Unfollowing

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (68 posts)
  1. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I have been working on unfollowing people.

I hate doing that, because I know sometimes people get insulted.  I mean no insult.

I like to give people a fair chance to engross me, but if they haven't been able to do that, I just don't want to see their links popping up.  It doesn't mean they are lousy writers, it just means they aren't writing anything that interests me, so why clutter my inbox?

I would hope that anyone following me would apply the same criteria.  If you don't care whether or not I ever put up another hub here, I would expect you to unfollow.

I know some people think of this as some social media politeness.  I see that quite iften - I follow someone and ten seconds later they are following me.  Well, maybe they should be; if I was interested in them maybe the reverse is true.  But.. I definitely do not expect that and don't even WANT it unless you have genuine interest. So please do not be polite just to be polite.

I suppose hurting someone's feelings is unavoidable, but I hope not to just the same.

1. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe today they don't write something you're interested in, but maybe next week they will and you wont know about it because you unfollowed them. 

I guess....to each their own. hmm

Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't unfollow because of one hub  :-)

But would you choose to follow due to one hub....?

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
            Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes I would, because otherwise you might lose track of them.  And that's why I sometimes unfollow later - because their subsequent Hubs don't live up to the promise of the first one.  Or they write about a subject I like for their first Hub, then go off on a tangent for their later ones.

I'm curious to know Pcunix's response. hmm

I personally don't see any reason to unfollow someone.  All new hubs come together in a daily email and I can pick and choose which ones to read.  If I followed someone because I liked their hubs, their profile, their writing, or their forum posts, why would that change?  Just because everything they write isn't to my liking?  I can't see it.

As I said, to each their own. hmm

But what if I follow someone because they're also a dancer, so I assume they're going to write about dancing - but they don't, and their topics are of absolutely no interest to me? People do change tack - perhaps they realise their original topic wasn't making money, for instance.

And if I follow several hundred people, I get an email that's miles long - I'd prefer to get an email that's shorter, where I know all the Hubs listed will be of a good standard and on subject I like.  Why should I have to scan through a whole lot of other stuff?

I'd never follow someone because I liked their profile or their forum posts, I'm not sure I see the point of that.

Some people do, therefore my reiterated statement of:  To each their own.

Remember the other side:   

I don't want followers.  I want readers.

If you follow me and never read, what is the point?  If I follow you and never read, what have you gained?  It's just a meaningless social media number.

Why do you bother?

2. camlo profile image85
                camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree!

2. Pcunix profile image90

Yes, of course.   Though usually it would be at least two or three.

Note to new hubbers:   you might not want to start following other people until you have a fww hubs of your own.

Read slowly so you understand:  followers by them selves are meaningless.   If someone has 20 followers who actually read what they write, that's better than someone with 2,000 so called followers who do not.   So, unless you are really just into collecting meaningless numbers, you do not care about followers per se.

You DO care about readers.  Readers are the ones who might recommend your hub to others, who might link to it.   If you follow another hubber or leave an interesting comment or forum post or question, that could trigger them to look at your profile.  If they find no hubs or even just one or two hubs, they may not bother to follow.

So, for that reason only, you might want to have a few good hubs to show before you start other activity here.

2. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with this. I currently only follow one Hubber. I assume that most of my followers signed up because they agreed with something I said or did or wrote. I am honored by that, and always happy to help them out where I can. Not in my wildest dreams would I ever ask them to unfollow me, in fact I would think it rude to do so.

There are no universal values - to each their own.

2. profile image0
      King Larryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

well i don't think you ever followed me to begin with, so it doesn't bother me.  however, i don't see what the big deal is then.  people unfollow others here all the time.  heck, i'll admit, i lost some followers too recently.  idk why that is, but life moves on.  besides, this isn't a social networking site like facebook or myspace where people add others that they want to become friends with. ideally, you add people with hubs that peek your interest as a reader. although you can become good friends with the writers at hubpages if you want through via forums.  however, there's no obligation if you follow someone that they'll follow you back.  trust me, i've tried that when i first got here, and it didn't work.  lol.  therefore, i don't see why it's a big deal.  personally, i don't even think you should've had this forum to begin with, as im sure NOW people who you did unfollow are going to be checking their follower's list to see if your still on it.  versus if you didn't say anything, probably about half of them would've checked their list....

3. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

PCunix, pay no mind to feelings, who wants to follow a person they'll never read and good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you noticed lately though, the mass followings of day old hubbers to the most experienced hubbers and the rest of us, for each fan mail I get that says 'follow me too' not only clearly do I not but also deny their request to follow me.

