Would you be angry if someone burned the Bible?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (96 posts)
  1. melpor profile image91
    melporposted 13 years ago

I asked this question because of all the up roar going on about a minister in Florida buring the Quran.

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nope.  I don't even care if individuals want to burn the Qua'ran but to make a public spectacle of it coupled with all the recent violence and hatred towards Muslims as a whole is stupid, is not American, is very derogatory, but worst of all it is putting people in danger.

Like I keep saying, their actions are not making things better.  Their actions are making things worse.  Their actions are putting an even bigger target on all American's including Muslim Americans. 

It is NOT right even if people have the right to do it.  Those folks that believe they are doing their faith some sort of justice by acting that way have no regard for the people around them, about the sentiments of 'peaceful' people regardless of religion in return...

The only thing I see coming from such stupid and ignorant, disrespectful, nauseating, ill behavior is their mission to fulfill prophecy as if they couldn't change the outcome for the better...

NOPE, instead they are so friggin stupid that they are just asking for more war, they are 'hearkening' the holy war which shouldn't even happen these days and they are asking for it right here in America.

It's bs, it stinks in every way.  The Christians who support such garbage are a**holes.  They do not represent America, American values, Christianity... they aren't good people, they are stupid people. 

They should stand down but they wont because they are stupid and they don't care about the well being and peace that could be achieved if they would just stop acting so god damn stupid.

Nope, they will just bring it here, their children and other innocent people who want nothing to do with it, who don't close people up in boxes, who want peace and to work together for a better world, will end up getting hurt.

Then they will cry about it or even brag about how they are being 'persecuted' for their religion as if they didn't do anything wrong.

It is disturbing.

1. richtwf profile image61
        richtwfposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely agree and well said Sandra.

If they want to jeopardise their own lives then go ahead but not at the expense of other peoples' lives - that's pure selfishness and they call themselves holy - maybe wholly mad.

2. Garrett Mickley profile image79
        Garrett Mickleyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is about right.

I've said other things in the past, but people here on the forums, and friends and family members outside of Hubpages, have enlightened me, and this is where my opinion currently lies.

3. melpor profile image91
        melporposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree, this minister is forgetting we are at war right now. This is something we do not need in the news to broadcast all over the world.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes.

Why would you burn any book? To limit knowledge and annoy people. Not a fan of burning any book. I am angry when Fahrenheit 451 is burned.

Disgusting. sad

1. Garrett Mickley profile image79

Do people burn Fahrenheit 451?

Oh, the irony!

1. Mark Knowles profile image59

32nd July is the annual FH 451 burning day.

Not a lot of people know that. sad

I did not, but I'm glad I know now.

I wonder how I can protest THAT.

1. BDazzler profile image77
              BDazzlerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Burn the calendar on that day wink

2. profile image52
              paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What is annual FH 451 burning day? Please

FH 451 is shorthand for the title of the book "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury. 451 F is the temperature at which paper ignites. 

The book describes a world in which Fireman don't put out fires, but burn books ... all books ... because the government does not want people to think for themselves.

When Mark said the FH 451 burning day was 32nd July he was making a joke.

1. profile image0
                  cosetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...and when the clocks are striking thirteen.

1. frankdekelli profile image57
                    frankdekelliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My clock goes to 24.

2. BDazzler profile image77

32nd huh?  Must be a bug in my copy of MS Sutlook, can't find that date.

You just lack faith. If you could be a little more open minded, you would see. But - you are blinded by your lack of belief....... Oh well. sad

I'm trying Mark, really, I am! tongue

3. profile image0

lolololol

4. profile image0
            RFoxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So funny I can't stop laughing. lol lol lol

1. profile image0

lol be nice. smile

1. profile image0

I am....jokes are supposed to be laughed at!
                It would be mean not to laugh. tongue

P.S. Hi Sandy!! big_smile

1. profile image0

HIEEEEEE! big_smile  I s'pose I forgot the *snicka, snicka*.  lol

1. profile image0

*snicka, snicka*, very important.... big_smile

As for book burning....well, I'm a writer, so it's sacrilegious to burn books....

but as Buddhist I must let go of my attachment to books.....

