Are people too sensitive to memorial crosses on America's highways?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Gerber Ink profile image90
    Gerber Inkposted 13 years ago

"These memorials have the impermissible effect of conveying to the reasonable observer the message that the state prefers or otherwise endorses a certain religion." -10th Circuit Court of Appeals

Do you feel that these crosses should be taken down, or do you think they should just be left alone?  When/if you see one of these crosses, do you automatically connect them with anything having to do with the state?  Should people also have to take down other memorials that are along the highways as well (those for people other than the troopers) if they have a cross in them?

1. Tim_511 profile image76
      Tim_511posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It looks like the 10th Circuit is trying to overtake the 9th Circus Court for the most ignorant decisions.

1. Jim Hunter profile image59
        Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"the 9th Circus Court"

Excellent description.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
          Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Plagiarized from Rush Limbaugh, which explains the utter ignoramouslishidiobaselessnesstification of it.

If Palin can do it, we all can do it. smile

1. Jim Hunter profile image59
            Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

u rite goodly

2. Tim_511 profile image76

Actually, I've heard it from a number of different sources - I'm not sure where I heard it first, but it might have been on Rush.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
              Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I heard it on Rush about 15 years ago.  It makes about as much sense as "feminazis".

1. Tim_511 profile image76

They are overturned by the SC far more often than any other circuit court and regulary use ridiculous reasoning to get their decisions.  If the shoe fits...

I supposed if you're a leftist (I'm new, so I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing you are), you probably like their decisions, so it makes sense that you may disagree.

2. Set's All Set profile image68
      Set's All Setposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We have freedom of religion here in the states. Some people are not aware that we also have freedom FROM religion. Sadly, these crosses are left standing because people don't care enough to speak out against it. But if the state knows that these crosses are up and they don't do anything about it, then that's where things get messy.

Separation of state and church must be respected. Just as kids are not required to pledge allegiance "under god" anymore, this separation must be enforced.

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

That's an absolutely disgusting government attitude!

Families often leave memorial crosses along with bunches of flowers at places where people died in car accidents [here in Australia].

And all anyone thinks is "How awful that they lost someone" and hopefully slows down as well. A memorial cross is a better traffic regulator than a big sign, because it's real.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

So long as families can leave whatever type of memorial shape they like (Star, Cross, Crescent etc), and it is treated the same, I don't see any issue.

1. Ivorwen profile image66
      Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  Around here I see almost as many dream catchers staked at the side of the road as I do crosses.  They are treated with the same respect and left for a season.

4. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

For sheer emotional impact, these memorials definitely capture attention. I know I always look twice and make a mental note "How sad, someone (or a car full of someones) died right here."
    The problem, I believe, is that that is public land. Does a private citizen have a right to use public land for their own private use? Maybe these families get building permits or something... IDK.

Here in my neighborhood there was a horrific accident a few years ago. Four young lives -- including an infant -- were lost.
    Often when I drive or walk by the accident site there is a memorial on the lamppost. Photos, balloons, flowers, etc.
    Then the memorial disappears. Then a new one goes up. It's like the people grieving are in a constant state of war with the owners of the parking lot where the lamppost is....

5. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

It may seem insensitive, but I don't pay attention to them anymore.  There are just too many popping up all over the place and sometimes I even see a new memorial (where there wasn't one before) at a site where there wasn't a reported accident. 

I personally think it would be a better use of money and time to honor the loved ones in a better fashion.  Donate the money spent to a worthwhile charity, donate your time to helping others through the grieving process.  To continue to put up a memorial that will only be taken down ASAP is, to me, a pointless venture.

6. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

The thing that bothers me most about them is that they pop up all over the place but are eventually left to become more debris on our roadways.
    I know that may seem insensitive but honestly we bury our dead in cemeteries to have some place to go and feel connected to them. The shrines on the highways would be okay if they were tended to and then removed after a time but mos are not they are just left to rot.

7. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I don't have a problem with it.

and when I see one, I don't connect it with anything other than that someone lost a loved one. actually I haven't noticed that many crosses, but nearby the family updates 3 crosses every year. I do remember it was a terrible accident.

8. Arthur Fontes profile image74
    Arthur Fontesposted 13 years ago

I am sure that everyone spending days supporting a Mosque/Cultural center on the forums will be rushing to this thread to support people's freedom of religion.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)