Bye bye Circuit City

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (20 posts)
  1. WeddingConsultant profile image64
    WeddingConsultantposted 15 years ago

It's official, Circuit City is going out of business.

Well, at least it is at this point unless someone changes their mind and buys them out over the next few days...

http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/16/news/co … 2009011612

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

I can't see anyone buying them except maybe WalMart.

Another one bites the dust. Going to see a lot of that this year I think.

3. pylos26 profile image69
    pylos26posted 15 years ago

Circuit City is/was a less than honorable retailer...

4. WeddingConsultant profile image64
    WeddingConsultantposted 15 years ago

I've said it before- as much as it is a bad thing that many innocent people lose their jobs over corporate greed/scandal/etc, I hope we see more companies go under.

There is just too much consumerism here in the U.S.

5. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 15 years ago

By the middle of February the list of dead retailers will be longer than your arm. I think we'll have a moving and festive Inauguration followed by months and months of sheer economic hell. If you think 2008 was bad, hold on to your hat!

6. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 15 years ago

Our economic system is based on natural selection/survival of the fittest. "Fit" has many meanings. The companies that will survive are not necessarily the "best" companies.
    I agree we have entirely too much consumerism. Do we need Circuit City and Best Buy and Frys and Radio Shack and Walmart and Costco and, and, and...?

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Our economic system is based on bailing out the biggest with taxpayer's money. Circuit city made the mistake of being too small. smile

7. Teresa McGurk profile image59
    Teresa McGurkposted 15 years ago

Jeez.  At this rate, it'll soon just be WalMart, WalMart, and WalMart.  And then everything really WILL be made in China. . . .

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I was watching the news and they said that Walmart and one other company I forget, maybe Sams Club are the only two entities that are not being effected much by the economy.

1. WeddingConsultant profile image64
        WeddingConsultantposted 15 years agoin reply to this

haha I thought Wal-Mart and Sam's club were one and the same...

8. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 15 years ago

I don't know, I am still feeling sorta sad about Mothers Cookies going bankrupt.  sad
    Next, Baskin n Robins, Ben and Jerry's, Sea World, Disney Land. 

I wish the government would just show some real sound judgment and let all the banks fail, close them down and give peole their money back. 

Don't know if you heard, there is some talk about people recieving IOUs this year instead of tax refund checks.  Wouldn't be so bad except the banks have already denied accepting IOUs. 

Circuit Cities in San Diego have been closing down since September, I think.  As well as Mervyns.  (not that I shopped there anyways) which is gone already.

Also, Home Depots and if it wasn't for an independent merger between Toyota and Ii think Ford, that would have shut down too. 

I hate to see how bad it can get but agree, let them all crumble but make it quick, no sense in prolonging the suffering...farewell Circuit City.

9. profile image0

Yes, the State of California had to send out some IOUs instead of state refunds. They just don't have the money.

I think KMart & Sears have to be DOA this year. They've been limping along since before the meltdown, and I know they both had a horrible holiday season.

We could start a retail death watch and take turns guess who will be next.

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

yes, how kmart and sears managed to stay afloat is beyond me, I think you are right, they will be next. 

I also think Crate n Barrel went out of business. 

Can we get the list of all the businesses that have gone under?  That would be interesting to see. 

Which grocery chain to you think will go first?  Alberstons (wait, I think that may have already happened too) but if not, then I guess, Albertson then Food 4Less then it's a showdown between Safeway/vons and Ralphs.

2. WeddingConsultant profile image64
      WeddingConsultantposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree, I think K-Mart or Sears (or both) will go next. To be honest, I hope both go out.

And again, I don't want to seem heartless. I'm sorry that you lost your banking job (that was you, right?). And I'm sorry for those at CC who don't have jobs anymore. I spoke with one on the phone today as I called to get a replacement bulb for my projector before they go bankrupt! But he was saying he just found out today that he won't have a job pretty soon. Sad that they didn't even give their employees more of a "heads up".

Like I said, I think it's the little people who get hurt most and the big wigs who don't. But the underlying theme seems to be consumerism- one of the most rampant plagues in the developed world.

10. profile image0

Losing my bank job was a gift from God. Seriously, what a horrible job. Now I am in the frame of mind where I don't want any job. I've been writing for $ and thinking of other ways I can earn my own money and cut back on expenses.

I think that is what lots of people will have to do. I think some very big banks will go under. Citi is very close and I think they should let it fall. I'm sick of paying taxes so the government can give them away to rich people and use them to bomb and torture foreigners. I don't feel good about paying those taxes anymore. They are used to support things that make me sick.

11. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

It was shocking to see Mervyn's go out of business in our city because this had been the first major place to shop starting in 1981.  I feel for the people who lost their jobs because even minimum wage jobs are hard to find these days.  The other day I was eating at Del Taco and the manager was conducting an orientation for a new group of employees.  She basically told them if they do not do a list of certain things she can replace them very easily because the economy is not good and everyone is looking for a job.  This is one of the major reasons people actually come into the library to use the computer these days, to apply for jobs.

12. profile image0

Sweetie Pie, I was talking with my eldest daughter about this Friday. The jobs that are hiring are so abusive about it now because everyone is so desperate. It seems to bring out the worst in people somehow.

1. SweetiePie profile image81
      SweetiePieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

This would make an interesting hub topic pgrundy.  Just a thought smile.

13. shashigai profile image61
    shashigaiposted 15 years ago

Unfortunately this means no shortage of work in the crisis business. My agency is laying off people in one part while there is a bonus for referring a crisis worker who gets hired.

14. quotations profile image88
    quotationsposted 15 years ago

I live in Canada and so far the economy here is doing fairly well, but the cracks are beginning to show. We just lost Nortel, at one time one of the biggest electronics manufacturing firms in the world. Its stocks are now worthless and many people have lost their retirement savings.

We in Canada are just waiting to see if the economic collapse south of our border will suck us down with it.

I really feel for all of the people who are losing their jobs in the US, and worry what will be in store here in Canada. I think that we will see a lot worse in both countries in 2009/10.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)