Hmmmmmm......

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/icons-land/nerd.gif

2. melpor profile image91

People must remember the Nazis burned a lot of books and destroyed priceless paintings in an attempt to wipe out the Jewish culture during the Holocust.

All culture that wasn't Nazi culture, actually.

They didn't focus on just Jewish culture.

2. saleheensblog profile image61
        saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

agreed and I will protest against even though I am Muslim. Its not fun. If you don't respect others religion stay out of it, you have no right to make chaos.

I do not have any respect for any monotheistic religion. None.

But I love books and would never burn one in order to cause a fight. Unlike some people who have an invisible super being telling them what to do into their heads.

These people cannot make rational choices and need help. Some of them will even burn books publicly in an attempt to cause another war. They have no moral compass and are incapable of following any ethical standards.

In fact - they are to blame for all the ills of the world. If they would just drop this nonsense, the world would be as it was intended to be. Sad. I pity them and see they will destroy us all. sad

3. Ron Montgomery profile image58
        Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In Europe is the book titled "Celsius 233" ?

3. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

No. It's just a book. God is much greater then words in a book.
      Of course, my feelings would be different if it was an organized effort by government to eliminate those books from society, but I would feel the same about the Koran in that regard.

4. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If it was done for hate, yes, I would.  I am a life long atheist, by the way, but destroying what some people think is "holy" is disgusting.   I'd go so far as to call it a hate crime and would want to see prosecution.

5. dutchman1951 profile image59
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes I would be mad

6. Cagsil profile image72
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, I would not be angry.

7. Tom Cornett profile image81
      Tom Cornettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is one of those acts that steps beyond ignorance. A few extreme churches use to play Rock albums backwards (Claimed Satan was sending messages)...they piled them up and burned them.  Of course they bought them first....which made the Record companies and Rock stars happy.

8. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's clear that this minister wants to send a message. It could just as easily have been the burning of an effigy of Muhammad in place of the Quran. It doesn't really matter, the important thing is the message.

And, what is the message?

Perhaps, it is 'We are Christians that hate Islam, we are intolerant to your religion and don't want it in America and will take whatever steps are necessary to make sure of that.'

... or something along that line. smile

9. LeslieAdrienne profile image69
      LeslieAdrienneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would not be mad if someone burned the Bible as long as it isn't my Bible.

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
        schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're not really a true Christian are you?  Isn't is sort of a sacriledge? And you don't defend God's word?
        Hmmmmmm

I had a feeling you weren't.  And you avatar hahah , not really true eh?

1. LeslieAdrienne profile image69
          LeslieAdrienneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You strain at a knat but you swallow a fly....Believe what you want. You are my sister in Christ and I will not fight with you.....

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image78

ok
            maybe you are 4 real

1. Jerami profile image58
              Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

KOOL !!

2. Randy Godwin profile image60
          Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A true Christian?  LOL!  Here you are doubting another is a "true christian"!  Is there a test to determine if one is a true christian or not?  Surely you didn't pass, if the previous post is any indication!

10. schoolgirlforreal profile image78

not angry, dissappointed

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

No, but it is not the kind of town that I would care to move to.

3. profile image0
    Uma07posted 13 years ago

There are so many religions on this Earth , people belonging to a particular one threaten to degrade others in the name of religion.If everyone starts thinking about his/her own life instead of getting into all these things that would be preferable.
    Burning Bible, Quran or any other religious book only  shows hatred towards humanity not religion.

1. Daniel Carter profile image63
      Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very well stated, Uma. It also shows incredible ignorance and fear.

1. profile image0
        Uma07posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Daniel ,
        This is an everyday issue in India.The government is having a tough time proving our country is a secular state(our constitution states it is one)  but in vain.When you admit a child in school they want to know what religion they belong to,the caste and the sub-caste.You would be surprised if can see some news channel from India. Isn't that sowing seeds of hatred in a 3 year old?