Go Girl!

Wait, am I following you?

Did you de-follow me

I swear I will just keep following you lol  no, seriously i'll cry. I am emotional so think of me as a special case lol  no seriously

4. Marisa Wright profile image84

I see it exactly the same way.  In the days before HubPages started to morph into a social network, followers were called "fans", and you joined someone's fan club because you admired their Hubs, not to be friendly.  That's still a legitimate way to use the system, IMO.

The idea of following is that you get notified of Hubs you'll want to read.  If I sign up to follow too many people, that notification gets overwhelmingly long and I end up reading less, not more.  So if I'm going to genuinely follow, rather than collect meaningless numbers, I need to prune my list every now and then so it stays manageable.

I don't ask anyone to follow me and I never automatically reciprocate.  I've gone through and trimmed my list several times.  None of that seems to be affecting the number of people who follow me, but it wouldn't worry me if it did.  Each to their own.

Exactly.  Supposedly I have 169 followers.  If they really were following, I would expect to see something close to that number from HP reading each new hub.  Nope, it is usually less than half.  So why follow?

It is the same silliness with RSS. I supposedly have more than 2,000 at my main site, but in reality it's a few hundred who actually read. 

It is all "social media" nonsense and I do not want any of it.

5. KKalmes profile image60
      KKalmesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hello PC, I have found, being relatively new, that it is probably a good idea to be discretionary with your fan mail... read a few hubs, read their profile, when you get a couple dozen followers you might keep up reading their latest hubs, but when you get over fifty, a hundred, it gets rough and as far as I'm concern if you are going to follow someone you owe them some loyalty to read.

However, having said that... their are only so many recipes and widgets that can keep me entertained, so while I may view I may not review.

And, political hubs are really going to get steam escaping from some cracked heads, so it might be nice to know who is getting your new hub post email... if you're a glutton for punishment go for it and the heck with discretion.

I really wanted 100 fans so it will be awhile before I un-fan anyone.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

This is a tough town… I find you to be a fellow fine human being in your own right.smile

Edit: Nice hat.

3. luvpassion profile image63
    luvpassionposted 13 years ago

They may grieve but they'll eventually move on.

wink

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL

4. lady_love158 profile image60
    lady_love158posted 13 years ago

I'll need some followers before I can work on unfollowing! hehe

1. Sex Sells profile image58
      Sex Sellsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My feeling exactly.  Hello to all Hubbers

5. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 13 years ago

You are probably going to devastate them to the point of needing psychiatric help with their abandonment issues.  sad

LOL

6. Richieb799 profile image76
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Some people seem to think followers are important but why not create your writing first and let the rest follow..It annoys me slightly when you see newbies who have published only 2 hubs or less with a big list of 'Newbie is now following Richie, Newbie is now following LuvPassion, Newbie is following Pcunix' etc etc down their page and they don't even leave fanmail

I know.

I will at least look at their hubs if they follow me.  If they show some promise, I may follow, though often it is just impossible.  But if the promise falls flat, why continue?

And again, it only means *I* didn't enjoy them.  I dislike Stephen King :-)

2. camlo profile image85

I tend to agree. Worst of all is when they've written 0 Hubs, which is sometimes the case, then I really see no reason to follow back.

3. saddlerider1 profile image59
      saddlerider1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree Richie. I to have housecleaned. I see no sense in following someone who pops into my hub and follows me, yet does not even leave a comment on a hub, I understand their are many who just want to read and not comment, each to their own methods. However anyone I follow I try by best to leave comments as the reason I  am following them in the first place is because I like what they are writing. There are far to many like you said with 2 hubs and 100 or more followers, what's that all about? I guess it's bercause they are following those 100 by click only, so those 100 followers felt it incumbent to follow back, but why? So I have house cleaned and deleted many who I followed but never ever heard back from with any left comments. When and if those followers I stopped following see that I've stopped following them wish to stop following me that will be fine. It reduces my email news and allows me to focus and read the ones who I follow and who follow me often.

7. Spacey Gracey profile image39
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

omg - I was wondering who the culprit was and then I check the forums to find you volunteering yourself. I was tip-toeing towards a new milestone and then 'someone' unfollowed me!

I am off to gaze at my navel and contemplate how unfair life is.

Pcunix - I can't think of any of your hubs I've read but I'm gonna follow you because I love reading your forum posts smile

Nope.  I was not following you.  I have not yet read your hubs to see if I should.

