Ladies: Do you find Masculine Dominance attractive, or just boorish?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (34 posts)
  1. profile image0
    American Tigerposted 13 years ago

I recently asked a group of single men, 23 to 35 years old, how they felt a woman would answer that question. Mixed reviews. I would love to get the many Hub-Lady's outlooks. This is as diverse and varied a group as I'll ever find.

Be as honest or brutal as you feel the answer warrants. Thank you ahead of time.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am not into being dominated any time or any place.

1. profile image0
        American Tigerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'll take that as a "not attractive", and thank you for the input, Skinner.

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

well...i read your hub and, so as not to throw off your hub's chi and since it relates to the topic of discussion i will comment here.

male dominance has nothing to do with taking over conversations, 'snagging the hottest chick in the room', not respecting other's opinions or taking someone's ideas and taking credit for them. that, to me, is arrogance and self-importance to the nth degree.

there is a difference, to me, in men who are confident yet respectful to others, including women, who know what a woman is about and how to handle her, including taking the lead in shall we say romantic encounters and men who just drive their tank of dominance over everything and everyone he encounters.

p.s. the only times "he" and "his" should be capitalized is when we are talking about God. and BDSM and that sort if stuff is sick, IMHO.

thank you.

1. profile image0

Just the one hub? I believe I've got 3 or 4 on the subject, thus far. ;-)

By all means, feel free to comment on any Hub of mine, in any manner you find warranted. If their chi cannot survive intelligent criticism, they need not remain posted.

Thank you very much for your input, Cosette. And the P.S.

3. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love when a man takes control... but only when I allow him to! heehee

1. profile image0

~clears his throat and snorts quietly~

That's not a man, Love. That's a puppet. But thank you for your input.

~chuckles~

4. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
      schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think it's exciting for sex......as long as you know you can 'pull the plug'

but not in everyday life---have to kick their ass, sob's!!

1. profile image0

A man whose ass you can kick, is doubtless going to be a real He-man in the sack. Then again, I'm known for my satirical nature.

Thank you for that, schoolgirl.

2. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

See? Masculine Dominance in the bedroom can either be extremely attractive or just plain ridiculous. It depends on the man. wink

1. ceciliabeltran profile image63
      ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol... totally depends on the man. If he's not normally a bully, but your slave in real life. The take charge change is really interesting. But bully in everyday life and bully in bed...that's called another thing.

1. profile image0

"Your slave in real life", Cecilia? ~chuckles deep in his throat~ Something you want to tell the class?

I'll mark you down as having said "really interesting".

Thank you for your input, Cecilia.

2. profile image0

Klara, can you elucidate some on what might separate the attractive from the ridiculous?

And thank you for your input.

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think it depends on the man's personality. You can have one man repeat the same behavior/same dialogue as another and it might come across as a complete goofball because he's not being himself. This is what I think about all people - everyone should be himself/herself above all else. If a man is sensitive, then he needs to act the way it feels natural to him, etc. A woman will pick up on the fact he's not acting normal if he tries to do otherwise, and chances are she won't find it attractive.
        I hope it helps. Sorry for the original short answer. I tend to be blunt sometimes. wink

1. profile image0

Thanks for the elaboration, Klara. (You say blunt like its a bad thing.)

My only contention with your very valid point, is that success leaves clues, and behaviors can be learned (and taught). 5 years ago, the Pick Up Artist (PUA) movement was flourishing among the nerds of 100 big cities across the globe. Social dorks who couldn't even approach a woman prior to their "training", found themselves closing like professional ball players inside of a month. Just by mimicking lines and methods developed by NLP wonks, and behavioral psychologists.

I know that seems far fetched, but feel free to look it up. I don't teach those methods, because they tend to create callous Don Juan's too jaded to find real love, and too obsessed with conquest to carry those skills into their Professional lives.

3. poetvix profile image57
    poetvixposted 13 years ago

I agree w/ Kiarawieck.  To elaborate a bit...
    Dominace by a man in the bedroom, as long as it is consentual by both parties can make for funky fun, if the man in question can pull it off.  He must be able to take command but remain humane... in other words it's a game, he still has to care about the female, to my way of thinking.

Outside that situation I don't care much for the idea.  I can see a man taking charge in a situation where he may be better suited to make decisions and have more experience such as a doctor when folks are sick and so forth.  But I think that in any relationship it has to be a give and take kinda thing with both parties being on somewhat equal ground. 

With all of that said I must further point out that what works for some people does not work for others.  Some woman like to be told what to do, how to think, what to feel, and so on... I'm just not one of them.

1. profile image0

I was trying to NOT dive right in to BDSM, vix. I had rather asked if you found it attractive, not was it fun in the bedroom. I appreciate your answer, never-the-less. I'll try not to imply anything about you by the direction you took the question. ;-)

1. poetvix profile image57
        poetvixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Upon further reflection, I can only say that the quality is attractive only to a point.  A dominant personality that is so because the people surrounding said persona give up power to him as he is clearly the best choice to be in charge is truly intoxicating to behold.

