Do men resist mirrors?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (34 posts)
  1. thirdmillenium profile image61
    thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

Is it only women who can not resist glancing at a mirror when they pass it by?

Or, is it vanity when men do it?

1. Garrett Mickley profile image78
      Garrett Mickleyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's vanity when anyone does it.

My girlfriend stops and looks in what seems to be every reflect-able surface.

2. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just look in the hope that for once.. just ONCE... it won't crack when I do

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Greek's Inventory of Damaged Goods
        http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad279/greenjack365/fantasy/b2.jpg

3. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's probably vanity when anyone does it.  Then again, though, I'm not above noticing what I look like in things like store windows and glass doors.  I guess it's a matter of wanting to keep "up-to-date" on any "issues" that may be going on (like particularly messed up hair, the overall look, etc.).   Plain and simple - yes, it's vanity (but I think a lot of men are just as guilty.   smile  Eh - a little vanity isn't such a bad thing in the grand scheme of life.   (I mostly draw the line on stopping and looking, though.  I try to be more subtle than that.   smile  )

1. camlo profile image86
        camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Me too. I try to do it in such a way that nobody notices. On the other hand, I do it very obviously when friends are with me - they ridicule me all the time about it smile

4. Amy Becherer profile image66
      Amy Bechererposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Vanity is not determined by sex.  One prime example of narcissism noted by the media was by Kathleen Parker in an article in the St. Louis Post Dispatch, May 22, 2007, in which she commented on the repeated hair primping of John Edwards.  Her article was amusing and had appeal in it's comical value. It struck me, however, that despite the tendency to dismiss what might be classified as minutiae, any "quirk" obvious enough to be recognized and noteworthy for comment warrants consideration.  The possible implications of this issue were disturbing in a presidential candidate, the least being embarrassment.  As it turned out, that was the least of John Edward's issues.

2. I am DB Cooper profile image63
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

I've got a giant mirror in my bedroom (no, it's not on the ceiling). I can't help but look at it every time I leave the room. On more than one occasion that mirror has made me notice something that I wouldn't have otherwise, like a stain on a shirt I was wearing or a spot on my neck that I missed shaving.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

I don't like to look at myself in the mirror because I can't face my problem, my problem is my face (just kidding)
    I only look at the mirror once after taking a bath at the bathroom, I comb, then I look once, then mimicking myself when I brush my teeth, I always say, Oh you're such a beauty there, then I practice smiling LOL< it makes me a little bit happier when I smile at myself and have naughty thoughts

I don't know for men..

1. sofs profile image77
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A misconception i would say, I see men admiring themselves as much as women may be more. All salons are filled with men who are so conscious of their looks, I see men doing more with their hair than women, tattooing more than women, that means they are asking the mirror mirror on the wall question...........  big_smile big_smile  big_smile  more than ever

4. camlo profile image86
    camloposted 13 years ago

According to my friends, I know where every single mirror and reflective surface is in the city of Cologne.
    Yes, I check my appearance at every possible opportunity - well, something could have gone wrong since I last looked ... about 30 seconds ago.

But, actually, I'm not vain at all, really ...

1. Lisa HW profile image62

That's the thing.  Just yesterday I had to tell my sister she had a bug in the middle of her forehead.  Then there are things like hair that blows over the part, slips that hang, zippers and buttons that open. the spinach-in the-teeth thing, etc. etc.  One cannot be too vigilant about some of these things (especially the bug on your forehead one.  lol  )

1. camlo profile image86

Or: 'There's something nasty hanging from your nose.'
        I love telling people that and watching how they grab a kleenex and head for the nearest mirror.

5. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

I look for broccoli or spinach in my teeth. I used to look to see what kind of food my children smeared on my expensive silk ties.

6. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

i avoid mirrors

1. Haunty profile image73
      Hauntyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good thing, because once a mirror has seen your beauty it would refuse to reflect anything else. Ever. big_smile

2. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Me too.

