Traffic and Google indexing

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. seamist profile image61
    seamistposted 15 years ago

Hi everyone

I have a question and a problem. I joined Hubpages the very end of September. When I first submit my hubs, they recieve some traffic, and I check after a few days to make sure they are indexed with Google. If they are not indexed with Google, I use the free url submission services. However, I have noticed a problem. As usual, I recieve traffic initially, but then, most of the hubs dribble down to almost no traffic. Lately, on the hubs that have minimal traffic, I have rechecked to see if they are still indexed with Google. I have noticed a disturbing trend. Hubs that were once indexed with Google are no longer indexed with Google. I could understand this if they had time-sensitive content.However, most of my hubs do not have time-sensitive content. Since I was having this problem, I checked out some other hubsites, I have noticed the same trends on some of their older posts. Why does Google index the hubs and later on, they are no longer indexed? Any suggestions on this problem or my hubpages are greatly welcome. Thank you.

2. Peter Hoggan profile image68
    Peter Hogganposted 15 years ago

Hi seamist,

The problem is twofold. Firstly, if you sign out and try to navigate to an older hub by following links you will find it difficult to get to some of your older hubs (don’t use the search box).  Every extra click you are away from the index page the lower the chances of that page being indexed. Pages that can’t be indexed will eventually be dropped from the Google index.

Secondly, your personal RSS feed only provides links to your 10 most recent hubs, so as you publish more hubs they eventually get dropped from the RSS. When you set up groups or tags there is no associated RSS so this doesn’t help.

To keep your pages indexed you need to link to your hubs from pages that are themselves indexed (outside of HubPage). You could also set up multiple rss feeds on urls that you control that point to related hubs. For example create seperate feeds for polotics and education etc.  You should also register those feeds with feedburner or somewhere similar.

That should fix your indexing problem.

3. seamist profile image61

Thank you Peter. I appreciate the time you took to answer my question.
    Jen

4. riotgrrrl profile image69
    riotgrrrlposted 15 years ago

there must be no hope for me, as i didnt understand a word of that hmm

5. johnr54 profile image47
    johnr54posted 15 years ago

When you say they aren't indexed, do you mean they don't show in the Google cache or that they just aren't ranking for terms you think they should rank for?

I'm not aware of any hubs dropping out of the index completely.

Google does tend to rank fresh content higher at first, and then have it drop off.  The way to keep it ranking is to have more links coming into the hub, either from some of your own hubs, or outside using a variety of techniques ( aritlcle submissions, commenting on blogs, social bookmarking, etc.)

One easy way to build links to your hubs is to make sure that you use groups in your account, and all your hubs belong to one of your groups.  That's what builds the links at the bottom of a hub with arrows to the left or the right.

6. seamist profile image61

Hi John

When I take the hub's url and enter it into Google's search bar, the query results come back saying no results could be found.

7. LegendaryN8 profile image60
    LegendaryN8posted 15 years ago

This may seem a bit unusual, but if you post in other forums, it couldn't hurt to link relevant hubpages in your signature.

For instance, I link my hubpages about Dance Dance Revolution in my signature when I post in forums that talk about the game.  As long as you are relatively active in a forum, and your content is relevant, you should have a leveling effect, but it won't drop off entirely.

Granted, I'm new, so there may be others with better examples, but this is what I mean by the "leveling effect".

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/SunofGenji/searchexample.png

8. profile image0
    multimasteryposted 15 years ago

If you play your cards right the search engine spiders will find your pages.  No need to use those free spam submitters.  Create great content, generate plenty of backlinks, and use keywords that people use to search for your topic(s).

9. Inspirepub profile image71
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

Set up a blog at blogger.com or wordpress.com. Make blog posts which link to your hubs.

Google is always crawling those sites, so your Hubs will be spidered regularly enough to stay in the index.

Jenny

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)