I think I made some money!

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (57 posts)
  1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

(exclude the ! point I'm not really excited , you'll see why!!)

I think I made $5.60 since 3 mo ago i started.

i checked google adsense, it's set up right, I've gotten over 1,000 page impressions, and many many clicks, totaling the 5.60.

Question is, if it took 3 mo to get 5.60..well I guess things will improve now w/ my "popularity" etc. So am I doing ok???

Also, whenever I check my google adsense...it say earned $0.00 until I look inside and see the stats. Is that normal..I mean I won't earn till I make $100?

Thanks guys.

1. liljen23 profile image75
      liljen23posted 13 years agoin reply to this

schoolgirlforreal, I think with researching good keywords and traffic will make you money with adsense. I've been writing for 4 months now and found info on keywords and getting traffic and with Hubpages it has earned me $40 and $58 with Amazon. I know in a few more months, I will be in the hundreds. It just takes determination and consistency. Making a quality hub daily puts you in the forefront to make more money in my opinion.

2. sunforged profile image71
      sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It seems to me that your not quite used to looking around your adsense dashboard yet.

The big 0.00 is probably your Daily earnings on most days at this point.

I dont think you are getting "many, many" clicks quite yet = or 5.60 would not be your overall total.

Change the View to "since last payment" then you can see your total earnings

estimated earnings is the number your looking for is this where your getting (5.60 ) from?

The other dollar $ amount - Page eCpm is not actual earnings its an average of what you would make every 1000 visitors based on your current history.

It has been reported that Hubbers average $2-$5 per 1000 views. So you would be above average at this point if you are looking at the right locations when you state 1000 views / $5.62

That is the average, I average about double that and Im sure many make less than a $1 per 1000. So wherever you lie dont be discouraged, it takes time to get used to all these random acronyms and stats figures unless your the type who likes such things.

It is wise to be general and generic when referring to any data from that dashboard.

3. Bimendra gun profile image61
      Bimendra gunposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Even it's great
      still adsense even not accept my account

4. 2uesday profile image66
      2uesdayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Earned on your account refers to the 'verified amount'.

The one you see on the first page you view  on adsense - is not yet verified, I am not sure where they explain this but they do.

Something to remember is(I did not understand this at first) as you build more hubs - your first hubs are still earning as time passes and will improve - especially if you can go back and tweak it with the knowledge you gain over time. The new Keywords tool is helpful for this on the stats section of each hub.

The easiest way to help yourself when writing a hub ( newbies with no SEO know how)  is to try to include in the title what you would search for if you wanted to find it on a search engine. Remember in the future you can alter titles but not the URL.

As you learn about SEO you will fine tune this - I am still learning but can remember what it feels like to be a newbie to all of it.

BTW. Also any one nearing their payout (so checking earnings and payments page) at the present time needs to view the earnings for all time (click the drop down box) not the last three months as adsense know there is an error on that part of the site.

Hope this helps.

5. jayb23 profile image71
      jayb23posted 13 years agoin reply to this

U are on your way my friend!!!

6. nicregi profile image66
      nicregiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Gratz! Glad to hear it smile

Keep the writing up guys. The money will then follow by XD

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Congratulations!

YAY! You are on your way.

At least you're seeing some results, which is better than no results. smile

schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! smile

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. smile

What's up Cags? smile
          I hear you write about good topics!!

3. Diane Inside profile image73
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

Hi schoolgirlforreal, you are about where I am. I've been here four months and I am do around the same. So I guess that's pretty normal for newer hubs.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Diane,

It would depend what you create for hubs. hmm

I am only saying that because of my stats. hmm

3 month mark - 25,000 P.I. and $12

4 month mark - 35,000 P.I and over $25

And that comes from knowing absolutely nothing about HubPages. hmm

4. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I disagree with you, schoolgirl, in that it's nothing to be excited about.  It took me over a month after signing up with adsense to discover that I made money the month before: I had made $.02 in June and didn't know it.  Anything at all is great when starting and you know it will grow.  As Cagsil says, you're on your way.