These old ways of thinking are ingrained in us so thoroughly that sometimes I think we'll never get past it. However, Uma, I think it's worth it to keep hope. Things do change, but it's often a very, very slow, difficult and painful process. The more secure we are with ourselves, the more we will foster better changes.

1. profile image0
            Uma07posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm hoping for the best to happen even if it takes time.Thanks Dan.It boosted my morale. smile

2. melpor profile image91

I agree, burning the Bible or Quran only promote hatred toward humanity not religion. Thank for your comment.

3. Woman Of Courage profile image60
      Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree

4. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Yes, it is disrespectful. Same with Koran. I agree with Ange my twin sis,
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/celebr … urpos.html

5. Ron Montgomery profile image58
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

How do you dispose of an old, worn out bible with pages missing?  Is it supposed to be honorably burned like an American flag?

Feed it to a goat. Hopefully the ingestion thereof will improve its chances of being redeemed.

6. katiem2 profile image60
    katiem2posted 13 years ago

No I wouldn't care.

There is this powerful choice of free will.

We all have free will and it is only my right to determine how I operate in my free will not that of others.

Live and let live and if someone feels the need to burn a book it's none of my concern.

7. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 13 years ago

No I would not be... there are plenty more of them at the stores and churches, even online these days.

8. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

The reality of it is that the bible is just ink and paper. The sacred part of it is that which we have already internalized. The object is not sacred. The principles we learn from it are.

Burn away. In reality there is no threat to burning either a Bible or the Qu'ran. Unfortunately, though, people need to feel threatened in the oddest ways. And that's what's going on in the headlines. Looking for ways to be offended by creating a sense of false threat.

It's all in their minds. But not mine.

9. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Nope, and I'll bring the stuff to make smores. Finally!

10. richtwf profile image61
    richtwfposted 13 years ago

Of course it's be a disrespectful act and deeply upsetting to many people. And for me I'd be extremely sad to see people stoop to such a level if they knew that their actions would incite others. So I'd not be angry but would be very sad if someone committed such an act.

11. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Burn away! It is just a book written by man to keep the masses in line.
    The bible was and is a political tool to allow a group of people to maintain control of a larger number of people through fear and the threat of eternal damnation. The Quran  is the same.

12. I am DB Cooper profile image64
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

I would not personally be outraged, but I can understand why others would be. The burning of a religious text sends a threatening message to practitioners of that religion. As an American, I acknowledge the right for someone to make that kind of statement, but I would not encourage it.

13. BDazzler profile image77
    BDazzlerposted 13 years ago

Nah, it's just ink and paper. There are billions of other copies around.

NOW, if they burned MY bible with my personal notes in the margins ... sure, I'd be angry about that.

For just any old bible, I would think poorly of the person. I would have a low opinion of their character, just as I have a poor opinion of the Koran burners in FLA.

But angry? Nope.

14. steffsings profile image64
    steffsingsposted 13 years ago

I would be mildly upset by the intentional ploy to offend, it's just not nice, and WE should ALL play nice (just as momma, Mr. Rogers or kindergarten taught us)

BUT the truth remains even if it were burned to no more than a single floating piece of ash... They'd have to BURN it out of someones heart & brain to actually make any real impact wouldn't they????

15. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

No books should ever be burned, unless defiled by rodent pee or such things, maybe. At least not as a protest or demonstration to cause WWIII or any other conflict.

1. steffsings profile image64
      steffsingsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nice!!! & funny too

2. Ivorwen profile image65
      Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well said.

16. hanijane profile image60
    hanijaneposted 13 years ago

It would completely offend me. But more importantly it wil offend God, if the burner wants to believe it or not!

1. Woman Of Courage profile image60
      Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good statement hanijane.

17. profile image0
    cosetteposted 13 years ago

i don't think any book should be burned. some people, like this minister, want to destroy what they don't understand, which is unfortunate.

18. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Yes I would, because books have feelings too, regardless of the unbelievable fantasy content!

19. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

whatever happened to burning bras instead???

