Do you think he is attracted to me?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)
  1. wifelv profile image60
    wifelvposted 13 years ago

I work out at a gym 6 days a week and have seen a guy whom I have been attracted to for the last 4 months. In the mean time several men have been drawn to me and regularly come up to me to talk, flirt or help me work out. Previously this guy I am attracted to did not pay attention to me. About a month ago he started to notice all the guys coming around me and he is beginning to show signs of perhaps being interested. I have noticed him laughing with other guys around me and when I work out in an area he seems to walk over and work out right near me. He does not make eye contact but from a distance I can see him glance at me though the mirrors. At first I thought he was married but recently found out he was not, or even in a relationship. One of his work out buddies stopped to talk with me and I said, "too bad your friend is gay because he is quite attractive." They guy laughed and said, "what? he's not gay!" I lied just to find out if he was married. I said, "oh some guy told me he was." So his friend went back to him and teased him. The next day he was nervous but upbeat and again when ever I would use a piece of equipment he would get on the one next to me. I keep getting other men talking with me and I wonder if that is making him nervous. I think it is good that I do have other men interested in me but I would prefer him to come around. I am playing the classic hard to get game. I find that men need a challenge especially a man like him who can clearly get most any gal he wants. The other guys say that too. So, I am not going to be like all the other women who chase him. I wonder if it is because I'm not chasing him is why he is not sure what to do with me.  My question is, do guys always make eye contact to show interest? Or do they try not to make eye contact because they are scared or feel inferior? Does having other men around me work to my advantage?  Hopefully I can get a mans opinion on this one. Thanks for your input.

1. profile image57
      bloominbecposted 13 years agoin reply to this

First let me be clear. I am not a guy. But since I have had some experience in this matter (quite a bit actually), I thought I might share some thoughts. Although eye contact is a traditional method of indicating interest, it isn't always used. Some don't like to be caught looking, so they only do it when they are pretty sure you aren't paying attention. Typically only very shy men wouldn't make eye contact out of fear, but they often check you out covertly. And most men do not feel inferior, even if they should. In fact, the men who may feel like you are out of their league often will be the first to approach you because they feel they have nothing to lose.

Having other men hanging around may work to your advantage initially, but may backfire. Not all men like dating social butterflies and dealing with constant competition. It makes it harder for him to stand out and earn your interest, if he is not a die-hard, competitive jock. Also, it makes it hard for him to find that opening which will dazzle you with his brilliance. The fact that he is choosing to work out near you is a pretty good indicator that he is intrigued, but he may have good reasons for not wanting to approach you. Perhaps he wants to overhear your conversations with other men to find out about your personality.

While men do enjoy the chase, keep in mind that if they date you only because you're the prize that the other guys are after, usually it won't be a match made in heaven. You will just be a trophy. And guys do like their trophies. But think of the trophy shelf that gets filled up and then only looked at when they are bragging to someone. Having other men around does broadcast your availability and creates gossip about you in the guys locker room. Just make sure it is positive gossip.

If you want to break the ice with him, make sure there is some time without the other guys around where he can approach you on his terms. You could help that out by creating an opportunity for him to notice you on a different level. Say you needed some change for the juice bar. Or perhaps you accidentally knocked your headphones out of your electronic music device and he got an earfull of your favorite tune. See if he looks at you then, and then see if he smiles or comments. Perhaps you could flirt a little with him by dousing him with a small bit of your favorite light body spray to help his workout area smell a little nicer.

There are many approaches you can take, but using other men to present a challenge isn't the best move at this point. If he has other women he is interested in, perhaps he will prefer to take the path of least resistance and before you know it he could be in a relationship with another woman and you will be left wondering what happened. While I am not advocating chasing him, you need to let him know you think he is interesting too. Men loved to have their egos stroked. So far you have let him know you thought he was gay, and maybe he's hanging around you just to prove he's not. He probably feels confident in his heterosexual life, but may wonder what gave you the idea that he was anything but straight. If your answer is because he hasn't put the moves on you yet, then you come across as arrogant. If it is because of the purple speedos he wears when working out, that's a good reason.

I think that after a month of playing around, it is time for at least a little small talk. After all, having a relationship with someone generally means you have to find something to talk about over dinner or in the morning. I say you should start now, because the longer you play hard to get, the more opportunities he will have in the real world to pursue other choices.

Hope this helps. I'd love any feedback on how it went. My hubname is bloominbec, and today is my first day hubbing, so you probably know better than I do how to reach me. Take care and happy hunting.

Bec

1. profile image51
        lillian148posted 13 years agoin reply to this

guys are hard to figure out. find out what u have in common(music movies sports) go up and say hello.if it was ment to be it will happen but fate cant happen if u just stand there.

2. gagig profile image59
        gagigposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hello wifelv:
        yes i contact is first thing, which is our communication channel.Girls are shy in doing first but men sometimes also hesitate to express ,may be you look muscular ...lol...sorry...
        when he complete his work out...you done ur 's, just go out of the gym same time and simple hand shake can add fuel to fire...just do and say hello to him...i  personally know ..girls have 440 volts in them.... literally speaking....
        it will work out actually...
        Take Care and have a Volcanic effect upon him..

siam
        http://hubpages.com/hub/Please-Dont-Laugh

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Wifelv,

If you're really interested in him and you want him to make the first move, then pick a secluded area, not normally your work out area, and see if he follows you and repeats the same pattern he has been doing. If he chooses a machine next to you, and you've gone out of your way to relocate, then there is a good chance his actually interested in you, but too timid to make the first move.

What is his reasons? Who knows and why care at that point. You will have learned what you needed to know. The next move is up to you, not him.

If he does pick a machine next you, even though you went out of your way to move to a secluded place, then break the ice by asking for his assistance. Then gauge his reaction from that.

If he tries to gain leverage, so as to brush against you or get close, then you know he is interested in you more than gauged originally. If he maintains his distance, then the move is up to you again. You can gauge his responses by your actions. Thus, deem if he is just shy or respectful.

Just my thoughts on it. And, I am a man, if that helps.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I think Bec gave you some very good advice.

all I would add. is let him know you're interested. say hello, be friendly. don't miss an opportunity by playing games. you've been attracted to him for 4 months. I say quit playing hard to get, and simply be yourself. you have absolutely nothing to lose unless you play too long and he loses interest.

4. aware profile image67
    awareposted 13 years ago

dang  i cant read all that

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)