8. camlo profile image85
    camloposted 13 years ago

I've never unfollowed a fellow Hubber. Every morning, with my morning coffee, I scroll through the email that tells me who has written which Hubs, and click on at least three of the links for a morning read ... some of those I've followed just because they are following me, some I've followed just because I like them, and the rest I've followed for 'the right reasons'. Whatever, I find nearly all have written Hubs that I find interesting at one time or another - sometimes even all of the time.

I do the same.  But it is time to winnow the list.

1. camlo profile image85

Well, the list I receive is pretty long, but I can't imagine how long it has to get for me to put my foot down, say enough is enough, and start unfollowing ... no, it won't happen.

9. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

have you always disliked Stephen King? or was he cool at one point?

Im not sure how people would notice an unfollow, there is no notification - and if you actually view your fan/follower list it only shows 15-20 at a time

I think he is a very poor writer.  Never liked him at all.

Which is meant to show that if I don't like someone, a few milion other people still could.

1. sunforged profile image70
        sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

his book "On Writing" is pretty well regarded by writers.

His Popular Fiction is just a matter of taste - I would tend to agree that he has many more misses than hits - poor writer is a bit of  stretch

..sorry, please continue back on topic, wink

10. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

Whew PC still showing as following, but the topic is if u following me, so must check later lol  no seriously

11. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 13 years ago

I currently have 55 'followers'.  However, I doubt whether too many of them are actively following me, judging by the commenters on my hubs.  I only follow about 12, mostly because I like what they write about.

Hi Kim, how's everything wit' you? smile

12. elayne001 profile image77
    elayne001posted 13 years ago

I only unfollow people who are very offensive or swear at me. Not a fan of vulgarity. I do not mind those who get a little wild in the forums - they give me a good laugh, but personal attacks I do not appreciate, although I have forgiven a few. Sorry you feel you have to unfollow hubbers. Wouldn't it be a better use of your time to write some new hubs to get some more money? Unfollowing does not lose you anything but followers. Just mho

13. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 13 years ago

I follow 1/100th of the amount of people who follow me.

14. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

As long as someone’s profile/hubs are not deviant or fanatic, I always follow them back.

Edit: It is always time later to “edit”.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

To read Stephen King is like eating doughnut for dinner...well, he is not a writer, he is a money-maker and he knows how to do that perfectly.

2. Lily Rose profile image87
      Lily Roseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think that's just ridiculous.  The point of following is not to just reciprocate when someone follows you.  I especially hate when someone follows me, then writes me some fan mail saying "I hope you follow me, too!"

When I receive notification that someone new is following me, I'll take a quick glimpse at their profile and a hub or two and I'll follow them if, and only if, they seem to be writing stuff that I might find interesting.  Otherwise, I just don't have the time.

Pcunix - I hear ya!  I haven't unfollowed anyone in a while, but I've been very choosey as to who I follow, so I don't get overwhelmed with emails.  I wonder, though, unless the person you're unfollowing only has a few followers, they couldn't possible notice who unfollowed them unless they're keeping their own list, right?

Well, "couldn't possibly" covers a lot of ground.  I can easily write a Perl script that grabs the Follow list and compares it to what it was at a previous time.  That's trivial for anyone with a bit of Internet programming skill.

But, yes, it would be hard to do that by visual inspection if you have more than a few pages of followers.

15. 4x4 profile image61
    4x4posted 13 years ago

Of course, but some people get offended or hurt for more insignificant reasons than that.

Anyway, my take is that you followed somebody on your own free will, then you should be able to unfollow them later on as you see fit and for your own reasons--whatever they maybe (even for no apparent reason). People should allow you to change your mind, right?

But of course be prepared for the wrath to come.

LOL

16. MPG Narratives profile image60
    MPG Narrativesposted 13 years ago

I only follow someone if I'm interested in their writing so it wouldn't bother me if I was 'defollowed'. Who has time to read everything anyway? Go for it Pcunix, defollow away.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Same here.   I've done the thing where I think it looks like someone may be someone who writes what I'm interested in, but then they'll write about completely different stuff for the next 80 Hubs.  It's all fine and nothing personal.

17. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

I become 'suspicious' of new followers who are on an apparent "following streak."  I do look at their Hubtivity to make sure this isn't the case, but all in all, I will read anyone's profile if they find me worth following.

18. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I'm glad to know you're still following me pcunix!

