Satan Still Tempts Tooday

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (54 posts)
  1. Troy C. profile image60
    Troy C.posted 13 years ago

In Matthew 4:1-11 we see how satan temmted Jesus,even using scripture to do so. But Jesus was able to withstand him by quoting scripture himself.You must study the word of God if you want to withstand the plans of the enemy. He knows your weaknesses and he will use them against you. He even knows the bible from start to finish, so he can attempt to use it to fool you.Dont be fooled. In 1 Peter 5,it states, "Be self controlled and alert. You enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour".Dont let it be you.Like we as christians try to go about doing good as Christ did,so too are the devils followers going around spreading lies and distorting the truth.Jesus said if you are not for him you are against him,and if you are against Jesus you serve Satan.There is no middle ground.

Troy C.

1. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Only a Sith Lord speaks in absolutes. lol

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
        Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ROFL

2. getitrite profile image71
      getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You may as well quote passages from Harry Potter, or Star Wars, because this is abject folly.

There is no Boogey Man.  That's the stuff of childhood fairytales.

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very true.

4. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Offerd here for review before it gets re-written by well meaning folks!...lol

The actual Verse:

Scripture:  Matthew 4:1-11

1 Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. 2 And he fasted forty days and forty nights, and afterward he was hungry. 3 And the tempter came and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, command these stones to become loaves of bread." 4 But he answered, "It is written, `Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.'" 5 Then the devil took him to the holy city, and set him on the pinnacle of the temple, 6 and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down; for it is written, `He will give his angels charge of you,'  and  `On their hands they will bear you up, lest you strike your foot against a stone.'" 7 Jesus said to him, "Again it is written, `You shall not tempt the Lord your God.'" 8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and the glory of them; 9 and he said to him, "All these I will give you, if you will fall down and worship me." 10 Then Jesus said to him, "Begone, Satan! for it is written, `You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.'" 11 Then the devil left him, and behold, angels came and ministered to him.

5. profile image57
      stoneyyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Meaningless drivel there Troy.

You'd be much better off quoting from a Harry Potter book as it is closer to reality and vastly superior in internal coherence.

1. earnestshub profile image79
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

An accurate observation that. The scriptures have holes you could drive a truck through. smile

2. bojanglesk8 profile image60
    bojanglesk8posted 13 years ago

We must be careful.

3. Susana S profile image92
    Susana Sposted 13 years ago

I am sorely TEMPTED to tell the OP to shove it, but I shall use restraint - how christlike of me tongue

Troy C.posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Did I write temmted, Sorry I was on a roll. God bless you all.

4. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

If I were to go hunting for to kill a man I would not go to the morgue.

Satan is a very good hunter. He has been honing his skills for a very long time.
      If I were Satan and looking for souls to steal. I'd sneak into camp and bring my sleeping bag and tooth brush..

1. Druid Dude profile image58
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you can't bogle 'em with footwork, baffle 'em with BS!

5. Woman Of Courage profile image60
    Woman Of Courageposted 13 years ago

absolutety right! Satan is decietful and he is the father of every lie. We shall  watch as well as pray.

Satan's plan is to provide easy outlets for people to make Christian noises while not actually living Christian lives.  That second part takes effort.  Satan knows humans are lazy but like to feel important.  It feels good to type about Christianity though, you get all the nice feelings without any of the sore muscles, tired feet, or having to look suffering in the face every day.

The only lurking lion out there, the only deceitful demon skulking about looking to undo you is yourself.  You want to be watchful, start by watching in your mirror.

Nobody is out to get you.  Just do good things.  Like, actually do good things.  Less time spent worrying about Satan's conspiracy and more time in the community helping will go a long way to foiling Satan's plan.

If every religious person who spent so much time arguing for religious stuff turned off their computers and went out and logged some time teaching underprivledged kids how to write instead, or organizing a food drive, or doing something for real, think how much lovelier the planet would be.  Maybe some of us who don't believe the stories might see all the good coming out of the religion instead of just noise and ever larger and more expensive looking buildings popping up on corners around town.

2. earnestshub profile image79

lol lol This Satan bloke. Your god made it, you deal with it. lol lol lol

I know, right?  It's sort of like the line the abusive husband always has in the cop dramas, "I love you, baby, but I just want you to do like I tell you."

The only sensible thing for her to do is leave.  But then, that plotline won't hold viewers there long enough to pay the sponsors.

3. profile image57

So every Xian is a son of Satan since Xian's lie.

6. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Well, if he's gonna tempt me, I wish he'd get on with it.  Maybe with H. Berry or A. Jolie as the tools of temptation.

According to the OP he still tempts tooday! lol

7. getitrite profile image71
    getitriteposted 13 years ago

Yes.  The devil is real. This one tried to tempt me.lol

http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr241/shortnlethal/tasmaniandevilreg.jpg

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

8. brianzen profile image60
    brianzenposted 13 years ago

All of human nature's future rests in discerning that the truth is that we are not good or bad at all times. We are always in a process of becoming better or worse. Do not blame the devil for human weakness, just do your best to improve. (my opinion) If there are such forces out there then they always have been, and while they seem important they really are just conditions of your experience. So the devil doesn't make you do anything.