Are you doing your SEO?  Your views of 1000 in 3 months seems a tad low for that many hubs unless they are mostly recent.  Lots and lots of variables here, including how many are written for hubbers (who read but don't click), but if you haven't studied up on SEO I would suggest that you do so.  It really helps.

I'm about in the same area, but with more page impressions.  At just under 3 months of writing, 6,000 views and $11.00.

hi
      I just discovered a few days ago-maybe 5-7 days, that I was doing keywords WRONG. I fianlly got to learn the keywordtool.
      I think that is why.
      No one told me how to use it before, I finally learned.
      Since I did that, things seem to have improved, in August anywayas
      SEO....do you need to buy a book for that?
      I think I did.
      It sounds like a pain, what do you recommend?
      Thanks

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Recommend?  Hubs by Darkside and Sunforged.  But SEO is simply keywords on steroids, so to speak.

You're right about the keyword tool - it took me some time as well to learn to use it.  I'd looked for videos, hubs, etc. but found very little for the new version from Google.  And as you point out, it does indeed help.  Quite a bit.

I think some hide it (maybe) on purpose!! lol to prevent others from making $
          I'm prob wrong thou!

2. mathewday profile image62
          mathewdayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi,

I just wanted to mention some people may not know that the Google keyword tool changed, but if you look on the far right, you'll see a link to change it back to (previous interface), click that and it will go back to the original. smile

5. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

SEO means search engine optimisation.

It basically means getting your hubs to rank well in search engines so that more people will visit your page.

Hubpages is well liked by google so as long as you pick keywords that aren't too high (5000-15000 views a month is good), you can often rank fairly well.

Just make sure in the keyword tool you put the search on [exact] not [broad].

that's good stuff!

2. wilderness profile image96

Wow.  I don't think I've used any words at all that have more than 2000 or 3000 searches per month.  My best performing hub showed only 170 searches (though I've had over 600 views it's first month).

The competition always scares me off from the high numbers.

1. WryLilt profile image89
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hope you don't mean the competition in the google keywords tool? That is only for google adwords advertisers, referring to how many people are advertising for that keyword - so ignore it.

The best way to (quickly) check whether a keyword is worth writing about, without using anything too complicated is to type it into google and check results.

Say my keywords are "Big Red House"

If most of the first page results are something like "Living in a big orange and red balloon over a house" then I'd say go for it. Why? Because obviously not many people are actually trying to rank for that particular phrase. So if you match the exact phrase then chances are google will rank you better because you're a closer match.

1. wilderness profile image96

I search for the proposed keyword and note how many results there are.  I realize that that is only a rough estimate based on the normal search by google, which is not exact, but it's all I've got.

The thing is, when I find a keyword that results in a hundred million search results I don't think I want to even try to compete there.

You do have a good point, though in your example as that is exactly the kind of thing google will return.  I'll have to remember that.

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

I don't understand that at all. But maybe I'm just tired

3. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

https://adwords.google.com/select/Keywo … egacy=true

what about THIS keyword tool? I was given TWO!

That's the old version of the current google keyword tool. They're both fairly similar only some minor tweaks and a different look I believe. Always use [exact] because it gives you a much better idea of traffic.

do you ever get overwhelmed on this complex stuff?

I bet u do like we all do.

The way I communicate, some times people think I'm lazy. Just tired, overworked. I push myself to the limit

4. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

what if you get more than 15000 views a month? yikes\

The traffic listed in the keyword tool is total searches for that particular phrase. So that means to get those people to click through to your hub when searching that phrase, you have to be at least ranked in the first page. Statistics show that only about 42% of searchers actually click the first link so as long as you're on the first page and have relevant information and summary text that will catch the readers eye,  you're in with a chance of getting their visit.

However, as wilderness mentioned above, the amount of traffic is only for that term, so it can vary widely. In Wilderness' case there were probably a lot of hits from long tail keywords as well.

What is a long tail keyword? Well say your key word/phrase was building a house. A long tail keyword example might be someone who searches "I'm building a house, what do I do?"

