Finally getting the "hang" of the whole adsense formula

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I don't join the challenges on here, preferring to do things my own way in my own time. However I do read them and I do use the tips and tricks on here.

So I just want to thank everyone that does put helpful advice on here about adsense. After following several different pieces of advice on here I am finally seeing what you need to do to get good adsense clicks.

There are many small bits you need to know and follow, from the right key words, the right subjects, backlinks and a few more.

Applying them to my hubs and my own blogs in the last few days my daily average for adsense has shot from 3 bucks to over 10 bucks a day. smile

I still get almost all my clicks on my own blogs for some reason, I just don't get much traffic to my hubs. But the formula is the same.

If I can make 10 bucks a day, I know I can make 100 bucks a day. I just have to put more work and time into it. Once you get the formula down the rest is just making as many hubs, articles and whatever you write as you can.

That is my hard part, I never seem to have enough time. But the more you put out there the more you make. So thank you all for all the advice you have shared with everyone. I finally "get" what you need to do to be successful with adsense. smile

2. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

That's it? You're not going to share? smile

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He's kind of rude isn't he?  Has the answers but won't share them with us!  lol

Glad you're getting somewhere, Bill.  I, too, have spent a lot of time here learning from the experts and it's beginning to pay off.  My thanks to them as well - without help I wouldn't still be here.  And, Irohner, you're one of them!

2. Bill Manning profile image69
      Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well there is really nothing to share because what I learned has been from all the advice already on here, lol.

If you read the forum threads that the big SEO guys have posted on here and really follow what they say you pretty much can know it all. The main things are:

1. Do your key word search. You have to pick one that is not so popular you'll never rank for it, yet popular enough that you get many hits. For instance, the keyword "leather jacket" is much too popular to try to rank for.

However, I am the #1 on Google for "pigskin leather jacket". Sadly that is a poor term to rank for, as almost nobody searches for it.

2. The subject must be one that will generate clicks! Writing about Britney Spears will get much traffic but few clicks, as they just want to read about her.

But a hub on "top 5 USB flash cards" will get many hits, because your viewers came to that hub looking for USB cards. So they will click on the ads showing all the USB cards as they are in a buying mood, see?

3. Backlink. You have to make at least a few backlinks, the more the better. That pushes you up the SE more.

4. Make sure your adsense can be found as close to your text as can be. In my own blog post I have a bank of them at the top, one right in the middle of the post and one at the end.

I also blend them in with the text and overall theme, without trying to trick viewers into clicking them. You can't do that with hubs, but you can make sure that right hand square at the top has ads in it.

5. Make several hubs or articles that are related to each other and link them. Viewers will follow them and it boost the ranks of all of them.

There is more but that is the basics. Oh,,,, and write a LOT of them!  smile

Bill, considering your #5, I always to make several hubs around the same very general topic and interlink them.  I also provide an RSS feed for that "group" of similar topics in the hopes that the reader will find something they like.  I sometimes add another RSS feed for my "hot" or "latest" hubs as well, but I wonder if the feed for the group isn't more valuable.

2. ofmelancholy profile image62
        ofmelancholyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

good summary, thanks.

3. Don Simkovich profile image60
    Don Simkovichposted 13 years ago

Glad to read what you learned. Yes, much of the information becomes rote and most experts say the same thing. But it's easy to forget to do the critical basics and I need to re-read them. Wow, you're making over $10 per day. That's great.

4. kephrira profile image60
    kephriraposted 13 years ago

$3 to $10 a day is a big increase, well done. Those round numbers are always satisfying when you hit them aren't they?

I'm hoping to hit an average of £10 per day for the first time on adsense next month. Fingers crossed.

5. lakeerieartists profile image64
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

I think it is a matter of finding your own personal style for each type of vendor along with the advice that Bill has mentioned.  Both successes and failures can help you figure out what is working and what is not, and you can always tweak, tweak, tweak.  I have found my daily average has gone up steadily on Adsense the longer I am on Hubpages.  I think you also get better ads when you prove that you can send the right kind of traffic.

6. Smart Rookie profile image60
    Smart Rookieposted 13 years ago

Can anyone else vouch for #4 on that list - particularly having the ads as close to the text as possible? I don't doubt it, I'm just wondering if others would strongly agree.

I've read many times here on HP to leave the spot open for an ad at the top of the first text capsule - don't put a picture flushed right in the first capsule.  That would be about as close as you can get.

I have not tested - I'll take their word for it rather than lose a bunch of income by changing a significant number of hubs to the "wrong" configuration.

1. Smart Rookie profile image60
        Smart Rookieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't recommend you change what appears to be working. smile I'll fix my hubs that aren't in that configuration and report if that has any effect.

2. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This seems to make a huge difference for some reason!  At least, it did for me!

1. Smart Rookie profile image60
          Smart Rookieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for saying so. I'll also try to get the lower horizontal ad bar closer to the text.

7. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Well, I don't really know if it did or not for me.  When I came across that tidbit I promptly changed all my hubs, but at the time I had earned a grand total of $.02 in about 3 weeks.

On the other hand, maybe it did.  I'm a little over that sum by now lol

8. billyaustindillon profile image61
    billyaustindillonposted 13 years ago

The picture is great advice I changed it up and putting it lower seemed to help adsense

9. lakeerieartists profile image64
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

Since many people only read above the fold, having your ads at the top of the page and upper sidebar tend to get the most clicks.

10. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

Very good luck to you, more good advice in the other comments here too..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)