On the other hand, the dominant persona that is pushy, overbearing, arrogant, or pompus is not attractive at all.  This type of man impresses me as typically being insecure but trying to mask it.  Ones that take it to a physical extreme, i.e. bullies are the most unattractive of all of these. 

I guess it boils down to a matter of the dominace or power in question being given or taken.  The first is attractive beyond measure.  The second is repulsive.

1. profile image0

Vix, You have just defined the qualitative differences between Dominance and being domineering.

I am mining gold, here.

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I don't find a masculine dominance particularly attractive in a male or female. what I find most attractive is a man confident enough in himself to genuinely be himself, not trying to fit a stereotype.

1. ceciliabeltran profile image63
      ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i think this would be a better way to put it.

2. profile image0

So. Confidence, but not dominance. Thank you, Rebekah.

One of the key problems men face when challenged to "be themselves", is that they only have a vague idea of what that means. Most fall back on Mother's Best Behavior, which is so very Not "themselves".

5. Paradise7 profile image69
    Paradise7posted 13 years ago

I vote for boorish.  Definitely!  big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

1. profile image0

Vote duly noted. Thank you, Paradise7.

6. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 13 years ago

"I guess it boils down to a matter of the dominance or power in question being given or taken.  The first is attractive beyond measure.  The second is repulsive."

I agree with this statement.  I also want to add that each person replying might have a different idea of what constitutes "masculine dominance," any or all of which could be completely different from your own definition.  Perhaps it would be helpful if you described what you mean by "masculine dominance."

Good point panter about the clarification of terminology.

Sorry, Panther,

2. profile image0

I left the definition open to interpretation, specifically to garner feminine input without attempting to bias or influence the answers, Panther. My only indulgence in that regard was to offer boorish as an option.

Please understand that some of the guys I council have such a hard time making decisions, they rarely change lanes. Hardly a recipe for personal success.

Among a few other things, I am a retired bodyguard, and the single father of four daughters. There is no room for bullies or abuse in my philosophy.

Thank you for your input, PrettyPanther.

Vix? Some of your quotes will no-doubt make the cover of the work-book. You are a gem.

7. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

To me, male dominance speaks of harshness and brutality - the same as it would for females.  Definitely not attractive!

On the other hand, if we're talking about being submissive or dominant, then a man who is dominant is much more attractive than a submissive wimp.  Being dominant, to me, means having a stronger personality, a stronger presence in the room, a force from within. 

Physical strength or actions don't determine dominance - intentions mixed with respect and confidence do.  It's possible to be dominant with a lack of respect and little to no confidence - to me, a poor combination.

It's the men who know they're dominant and know how and when to use it properly that makes them most attractive.  The ones who don't are the ones you don't want to be involved with.

(Let's not confuse submissive with being shy or quiet, or a dominant person with abuse - they are all quite different and can be mixed or matched)

1. profile image0

It has been my experience that confidence is the very cornerstone of dominance. Those who lack confidence, attempting to ape dominance, are best described as domineering. And they are a blight on humanity.

I assure you, genuine masculine dominance has Nothing to do with harshness, or brutality.

Thank you for your input, Rafini.

1. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, domineering is the word!  Thank you....but isn't domineering the active form of dominance?  It comes from the same root word, right?

I don't think confidence has anything to do with someone being domineering, unless you want to say it's a lack of confidence.  No, confidence brings assertiveness, not domination.  Do you really think Hitler was confident?  I don't.  I think he may have been over-confident, but certainly not a proper balance.

You may not think masculine dominance has anything to do with harshness or brutality, but you are a man, right?  I think it's a little more difficult to be honest about the self in those respects because it's a generalization not something specific to yourself.  That would be like me talking about Feminine Wiles - can I really be honest about how it's used and what effect it has on men?  No, because each woman is different.

1. profile image0

Dominance is derived from confidence, self-assuredness, and proven experience. Dominance is quiet, composed and clear. Dominance will only raise it's voice as necessary, and can back up every word it speaks.

Being domineering comes from the other end of the spectrum: It is derived from insecurity and fear. Fear that others will discover how weak you actually are. It is expressed with bluster and threat, like the neck-frills of a skinny lizard. Brandished in the hopes that you will appear bigger than you actually are. People unfamiliar with genuine Dominance can be fooled by the domineering type, but rarely for very long.

8. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

yes in a way male dominance is attractive, by that I mean I love my man to be the man of the house, not a wimp, and sure of himself. That's what makes a home feel secure. Now I don't mean, a man who is bossy, and a dictator, just one who takes his role in the family seriously, not just being a wimp, who just lets what should be his role be taken over by other family members.

1. profile image0

So far, wimps don't seem to hold any attraction for the ladies of HubPages.

I like your description very much, Diane. Thank you for that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)