Also remember - the more traffic a keyword term is getting a month, the more people will want to write or make websites about that topic which means more work to get noticed.

6. Kidgas profile image63
    Kidgasposted 13 years ago

Well, you are certainly on your way.  Learning about keywords and SEO is useful as well as backlinking.  I would not spend any money on a book but read several Hubs and search the internet for free information.  It is pretty easy to piece together what is going on but does take time.

Kidgas,

(could u put it all in a hub or two or three?!!!)

well, I know your answer: it would be too hard to understand, you have to digest a little at a time.....sad

But wouldn't it be nice? big_smile .........unfortunately I need it "for dummies" , sometimez it's just to sophicated..........

Which leads to my other comment --quite different---why are things getting more and more complicated today and in future? Will everyone's head blow up eventually? Or go cukoo?

The reason that SEO keeps getting more complicated is because search engines and websites are working head to head to compete for who is the smartest. Why?

Google - wants to give the best answers to anyone who searches. So they keep changing their algorithms to make sure the best quality information ranks first for users.
        Websites - want their pages viewed as much as possible so they can make more money. They don't care so much (in many cases) about whether it's what the reader actually wants, they just want the traffic. So they'll attempt to circumvent googles algorithms using backlinks, social bookmarking sites, spam, keywords and anything else they can to rank first and highest in results.

So it's a never ending struggle between the two!

2. Kidgas profile image63
        Kidgasposted 13 years agoin reply to this

schoolgirl,
        I will see what I can do.  Am fairly busy.  Will be driving to southern Indiana tomorrow but may have some time to get started.  Got another hub I want to get finished in the next day or two as well but I will definitely work on it since you asked.

THANK YOU!!! so nice smile big_smile

1. Kidgas profile image63
            Kidgasposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Finally got it done after a very busy week.

It turned out very good!! smile

3. barryrutherford profile image75
        barryrutherfordposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are hubs around which help you do this already just look  best hubs under the hubs tab

7. rmcrayne profile image92
    rmcrayneposted 13 years ago

Use the search box and search for things like "60DC log", and "first year on HubPages".  Many hubbers have shared their progression on traffic and earnings.

Ohhh, "wipes forehead", what a LOT to learn! "Sigh"

But that helps a bunch, thx!

we must pace ourselves

a little bit at a time

eh?

2. rmcrayne profile image92
        rmcrayneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is one of the most important lessons- there is a lot to learn!  So many new hubbers never get this.

8. Sunny Robinson profile image70
    Sunny Robinsonposted 13 years ago

I started hubbing here last summer.  My hubs declined due to major changes in my life.  I'm trying to return to hubbing here soon because I've missed it so much!

Anyway, since I've just recently checked my adsense, and in the times between I've been gone to now (14 months), I made $50! Doing nothing! I must have done well back then.

schoolgirlforreal, my point is -- I started the same way you did in terms of how much money is coming in.  It is definitely exciting, and it will snowball into something more for you if you keep at it with high quality, attention-grabbing hubs that you *enjoy* writing.

As for the 0.00, did you make sure you were viewing the not only the MOST recent earning, but over all earns from the past month?

um
      i think i earned 5.50 but not sure hmmm

1. Sunny Robinson profile image70
        Sunny Robinsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's kind of what I meant.  I started off with earning $5 - $10 the first few months.

1. Dorothee-Gy profile image64
          Dorothee-Gyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Sunny, wow, that's impressive! How did you do that? I see that you have 12 hubs as a total, and you don't write about SEO or that stuff (seems to me to be the topic that would bring you the most followers and readers at the moment in no time), so how did you get so many page impressions in the beginning? I have 22 hubs, and I think they are not bad or uninteresting, but I have nowhere the same amount of page impressions...

I don't do real marketing, though, just post them from time to time to my facebook profile and now started twitting and digging ;-).

I'd be really grateful for any answer you could come up with as to how you made your hubs so popular in such a short time!

The absolute first month was a total 0.  Looking back on Adsense, I misspoke in excitement.  Possibly because I was still bewildered that I was consistently making money after not being on hubpages for a year.