Now THAT'S a movement i can get behind (or in front of)

20. Richieb799 profile image76
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Didn't Nazi's burn Bibles?

The Nazi's burned all texts that did not correspond to Nazi ideology.

1. profile image0

Jews included...

Poet Heinrich Heine wrote in his 1820-1821 play Almansor the famous admonition, “Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man am Ende auch Menschen".  In English: "Where they burn books, they will also burn people."

1. profile image0

Wow, thanks for that piece of information.  yikes

2. profile image52

Burning books might be first stage; the next could be burning...

3. rebekahELLE profile image84
            rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like Heinrich Heine's poems and essays. I've never seen this quote, but it sounds like something he would say.

in response to this thread's topic, I think a closed mind is a very dangerous thing.. it makes a body ill inside.

21. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

Let's remember why there is so much animosity between Christians first. I have seen Evangelists and other non-Catholic Christians break and burn the statues of the Virgin Mary and other Catholic Saints. How can Christians deserve to be respected by other religious groups, if they can't even respect each other's minor differences?

1. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Klara..the same goes for Islam.

2. profile image52

I think the history of Christianity is full of atrocities committed and killings made of other fellow Christians of other denomination; perhaps other religions have not done so much body harm to the Christians.

Anybody with a data on this aspect

1. Beelzedad profile image58
        Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, you could look at the Islamic conquests for starters. smile

2. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What I describe here is happening as we speak. What I'm saying is, if you want to be treated with respect, show respect. That's all.

22. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

If Jones wasn't so religiously insane he would be funny.

Despite the fact that his actions will result in deaths world-wide he is going to burn the other crazy tome.

A book that can be read in such away as to promote burning other books is an interesting idea. smile

23. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

Bibles pages are very thin. When Calif passes the marijuana law and makes Mary Jane legal, I think it would be a great idea to confiscate all bibles and qur'ans (if the paper is thin) and have Calif gov't sell those thin sheets of paper for rollin' joints...eh? good idea? I think so. It's a money maker!  :-)
    ...and in that way ya could burn the bible and qur'an and everybody'd be happy!  :-)

1. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love practical solutions with good environmental outcomes like this. smile

1. qwark profile image61

TY Earn  :-)

2. profile image0

Sound dope. lol

2. Bibowen profile image87
      Bibowenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I get it, what a private citizen does with his own property is analogous to the government confiscating the property of others.

And if you used those joints, would that make you a holy roller?

3. Garrett Mickley profile image79

I'll tell you what, there's only one thing I burn, and it's not legal for me to mention.

24. Ginger Meow profile image67
    Ginger Meowposted 13 years ago

Would you burn the bible for warmth, like in "The Day after Tomorrow"?

1. qwark profile image61

of course...

2. Garrett Mickley profile image79

I don't think "for DIRECT survival purposes" is part of the equation.

I believe that when something applies directly to your immediate survival, then all rules and morals are gone and we as humans should do what it takes to survive.

However savage it might get...

Survival of the fittest, right?

25. profile image0
    AMBASSADOR BUTLERposted 13 years ago

No. Jesus wrote on the ground in the dirt while the accusers of the woman caught in adultery looked over his shoulder and walked away from the elder to the youngest. Do not know what was written down by Jesus because it does not matter. What does matter is what kind of human being that you are on the earth. The greatest human being on the earth is those who live out their life in LOVE PEACE AND FREE. This is who everybody is as a human being. Being this shines out to everyone. Then you have the knucklehead  like that pastor in Florida who do not know who he is as a human being and playing right into the hands of death and destruction. I hope that he will change his mind and listen to GOD and not do it because the consequence will be deadly and will only start the cycle of violence and not put an end to violence between man and man. Pastor you need to stop this foolishness and be LOVE PEACE FREE which is you and everybody else on the earth and throughout all the universe.

Even if he's already decided he feels it's wrong, we will do it anyway just to save face.

26. earnestshub profile image79

Does burning the bible exorcise the fairies in it? smile

27. earnestshub profile image79

When the bible is burnt, is that just smoke or the holy spirit leaving? smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)