1. profile image52
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is like when you create a magnetic/electrity North Pole; South Pole is autormatily formed. Satan has a role to play as per the scheme of things; assigned by the Creator - God Allah YHWH the Desighner/Fashioner of the Universe.

One has to make a continous effort that one does not responds to the negative force of Satan and one does good deeds for one's moral and spiritual progress.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

lol lol lol Wot a crock! lol lol lol

2. profile image57

Rubbish from first to last word.

9. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Satan Still Tempts Tooday

Satan has a role among scheme of things; he has but to accomplish his role assigned to him

10. brianzen profile image60
    brianzenposted 13 years ago

Some of those old stories are so cool. Anyway "the devil" was really a way to turn young early Christians away from the popular Roman Gods of that era. The best example was Apollo who's name was changed to Lucifer to discourage the worship of Apollo. As the myth of Apollo was very pagan in nature and still lots of fun orgiastic rites were tied to him. Then the word satan in hebrew means accuser, and is interchangable with other words, but really thats all just scare tactics. There is all kinds of evil out there but if "the devil" is anything real it is the combined names of the fallen angels who accused God in the beginning. Thank the encyclopedia of Demonology for listing the names where little would be antichrists can just google it.

11. profile image0
    hamstersmessiahposted 13 years ago

Another name for Satan is Lucifer, which contains the root word for "Light."  The belief in good and evil is an artifact of dualistic thought.  Without the opposing principle of Satan or Lucifer, we could not comprehend a principle like God, Christ or the Pariclete.  Hinduism recognizes that the true Divine principle of GOD both creates and destroys.  The Destroyer, Shiva, is not seen as Evil but a necessary participant in the manifestation of Human Experience.  The symbol for Taoism is the Yin and Yang.  If you look closely,  the white section (if you want to presume that white is good, that is your choice) has a black circle within it as the black section has a white circle.  Good and Evil, Creation and Destruction, are inseparable to the Divine Order.  It is the limited capacity of much of human intellect that places judgments of right and wrong in this game of Creation that is unfolding before us.

1. profile image57

hamstersmessiah posted

Another name for Satan is Lucifer, which contains the root word for "Light."  The belief in good and evil is an artifact of dualistic thought.  Without the opposing principle of Satan or Lucifer, we could not comprehend a principle like God, Christ or the Pariclete. ]

Disagree about the principle comprehension aspect of 'good.'

'hamstersmessiah posted;

Hinduism recognizes that the true Divine principle of GOD both creates and destroys.  The Destroyer, Shiva, is not seen as Evil but a necessary participant in the manifestation of Human Experience.  The symbol for Taoism is the Yin and Yang.  If you look closely,  the white section (if you want to presume that white is good, that is your choice) has a black circle within it as the black section has a white circle.  Good and Evil, Creation and Destruction, are inseparable to the Divine Order.  It is the limited capacity of much of human intellect that places judgments of right and wrong in this game of Creation that is unfolding before us. ]

Divine Order is meaningless.  The limited capacity of theistic human intellect combined with the false promise/threat of 'Eternal Life' by a 'manufacturer' of the universe is the problem.

I should also note the creation and destruction sections of the Christian daemon deity is implicit with the 'Manufacturer' aspect of the empty claim and broken logic of the concept.  It is also explicitly stated in Isaiah 45:7, if I recall correctly.

Isaiah 45 (King James Version)
      7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

I'm surprised I recalled the verse correctly.

12. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

"Satan" is like "Santa Claus".  He doesn't show up if you don't believe in him.  Yes, there is evil in the world, but no Satan or Santa Claus is behind it.   Isn't it handy to be able to blame evil on a fake character...    If you do that you don't address the matters of people who aren't quite well adjusted and mature, or who have mental problems that make them do rotten things in this world.   roll

It's pretty easy to live a life as a decent person who doesn't intentionally hurt anybody or anything else; and if one does unintentionally hurt someone, to own up, apologize, and try to do something to make things a little better.  If you're well adjusted, mature, and secure enough to be able to do that; you don't to believe in "spooky forces" out there, waiting to make you do evil things.

13. Deaconess profile image60
    Deaconessposted 13 years ago

8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and the glory of them; 9 and he said to him, "All these I will give you, if you will fall down and worship me." 10 Then Jesus said to him, "Begone, Satan! for it is written, `You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.'"

Does anyone else see... how Christianity is doing the devil's work?

1. profile image52
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

By treading the Path or Way Jesus never treaded on. It is a path of Paul and the Church and the associates which is named "Christianity" - a misnomer which has nothing to do with Jesus, in my opinion.

1. Deaconess profile image60
        Deaconessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

People keep saying that it was Paul... but I actually think that the gospel of John does more to elevate Jesus to false deification.

God bless you all for giving your input, but the truth is still the truth

1. Woman Of Courage profile image60
            Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome Troy, I agree that the truth will always stand and never fall.

2. profile image57

And Christianity, or any Manufacturer deity, isn't the truth.

