Would you quit your day job...

Jump to Last Post 1-40 of 40 discussions (77 posts)
  1. bileygur profile image60
    bileygurposted 13 years ago

..if you would make enough of money with your hubs?

Or just keep your old boring 9 to 5 job smile

1. warchild75 profile image64
      warchild75posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes i would my goal is to make £1500 a month and sustain that for a year then i would quit and concentrate on it full time.!!

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I doubt anyone could earn enough on HubPages to quit their day job.  There are Hubbers here who work online full-time, but they have a diverse online portfolio including Hubs, blogs and websites. 

Having said that - no, I wouldn't quit my day job completely even if I could earn enough here.  I've tried it, and I found working at home too isolating.

1. netlexis profile image65
        netlexisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's always good to diversify and have many streams of income. Counting on just one source is not a good business model (example: eHow). But to answers the question: in a heartbeat and my goal (but it might take a couple years).

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I earn enough money from hubpages to live off of now. Comfortably if I was living in most of the United States. I am just stupid enough to live in one of the most expensive places on the planet.

My main issue has been gaining weight as this is the first time in my life I spend my working day sat on my ass. Dealing with that now.

Wat a day job? lol

1. thisisoli profile image70
          thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's actually jesus's response to your forum posts tongue

3. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would probably try to work part-time.
      I agree with Marisa on the isolation. The day needs to be structured for me and if home 24/7, I'm quite sure I would go crazy.  If I did write online full-time for work, I would take my laptop to a bookstore or Panera or a coffee shop just to be around others and get out of the house at least a few days a week. I think it's important to communicate in the real world, face to face with people, and not just online or with devices.

bileygurposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with you on that.   I am actually luck enough to have still the control where and when I work (with in certain frame though), I love spending some part of my day working in on a coffee. 

I think the social part is also just important for getting ideas.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
          rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think so. I really enjoy being out and observing people and having casual conversations. I do some of my most productive writing/work when I'm out of the house.

I do think it helps if people are working at home to follow a routine, get up and get ready for the day like a regular job.

more and more people are now telecommuting, working for a company at home. but the isolation factor is a big one and should be considered.

4. HalJordan profile image58
      HalJordanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is obviously a theoretical question.  On the other hand, give or take a couple of commish only sales jobs I have been living on just writing gigs but obviously none of my income was from HERE.
      The trouble is, even if you made enough money from ads here on HP there are no benefits!

2. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Well, considering I quit my day job before hubbing, I think I'd say, Yes! big_smile

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL Same here. Long before smile

3. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I just need to break through this stubborn 23 cents a month barrier, then I'm on my way baby!

He he smile Yes, I assume that you are not paying allot of bills with that smile

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that's why I got a wife

smile

Good one smile  Well my wife also makes more than me, but then again she does not work for a startup smile

2. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why brag like that and make the rest of us feel bad!
      Big man now with yer 23 cents eh?

4. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I quit my Day Job already :p

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have 10 to 7 job and I am earning 8 cents more than Greek One on Hubpages. Actually looking for a second job recently. Not a big chance in Toronto.

2. bileygur profile image60

Hey Oli,

Yes I know.  But you are also doing amazing things with your hubs.  Pretty cool things.

3. eli grey profile image59
      eli greyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I quit my job to focus on writing but have hardly written a thing these past three months. Do I regret it? I told myself I wouldn't and I don't. Still have money in the bank and a family who's still willing to put up with me. No, I'm not leeching off of them. I want a job as a writer or an assistant to a writer. I almost fell into another job doing what I did before; a mail clerk. Not fun when you're working with the wrong people. Hire me.

5. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

If i do that then chances are my weight will increase for sure. So, Big NO. neutral

It would be the oposite with me smile Sit by desk most of the time.

6. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 13 years ago

Being a mother is rather hard to quit, so no, I would keep my job.  smile  However, I would like my husband to be able to quit his job, and focus on something he really loves to do (besides fishing), so I do have financial goals with my writing.

Yes, I actually would also like to spend some more time fishing.  Love to stay out site hiking and fishing.

7. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

No, I wouldn't quit.  My job gives me a break from everything else!  smile

8. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 13 years ago

Well, I don't have a boring 9-5 job. I really enjoy my work, so I'd probably just rake in the €s on both.

9. Richieb799 profile image76
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Yeah I'm the same as Camlo except I don't love my day job, probably need that pay and and extra 1500 to live over here lol

Well, I do love my day job.  I really do. 

Still i wonder if I was making enough of money if I would spend more time doing other things.

10. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Nah I wouldn't quit.

11. Paradise7 profile image69
    Paradise7posted 13 years ago

I already quit my day job.  Lovin' it!  big_smilebig_smilebig_smile!

Only getting net income?  Enough to make your living from it?

12. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

My aim is to build up enough wealth that I can quit everything; and for once in my life think about, and do, shallow, mundane, unproductive and useless things.  lol  (It would just be nice to have that for a few years before I drop dead.  lol  )

1. Paradise7 profile image69
      Paradise7posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You go, girl!  big_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smile

2. bileygur profile image60

Great goal smile

3. Cordale profile image70
      Cordaleposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Same here! I'm trying to crack this hubpage thing and make a few thousand a month by the time I'm 25. Still learning and writing. Will see where it takes me smile

13. eli grey profile image59
    eli greyposted 13 years ago

I don't care that I quit my job. It was the right thing to do because, hey, I did it. Schools startin so my niece and brother will be out of the house which means more me time. I'm gonna focus on my writing and look for a job. I want to be a writer's assistant or work for a publishing company. As long as I'm close to the action, I'll feel inspired.

14. Kidgas profile image63
    Kidgasposted 13 years ago

If I could pay all the bills with passive income, I would focus on improving my golf game.

15. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

If I had the choice, I'd be out there in the work-place, but the recession here in Spain took that choice away from me. There are not many people who want to employ someone my age with a broken back - they see me as a liability even though I am almost as able as the next person.
    I love what I am doing online, but how much nicer it would be to have a regular wage coming in while waiting on the income to build here.

16. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 13 years ago

Not exactly quit but it might be the other way around. This will become my day job and my day job right now will become my part - time job smile.

17. Shopping-Online profile image64
    Shopping-Onlineposted 13 years ago

I have held on to the same job as employee in a Nationalized Bank after I passed my MBA 15 years back and look forward to retire after 15 years and reap all rewards. In the meanwhile, i can write 2-3 hubs a week here for making some extra money to fulfill my Shopping Addiction. I am new here and do not make much money out of my Hubs anyway

18. hawkdad73 profile image60
    hawkdad73posted 13 years ago

I would if I had a day job!

Hey, sorry for that.  Hope you at least grap the opportunity and see if you have the possibility of earning some alternative income from this and of course by doing other stuff as well.  I think every one agrees this can be done in combination with other stuff you do.

19. jacobkuttyta profile image43
    jacobkuttytaposted 13 years ago

Thanks for your good advises.

20. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I don't have a day job - I'm retired.

21. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Been there, done that, and never looked back.

I really believe that you can make enough money on HP alone to live well (mortage, health insurance, food etc.) - if you treat it like a serious business and not an artsy pastime.

I'll probably reach that point in the next year. However, it would make me nervous to have all my apples in one basket. It's not a bad place to start however.

Oh and as far as isolation goes, you just go outside and make friends, like anyone else!

Well, the best of luck smile

I really enjoy hearing success stories.  As far as my 10 USD income from the beginning, I am not sure I will pay of much of the mortgage I already have.

22. HalJordan profile image58
    HalJordanposted 13 years ago

See?  Even the exception to the rule would not put all his eggs into one basket!  THAT should tell you something about the idea.  Heed his words of wisdom!

23. swapna123 profile image60
    swapna123posted 13 years ago

I already quit my day job even though I don't make a penny from here smile So, Yes !

24. rmcrayne profile image91
    rmcrayneposted 13 years ago

Yep, I'd probably quit my day job. Going backward now.  When I retired from the Air Force, I took a year and a half off.  Now I have to go back to work to support my writing habit.

25. profile image0
    Precious Williamsposted 13 years ago

Not just for hub pages no.  For online writing and marketing yes.  I wish I hadn't spent so much of my life being too afraid to take a risk.  Now I know life is too short not to have a go.  Seriously if it doesn't work out - one can do something different.  The one thing that the majority of successful business people have in common is that they have normally had some substantial business failure.

26. Wayne Orvisburg profile image63
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 13 years ago

I would definitly quit my day job! The beauty of this writing stuff is you can do it whenver you want and wherever you want. This would make it much easier to pursue the things that I love and try to earn a living with that. Plus, I could possibly do more traveling, which in turn would give me more to write about.

27. Susana S profile image92
    Susana Sposted 13 years ago

I quit my day job and it's been great. The only thing is I am putting on weight and I smoke too much when I'm writing, so it's not great for my health at the moment!

Are you focusing on one thing or many different tactics to earn income?

1. Susana S profile image92
        Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's about 50% hubpages and 50% freelance work at the moment. I just don't have enough hours in the day to create more sites nor the cash to pay others for content right now.....but that will change.

28. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 13 years ago

I quit my day job three years ago smile. Hubpages is far from my only income stream...or even the best, so far...but I'm working on bulking it up a bit and so far my efforts are paying off well. It just takes a little push to get more passive income going, and the new baby on the way has finally pushed me to start doing all the keyword optimizing, promotion, etc. that I kept putting off, as well as acquiring my own domains to apply what I've learned there. That said, writing and the occasional transcription or notetaking, all online, is my entire full-time income, which adds up to quite a bit more than I was making in my "9-5".

It is great to hear that you are making good income here.  Congratulations.  Wish that was the same here.