7. LaMamaLoli profile image60
    LaMamaLoliposted 13 years ago

I only look in the mirror when I'm washing my face/brushing my teeth/hair. Otherwise I don't bother. Now my hubby...gets up in the morning and looks in the mirror, looks at his reflection in glass, windows, tv, looks at himself at every opportunity. He can give you what he considers  reasonable explanation for it all, but basically he's obsessed. I just laugh at him now because it is really funny- he is also a hypochondriac so not a blemish or minute change to his face or physique goes unnoticed. I will write a book about him one day- no one will believe it's true!!!! lol

1. camlo profile image86

I think I'd get along with him well.
      Apart from the 'mirror thing', I've also got something with hypochondria; a headache is automatically a brain tumour, a headache accompanied by tiredness is a brain hæmorrhage, a slight chest pain (probably indigetion) is a heart attack, a cough is lung cancer ... and the list goes on. The amazing thing is, I've never been ill in my life.
      Maybe I should write a Hub about it.

1. Lisa HW profile image62

Now, even with my mirror/glass thing, I'm the exact opposite of a hypochondriac; so I don't think the two have to be related.  I'm more the type of sees some big, horrible, blue, lump on my ankle and thinks, "Eh...  I must have done something to something. Hope it goes away by tomorrow."   lol

1. Pcunix profile image89
          Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wife: "You are bleeding!"

Me: "Huh?"

Wife: "On your leg! It's a big gash! What did you DO?"

Me: "I dunno"

Drives her nuts smile

2. camlo profile image86

Last year, a German TV personality died of blood poisoning that resulted from a simple bruise. It could happen to anybody - it's worth worrying about smile

8. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

Mirrors all over the house and I hate them!  I look at myself though.  I have one on the wall behind my computer screen - which is torture, really.  I have to remind myself I'm no longer young or I might get up too fast, get dizzy, pass out and hit my head on something and die!  So mirrors are very important!  Men, however, talk to mirrors - well, they do!  and some of the things they say to their best friend there are very funny - like "hey, man, how's it going?  how's it hanging?" and etc.  gotta love 'em.

9. timorous profile image80
    timorousposted 13 years ago

Everytime I walk past one of the mirrors in my house, there's this guy staring at me...really creeps me out smile

10. anonimuzz profile image60
    anonimuzzposted 13 years ago

I avoid mirrors. I'm not afraid of my face, I just don't care. I just use them while I'm taking care of my hygiene.

11. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I don't avoid them and sometimes they give me a good laugh.

I tend to run my fingers through my hair.  Sometimes that leaves things oddly arranged.  My glasses also get tilted and I don't notice, often even if I did look in a mirror.

I am not much of a fashion plate.  My general disregard for what I might look like when venturing out exasperates my wife.  "Fix your hair!" is probably the most common thing I hear as we prepare to leave the house.

1. Druid Dude profile image59
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Known several men who were mesmerized by their  own image. Sickening!!! I use one for shaving and such. The only ones who AVOID mirrors are the vampire dudes and dudettes, but only when they are in human form.

12. bojanglesk8 profile image59
    bojanglesk8posted 13 years ago

I always check myself out.

13. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Outside of shaving (and not really even then) there is nothing in a mirror I want to see.  lol

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I even try to avoid the shaving! lol Not a big mirror type of person, never have been smile
      Never needed to confirm that I look pretty. lol

After all, it's the only head I have, and I want to keep it for sentimental reasons! We have been through a lot together! lol

14. Tom_Radford profile image59
    Tom_Radfordposted 13 years ago

I use them to see what's behind me

15. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

If my hubby didn't absolutely HAVE to use a mirror when shaving, he wouldn't own one - nor would he ever look in one.

16. timorous profile image80
    timorousposted 13 years ago

You don't really need a mirror to shave.  If you've been doing it for years, those curves should have become second nature by now.  You could probably do it blindfolded.  If you relax, take it slowly, and you're at least half way co-ordinated, you won't cut yourself. 

After all, a mirror isn't going to tell you when it's smooth enough. smile

17. profile image54
    traderstoneposted 13 years ago

women want to become more beautiful, but men want to become mroe handsome, so i think everyone need a mirror, but men don't use the mirror as often as women

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)