14. pjk_artist profile image63
    pjk_artistposted 13 years ago

Hey Troy. Satan/Lucifer/The Devil are just symbolic personifications of doubt and disbelief in the existence of God within us. Allow me to interpret this for you properly.

Scripture:  Matthew 4:1-11

1 Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.

PJK -REMEMBER JESUS IS NOT A MAN THIS IS A STORY TO MAKE US LEARN SOMETHING.

2 And he fasted forty days and forty nights, and afterward he was hungry. 3 And the tempter came and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, command these stones to become loaves of bread."

PJK-EACH MAN EXPERIENCE THE DOUBT OF THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WITHIN HIM OTHERWISE WOULD YOU NOT BE ABLE TO TURN STONE INTO BREAD? TURNING STONE INTO BREAD SYMBOLIZES THE ACCEPTANCE OF KNOWLEDGE OF THIS ASSERTION I'M TRYING TO TELL YOU.

4 But he answered, "It is written, `Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.'"

PJK-MEANING WHAT YOU SAY YOU GET! THE MOUTH OF GOD IS YOURS! "JESUS" ALWAYS SAYS "IT IS WRITTEN" MEANING...READ THE WORDS.

5 Then the devil took him to the holy city, and set him on the pinnacle of the temple, 6 and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down; for it is written, `He will give his angels charge of you,'  and  `On their hands they will bear you up, lest you strike your foot against a stone.'"

PJK-IT IS WRITTEN AGAIN. GOD SENDS YOU MESSAGES SO HELP YOU BELIEVE. DISBELIEF IS THE STONE.

7 Jesus said to him, "Again it is written, `You shall not tempt the Lord your God.'"

PJK-"IT IS WRITTEN" DO YOU THINK THE AUTHOR USED THESE WORDS OVER AND OVER AGAIN FOR A REASON? YOU CAN'T TEMPT SOMEONE NOT EXTERNAL TO YOURSELF. TEMPT IS SATAN IS DOUBT.

8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and the glory of them; 9 and he said to him, "All these I will give you, if you will fall down and worship me." 10 Then Jesus said to him, "Begone, Satan! for it is written, `You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.'"

PJK- FOR THE FIRST TIME THE DEVIL AND THE TEMPTER ARE NAMED SATAN. SHALL IS NOT A COMMAND. THERE IS NO CHOICE INVOLVED. YOU SIMPLY ARE HIM.

11 Then the devil left him, and behold, angels came and ministered to him.

PJK- FORGET YOUR DOUBTS BELIEVE YOU ARE OF GOD AND MESSAGES WILL COME TO YOU.

1. profile image57

Drooling idiocy from start to finish.

Yep! We got us a right one ere! lol

1. pjk_artist profile image63
          pjk_artistposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So you are all so conditioned to think of a physical Jesus and a physical Satan ... that the truth and wisdom will always appear to you to be "drooling idiocy".

1. Pcunix profile image90
            Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Only when you actually drool.  Without the drooling, it's just..

2. earnestshub profile image79

No, I know I don't think of a satan or a jesus at all, just another fairy story. I know that because I formally studied it for two years while I was "born again" smile

15. profile image0
    hamstersmessiahposted 13 years ago

i think Satan would approve of this thread smile

Especially the spelling of it. smile

1. profile image0
        hamstersmessiahposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i haven't yet discerned what Satan meant when he created the typo "Tooday."  but then Satan, like the Lord, moves in mysterious ways.

The spelling might not be correct but the message is. I thank you for all of the responses, positive as well as negative. The positive for the encouragement it gives me and the negative because I am learning more about the enemy and the many different ways he attacks. He uses scripture, human fallacies, lost people, and the overrationalizing of the Bible. I love you all in the name of Jesus.

16. h.a.borcich profile image61
    h.a.borcichposted 13 years ago

Perhaps the OP has a spelling issue, yet it remains there is a thought put up for pondering.
    Apparently those who disagree have a compulsion to ridicule, denigrate and expose their own ignorance. And that makes the "intelligent" better than the crusaders?
    Nauseating.

17. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Troy, as you've posted, it's hard to discern between the devil and the faithful because they do quote from the same source.  The only way you can somewhat tell is to see if their actions mirror what they say.

18. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Satan does indeed still tempt us today... and unless we start showing him some respect and call him by his first name (Earnest), he is going to get REALLY pissed

smile Nice one Greek! lol lol lol

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Diablo smile

lol lol lol I haven't heard  "da debil" called that since I watched an old foreign movie ages ago! lol

19. pjk_artist profile image63
    pjk_artistposted 13 years ago

"There is a moment in each day that Satan cannot find, nor can his watch fiends find it, but the industrious find this moment and it multiplies. And when it once is found, it renovates every moment of the day if rightly placed." (William Blake) The word Satan means doubt. Desiring a certain state, reason may tell you it will be difficult to attain, and your friends may say it is impossible. If you listen to them and doubt your desire’s
    fulfillment, Satan has made himself known to you. Your  protractors - God and Satan - are always with you, for one is faith and the other doubt. Can you imagine you are the one you would like to be, and remain faithful to that assumption? If you can and do, it will appear, and you will realize that its spiritual cause was the moment of assumption.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)