Brainstorming Exercise: What Are The Penalties with low authorscore?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (43 posts)
  1. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 13 years ago

Ok... lets find out.  What penalties are incurred to a hubber when they have a low authorscore.  I will start...

- Below 75 incures a no follow

- No chance of becoming a featured hubber unless high 90's

anymore?  Anything little or seemingly silly still counts!

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

could it be an indication of our IQ?

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

Stigma. Worries.

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

what sort of stigma?  Are you talking online reputation?  Or hubpages reputation?

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Suspicion of copied content or other problems. That would be the HubPages reputation. People with low scores often seem concerned about it.

1. profile image0

duplicate content doesnt seem to have a baring on authorscore, by the accounts that I have heard.

People with low scores seem concerned, but why would they worry if it is above 74? 

Maybe the worry is purely psychological?  They want to be 'seen' as one of the best?  Maybe it is a ego thing?  **** this is not an opinion, but an investigation ****

2. Pcunix profile image92
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When I see someone who has been here more than a few weeks and has a low score, I assume they are not much of a writer and honestly I assume their general intelligence is likely lower.

Of course if they have no hubs, that wouldn't follow, so no, it doesn't always follow.

1. Pamela Kinnaird W profile image84
          Pamela Kinnaird Wposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL. I'm assuming you are joking.

A person can be here a few weeks (or a few months or a few years) and have a low score because they have other priorities at different times.  For instance, I've been on a blog before (avian flu, financial, whatever) where people seem to spend their lives on it.  They have children to be nurturing, spending time with, going to little league with, etcetera, but - nope.  They're on the blogs for at least four hours a night and then work outside the home plus traveling each day -- so away from home for ten hours a day.

So some people might just suddenly realize they have other important things to do and start to prioritize their responsibilities.

1. WryLilt profile image89
            WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

From the viewpoint of someone who has multiple accounts, some of which have never been used for anything but hubbing - it only takes a handful of quality hubs and a few weeks to put your authorscore over at least 65, generally 80.

3. tritrain profile image71
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

I'm curious too.  I started an account almost 2 years ago, but have only just began creating hubs.

My score is 35. 

Well, I suppose the good news is that it can only get better, eh?!  smile

1. profile image0

You are only off by 2 points to become dofollow... keep on hubbing and being community orientated and you will get some authorscore love.

2. lorlie6 profile image73
      lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not anymore! smile

4. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Eternal damnation tongue

1. profile image0

Well that has already been fixed *whip-slash*

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes Ma'am. I am sorry Ma'am.

5. sunforged profile image72
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Beheading and sterilization, low self esteem and suicidal tendencies.

1. profile image0

Just spit my sunkist orangejuice, thanks

lol lol lol

2. profile image0

wow!  I would never have guessed that THOSE could have an effect on authorscore!  keeeeeeeeeewl!  *gets the scapel out and looks at SF psychotically* lol

3. lorlie6 profile image73

Hey now, I have all those qualities and I have a high score...What's going on?? smile

1. profile image0

Which account would that be?

1. lorlie6 profile image73

Hey, WE-I've got only one account, so as schizoid as I may appear, I seem to keep it together enough to pass as centered! smile
          How are you doing?

1. profile image0

I never found anything even remotely revealing a "monster side," so I jokingly suggested that would have to be under a different account.

I'm fine, thanks for asking.

1. lorlie6 profile image73

Got it!  Thanks for clearing that up. smile

6. sunforged profile image72
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

duplicate content doesnt seem to have a baring on authorscore, by the accounts that I have heard.

-probably one of the biggest factors on low hubber scores

1. iantoPF profile image77
      iantoPFposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure, I've never been able to figure it out. I have four Hubs that I rewrote from articles I had placed elsewhere and three of them are similar enough that they have been flagged as duplicate. my score is still fairly reasonable and I don't think it affects my earnings. So maybe it's not just duplicate, perhaps other things figure into it, whatever those other things might be.

1. sunforged profile image72
        sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

3 out of 55 probably not to damaging

50 out of 55 would be quite damaging

2. profile image0

Great to expel the myth SF!  Thanks smile  However, I have a story that I had up and forgotten about from a few years ago on another website and I remember - when I contacted hubpages - that they said it doesnt have an affect.  But maybe things have changed since I came here.???

1. sunforged profile image72
        sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I doubt things changed - one duplicate vs an account full of duplicates are different stories

1. profile image0

Yes... I can see this - it is about ratios.

2. Lisa HW profile image62
          Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Since I have nothing better to do right now, I went and looked at my numbers for my 308 Hubs.  The duplicate content question is always coming up.  I know nobody can go by one person, but I figured 300 (or so) Hubs is low enough to be able to quickly scan, but a good enough number to get a reading as a sampling.

The only time I do anything that involves any duplicates now are when I write the occasional Hub that has lots of text capsules and may have one or two of many text capsules contain duplicate content.  (I think I have about five of those, give or take one or two on way or the other.)  When I was newer on here I posted several duplicates because I thought they were among my better writing and wanted to have some decent stuff to post on here.   They are one or two Hubs that I wrote as originals and later posted elsewhere (for one reason or another).

