Can "The Dog Ate My Homework" really be true?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (20 posts)
  1. gracenotes profile image88
    gracenotesposted 13 years ago

Aagh!  I was terribly busy trying to publish a hub, and my miniature schnauzer was off getting into mischief.  I walked into the living room to find a few fragments of a newsletter that I'd received from my old workplace.

Where did the rest of that newsletter go?  Into her stomach?  I can't find the rest of the newsletter to piece it together!

This doesn't happen often, because I'm usually very careful not to leave papers lying around.  But sometimes....

"Schnauzer Babe" never does this when I'm away.  She only acts naughty when I'm around the house.  I believe she is like a child, who wants any kind of attention -- even negative attention.

1. Eric Calderwood profile image78
      Eric Calderwoodposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Definitely can be true.   Cats seem to dislike homework as well.  My son had almost finished a geography map that he had worked on for days and was due the next day.  He took a break and came back to find the whole thing shredded by the cat.

2. profile image0
      Norah Caseyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When I was in high school, my first dog ate a 6 page report I was working on. She would occasionally steal a tissue, but that report was the only paper she ever ingested. Luckily, it passed okay.

I think you are right, it is likely related to feeling ignored. Still, it was pretty shocking to find only the stapled corner and some other scraps on my bedroom floor!

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"It passed." I assume you passed the class, too.

1. profile image0
          Norah Caseyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I did, but the teacher didn't buy the story. That was the first and last time I had a pet eat something important. I'm not sure if I would buy that excuse either, even knowing that it has happened to me.

3. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My little dog likes to shred papers- receipts, up to newspaper page sizes.

She only does it in the morning after I bring her back from her early morning walk-- and when I am checking emails or busy with something else.  Yes, I think it is a game and for attention. She is ready to play.

When I walk toward the room where she is, she immediately finds a chew stick or a toy. "Nope, not me-- see, I have a chew bone."
      She doesn't do it as much as she used to -- partly because we try harder to keep things out of reach.

2. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

I actually had a PROFESSOR tell me the CAT ate my homework.  As in HER cat ate MY homework.  She had to request another copy of the paper because her cat shredded it before she read and graded it.  I asked her if I had given her that excuse when it was due if she would have let me turn it in late, and she said, "Nope."  LOL.

3. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Maybe she didn’t like the articles…

4. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

She's probably enjoying watching you try to recover what you can of the newsletter!  Little beast! smile

5. saleheensblog profile image61
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

dogs hate newsletters from old workplace

6. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 13 years ago

Lol...only had it happen in reality once, and that was an 18-month-old Rottweiler who apparently thought the homework looked tasty. That said, if I still had homework I'm sure it would be true again, my miniature schnauzer cross loves to shred any paper she can get a hold of.

7. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 13 years ago

Vivi (my bitch) tore and ate some pages from a religious text (which shall remain nameless to avoid turning this thread into a religious crapstorm).

1. gracenotes profile image88
      gracenotesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Maddie, I've heard of this happening.  Vivi was getting "fed" on the Word.

Cats!  Yikes, these replies are funny.  I don't know how you stop cats who have all of their claws.  My cousin has several kitties, and they had fun shredding and clawing her leather sofa, which she admitted was not a high-quality piece!

8. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

My dog ate someone elses homework, after I copied it of course!! big_smile

9. caninecrtitics profile image60
    caninecrtiticsposted 13 years ago

I have had it happen before with my old yellow lab.  He ate half a phone book in 15 minutes or less.  So eating your homework can happen lol.

1. timorous profile image81
      timorousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ahh yes...but did he find the number he was looking for? lol

10. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 13 years ago

My pets have never eaten any homework or other important paperwork, however, today I watched my son start in on his own homework.  I let him know that if he tore one more piece of paper off to eat, he would be rewriting the entire piece.  Yikes!

11. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

My Boregard loves to eat paper, can't leave it around him. His bitch daughter Brandy eats cell phones and everything else she can get. So yes, a dog can eat homework. Boregard poops out paper turds after consuming it.

12. Sunny Robinson profile image70
    Sunny Robinsonposted 13 years ago

Wellllll.

I have had my dogs get into the trash and rip up tough plastic bags (like the plastic bags that frozen foods come with or the ones you get beef jerky in).  Fortunately, they are about 90% trained and grown out of that.

Just tonight I caught two puppies sharing a potato - one on each end and gnawing away.  As if they don't have toys! Tsk tsk.  And how did they get that potato anyway?  Still got some training to go.  Sigh.

My cat has shredded many, many things, as well.  He's not much help either.

So, if my stepchildren actually tell their teachers that their pets ate their homework, I probably would vouch for it and show evidence of the damage our animals can do. smile  And I would be all, "I know because I clean up after these darn animals".

13. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

My dogs ate some thank-you notes. I had 2 Akitas who ATE an entire rocking chair. I don't mean they chewed on it - I mean they ATE it! I had a wolf-dog who ate a string of Christmas lights, according to Randy Godwin who was keeping the dog for me at the time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)