How long before you saw earnings from HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (46 posts)
  1. JulieBMack profile image60
    JulieBMackposted 13 years ago

I have still not seen even .01 from HubPages.  I have 18 hubs and have been on the site for over 6 weeks now.

Do the articles take awhile to start earning money?  I am just curious what other hubbers results have been (typically).

Thanks!

1. Susana S profile image92
      Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Typically it takes up to a year to reach payout, but I would say you are not typical! If you've already been writing web content and understand keywords, page optimisation and internet marketing then there's no reason not to make payout within 3 months. I did at 4 months.

Unless your traffic from SE's is very low, I'm surprised that you have not had one click? Double check your adsense settings in "my account".

2. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have written a hubpage which shows my monthly earnings over the first 12 months, this can be accessed via my profile...

JulieBMackposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Ryan... it seems to widely vary!  I wonder how some are so successful with Google and some are not!  This is the never-ending question, right??

3. Traqqer profile image66
      Traqqerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In my first month at Hubpages, I've earned about $3 from 40 articles with 1500 views. It's lower than what I made at eHow, but am hopeful it will get better.

4. ponx profile image81
      ponxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Julie,
      I had the same question!I was planning on asking it in this forum but I can see that there have been many responses already.Seems like it will take a lot of time and patience.All the best to you!

5. ofmelancholy profile image61
      ofmelancholyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ı'm on 4 dollars at my fourth month. Have very little trafic from search engines. My trafic is mostly from hub pages and forum links.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Julie,

The typical writer sees earnings in about 9 months to reach their first $100.00 payout and that depends on a lot of factors.

I reached my first payout in 7 months, and got my second a month later. My results are not typical, but I think others could have better results, providing they apply everything the veterans have to offer for learning.

There happens to be a lot to learn and that's typically why it takes so long. But, if you can apply their knowledge quickly, then you can get your hubs to mature at a quicker rate and reach payouts even quicker than me. smile

Just my thoughts on it. smile

Wow! That seems like a long time!  I write for eHow and I started seeing earnings after about 15 articles (about 4 weeks)...granted it was only pennies, but it was something.  I was earning $50 a month there after about 5 months and $100 (110 articles after about 10 months). 

Interesting!

Thanks for the info!!

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. smile

3. SteveoMc profile image72
    SteveoMcposted 13 years ago

Since you have written two articles regarding SEO, I'm sure that by now you are generating quite a bit of traffic.  That will no doubt convert into healthy earnings.

4. ross670daw profile image60
    ross670dawposted 13 years ago

Typically, my results have been, 0, not a cracker yet, but as Cagsil says, it takes a while to see any real revenue. Applying what you learn from very generous, experienced hubbers and persisting in taking deliberate action will surely bring results. I am learning more everyday about what works here.

5. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I don't think I earnt more than 25cents for the first month and this month  earnt about a total of $55 from all hubpages affiliates.

6. liljen23 profile image75
    liljen23posted 13 years ago

Hi Julie, I started seeing my earnings around the 3rd month which was June. It was pennies and then afterwards a dollar here, a dollar there. After that I started seeing earnings on a daily basis and it's starting to add up. Haven't made payout yet, but I know I will this month.. smile I guess it just depends on the topics you write about, the content, links, backlinking, and just basically time. I had to learn you have to give the search engines time enough to pick up new content and after awhile if the article is (linked,contented,and tagged), lol., you will surely start to see some earnings. It is hard work and it takes patience.. Just keep at it and you will start to see it..

7. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Hi Julie, not everyone takes that long to make money. It depends on your experience level. I have almost 10 years experience in affiliate marketing and made money my first week here, and hit $1,000 a month (from HP only) well within a year. And am well beyond that now.

It depends on your skillset and the amount of time you spend writing hubs.

Nellie,

I noticed many of your hibs use Amazon - is that a bulk of your income?  I only have Google AdSense right now.  I can not sign up for Amazon as a CO resident.... Is eBay worth signing up with?  Thank you!!

8. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 13 years ago

How long it take people to earn varies widely.  I've got a poll up which shows how long people have been members on the site, and how much they earn per month on average.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Improve-Your-Hu … od_1969509

You'll see there's no set pattern of results.

Thanks - I will check this out!

9. vanchen profile image68
    vanchenposted 13 years ago

Around the second month was when i started seeing daily clicks.  Once you pass that initial threshold, you're golden.

1. sofs profile image77
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting and informative, I thought  I was the dumb kid around the block and that is why it has not converted into $s

10. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

A couple of weeks may be? I don't remember really...

11. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

This is whole different kettle of fish than eHow - you can make much more here, much quicker - but your topic choice and audience is more important - you were paid a low rate just for impressions at eHow - here your able to earn at a much higher rate but your work has to create actions.

For example SEO and marketing hubs are not as likely to earn anything - your target audience is too savvy to be distracted by adsense or buy via your affiliate options.

Thanks - that is an interesting perspective since I have been told SEO can earn money.  I wonder which "topics" are better.

12. JulieBMack profile image60

Thanks for all the responses. 

I guess a part 2 to this question is where do earnings come from?  I can not be an Amazon affiliate (due to being a CO resident)... sad Can you actual earn JUST with Google Adsense or is Amazon (or other affiliates) part of your income?

1. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep, you can make really good money here with adsense, I'm slightly over 1k for the month. Too bad about the CO tax, you have my sympathy.

13. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

No Julie $1,000 this month is my adsense income. This number doesn't include Amazon or ebay earnings.

I have HP identities that write hubs with no products on them.

Great!  That gives me hope - maybe the Amazon thing will get changed in the future - it is a affiliate potential earning I am missing out on!

2. HELLA profile image59
      HELLAposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you mean multiple HubPages accounts?

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes that is what she means.

2. JulieBMack profile image60

Not sure what you mean.... I only have one account.

1. HELLA profile image59

Sorry, I thought I was responding to Nellie. I'm gonna check out your hubs Julie.

14. Don Simkovich profile image60
    Don Simkovichposted 13 years ago

Julie,

I'm earning with Adsense but nada with Amazon (although I'm going to keep writing product Hubs). I'll look at your Hubs and see the topics you write about.

I write about business and it's a really competitive niche, almost too competitive. Some of my individual clicks will generate $2 to $3 at a time. However, I've had days recently when I have 5 or 6 clicks and that's nice.

I'm going to spend more time writing about specific products and reviews. My landscaping articles do well, too.

It took me . . . much longer than a year to get my first payout . . . but I wasn't writing consistently.

I do want to say one of my highest earning Hubs took 8 months, had almost no traffic, and then started earning consistently for me. I did little to promote it, though.

Thank you Don - appreciate that feedback!

1. HELLA profile image59

So I'm just curious. I have made $20 from Adsense in 8 months. For the month of May it seemed to be going up and now has stopped. My hubscore is extremely higher than it was then, not that it matters to Google.

Is it better to write specific products and reviewing products or is it more promising to write about interesting keywords...that is the question. I guess no matter what you write about, Adsense will figure something related to sell...

1. HELLA profile image59

Sorry Julie! I meant to post this, not reply. smile

2. Don Simkovich profile image60
          Don Simkovichposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hella, I'm definitely not a top earned with Adsense but I am earning and my earnings have climbed steadily. Of course, I'm writing content consistently. That's the key.

In July, I made $41+ from my Adsense on here. I was happy! that was my highest month. The first week of Aug almost nothing came in and then mid-August, it picked up again with a $2 a day average in the last week and I almost beat my July earnings.

Traffic goes up and down. I'm starting to write more product Hubs in the hopes of making an ever-elusive Amazon sale. But I believe they'll translate to Adsense $ as well.

Yes, keyword research is important. I've earned money on topics like gasoline, business, massage oil, and the rock group Styx!

Keyword research will serve as a guide to what is trending. But write for the long-term, too.

2. Don Simkovich profile image60
        Don Simkovichposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. Write a few Hubs on a similar topic, link them together, and then promote and repeat the process. I would wait another 75 days to 90 days before getting discouraged. And keep in mind what I wrote about one of my highest earning Hubs taking 8 months. Plus, have fun!

15. Lily Rose profile image85
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

Hey Julie - welcome to HP!  Like many here have already stated, the amount of time and amount earned varies widely from hubber to hubber.  When I first started I had never done anything like this before and I was on the computer overloading my brain with new "input" (I learned almost everything I have so far from hubbers here) for what seemed 20 hours a day! 

I don't recall at all when I made my first penny, but I made my first AdSense payout at 3 months, then every two months, then every month at my one year anniversary here.

Last month (August) was my highest earning month so far at about $280 and just over half of that was AdSense (the rest Amazon).

Best of luck to you.  Keep asking questions here and you'll see the wealth of knowledge and willingness of some great hubbers to help you out!

Thank you Lily for your feedback.  I know it will vary - I like to see how much! LOL  I think I could live with $100 a month, but would definitely like to shoot for more!

1. Lily Rose profile image85
        Lily Roseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's what I thought when I started, too!  I said I'd be thrilled if I could make $200-$300 a month.  I'm actually there right now and already I want more!  I didn't think I was a greedy person...maybe it's a competitive thing, not with others but with myself just to see if I am capable of it....should I be laying on a couch right now?!  LOL!

16. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I started in the middle of August last year and by the end of the month I got a whopping 52 cents!

It took me a year to reach Adsense payout, however, there was a whole quarter where I didn't write or do anything and I still got clicks.

If you stick with it I think you'll do very well since you have experience with other sites.

17. MissE profile image76
    MissEposted 13 years ago

9 months.  I'm about to hit the year mark and I am now making around $30 a month.

18. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Julie, Ive just hit 3 months on here at HubPages and have done about the following as an average income so far

month one income - $0.07
    month two income - $2.50
    month three income - $9.20

This is what has happened for me so as you have read from others, its not typical and most people are earning more or earning less in the same time frame.

Stick it out for the long haul and it will pay off.

and Welcome to HubPages as well big_smile

19. JulieBMack profile image60

Thank you all for your feedback!  I guess the bottom line is keep putting up quality hubs and have patience!!

20. jasonycc profile image68
    jasonyccposted 13 years ago

Julie, my first 2 months were miserable... barely any clicks. 3rd month onwards, clicks started coming in and I got my first adsense payout in 6 months. I learnt a lot from ryankett, misha, susana s, nelle, darkside and sunforged. And still learning.

Jason - Thanks!  It seems I am already learning who the hub pages "go-tos" are!  I will just keep plugging away and maybe I will see a penny by my 3rd month!  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)