And I'd agree about unfollowing people. I'm not really bothered about it but occasionally I go through people I follow and if, say someone had joined HP and written three great hubs then hadn't done anything in three months, I'll unfollow them.

But I don't get notifications of new hubs each day I just am on enough to click the icon on my personalised home page, which I regularly do when I'm bored with hubbing and forums are slow.

19. MPG Narratives profile image60
    MPG Narrativesposted 13 years ago

Just a by the way...some people (me included) don't post hubs on a regular basis due to work commitments, other home stuff, whatever the reason. Take this into account before you let someone go, their next hub could be awesome.

Actually if someone's not posting Hubs, I won't bother "unfollowing", because they're not showing up in my notification email anyway. 

I'm guilty of following people too easily sometimes, maybe because something about their first Hub caught my eye or they said they liked dancing.  Then I read their later Hubs and realize they're either not a good writer, or (more usually) that I'm bored by or indifferent to their subjects.  That's my usual reason for unfollowing.

Of course.   If you haven't been in my notification mail, I'm not going to notice you.

Are you as tired as I am?

Nope :-)

20. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

I am a writer who writes on a variety of topics and it really depends on my mood and the time that I have available.  I've written articles that will split your seams with laughter and other articles that will leave you sitting in a pool of tears.

If you chose to follow me and base your followship on the links that are sent daily, then you may choose not to follow me because I didn't write on a topic that catches your interest for that day.  That's a shame.

As for cluttering up your inbox, change your settings to have a summary report sent to you once a day.  One email that contains all the new hubs by the hubbers you follow.  It's simple.  That way,  you don't miss any good hubs that you otherwise would miss.

But hey, I'm just a polar bear lovin' kinda girl that wears bikinis on ice flows.  smile  What do I know....

That's what I was trying to say, thanks for putting it so well. smile

1. Beth100 profile image70
        Beth100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Rafini....are we one of the same??!?  Seems this happens between us a lot.  smile  How are you?

Good.. How are you?

One of the same?.....I don't think so, I mean, I do like the cold weather better than the hot and humid, but nobody would catch me wearing a bikini on ice flows!!  lol

lol  Well, ya know...when you're young and dumb and  ya just don't know better?  I did this on another occasion while visiting the Columbia Ice Fields.  I think I was the only one dressed for summer weather.  I mean, it was mid-August!!  It's summer, isn't it?!?  lol  Honestly, I think the lady with the fur hat, coat and muffs was out of place.  lol

lol  Okay, ya got me there!  smile

You aren't reading what I said.

If I followed you and found that I loved 25% of your new hubs, I'd keep following.   Why wouldn't I?

I don't read every single hub of every single hubber I follow and if there is anyone who follows me who reads every single thing I write, well, they must not have much going on in their life because most of us only have time to read the things that are really important to us.

Everything you write doesn't have to grab me.   Just enough to keep me interested.  One out of a hundred?  No.  One out of five?  Maybe.  Three out of five?  No question.

And yes, I do get the summary.

My apologies.  I did not read what you posted carefully.  smile

I'm still recovering from the side effects of modern technogoly in the medical field.  I swear I didn't sign up to be a guinea pig!  But alas, it's part of my contract... and I digress.

I understand what you are saying now.  Thanks for clarifying that.  smile  Enjoy your weekend!  smile

1. profile image60
          logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Any special augmentations we should know about? smile

Huh?!?  I'm not good enough the way I am?!?  boo hoo hoo logic!  sad

(I'm just kiddin' around with you.  smile  No, no augmentation unless my new horns fall under that category....... wink  )

21. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

I follow who I want. I have no rhyme or reason.

I followed a couple of hubbers who left comments on some of my hubs, but whose English language skills were not great. I reciprocated and we even exchanged emails. Giving them encouragement paid off, it seems. Their hubs improved remarkably, and became very interesting.

People come here for a lot of different reasons. My focus is not writing and making money, I'm a composer. But I do love to write, and I do like the diversity of the community. I had no idea about this "fan" concept, turned "follower." I ignored it for months and months, as well as the forums and the net result is that I became engrossed with the forums, got to know people, and saw the value of following and followers. We each handle it differently.

22. camlo profile image85
    camloposted 13 years ago

There was a similar thread a few months ago: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/40240?page=2

23. Medora Trevilian profile image60
    Medora Trevilianposted 13 years ago

When a person has a great many followers, losing one may not signify anything, and he might not even notice, and certainly would be hard pressed to determine which one it was. But when we have only three or four followers, you can be sure that any loss will be duly noted and mourned.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)