If we're going to hurl the 'racist' accusation, let's define the term.

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)
  1. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 13 years ago

Since the media, the administration, protesters and proponents are going to continually call others racists, we need to establish a uniform definition that all can agree on.

In the current environment I believe the most accurate definition to be:

racist: anyone winning an argument with a liberal.

What's yours?

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So - there are no racists then? Well done. About time. lol

Dear me.

1. lovemychris profile image77
        lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

HA HA HA!!!!!

2. Jeff Berndt profile image73
      Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Heh, and here was me thinking you were trying to start a meaningful dialogue, so I clicked on your thread. Fool me once, shame on me, I guess. smile

Bu in the interest of salvaging something meaningful from this post that seems both to be baiting liberals and also to be making light of racism, let me suggest the following.

When someone says something that betrays prejudice against a given group, do not accuse the speaker of being a racist (or a sexist, or whatever). This never ends well. The speaker will inevitably get all defensive, and counter-accuse you of being thin-skinned or of misunderstanding him, or of trying to derail the argument by calling him a racist. No doubt the speaker's friends will defend him. ("I've known him for years and he's no racist.") And then the offended party will end up looking like a jerk, even if the original writer or speaker actually made a blatantly racist remark.

No, you don't want to talk about what the person is, because there's no good way to tell what a person is. Plus, nobody will ever say, "Yeah, I guess I am a racist, after all," because nobody wants to see themselves as a bad person, and pretty much everyone agrees that racism is a characteristic of bad people.

The discussion you want to have is a discussion about what the person said. Do not say, "You're a racist." That's name calling and will certainly degenerate. What you should say is, "That was a racist remark."

If you focus on the remark, you at least stand a chance of helping that person (who may or may not be a racist, we don't care) to understand why what they said is a racist-sounding statement, why it hurts people*, and really, why it reflects badly on them, and makes them look like a racist, whether they are or not.

I didn't think of this on my own. Check out Jay Smooth's vid.

*And really, when people say racist things, it hurts other people. (Or perhaps it would be more apt to say it hurts Other people.) And nobody wants to go around saying hurtful things, do they?

Oh yes...they do!
        They do it DELIBERATELY!
        They DO make fun of racism as if it's nothing....
        Poor Clowns.

History of this country is REPLETE with racism. For ANY people of color, or "lower" ethnic background for that matter. That is why I said that anyone who acknowledges white priveledge is called a racist themselves...
        As in Glenn Beck calling Obama a racist.

and the most agregious dis-avowing of racism is Beck's tea-party rally on MLK day.

Here's a guy who tries to smear the first black president in our history by saying he has a deep-seated hatred of white people, USING the memory of a black man to promote his party.......MANY of whom show up at rallies with racist signs!!!

It's cynical at it's core. And mean-spirited as well as making a joke of the civil rights movement.

When's the last time a tea-party patriot was hung from a tree?
        Oh, never happened? So why compare yourselves to the black struggle in this country?

3. Ron Montgomery profile image59
      Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good for you!  By your definition you are not, and never will be a racist.

Have a Fresca. smile

I can't say that Ron, but I CAN say that these people prey on the term, waiting for the chance to use it to their advantage.

They are the worst kind of opportunists and "I hope they fail miserably." (thanks for the terminology Russsshhhhhhhhhhh.)

4. lady_love158 profile image61
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3130/3165000480_f93ea75381_o.gif

LOL Love it!

2. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

Anyone who acknowledges white priviledge.

3. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

One who drives cars at very high speeds attempting to annihilate other drivers.
    Racists are good at that. So they think.

4. thirdmillenium profile image60
    thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

Racism is the one sentiment that lies just under the surface and flares up when no one else is around and one is safe from accusation by third party

Except this Beck character is using it outright. He called the president a racist.....that's not under the surface, it's out there in the open.

And isn't it just so ironic?

The one time a president is called a racist is when he's black!

Talk about Orwellian Double Speak.....

It's a race war he wants if you aks me. All of them. They want a war with blacks, muslims, poor people...anyone they can. Thars' money in them thar hills.
      Fifty Cent:
      "I'm laughing straight to the bank with this. Ha ha ha ha ha ha."

Guess ole Nugent canceled? Too bad. He went so far as to tell the president to put a gun to his mouth and pull the trigger.
      Now that's tea-baggery at it's finest!!!

5. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Yeah hurling the "racist" accusation isn't the only thing that the libtards do.  Just as common is their accusation that you only care about money lol

Yeah, meanwhile the libtards are defending Obama because he's "creating and saving" jobs and bailing out all these industries with the future generation's money.

6. hank22077 profile image61
    hank22077posted 13 years ago

Simply put:
    Racism: hating for senseless reason; ie. color, race, creed, nationalism, things you're born with, etc.
    Prejudice: hating for sensible reason; ie. character, belief, morals, perhaps religion, things you basically choose, as a sensible adult, etc.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)