Emails Via Hubpages

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (22 posts)
  1. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

Is there a possibility we could have a new feature that would only allow Hubpage members with profiles to send emails?  I think this might cut down on the amount of spam we are currently receiving from unverified email accounts.  Just a thought smile.  Also, it would be great if email messages listed the person's profile here on Hubpages, which would allow us to stop guessing about their identity.

2. VioletSun profile image79
    VioletSunposted 15 years ago

This sounds like a good idea! I have been reading lately of hub members receiving very unpleasant spam from non-registered users.

3. sixtyorso profile image70
    sixtyorsoposted 15 years ago

I agree with the suggestion and possibly a "capcha" signature to avoid electronic spam? Thanks Ag for your idea

4. Trekkiemelissa profile image66
    Trekkiemelissaposted 15 years ago

I agree that we should only get emails from members, but also agree with the capcha. May want to add re-captcha in to make it harder for the spammer to spam everyone.

5. Jerilee Wei profile image68
    Jerilee Weiposted 15 years ago

I'd have to agree too, the only unpleasant emails I've gotten have been from non-members.  I don't mind comments from non-members, most have them have been positive, and the few that aren't at least we have the option of not approving the comment.

1. ScopAddict profile image61
      ScopAddictposted 7 years agoin reply to this

How do I reach out to you to inquire about having my chart done?

1. SmartAndFun profile image93
        SmartAndFunposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If you want to contact a member through email, click on their name or icon to go to their profile. On the right side of the profile page, above the accolade symbols, click on "fan mail." If the member allows readers to email them, then you will see a blue link that says "send (member) an email."

If the member doesn't allow readers to email them, then you can always leave a comment on one of their articles and hopefully they will see it and respond.

6. Isabella Snow profile image84
    Isabella Snowposted 15 years ago

I don't agree with this suggestion because most writers who get offered work via their profiles would not get those offers if the editors/magazines contacting them had to first register.

I do think a few changes to the way we are emailed should be made, and I am starting a new thread for it because it's not all that similar a request to this one.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/10768

1. Sufidreamer profile image80
      Sufidreamerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Don't know about the technical side, but maybe there could be an opt-out system. Writers could opt to have the completely open mail, whereas others could chose to receive mail only from within Hubpages, or none at all.

7. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 15 years ago

1. There already is a captcha on the contact author page.

2. We can try and do some spam filtering on outbound emails, but we feel like it's a much worse to not deliver a legitimate email than it is to deliver a small amount of spam.  Because the volume of email sent through HubPages is so small and all we have to go on is the ip address of the sender and the content of the email (no email headers), determining if something is spam or not is difficult.

2. Since we added the "this message is spam" link to all emails at the end of last week, there are have been a total of 421 emails sent to authors via the "contact <your username>" link.  Of those almost exactly half have been sent by logged in users.  Of the 421, 6 emails have been reported as spam (around 1.4%) -- 4 were sent by signed in users and 2 by not signed in.  From this evidence it doesn't seem like preventing signed out users from contacting you would make much sense.

The best thing you can do to help us, is to click the "this message is spam" link at the bottom of HubPages emails and then simply delete the messsage.  Doing that will give us the information we need to take further action as appropriate.

3. We're working on adding the username to emails when they are sent by logged in users.  By default the from name is the username, but people can change that today.

8. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Since I don't receive much spam, and I see how this proposed change can cut opportunities for writers, I am with Isa and Paul on that.

And thank you Paul for letting us know of status of username in email smile

9. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

A couple of other points --  the traditional definition of spam has been unsolicited bulk email or unsolicited commercial email.   When you have the "contact link" on your profile page (which you can remove if you like), and you publish hubs, you are to some extent soliciting email, especially email related to the subject matter of your hubs.  Now, you may not like some of the email you get, but that doesn't make it spam in the traditional sense.

This is not to say that, from time to time someone doesn't try and send unsolicited commercial emails to Hubbers through the contact form.  But, it's really not a very efficient way to spam because of the captcha, and it's also fairly easy for us to detect and deal with (versus the one off undesirable email from some random person that reads one of your hubs) ...

10. Isabella Snow profile image84
    Isabella Snowposted 15 years ago

Yes, that's what I meant in the other thread where I said it's not about spam per se -- I was just using the term to describe dodgy emails.

11. VioletSun profile image79
    VioletSunposted 15 years ago

Read Isabella's thread and great to hear that Paul is considering in allowing IP addresses to be visible in emails, that can be useful for sure.

12. gamergirl profile image86
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

Well, yes - if you're sending the IP address right back to Hubpages to report unsolicited emails or stalker-weirdness (there've been a couple of hubbers who have mentioned being leery about the contact link because of stalkers.. which I find creepy in and of itself) but I just think it's overboard.  There's a captcha there, and as Paul quoted, there were only a very small number of emails sent through the system by folks who were not signed in. 