I just counted quickly, and I think I messed up one or two Hubs (give or take), but it's pretty close.  Here's what I got:

Of 308 Hubs 60 are marked duplicate content.  (1 I posted earlier in the day, so it's still under 60 (but not duplicate).  Anyway....

Of the 60 marked duplicate:

7 are in the 90s.

15 are in 80s

6 are 76 or higher

None are 75 right now

5 are  73 or 74 (so could go up or down easily)

8 are  70 to 73

4 in the 50's (so I seem to lost or added one in the total)

So, of the 60, 28 are over 75 but under 80.
          13 are 75 to 79.
          So, 41 of the 60 are at least at 70.

14 are in the 60's.
          4 are in the 50's.

Overall Hubs (including both non-duplicate and duplicate):

22 in the 90s

100 in 80s

51  are 75 to 80

Another 51 are in the 70's but below 75

So that's 223 (or close) out of 308 over 70.  (I may not have deleted, but instead, unpublished, some of those i mentioned, if that matters.)  That low 70's thing can go up or down a couple of points, of course - which would mean over 75 or under 70 at one time or another).

The 80s/90s/and occasionally 100 Hubs tend to kind of go back and forth between the 80s and 90's, with some tending to stay where they are.

I'm not too proud of the fact that the rest of that chunk is in the 60's and 50's (most are in the 60's).

Author score-wise, I usually range between 95 and 100, spending more time between 96 and 99 than at either 95 or 100.  Occasionally, I'll dip to 94, but that hasn't happened for quite awhile now.  (I may be headed there now, by the looks of the trend  lol  )

So, for whatever one person's percentages are worth when it comes to getting a reading on what duplicate content may/may not do goes, that's it.  I suppose it's worth mentioning again that anything that's duplicate is something I posted because I know it's among my better writing (so it isn't as if I've just willy-nilly posted all kinds of duplicates of any quality).

(It's probably also worth mentioning that the duplicates that get into the high 90's are usually about serious, or at least no-nonsense,  subjects/issues, like dealing with grief.  They seem to have struck a chord with readers, and have gotten a lot of comments that require a serious, thought-out, response.  So, I think the comments and care I put into responses (in view of the subject) may be what have driven a couple of those Hubs up.   So,  I'm under the impression that a duplicate  Hub can be driven up by not just the comments, but responses that get yet more comments.  In other words, all is not as simple as it may seem when it comes to duplicate content.)

7. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

I think HP is able to predict the age we live until, changes in the score are just an indication of how healthy your living, thus fluctuating the timeframe, I send good thoughts the newcomers start eating healthier, FAST!

big_smile  Thanks HP!  I am cool with 89, but will be 100 by tomorrow I am sure now that I let the cat out of the bag!

cool

1. profile image0

lol... great comment! hehehe

1. profile image0

xo hi girl!

and damn, your going to outlive me!

1. profile image0

Not if this whip will let me! *looking for Misha* lol

8. HELLA profile image60
    HELLAposted 13 years ago

Not really sure, but my hubscore is @ 93. I've been active again after a long absence, but my score was 84 when I came back after a 3 month hiatus. I guess it wasn't THAT long. I don't consider all of my content that I write to be great or informational, but lately I have been attempting to put more love into it and make it original...still haven't figured out the whole making money thing though. 20 bucks in 8 months kind of sucks, but I've been researching and trying to learn...

1. HELLA profile image60
      HELLAposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's $20 from solely from Adsense.

9. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

"Low score" means different things to different people. Supposedly, the HubPages system has been deliberately designed so that the author score for established members should not fall below 75 unless there is a problem.

10. talfonso profile image84
    talfonsoposted 13 years ago

Less traffic due to too much deciduous (seasonal)/ephemeral content. I knew during my first few months that they don't work - evergreen content stands the test of time and continue to earn traffic!

11. sabrebIade profile image79
    sabrebIadeposted 13 years ago

See...I was completely wrong about that.
    I thought if a HUB was under 75 it was no follow.
    What I understand now is that if your author score is under 75, it's all no follow.
    So if I have a Hub that's a 65, but my author score is 95, the Hub is still follow?
    Is that right?

1. profile image0

Your current understanding is correct. With an author score of less than 75, all hubs will be no-follow. With an author score of 75 or above, all hubs will be do-follow with the exception of hubs that have a score below 40.

1. profile image0

The no-follow tag applies to outgoing links from the hubs in question.

12. Evan Hutchinson profile image68
    Evan Hutchinsonposted 13 years ago

Honestly, don't care about the hubscore on bit. My entire focus is on my total traffic, which right now has grown to around 3800 hits per day. If you have traffic, you will get ad clicks. if you don't, you won't.

1. jpwriter profile image61
      jpwriterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow.  That's really good.  I'm not sure what my score is, but it's low since I've only written 3 articles.

When you are talking nofollow, do you guys mean nofollow for links in the article or what?  I'm familiar w/nofollow and dofollow and how to tell the difference, but not sure what you mean in context here.

Thanks

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)