Obama: President of Golf

Jump to Last Post 1-49 of 49 discussions (157 posts)
  1. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

According to Mark Knoller who works for CBSNews and is known as the press corps' presidential statistician, Obama has played 39 times since becoming president.  Bush played 24 rounds during his first 34 months and stopped in 2003 saying it was inappropriate to play while the country was at war, after the media kept harping on it; for constrast Obama played 24 rounds in his first 9 months.  So again we see the lamestream media favors Obama over Bush, since they haven't given Obama the hard time that they gave Bush about it.

So in honor of our playful golfmeister president, I'm going to post pictures of our favorite community organizer in chief playing golf during his term at office and we can all comment on his fashion style and his golf stance and admire how well he is able to play golf while the lamestream media looks on in approval.

Now say only nice things, we don't want certain people to get upset big_smile

Teetime at the White House on May 11, 2010
    http://politipage.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/pp_timeline_day22_biden.jpg

1. IntimatEvolution profile image69
      IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What about George Bush Sr.?  Now he was the golfing president.  That is all he did in office.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
        Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

/sign

2. weholdthesetruths profile image60
      weholdthesetruthsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well... I don't care how much golf he plays.   Really, I don't.   I just wish he'd go on vacation...and stay on vaction clear until next election and then he can go back home.   If he never did another thing, we'd be so much better off.   As far as golfing, if he just stayed on vacation and golfed all the time, that would be fine, too.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wished the same for Dubya for eight long, long, deadly years!  If you can dish it out........!

1. weholdthesetruths profile image60

I don't care what you wished about W.   An honest man, but far to liberal and posessing far too little understanding of the Constitution and the role of GOOD government to be an effective president.   

I know, it won't stop libs from accusing him of being radical, but then, libs merely try to label everyone and everything that stands in their way with insulting and denigrating labels.   You know, like the racists of old.

And I don't care that you don't care!  LOL!  and your characterization of Dubya is hilarious!  I suppose you voted against this "honest" man?

1. weholdthesetruths profile image60

No, I voted aginst the "other" guy, who was a true wreck, a liar, manipulator, stupid, foolish, and intemperate.

So you voted for a guy who didn't understand the constitution, was too liberal, and was not sure what the role of good government was!  No wonder he created such a mess for Obama to try and clean up! 

This doesn't say much for your judgment in choosing a president!  But go ahead and chastise Obama for trying to clean up the mess you helped cause!  LOL!  Bet you voted for Dubya the second time too!  If so, Doh!

1. Tim_511 profile image76
                  Tim_511posted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Chastise Obama for trying to clean up the mess"?  You really can't mention Obama and the Constitution in the same comment without defiling the Constitution.  Bush wasn't great, but Obama has even more openly ignores the Constitution.

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
                    Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I suppose you hae an example of where Obama has ignored the Constitution.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

Didn't they make a law or something that because of Dubya, people from Texas weren't entitled to their opinions anymore?  I'm fairly certain of it!  LOL!

2. climberjames profile image57
    climberjamesposted 13 years ago

Is Obama even any good at golf? big_smile

Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Look at his golf pictures and you decide!

2. tobey100 profile image59
      tobey100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Based on reports, no.  Did you expect him to be?  He ain't too good at anything else.

1. climberjames profile image57
        climberjamesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ha ha, I wouldnt be able to tell if he was, not a fan of the spor :S

3. Flightkeeper profile image66

http://rappahannockrepublic.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/obama_golf.jpg

Not digging the color scheme.  Red cap, neutral colors and 60s-style saddle shoes don't quite say presidential. And what's with the way he's standing?

http://gatewaypundit.firstthings.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/obama-golfing-2.jpg

1. A.Villarasa profile image59
      A.Villarasaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This photo says it all...No wonder the country is in such  dire economic straits. The lefty has really turned too far to the left... even his golf posturing is leftist.,

1. tony0724 profile image59
        tony0724posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wish the USA could get a mulligan

Fat chance.

HA!  I wished the very same thing eight years before he was elected!

4. Flightkeeper profile image66

President Barack Obama spent Sunday on the golf course at Fort Belvoir, VA, according to White House pool reports. - July 11, 2010 The Hill's Blog Briefing Room.

5. Flightkeeper profile image66

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/08/25/alg_obama_golf_vineyard.jpg

Obama plays in classic black at Martha's Vineyard at Farm Neck Golf Club back in August 2009.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/08/25/amd_obama_golf_smiles.jpg

6. vanchen profile image68
    vanchenposted 13 years ago

I say let the man play.  Life's probably stressful enough as is.