But in a few months after that first one, it started climbing to like $5 pretty fast, then there was $10 each month.  That declined after lack of activity or content.

As far as marketing goes, I shared on facebook, gather, and found other forums online that was relevant to my hubs to share and gather information.  My first article was on how to avoid scams, which got a lot of attention fast from having the right keywords.

I'm looking back to double check.  The cochlear implant and cell phone hub is really what got me the most traffic out of all of them *consistently* because the keywords were spot-on and people were actually looking for information on cell phones and cochlear implant.  I'm starting to wonder if "cell phones" were misleading?

By the way, I love some of your hubs! I just went to look.  Your writings seem so much better quality than mine.  I'm sure you'll grab traffic in no time at all!

Also, I don't know anything about SEO yet to write about that.  It's been a long time for me since being on hubpages and I'm just getting back into the groove.

1. Dorothee-Gy profile image64

Hi, Sunny, thank you so much for your appreciative feedback, this means a lot for me, especially since English is not my first language. But I love to write in English, and it always makes me happy to see that it aktually is okay. 

All this marketing and SEO knowledge is so much to learn! It is fun, but if you do a full-time job and a family, it all comes down to "how can I read all that and still get anything done?". But it is the same as climbing on Mount Everest, it starts with the first few steps and then the next and the next...

9. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I don't do keyword research.  I am NOT  against it, I just don't do it.

I'll be 3 months the end of next week.  Pageviews are 9,022 over 125 hubs at this moment and Google income is $26.44 as of this minute also.

I have announced most of the hubs on at least Twitter and sometimes Facebook.   I do have the RSS widget on some pages my PR5 main site and have some links from here to articles there and some the other way - very few of either.

I don't have accounts at shetoldme and all that.  I am too lazy to do much backlinking and I am not a big fan of that anyway for more reasons than we need to get into here.  Total views from the places I have linked from is 127, so I doubt they were responsible anyway.  I have not dug into Analytics to see, but my bet would be the income is 99% or more from search - that is where it is always from at my main site.

I am offering this only to be helpful, not to suggest that this is the right or wrong way.  I am not looking for a fight with anyone who wants to insist that I am fool for ignoring SEO and I will not rise to any bait offered in that regard.

It is next to impossible to compare hubber to hubber.  You may write more product review type hubs than I do or less and our incomes will vary for that reason alone.   

Oh, another figure thst may be helpful - total traffic from  search is about 1,600 pageviews.  Oddly, it says Hubpages is 5,724, so that doesn't quite add up - a couple thou unaccounted views.  I am not sure how that works here.

Hope this helps someone.

1. Kidgas profile image63
      Kidgasposted 13 years ago

OK, reserved the title.  Will work on it tomorrow and make it as simple as possible.

thanks! my poor head is sensitive!

2. ngureco profile image80
      ngurecoposted 13 years ago

1. $5.50 for 1000 page views is exceptionally good. You should expect $2 to $5 for 1000 page views.

2. 1000 page views for 72 hubs in 90 days is not too good. You can do an average of 3 page views per day per hub - and that would translate to 216 x 90 equals 18000 page views(assuming all 72 hubs were all published 90 days ago).

the reason why I got only 1000 views in 90 days on 72 hubs is I just learned the keyword tool.

so my hubs had very poor keywords, I'm revamping them all as we speak

2. Dorothee-Gy profile image64

How do you get 3 views per day in average? I have 22 hubs now and there are a lot of days when I am around 15 views a day... And I don't think that I write about many things people aren't interested in... 3 views in average, that would be great! If you have a tip, I'm all ears...

3. Flightkeeper profile image66
      Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Hi schoolgirlforeal, not giving you advice because you got some good ones already.  Just wanted to say congratulations on earning money and going back to revamp your hubs using SEO is a great next step.  You're doing what you need to do.

Thank you, Flightkeeper,
        Honestly I've been putting in 12hr days on here doing just that.
        I'm so BRAIN TIRED I cannot even read this forum!!!!!!!!!!!

take care

4. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years ago

Patience is the key!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)