Just pretending ? Can we ?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (36 posts)
  1. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

I'd like to try something
      Can we "Temporarily"  imagine or "pretend" if ya like that phrase better, that the second coming as it has been taught, came long ago? Just pretend and see where it goes??
       Temporarily forget all of our preconceived ideas.

"Some of them standing here shall not taste of death till they have seen the son of man coming in the clouds of heaven sitting at the right hand of power".

Lets pretend that; as is implied here, that the second coming of Christ has already come. 

Just pretend!  Then  read what the apostles said and see if we can just as easily interpret what they said to agree with what Jesus said???

I would suggest reading Matthew 23 first, remembering that Matthew 23 and 24 is in fact  ONE story  as presented by Matthew.
       As we consider everything that Jesus tells these four disciples, things that are to come to pass. Jesus then says..

" Verily I say unto YOU, This generation shall not pass till all these things  be fulfilled".
       But no one knows what day or hour.

Can we make a conversation about this?  Just pretending?

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Jerami,

No offense intended, but isn't there already enough pretending going in the world(most it by people and their imaginary god)?

lol lol lol

Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Cagcil  thanks for your participation. 

God has not been correctly defined.
        There are many concepts of what or who this "higher power" is.

The truth is that we know nothing.  We can not even imagine anything before our existence or that of our universe.

Who can say that this is the first universe to ever exist.

For all that we know, this is a second or third generation "Universe"!

Oh how wise we perceive ourselves to be.

That said.   I am discussing what is written in scripture and how if we perceive one thing differently how that could change everything about our conclusion.

As Christians, If we could imagine that every word; (that is recorded that Jesus is said to have said), is true exactly as spoken,  how this would change every perception that is currently held and taught in religion.

Can you imagine how things would be if this were taught differently (second coming as past tence)and the cause and effect of it all?

2. Shadesbreath profile image78
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

3. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OK that rocked.  Not to offend anyone, but lol  true though.

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Jerami,

People are concentrating on too much that is out of their grasp of understanding on an individual level.

As for defining "god", it's just another attempt to explain something that is unexplainable.

There is no god. No need to concentrate on something that has no need to be concentrated on. No wonder why the world is going to SH!T.

People continue to belief an imaginary being exists outside of reality as explained. Thus, creating more problems for the rest of the world and huge conflicts.

There is no logical or reason to explain, like the "why" of the universe. It's a pathetic attempt for theologians to continue to manipulate the masses into believing there is a god. And, the fact that you wanted to play "pretend" for even a minute, is one of the primary problem- live in reality.

Do something in this world to make it a better place. If there is a god as you claim to think there is, then by your actions of helping others, how in any rationalize thought would a god, supposedly omnipotent, turn you away from his/her/it's love.

Again, a pathetic attempt to perpetuate the ideology of a god. And, you are not helping.

I  "don't"  think that the issue of there being or not being a God is a problem.
         The problem is political.  The fact that no one can agree as to what is written in their sacred scriptures certainly indicates that it is not being presented properly.

It is my belief that this was done intentionally. 
         If ya think about it ...  If God is real and Jesus was the Messiah as described in scripture?
         And if he kept the promises that he made?
         And if we believed that he did?
         There would be no need for interpretation.
         And if we never began interpreting his words for ourselves, there would NOT be different denominations of faith.

So  If there is a God? We can not prove or disprove his existence with our "interpretations" of what said.
              According to WHO?

Most believers believe in God in spite of scriptures and not because of them, (as they exist today).

They have a relationship with him!!  And that is unbeatable.

4. getitrite profile image72
    getitriteposted 13 years ago

This would be no different than changing the ending in one of the Harry Potter novels.

It would only have an impact on people that are gullible enough to believe a Bronze Age book of myths are truths.  Therefore they would, simply, adjust their delusion as appropriate.

What should really be taught is that the supernatural is absurd.

...but as long as we are just pretending:

Would there still be an Armageddon?