So, if you receive an email through the Hubpages system which is spammy or creepy or makes you feel any sort of negative emotion, forward it to the Hubpages team, it's the easiest solution for you - the only real need for knowing someone's IP address is, beyond the nefarious reasons, to block or ban said IP address from your site if you so choose, or for reporting to the proper authorities in case of ToS violations or the like.

13. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

What I think we'll end up doing is adding the sender's ip address into the message headers as a custom header, something like this:

X-HubPages-Sender-Ip: 1.2.3.4

That way it will be there for those of you that really want to see it, without cluttering up the actual body of the email or confusing people that don't really care.

1. SweetiePie profile image83
      SweetiePieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I would to thank all of you at HP for providing several solutions regarding this matter.  Thanks for all the hard work you did regarding this smile.

2. Isabella Snow profile image84
      Isabella Snowposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That will work brilliantly, thank you!

14. Lady Guinevere profile image66
    Lady Guinevereposted 15 years ago

I got an e-mail throuygh ubpages that said it was a verified email address only the letter was a scam.  If this is the same one that Sweetiepie got then there should be a way of checking these things out.  Here is the letter for anyone getting the same thing:

Martin Cole (martin.cole899@googlemail.com) has sent you this message.
    (email address verified)

Hello,
    I feel quite safe and satisfy dealing with you in this mutual beneficial transaction. Though, this medium (Internet) has been greatly abused, I choose to reach you through it because it still remains the fastest,surest and most secured medium of communication.
    However, this correspondence is purely private, and it should be treated as such. l also guarantee you that this deal is hitch free from all what you may think of and I encourage you to read it to the end so that you can understand it very well.
    I am Dr Martin Cole ,Personnel manager in charge of Claims and indemnity of Global Insurance Company.
    I am contacting you based on Trust and confidentiality that will be attached to this deal for the benefit of both of us.
    The Management and the Legal / Treasury Department of the Global Insurance Company in a recent meeting, recommended that the account of MR.John smith, who maintained a Life Assurance Policy,should be declared Dormant and confisticated hence moving his unclaimed benefits funds to the Treasury according to our Banking and Financial law.
    Recently, I came across a very huge sum of money belonging to a deceased person (MR.ROBERT FINKELSTEIN). He is a foreigner,unfortunately He is now late as he was amongst those that on the recent plane crash during his visit to Canada.
    This man was our client and has a Life Assurance Policy WORTH the sum of twenty Five Million sterling pounds (£25,000,000.00). Right now,the fund is lying unclaimed in our custody and there is NO next of kin mentioned in his file and there is no how we can reach any of his relatives.
    All efforts made by us to establish contacts with any other of his relation has proved abortive and unsuccessful. His life Assurance Policy will expire in the next few months from the date of this letter.
    Just on Monday 5 2009 we received an instruction from Ministry of Social Welfare to forward particulars of all unclaimed benefits that will expire in the next few months.
    Upon my personal finding on this matter, I kept this information secret to myself until now that I am .contacting you. In view of the fact that the deceased customer is a foreigner (from United Kingdom), it is Officially important for the involvement of a foreigner who will pose as a next-of-kin.
    All legal documents to back up your claim as our client's next-of-kin will be provided.
    All I require is your honest cooperation to enable us see this transaction is through.This will be executed under a legitimate arrangement that will protect you from any breach of the law. If this business proposition offends your moral values,do accept my apology,Please contact me at once to indicate your interest at (martin.cole899@live.com}.
    I will use my exalted position in this Insurance Company to present you as his Next of Kin as you can be his relative, friend or Cousin and the Money (£25Million) will be Safely transfered into your own bank account in your country.
    Please include your telephone/fax number/Home Address when replying this mail and I will give you more information as soon as you indicate your willingness to assist in this viable transaction.
    The transaction will be done successfully and smoothly completed via email and phone. Send your full name, address and telephone number to me via email urgently today so that I will call you for discussions.
    I PROMISE that you must be happy and shall rejoice greatly soonest for co-operating with me in this transaction. After successful conclusion of this transaction, we shall share the money 50-50 (50% for you and 50% for me).
    I require you to maintain the confidentiality of this transaction because it is important due to the fact that I am still in active services to the Global Insurance Company.
    Your earlier response to this matter is very important.
    Hoping to here from you soonest
    Best Regards,
    DR.Martin Cole
    PERSONNEL MANAGER
    +447024028665
    Please respond
    Immediately
    I await your good response

15. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL you made your revenge already by posting this guy's email address on the open Internet big_smile

It gets consumed by spambots pretty soon, and the guy starts receiving loads of spam himself smile

1. Lady Guinevere profile image66
      Lady Guinevereposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Great punishment to fit the crime!!

2. Dorsi profile image88
      Dorsiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Bravo!! I hate these Nigerian scam letters! I hope the guy gets a ton of spam!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)