Do long distance relationships really work?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (17 posts)
  1. azelajean profile image60
    azelajeanposted 15 years ago

How do you really trust your partner to be faithful? Is long distance relationship gonna work for you? This question always bugging me. Please give me some advice.

1. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I have to say, I don't think they can unless it's for a brief amount of time. The longer the time apart, the more likely they are to fail. Besides, is it really a "relationship" if the two of you are apart? At least in the sense of what I think a relationship is, where two people are intimate. Of course you can have a relationship with someone half way round the globe, but you certainly couldn't be lovers, even if that was your intent, until you are together, and to expect someone to wait indefinitely for that to happen is, well, unrealistic.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes, long distance relationships can work. I know two couples who have been through a phase when they couldn't be together, got through it and have now been happily married for some years. 

However in both those cases, the couples in question had actually met and spent a week or so together before their first separation, and also managed to make flying visits to each other two or three times a year. 

A lot of people who ask about "long distance relationships" are referring to meeting and dating over the internet, never having met the person.  That, IMO, is doomed to disaster.  You only get part of a person's personality over the net, and you fill in the rest with wishful thinking - so the other person will always appear better than they really are. There's certain to be some disappointment in the reality when you eventually meet.  Some people will rise above that, but most won't.

2. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

There are a lot of articles and personal relationship sites that help with this issue. Just take a trip around and read then you will be able to find a sum, lol. making it sound like a math problem tongue lol

3. sassychic profile image61
    sassychicposted 15 years ago

Hey I just recently put up a topic like this. My personal experience in the past (and right now) is, If you feel strong enough and have good communication skills you'll be fine. I would cation the faithfulness. I ovbiously dont know the dude or anything but get to know eachother really well first. It doesnt have to be personal topics (actully dont do that) Just casual talking. I think in my point of view you can tell by how interested and the way he talks to tell you if its a go.
    I think just be prepared for things. Im in a long distance relationship right now. YOU have to have patience and stay calm. If he doesnt call you right away or you are planning to webcam or something work with eachothers schedules and even rope off the time for just you and him to talk casually. smile Good Luck!

4. RDHayes profile image68
    RDHayesposted 15 years ago

If you want advice from people who know something about long distance relationships ask our men and women in uniform. They must endure the pangs of long distance relationships many times in life.

Personally I'd have to say it depends on how long the relationship has been established in the first place.

1. RDHayes profile image68
      RDHayesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LOL I'm quoting myself now! Anyways I did create a small hub on Love and what I perceive as it's stages. It might shed some light on why long distance relationships don't work or do work.

http://hubpages.com/hub/What-are-the-Stages-of-Love

Enjoy.

5. sassychic profile image61

This is very true. even though Im sure that Im younger than you. I want to say if you really truly want it and are willing to go through what it takes than go for it! But if you're still not sure or having mixed feelings than dont do it! It's not worth the drama and confusion. trust me been there done that before. You've got to want it and know what u want. If you're wishie washie about it dont. you will drive your BF nuts. or if they do it to you vise versa!

6. profile image0
    Rainbow Briteposted 15 years ago

I gotta agree with RD Hayes - I'm a military brat myself so maybe it's just the fact that I was raised with separation being a large part of my life, but I really do believe that long distance relationships can work.  But, there is one important factor that some people don't consider - the end result.  It's not a "first date" topic, but at some point you need to know what the other person's plans are.  Do they want marriage, kids, the house, the car, the white picket fence?  Are you the person they're looking to have that with?  Are they willing to consider relocation or are you expected to pick up and move?  What's the time frame?  Long distance relationships can work but honest communication is going to be key in making that happen.  In the same general vein as this topic, check out:  http://hubpages.com/hub/Falling-in-love … never-met.  I wrote that one in response to a similar question in the "Requests".

7. sassychic profile image61

Rainbow Brite sorry I miss spelled your "name".
    Anyway Rainbow Brite's got the sass! She now's it all! Take what she said in consideration she got good advice!

8. ocbill profile image54
    ocbillposted 15 years ago

tough to endure but sacrifices must be made. Trust goes pretty far so they can work out. Plus it depends on how long apart it is though.

9. waynet profile image70
    waynetposted 15 years ago

Long distance relationships may not work due to the huge gap of er...distance

Plus how can you do the jiggy and the wiggy if you are in two separate places...I'll settle for an inflatable doll....

10. profile image0
    Rainbow Briteposted 15 years ago

waynet - silly boy don't you know that if it doesn't inhale it's not cheating?  lol no in all seriousness the lack of sex sucks and you do get kind of bored with youself and the same toys every day but a true long distance relationship has moments where you can meet (in most cases) so you make the best out of what you have until you have the power to change the circumstances.  Of course, what works for one may not work for another, and far be it for me to judge, but I for one am VERY glad that I went through it (and in a way kind of still am going through it) or I would not have the man that I have today.

11. LegendaryN8 profile image59
    LegendaryN8posted 15 years ago

You gotta spend a lot of time together first and then have it go to a long distance for it to have a better chance of success.

How long is it a long distance relationship for?  Is it temp. or permanent?  This is really important.

12. sassychic profile image61

You can learn a lot about yourself! No matter what you need to know you boundries and what you believe in! If this means a lot to you Im sure that you'll find a way to visit eachother!
    1) You need to get to know eachother as much as you are willing to know about eachother,
    2) for your first meeting, have a friend for emotional support, encourage him to do the same or whom ever it is. You dont want to the first meeting to be the altimate nightmare you will never forget.
    3) Make it casual dont make it extravagant or anything make it simple and easy, this will releave a lot of nervousness and axniety about that day when it comes.

Those are a few tips that I thought I would share with you, hope it's what you're looking for!
    ~Sasha

13. desert blondie profile image56
    desert blondieposted 15 years ago

I stand as one of those for whom a long distance relationship did work!!! My husband and I (married now 11 years as of Nov. '08) dated long distance from the beginning. And we dated four years...sometimes they seemed like four very long years...across times zones and cities, etc.
         We had once lived in the same town, worked at the same place. An amazing opportunity arose for him and he moved away...13 hour car drive away!!!  Then he had an international opportunity!!! For four years we never lived in the same city, rarely lived in the same time zone!  Our long distance bills (back when people used 'real' phones) were horrendous, but cheap compared to actual dates.  I had been married before and when my children were with their father, he or I would travel to be in the same place at the same time.
         It was wonderful to find someone I cared for!
         It was horrible that we were rarely ever in the same town!
         But here we are...after four really long years of barely being together, we've been married for 11 years!!!  He still calls me his bride! 
    And I feel like we just got married just the other day....not 11 years ago!  Compared to my previous marriage;...when 11 years had already felt like an eternity. (I was ultimately married to my first husband for 15 years...then single for seven...four of which were involved in this long distance relationship.)
          My Mom didn't understand...my best friend tried to understand...my children tried to understand...it was, truly, quite unusual...but it worked!

14. ilovehubbing profile image62
    ilovehubbingposted 15 years ago

Yes the can work

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)