Why are my clicks the opposite of others here?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I recently posted about how I finally seem to understand how to get adsense clicks, and how my clicks have gone up.

That is all true and I'm happy about that. HOWEVER, all the clicks are coming from my own sites and blogs, not from hubpages.

I've only made around 5 bucks total here at hubpages. Yet my adsense earnings for last month was a little over $216.00, my best ever. smile

I hope to double that this month. But most here have the opposite problem than mine. Everyone here, or a lot, say they can't make anything off their own sites yet make money on hubpages.

So why do I have the opposite problem? I guess it's not really a problem, making money off your own sites should be your biggest goal!

Still it puzzles me why I can't get clicks here. I don't have that many hubs, and I have hundreds of post on my own sites. Do I just need to make more hubs, get around 200 or so and see what happens? neutral

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

your sites are probably more seasoned? you've had them longer?

Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well that is true. But the hubs I made, they rank almost side by side my own post that I'm making money off of. Maybe my ads look better!!  big_smile

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

possibly, who can tell the google dance?  and you are making 100% on your own sites. I'm sure at some point it will kick in.

3. Anesidora profile image59
    Anesidoraposted 13 years ago

I'd be happy about that Bill. Think of just how much less you would have made from that content if you did have it posted here. Besides the many viewer leaks in the right sidebar, you could still be earning 66% more without the share, minus a few bucks to cover your own hosting. If you know what you're doing on your own, it just doesn't make sense not to.

4. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I have been at HP for a year now and still haven't seen a payout - I think that's just because I am new to all of this - my blog and my website get very little traffic right now, my earning are all from my hubs and it is not much, even though my traffic has improved recently and my earnings have improved some.  I didn't come here for money though - that is just an extra.  I came to improve my writing and learn to write online and that is definitely happening.  I am up to over 12000 views and I realize I could have much more than that if I would write more commercial hubs.  Still, I write for fun - I don't know if I make HP much money - but as I find commercial topics that interest me (I do have a few) I will get better traffic. 

What I'm saying is that it doesn't do anyone any good to ask other hubbers if what you're doing is wrong or if what you're experiencing is "normal"  because everyone is different - there isn't a norm.  Some people who write for niche traffic and are already established and link to their hubs here at all their other sites are going to do better than others - depends on the "niche" - right? 

I think we're all curious to hear how other hubbers do and we can kind of put ourselves in perspective that way.  It's fun to share the info - but I don't have any illusions that its going to do me any good until I pick better topics and keywords.

5. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

Thanks everyone. I think the main problem is I just don't have enough hubs yet. I'll set a goal of getting up to 100 hubs in the next few months and then see how I'm doing. smile

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it has so much to do with quantity of hubs. I don't have massive traffic like some here, but I just reached payout last night with 42 hubs where the 80/20 principle definitely applies. I guess wherever your focus is may be where you're seeing more success.
      it will happen.

What, I thought everything I write is super quality!  lol

I do know what you mean and I agree. Really, what's the point of even making a hub or article if it's not going to be a good one?

I did make a purely commercial hub about USB transfer cable. Got a total of 13 visits to it so far.  roll

6. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I make Adsense money at my own site and have since implementing it in 2003.  I am also starting to see a little income here, but it is too early to say how that will progress.

Do you have traffic here?  If the traffic levels are similar, are the traffic sources and keywords similar - in other words, if you got 50,000 Google search vistors at your site, did you get 50,000 here with the same search words?

If not, you probably know what to do from there wink

I seem to get more traffic to my own sites than all my hubs combined. By quite a lot actually. So it goes back to that I should and need to make more hubs.

I think from now on each time I make an article on my own sites I'll make another one, written different of course, on hubpages. That should get me up there fast. smile

1. Pcunix profile image91
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"More hubs" falls under my "Ten Thousand Monkey" method - write enough text and you will hit long tail keywords, unexplored niches and accidental visitor swarms every now and then.

More to the point is that you need TRAFFIC.   Writing more is a way to get more traffic.  So is keyword research (which bores me too much) and link building (yuck).   

Personally, I think writing more hubs and being patient is fine.  Others here will disagree, sometimes vehemently.   You need to make up your own mind about what makes sense for you.

7. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

I also get more clicks and $ from my own sites both in total and on a per unique vistor basis.  I don't think that is so unusual.  I use hubpages to diversify and to post stuff that isn't on my website topics.

Glad to hear you are seeing the same thing I am. It makes sense that we put more time and effort into our own sites.

Plus I suppose I make my own site post longer and better than the ones I do on hubpages. Not that they are not great quality.  big_smile

8. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Its the law of averages. The more you pull the lever on the slot machine the more likely you are to win the jackpot. Consider your time the stake, and a high earning hubpage the jackpot.

Approximately 60% of my hubpages earn me pretty much nothing. The top 10% make up for that.... its a numbers game... multiply your number of hubs by 10 and you will without a doubt find 2 or 3 which make it all truly worthwhile. I have a single hubpage which took me a little under 2 hours to write and publish. It has earnt me in excess of $1500.... probably nearer $2000 now...

Now, I would love to see a hubpage from you which tells me everything that you have done to make those blogs profitable, a lot of people could sure learn a lot no doubt smile

Thanks Ryankett, that makes sense. As I don't have many hubs maybe I just need a few more before I get that jackpot one!

As for writing about how to make blogs profitable, I could do that. But is that really the type of Hub that would get ads people want to click?

Many high traffic pages don't get many ad clicks, and I think that would be one of them. But I could be wrong,,,,

2. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I second that.

Even more, I have  a handful of creme de la creme pages that account for 30% all by themselves.

And the best of them is something that I never expected to earn a dime!

1. sofs profile image76
        sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep , Ryankett  is right that would sure help all of us. I just love these threads there is so much information to glean from.

@PCunix  are you serious about what you are saying
        So is keyword research (which bores me too much) and link building (yuck). 
        I just read in some other thread about how much you work..  just curious.

9. Kidgas profile image62
    Kidgasposted 13 years ago

Ryan is right about the law of averages.  For whatever reason, some Hubs just seem to get lots of traffic while others may have a relatively high CTR.  I am still working on throwing a bunch of stuff up against the wall to see what sticks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)