1. Woman Of Courage profile image60
      Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good point vanchen. Things were already in a mess before he became president, so I can only imagine the stress he is dealing with. He deserves to play golf if that's what he prefer. It doesn't matter if he is not standing correctly or even if he doesn't play well.

7. Flightkeeper profile image66

Newsflash! President Obama Did NOT Play Golf Yesterday

Last June, White House spokesman Bill Burton said that it "probably does us all good" when President Obama plays golf, which he does all the time. "I don't think that there's a person in this country that doesn't think that their president ought to have a little time to clear his mind," he added.

That Obama did not play golf yesterday is a concern. That means he's running the country right now with an unclear mind. wink

Stay tuned.

1. A.Villarasa profile image59
      A.Villarasaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I play golf  not because  I want to clear my mind. I play because I love the feeling of being able to put that little ball into that little hole in as little amount of time as possible.. Just like Obama playing President of the United States in as little amount of time as possible. The only thing Obama is good at is enjoying the perks (Air Force One, White House digs, vacationing at Martha's Vineyard with the rest of his elitist ilks...etc..etc..etc) of the presidency.

Well, since Obama seems to be President only in his spare time, you'd think his handicap at golf would be better, but apparently not. If he's doing poorly at something that he spends a lot of time on, what does that mean when he's running the country? big_smile

8. climberjames profile image57
    climberjamesposted 13 years ago

Ha ha I love this, daily updates of Obamas golfing schedule, you could turn this into a blog big_smile "Obama Golf Daily"

It's an idea climber, but a short lifespan since Obama will only have one term wink

By the sounds of it he is not the only golding president . . . "President Golf Daily" ;D

9. Flightkeeper profile image66

A new Washington Post/ABC poll says that Americans are losing confidence in Obama.  It did not indicate whether Americans thought Obama was playing too much or too little golf that caused the decline in confidence.

10. Flightkeeper profile image66

It was observed by many eyewitnesses that President Obama was nowhere near a golf course yesterday.

But he was probably thinking about it.

Was he anywhere near a driving range?

Eyewitnesses have reported that they did not see him near a driving range although it is suspected that he has an Executive Putter Kit from The Smart Golfer.

Ha ha, I knew it, he golf's each and every day!!!

11. Flightkeeper profile image66

According to the CBS Poll yesterday, 87% do not believe that Obama's economic programs have helped them.  The poll does not say whether that same 87% want Obama to stop playing golf and pay attention to the economy instead.

12. Flightkeeper profile image66

Bar Harbor residents are speculating that President Barack Obama will be playing at the Kebo Valley Golf Club during his three-day vacation.  He is expected to arrive tomorrow. President Obama is the first sitting president to visit Mt. Desert Island since William Howard Taft in 1910 according to Debbie Dyer, curator of the Bar Harbor Historical Society. The president doesn't expect to find tarballs on the beach but he is still willing to eat the local seafood.

13. Flightkeeper profile image66

Speaking at the Young Republican Leadership Conference in Washington, DC today, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.)accused President Obama of "scheduling more tee times than Phil Mickelson during the greatest environmental disaster in our nation’s history.” When Speaker Nancy Pelosi heard of his remark, she retorted that it should be okay for the President not to like coffee.

14. Flightkeeper profile image66

President Obama has failed to play golf during his weekend vacation at Bar Harbor!

President Obama has failed to play golf during his weekend vacation at Bar Harbor!

Has the world gone mad?!!!

15. Flightkeeper profile image66

The elite of Washington DC are confused. President Obama took a weekend vacation and did not golf. Repeat, he did not golf. Strange murmurs of pigs flying and complete consternation abound but there are no unnamed sources coming forward to deny or confirm anything.

16. Flightkeeper profile image66

It has been 10 days since President Obama has played golf.  On his recent vacation, he played tennis instead. Does this indicate a major change in how he will preside in office or is it just because Michelle won't let him play golf? I will report with any further news, murmurs, unofficial responses, hearsays, or gossip.

You are some kind of reporter, that's for sure!  LOL!

17. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 13 years ago

"The evil that men do lives after them.
    The good is oft interred with their bones.
    So let it be with Caesar..."