5. stilljustwonderin profile image59
    stilljustwonderinposted 13 years ago

You have done a lot of studying on history.  I do see where you are coming from.  It does make a lot of sense. A lot of prophecy was fulfilled back then.  The one thing I can't see is the rapture.  Is there anything to show that all believers had been taken up?  Just disappeared?
    The big increase of  knowledge has happened  in the past, what, 30 years?  Was that to happen during the time that Satan  has his appointed time here on earth?  I can see it happening at that time.  A lot of the "knowledge" has turned people from God.  The wisdom of the world is foolishness to God.
    The world has gotten so evil, morals have decayed.
    Another thing.  The Mark of the Beast?  Revelation says people can't buy or sell with out it.

I can see it being either way.  History does tend to repeat itself.  We have seen those same prophecy's being fulfilled today beginning when Israel became a nation again in 1948.  Either way wedo see prophecy fulfilled.

I know I don't know everything.  I sure don't understand everything.  Regardless, in my heart, I do believe.

Love ya

stilljustwonderin wrote     I do see where you are coming from.  It does make a lot of sense. A lot of prophecy was fulfilled back then.  The one thing I can't see is the rapture.  Is there anything to show that all believers had been taken up?  Just disappeared?     
      ===================================

Good question...   The Rapture was first mentioned in Daniel 12:1   When the Little Horn comes to his end (Daniel 11:45) At that time Shall Michael stand up or the children of "your people" .... "and at that time thy people shall be delivered, everyone that is written in the book"

All of Daniel is pertaining to the four kingdoms that had dominion over that Hebrew Nation.
         We should conclude that this also is said to have happened at that time.

Revelation speaks of these that are redeemed as being 12000 of each of the tribes of Israel.  (Children of Daniels people)

When did the Little horn come to his end?  Who is the Little horn?
         He was a king belonging to the fourth kingdom (Roman Empire)
      There were ten hings and after them the little horn rises up replacing three.  The Little horn was the fourteenth emperor of the Roman Empire.
         Hadrian was the Last Emperor of Rome to have dominion over that Hebrew Nation. 
         Hadrian had already began deporting all of the Hebrews out of Israel and Judea when he came to his end.
        Hadrian died in 138 AD

During the time to this MASS deportation and during the time that millions of Jews were being killed it would have been impossible to keep any kind of accounting of the people.

It would have been easy for 144,000 people to have been "Ruptured" and no one have noticed.

And concerning the great increase of knowledge?
         I don't think that this concerns knowledge in Reading writing and arithmetic.

I think this refers to knowledge of things much more important than academics.  But knowledge of God and his laws and prophesy

That is my opinion any way!!!!

1. stilljustwonderin profile image59
        stilljustwonderinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You do have facts to back up your opinion.  I will look at those scriptures again. 
        The increase in knowledge.  I had looked at in both the knowledge of God's word, but also the increase of knowledge towards the inventions of all the things that had come about in the last 30-40 years.
        I do believe the main thing is that we are watching.  He doesn't find us unprepared at his return.  It could happen at any time for any one.  Who is to say that I will be here tomorrow?

Any way, it is something to consider.

That is true.  Any of us (individually)could come to the end of our days at any moment.

I think that the only reason that this is important is that there are a lot of Church worshipers out there that do not realize what thy are doing. And they need to quit it.

There are many Christians that become more offended if you insult their denomination than if you blaspheme their God.

I just think that it is important to know where we came from in order to recognize where we are at when we get there.

Well now that is a problem.  Any one who is worshiping "church", is worshiping the wrong thing.  "Church" isn't going to get any one to heaven.
            Denomination isn't going to get any one to heaven.

I do know what ya mean.  What time is it?  It is getting late.

It is almost midnight everywhere.