29. profile image50
    sofiajohnson8posted 13 years ago

Yes if I have enough money to finance all my needs.  I can do some home based work so that I can focus on something else not staying in the office for a very long hours.  I can make productive things in my time.

30. Lily Rose profile image87
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

I wish I made enough here to be equivalent to a 9-5 job!  Even if I did, I couldn't quit my day job because I'm on call 24/7 as a mom - that's my job.  (Sometimes I wish I could quit my job - just for a few hours! LOL!)

31. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

I don't write hubs to make money.  I don't work my "9 to 5" to make money either. My first husband left me with the financial means to do just about anything I want, including nothing at all, if I so choose. 

However, I love my work and I work for the love of it. I have my own interior design business and wouldn't dream of doing anything else. 

What could be better than that?

1. eli grey profile image59

you sound like a friend of mine only hehasnt worked in almost a whole year.

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't sound like your friend is anything like her then. If he is male, so is unlikely to have a "first husband", and if he doesn't have a job, then the only similarity can be having lots of money. The similarities are uncanny hmm

1. Disturbia profile image60
          Disturbiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes they are, aren't they... LOL

2. eli grey profile image59

This friend so happens to be gay.

his options are the same.

So was my first husband... gay I mean.  Well he admitted to being bi, but my gut feeling told me gay all the way.

yeesh. This could be a fun conversation. I'll keep an eye out for your hubs.

wink

32. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

I would quit my day job if I still had it!

Unfortunately I have not had a regular job since Jan of 2009.
    I am living off my pension, and unemployment. I keep track of my hubpages earning and so far I have only made a whopping $1.98 the whole time I have been here, and zero on amazon.

I think the internet is ruining are economy. Sure it is good to be able to have access to all of this stuff for free, but, that's a problem, as now you can find way too many things for free online, and it makes people who write for a living have a harder time of making decent money, as there is a million times more competition out there. And, that doesn't include all of the stuff that is pirated.

The only people making money these days are the people who know how to work the internet through advertising, and setting up websites without a middle man sucking up all their profits.
    I know if I was more computer smart, I might be able to do the same. But, I also know there is a ton of competition coming there as well.

I wonder what would happen if we suddenly lost the internet, and all the robots that took away hundreds and thousands of jobs in the world. Could we go back?

33. sugz profile image67
    sugzposted 13 years ago

i already quit my day job.. now i have too much time to waste even tho i work online, and i do pretty ok. have never made a cent on HP yet ho, but then, i also don't know how to yet haha

i'm too busy having fun...

34. PurpleOne profile image79
    PurpleOneposted 13 years ago

I would love to be able to quit my day job because I make enough money on HP to be able to sustain myself comfortably. Lately I have been very unhappy in my day job so have been very motivated in trying to get hubpages to work for me. I don't have kids and would love the freedom to be able to travel whenever I want to without having to get approved for vacation from my job.

35. Denise Handlon profile image86
    Denise Handlonposted 13 years ago

yes, in a heartbeat

36. Patiopursuit profile image60
    Patiopursuitposted 13 years ago

yup

37. gracenotes profile image88
    gracenotesposted 13 years ago

I quit my full-time job two years ago.  A bit early for retirement (age 56), but I was just the right age to be covered by the retiree medical insurance.

I have a small monthly income, and some savings, so that helps keep me afloat as I work toward earning a supplementary income as a web publisher.

Once I quit my job, I never looked back. Love the freedom, absolutely love it.

And, I must say that I am appalled at what has happened to my former workplace.  Layoffs last year, and just two weeks ago.  My former department just decimated, just destroyed.

38. I am DB Cooper profile image64
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

Absolutely. I don't have a very stimulating day job, and if I could support myself with my Hubs and other sources of revenue I would in a heartbeat.

39. Mmiller_89 profile image65
    Mmiller_89posted 13 years ago

I would quit today if I could! Hopefully it will happen eventually, just need to come up with ideas. I'm grateful I have a job at least, even if it is an hour and a half away from home.

40. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I have been working for myself most of my life and the Internet has been a big part of that since 1991.   The advertising income, affiliate sales and the trickle of ebook sales income is certainly nice - it takes the edge off for sure, and as I get closer to retirement, it's very nice.   It's like having a few hundred thousand extra in retirement funds in terms of the income it brings.

I'm 62 now and this economic downturn definitely affected my customers.  Business is off 30-40%, so we aren't living high on the hog (not tha we ever really did, but we were pretty good to ourselves).

I just don't have the right psychological makeup to make full time money from writing, so no, I wouldn't quit the rest because I'm simply unable to to do it.   Making money - serious money - this way would be much harder work than I am interested in and frankly it involves promotional activities I am not entirely comfortable with.  I have to like myself, and I don't see any way to make enough money with this stuff without compromising myself somewhat.

So, I'm happy with the extra I get.  It's enough - it pays the mortgage and the car and a few other things.   I don't need more.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)