If GW and Tony Blair had played a bit more golf together, maybe we'd have a million more living Iraqis out there.
    ---------------
    Or if that's too difficult for you, how about:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wui-PNqJrxs

18. Flightkeeper profile image66

Yes, if only Saddam Hussein played golf, maybe he wouldn't have so much time on his hands to pursue his nuclear program and kill his own fellow Iraqis.  In fact, if his handicap wasn't too bad, GW and Tony would probably have invited him over for golf and afterwards they'd drink some beers and discuss and smooth things over.

lol

1. Paraglider profile image88
      Paragliderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And you think that wouldn't have been better??

I think that wouldn't happen. Do you want to play golf with the man whose threatening to bomb your place? roll

Absolutely. I'm confident that over a round of golf, or a beer, or a shisha, I could bring most folk around to the idea that peace is the better way.

Hey, since it's such a good idea, I say you should start with Ahmadinijihad and start teaching him golf.

As you well know, I am not in a position to invite Presidents to play golf. But others are.

"Jaw jaw is better than war war" - Winston Churchill.

But maybe even Churchill is too leftist for you??

Churchill leftist?  The guy who was warning everyone not to appease Hitler while everyone was? lol

Just because Winston said jaw jaw is better than war war (I can't believe he said it that way - it sounds weird) doesn't mean he doesn't take the war war position when it's what should be done. You don't seem to realize it.

As it happens it's an accurate quote, but you need Churchill's distinctive accent to carry it off.

You are right that Churchill didn't shirk from war when necessary, but he considered it the last recourse.

I hope you're not suggesting that the time for talking to Iran is over? War in Iran would be a disaster.

2. Sufidreamer profile image80
              Sufidreamerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I tried that - he has an excellent drive, a light touch around the greens, and a handicap of 8.

Sadly, he is such a cheat - I caught one of his goons kicking the ball back onto the fairway. sad

Play it where it lies, Mahmoud, play it where it lies.

I hear he coats his golf balls with Iranian oils so that they fly higher and faster.

1. Sufidreamer profile image80
                  Sufidreamerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Possibly - it would not surprise me.

Mind you, once you got past the 'Death to America' and strict fundamentalist Islam thing, he seemed like a decent chap with a good line of golfing anecdotes. We are off for a threeball with Kim Jong-Il next week - Apparently he is the greatest golfer that the world has ever seen, and shoots at least four holes-in-one every round. The boy is a natural smile

http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribun … 06_16.html

He is an absolute scream in the clubhouse, too!

1. lorlie6 profile image73
                    lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Five aced holes and 38 under so early in his golfing career.  I'll bet he's the talk of the town!

2. Flightkeeper profile image66

Yeah, good ol Kim must get a lot of target practice with so many starving North Koreans.

2. lorlie6 profile image73
            lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

There you go, Paraglider!

smile

19. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

Dear God, give the man some credit! wink  Stress relief is critical when making huge decisions, yes?

Lorlie, he has so many people under him and Congress working to create the policies for him. What huge decision is he making that would stress him out?

In addition, it's not as if he doesn't take vacations.

20. AnnCee profile image66
    AnnCeeposted 13 years ago

OBAMA IS A DOOFUS DUFFER!  And politically tone deaf to boot.   His only skill is thuggery.

Calm down, please. Let's try to be sensible.

21. manlypoetryman profile image83
    manlypoetrymanposted 13 years ago

http://www.noquarterusa.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/obama-golf.jpg

At least there is one thing he is doing about par...

22. AnnCee profile image66

http://www.posterart.com/ourposters/images/golf1.jpg

I'd rather golf with the real Stooges.

http://rlv.zcache.com/the_three_stooges_tshirt-p235360545681372154qtdg_400.jpg

I would actually put Nancy Pelosi in Hillary's place.

1. AnnCee profile image66
        AnnCeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep.

23. Teresa McGurk profile image59
    Teresa McGurkposted 13 years ago

Bush Spent 487 Days At Camp David, 490 Days At Texas Ranch

Working.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

and you know this? please..

you people sure have a lot of time on your hands.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image71
        Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Working."
        Yes, clearing brush is work, no question.

It is work - it took 8 years to clear out bush.

2. AnnCee profile image66

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/ … 6734.shtml

By comparison – it's not that much. President Jimmy Carter spent 376 days at Camp David during his single four-year term in office.

But his Presidential Library avoids the "number of days" issue by providing the number of hours Mr. Carter spent at Camp David. That count comes to 6,647.5 hours.