AMEN

Been a long day running in and out.  Going to lay down and see  I can stay awake.
                    see ya    Maybe    later

I've had a long one too.  Going to bed early tonight.
                    Love ya

2. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The former fuels the latter until the former is remedied. smile

That sounds like a four year olds jibberish.
        Are you having a bad day? 

Do you not have any comments relevant to the OP?

1. Beelzedad profile image59
          Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just following your words to a tee, sir. I wasn't aware that the pretending you had in mind was geared towards adults so I thought only to respond in kind. wink

Well now ya know.  Thank you.

Your intelligent  conversation is always welcome.
            But we don't need any acorns in our bean soup.

Actually some one thought they were tossing an acorn in your bean soup the other day.  His arguement against Christianity actually added a little more meat.  They don't realize that their arguments only confirms and strengthens our faith.

Yes it seems as if everyones understanding is showing..
                  And in some cases found lacking.

2. Jerami profile image58

I was listening to a black precher on TV  about 40 years ago.
                The reporter ask him if he would like to see the KKK be banned from public assemply?

He said  (paraphrase)  Heck no!!!   Give them that and all of the TV time that you can give them.  They don't  recognize that every time they open their mouth  they are helping our cause.

6. Jerami profile image58

I was running in and out this AM starting the BBQ  and on the phone, etc. 
    Sorry but I missed this post this AM.
    ========================================================= 

getitrite wrote ...  This would be no different than changing the ending in one of the Harry Potter novels.
    ------------------
    Not really  it would be beginning at the starting line and and running in a different direction.  The scenery would be the same but totally different and still end up at the same place.
    =========================================================
    getitrite  wrote   It would only have an impact on people that are gullible enough to believe a Bronze Age book of myths are truths.  Therefore they would, simply, adjust their delusion as appropriate.
    --------------------
      Or it might cause the whole story to become even more believable
    even to the non believers.
    ==========================================================

getitrite     ...but as long as we are just pretending:

Would there still be an Armageddon?
    -----------------

Afraid so  ...   But when looking at it from this prospective we would be able to see all of the footprints leading up to it.

1. getitrite profile image72
      getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, it would not do anything to make the story anymore believable.  The story would still be absurd, mainly because there are no such things as resurrections or sons of Gods.

You will never know what ya might see when you drive down a long and winding road,  from the oposit direction than the one that you always go?   Unless you drive it.

1. getitrite profile image72
          getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That analogy makes about as much sense as your delusional beliefs.  My statement still stands.  Belief in any superstition is nonsense, no matter which direction one drives.  The difference is the mental and emotional status of each individual.

Jerami, prove to me that the supernatural is real, then, prove to me that your particular supernatural belief is real, then your analogies might start to make sense.  As it stand, I'm gonna have to declare you grossly misinformed.

Agreed?

7. Jerami profile image58

Cagsil wrote:
    Hey Jerami,

No offense intended, but isn't there already enough pretending going in the world(most it by people and their imaginary god)?

kimberlyslyrics     OK that rocked.  Not to offend anyone, but   true though.

Jerami      Everybodys doin it  (pretending something?)

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You mean you pretend to be something you are not? How nice. As I said before, so much for being able to trust anything you say or whether your actions are honest.

At first, I thought you were someone who could be trusted and I took you at your word. So all you've now done is proven that apparently your "word" isn't even honest.

That's a shame.

I don't pretend to be something I am not. I know what I am, who I am, and what purpose my life has.

It's a shame it isn't something you've yet to learn. Actually, it's sad.

It seems that your understand of what the point was

wasn't lacking

It never showed up.

It might have something to do with your lack of honesty. Hmm....? hmm

Hmmm

8. blondepoet profile image68
    blondepoetposted 13 years ago

I will only pretend if I can dress up too LMAO. Doctors and nurses are good.

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy280/oldupright/Funny%20Pics/Lost-Doctors.jpg

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey BP That's the doctor who operated on me!

Ever since the op I play the star spangled banner when I fart! smile

roll oh brother!

lol lol lol lol lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)