On October 5, 1980, Mr. Carter spent but a single hour at Camp David – though I count it as a full or partial day.

President Ronald Reagan spent more time at Camp David than any other chief executive. He made 186 visits there – totaling all or part of 517 days.

He once said, "Of all the things about the presidency, we will miss Camp David the most."

The Bushes feel similarly. In a CBS News interview marking the President's 100th visit to Camp David in December of 2005, First Lady Laura Bush explained the attraction.

"We love to go there," she said. "It's a great place to go on the weekends where we can actually be outside, we can walk outside, and we can also be with family and friends."

24. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Bless you, Teresa. Those are EXACTLY the statistics I was going to look up.
    Might also be worthwhile to research number of hunting trips Veep Cheney took besides the infamous one:-)

The setting, for starters, because the 143-acre hideaway is nestled in Maryland's Catoctin Mountains, which are carpeted with tall oaks and maples, their leaves rustling high above rock-studded streams.

A 5,810-acre national park surrounds Camp David, and this rustic real estate is a haven for white-tailed deer, fox, coyote, wild turkey, timber rattlesnakes, a handful of black bear and 200 species of birds, notably scarlet tanagers and pileated woodpeckers.

But nature walks aren't the only activities available. Chicagoan Martin Nesbitt, a friend of Obama who merited an invite for the July 4 weekend, says he joined Obama in basketball, tennis and golf.

"You can do just about anything there. It's a very, very nice place," he says. "There's a little Par 3 range. Three tees, all for the same hole."

Other diversions? Swimming, horseback riding, bowling, shooting skeet, movies and sleigh rides, says Kenneth T. Walsh, author of "From Mount Vernon to Crawford: A History of the Presidents and Their Retreats." There's even a non-denominational chapel.

Walsh penned the Camp David chapter without setting foot on the grounds because reporters are persona non grata. "I'm told it's like a first-class resort these days," says Walsh, whose book quotes a Nixon aide who called it the "Catoctin Hilton."

Adds Walsh: "The presidents guard that place as a sanctuary, and they're very eager to keep it as a private place. I'm sure that's why the Obamas like it too. It's their only private preserve."

First lady Michelle Obama, in February, told Interior Department employees: "Barack and I and the girls ... just had a little retreat away. We ... got to experience the beautiful, the beauty of those grounds, and it was just wonderful to get a bit of a break and to spend some quality time as a family in nature."

By June, President Obama was predicting plenty of summer fun there. "If Michelle and I had our way, we'd go there every weekend," he told reporters.

Bush has invited Putin, Blair, Merkel, PM Howard from Australia, PM Aznar from Spain, PM Koizumi form Japan, PM Berlusconi, Presidente Fox, and a whole ton of other foreign leaders and other guests.  Does that sound like a vacation to you?

lol

3. lovemychris profile image76
      lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

Nah, sounds like planning for the North American Union...he and Rick Perry worked overtime selling America to the highest bidder....

Remember when Bush wanted to sell our ports to Dubai???

And isn't it strange that Cheney is buying up property there.....hmmmmmmm. Ah just coinkidink! ahhahahaa. NOT.

Perry has been ruthlessly selling our highways....he's in favor of open borders you know.

And I'll betcha he plays golf too.

But you know, when republicans sell America out, it's Patriotic!

4. lovemychris profile image76
      lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

Wonder if Berlusconi mentioned his views on 9/11???

Now THAT would have been an interesting meeting!

google Berlusconi and 9/11.....wowza!

woooops, wrong president:

"It’s common knowledge, he reveals, CIA, Mossad behind terror attacks

Former Italian President Francesco Cossiga, who revealed the existence of Operation Gladio, has told Italy’s oldest and most widely read newspaper that the 9-11 terrorist attacks were run by the CIA and Mossad, and that this was common knowledge among global intelligence agencies."

5. Flightkeeper profile image66

Everyone can now rest easy.  President Obama played golf on Sunday at Andrews Air Force Base, according to a Washington Post blog.  Since Sunday, Obama can now preside over the affairs of the United States with a clear mind.

Oh!  Thank God!  I was worried the One would start doing something besides demanding damned holes be plugged and such.

6. Flightkeeper profile image66

Since the lamestream posted scarce pictures of Obama playing golf, the last time was at Andrews Air Force Base this past week, I have compensated by posting an old picture of Obama riding a golf cart.  This was after he proclaimed that there was a flu pandemic and authorized the mobilization of the national disaster system.

http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2009/04/obama-golf-415x482.jpg

7. Flightkeeper profile image66

As I posted before, Obama played golf at Andrews Air Force Base on July 25th, we have more news of that occasion. Obama left the WH after noon to play with his golf buddies WH Trip Director, Marvin Nicholson, presidential aide, Ben Finkenbinder, and campaign photographer David Katz. Ironicallly, Mr. Katz has not posted any photos of the event.  Unfortunately a strong thunderstorm interrupted the game. Next time, let's time the crisis to start after a thunderstorm.

8. AnnCee profile image66

Good work, Flightkeeper, keep it up!

9. Flightkeeper profile image66

President Obama indulged himself with sports during his birthday while the First Lady and Sasha were in Majorca, Spain.  He not only played 4 hours of golf at the Andrews Air Force Base course with pals, but he played some B-ball with legends of the sport such as Magic Johnson and Lebron James, and welcomed the New Orleans Saints, the Super Bowl winners.  According to Mark Knoller of CBS News, Obama has hosted 45 sports-related events but held only 7 news conferences.

10. AnnCee profile image66

Thanks for the update, Flightkeeper! 

New photographs of Obama duffing must be verboten.

http://thebiglead.fantasysportsven.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/obama_1693281c1.jpg

11. Flightkeeper profile image66

President Obama indulges in a game of golf at Martha's Vineyard golf course, The Vineyard Golf Club during his vacation.  I guess Michelle thought it was okay for him to play golf this time now that cap over the oil pipe isn't leaking as much.  All's well that ends well.

Unfortunately for President O, he was off his game because he ended up in the bunker on the 12th hole, then threw it on the green when he couldn't get out of it.  Hmmm, he's really not a demi-god anymore.

12. profile image58
      C.J. Wrightposted 13 years ago

At least when he's playing golf, he's not "FUNDEMENTALLY CHANGING AMERICA"

1. Jeff Berndt profile image71
        Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dang, he coulda been doing something productive. Like clearing brush.

1. profile image58
          C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Home ownership is a huge responsibility.

Unless it's a golf course, I don't think Obama can recognize brush to know what to do with it.

13. Flightkeeper profile image66

It seems that Mayor Bloomberg of New York City was summoned to play a round of golf by the aspiring Golf President Obama up at Martha's Vineyard.  Hopefully they stuck to non-work related chat, it would be unfortunate for President Obama to interrupt his much needed sixth vacation so far with any work-related intrusions.

14. Flightkeeper profile image66

http://einhornpress.com/images/OBAMA%203%20GOLF%20LABEL.JPG

If Obama ever gets a ship named after him, this would be what it would look like.

And it would be cool if he landed on a jet and declared "Mission Accomplished" before his round of golf was over! LOL!

The sign would have to say "Golf Course" in order for him to direct the jet to land. big_smile

At least in this case the sign would be true!  Unlike similar incidents.

Unlike similar incidents when the sign says "Hope and Change" lol

"Hope and change" is always something to be sought by either party!  Apparently, it was important to a majority of voters!

And they've had such a letdown from the golfer demi-god smile

I am very pleased you dislike him!  Payback is hell, haven't you heard?  LOL!

2. tony0724 profile image59
          tony0724posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Where's the 19th hole ? Thats all I wanna know ! smile

15. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 13 years ago

Good one, FK!

16. Ron Montgomery profile image62
      Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

This president, unlike his predecessor, is also known to read books with no pictures during his leisure time.  He can also successfully chew a pretzel - I'd say he's a big improvement over Goober.

Big improvement -- 57 states and counting. big_smile

1. Ron Montgomery profile image62
          Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He let it slip that we were annexing Canada.

17. AnnCee profile image66

The Party Boy in Chief can also eats loads of lobster without breaking out in hives!!  Whatta guy!

Obamas Depleting U.S. Lobster Supply

by Keith Koffler on August 25, 2010, 2:56 pm

So how much lobster are you having during these precarious economic times? What? You’ve had to cut back? No longer ordering it stuffed with crab meat, at least?

Well, if you happen to be the President of the United States or the First Lady, your lobster consumption is continuing at a robust pace.

Yes, the economy is still getting battered. And Tuesday night,  so was President Obama’s lobster.

Well now, let's get down to business.

According to ABC’s Jake Tapper, the president  savored some lobster tempura at the trendy State Road Restaurant in West Tisbury on Martha’s Vineyard. Oh, just the thought of it. If he brings some back to the White House for me, I’ll write whatever he wants.

Monday night at The Sweet Life Cafe in Oak Bluffs on the Vineyard it was the lobster pasta appetizer for the president and a surf and turf entrée – the “surf” being a lobster tail – for Mrs. Obama.

And what would the vacation to Maine in July have been without a taste of everyone’s favorite crustacean. The president did it in a little less genteel fashion that time, heading over to something called Stewman’s Downtown restaurant where he was served the “Lobster Experience” dinner – just regular lobster, corn and slaw.

The sign reads, "Michelle Obama, 2010 Worldwide Lobster-eating Record." Yes, yes, this is photoshopped.

But the Obamas’ lobster experience is not confined to these shores. Michelle Obama was barely off the plane during her voyage early this month to the Spanish Riviera when, according to the Spanish press, she dived into a feast of sea bass tartare, strawberry gazpacho and sardines, and a main course of lobster with seaweed risotto.

Michelle enjoyed the repast so much that she was right back at it on  August 14 during the Obamas’ two-day Panama City, Fla photo-op vacation. There, at the Firefly restaurant, it was more lobster for Michelle.

The Obamas were supposed to be showing support for the good people of the oil spill-stricken Gulf, eating their seafood and so forth. So the big question is, was it a Caribbean lobster or one shipped down from Maine?

Hi anncee, I thought lobster don't exit in the gulf because the waters are too warm?

Spiny lobster are really crayfish and do not have claws like the Maine variety.  They may be found in the keys and the Caribbean, usually among coral reefs!  Dam!  I should have done this in red or blue to really show I know what I am talking about!  LOL!

Oh man, I gotta get down there to have some of that.  I've delved into a bucket of crawfish and they're okay but it was a pain separating the shells, it's a lot harder than shrimp.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/1376410_f496.jpg

My wife buying some of these delicious creatures from a beach vendor at Negril, Jamaica!

Wow, they come up to you? Sweet. Now who cooks it for you? 

Crawfish and crayfish aren't the same, is that right? What's the dif?

They are already cooked, FK!  And still hot, by the way!  An entirely different species than the freshwater crawfish found in the southern US!  The tails taste like a very large shrimp! 

My wife is an expert at getting the best deal out of the vendors and they complain good naturedly while they choose the biggest lobsters for her!  Of course, she is beautiful so that might make a difference!

Good to know. Thanks!

And you're lucky your beautiful wife puts up with you wink

The trips to Jamaica and the lobster helps, I suspect!  LOL!  You know how women are!  Zing!

2. Evan G Rogers profile image61

... as much as i dislike the president...

that is a stupid article.

"the president makes 400k a year, and thus he can afford lobster...

... hate him"

Yessiree, if he doesn't care about he image he projects, why should anyone else?  He's just the president after all, he can do what he pleases.   It's clear what pleases him is a jet setter life style.  That's keeping some skin in the game for sure.   Maybe he meant the basketball game?

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61

i'm all for a constitutional amendment lowering his salary.

In fact, that isn't even the real  problem. The problem is that we've ignored the 10th amendment so much that the president actually is important.

That makes his position valuable, which makes bribery and trickery inevitable.

18. Evan G Rogers profile image61
      Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

i'm only disgusted that people care so much about the president golfing...

.. he's the president, not a celebrity.

I guess that kind of makes him a celebrity, but he really shouldn't be.

19. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

Note:  A crayfish is not the same as a craw fish, FK!

Ok a crayfish is not the same as a craw fish - but what's a crawdad?

A crawdad is the mate to a crawmom and they have a bunch of little crawfish, Doug!

Just kidding, of course!  A crawdad and a crawfish are the same creature!

20. AnnCee profile image66

Gimme a break!  The ability to use html code at a talk board simply amuses me.  I wish more message boards allowed it.  It's fun.   You know?  Fun???

I feel the same way about producing quality hubs!

I can't think of many things less important than how much golf anyone plays. But if you hate the president and you are ignorant about politics, I guess it's what you will post.

True Doug!  Many of the complaints about Obama are of the childish type!  Many of the past presidents played golf or had other hobbies to help them handle the stress of the job.  But the critics know this too!

1. Woman Of Courage profile image60

I  was just thinking the same thing. I never heard of anyone picking on the previous presidents that played golf or other hobbies. Very interesting.

Either that or polls that don't mean much of anything and think it does. lol

21. AnnCee profile image66

I'll take a look at your hubs, Randy.  Can't use much html on hubs though.  I really should spend some time on it though.  Do you have $ success?

Yes, I am quite pleased with my success here.  Both Adsense and Amazon sales are increasing every month!

22. Tom Cornett profile image79
      Tom Cornettposted 13 years ago

I wish that all politicians would play golf...24/7. smile

1. TamCor profile image81
        TamCorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol  lol lol

Me too!  This would have saved quite a few lives and money over the last decade!

23. JayDeck profile image60
      JayDeckposted 13 years ago

As of August 25th, according to Knoller, Obama has spent 48 days on vacation during his presidency. Forcasting the remainder of his tenure, if he serves 2 terms (possibly a big if), and guesstimating conservatively, he should end up around 240 vacation days by the end of his presidency. Add to that his guesstimated presidential golf outings of 176 and you get 416 days "off." That would still be 561 days shy of the days George W. Bush spent in Crawford or at Camp David. It should be noted that G.W. also spent serious time in Kennebunkport.
      I realize the president is never "off" and i am not whining "Bush did it too." I point this out to demonstrate that it is not a partisan issue. Obama's vacation time, though not as bad as some, is still out of step with America. The average American will take 104 vacation days during that same 8 years. That's the issue if there is one, but so long as we Americans play the "your guy did this or that" back and forth game, we aren't playing the "These guys are doing what to us?" game and that suits the political machine just fine.

1. Sylvie Strong profile image60
        Sylvie Strongposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I get three weeks a year of vacation.  I may not be able to always use it when I'm busy, but otherwise I'm reimbursed for it.  Successful executives can get far more...and things like golf can actually be consider non-vacation business time.  You are correct that presidents before Obama played golf and took vacations.  They also ate lobster.  Our presidents have rarely been Joe the Plumber.  If you are talking about being wealthy or acting wealthy, Obama is hardly the worst offender.  But I thought this was America, where that wasn't an offense.  To those of you that have some kind of populist response like..."but...he's supposed to represent the rest of us and we can't afford to play golf..." I'd only say, where were you when prior presidents did it.  For some people, the image of Obama playing golf, or the first lady vacationing in Europe inflames them more than prior presidencies.  I'm not sure why.  I don't care if we reduce a president's salary.  They don't make much in my opinion as it is, and in any event many of them take pay cuts to serve in office.  The money that presidents make while they are in office is a pittance compared to what they make when they leave.  They write books and give speeches to the tune of millions a year.  Reagan, both Bushes and Clinton cashed in big time.

1. lovemychris profile image76
          lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"For some people, the image of Obama playing golf, or the first lady vacationing in Europe inflames them more than prior presidencies.  I'm not sure why."---Think about it sylvie. Only one reason comes to my mind.

And besides, John Boner makes $195,400, and he's known as a kind of diletant: "SCARBOROUGH: I hear it on the Hill, I’m sure you hear it on the Hill all the time, it’s not reported but so many Republicans tell me this is a guy that is not the hardest worker in the world."

Spends a lot of time tanning, and of course bashing Democrats....I think that's all the guy does!
          Nice not-work if you can get it.

So, Id say compared to Obama, Boner is not really worth the $195,400 he takes every year. Just an IMO.

2. Woman Of Courage profile image60

Sylvie- The reason it is inflaming some people that Obama chooses to play golf and go on vacations is because of the simple fact that he is black. As your post states above, prior presidents found time to pursue their hobbies also, and I never heard anything negative about it. I believe in fairness.

24. Flightkeeper profile image66

"I have been playing golf lately and I don't like my golf swing," Obama told Russian televison during an interview a year ago. "It's a game that I keep on thinking I should be good at, and somehow the ball goes this way and that way and never goes straight."

It kind of sums up his approach to the office of the presidency doesn't it?  One can say his golf playing is a metaphor for his presidency.  So far he's he's spent most of his time in the bunker.

Perhaps so, FK!  but at least he isn't constantly "out of bounds" like his predecessor was!  LOL!  Good morning to you!

Hi!

25. Jim Hunter profile image60
      Jim Hunterposted 13 years ago

I would rather he play golf or take a vacation if the alternative is him trying to "repair" the economy.

I don't think the US can take too much more of his economic prowess.

1. lovemychris profile image76
        lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah--better to elect a Republibagger and they can ruin it again!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)