"Burning the Koran"

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (66 posts)
  1. D.A.L. profile image66
    D.A.L.posted 13 years ago

Is burning the Koran any more insulting or offensive as certain other countries burning the Stars and Stripes or the Union jack and effigies of our democratically elected leaders?

1. nikki1 profile image60
      nikki1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is the Muslims Holy bible. Yes. You can get any worse than that. Whats worse a Pastors doing this. Talk about "sad", horrific.
      Very disappointing in my opinion. Ours and the Muslims Quran's / Holy bibles are written by qualified ministers. You can't get any better than that. Also, what the Pastors doing is an act of war
      by threatening to burn them. That kind of makes him look like
      an idiot. Mocking church/religion etc.. sad.
      I for one and a proud Christian. I personally am insulted.
      Putting our awesome troops in danger for his stupidity.
      Again, in my opinion.
      Smiles to all smile

1. profile image50
        smattomposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But it's just a booook!

Surely allah/yahweh/god and moh/jesus/abe/whoever are big enough to take a bit of mockery...can't their followers do the same?

2. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As a Christian myself, I find it very insulting that another Christian would call the Koran "holy" at all.   At best, it's a poor imitation of the Bible, and at worst, a devilish book.
        Remind you of anything?---like, perhaps, the Devil's habit of quoting Scripture with a wicked twist?   Nah, maybe you just don't get it at all.

"An act of war"?   Dear God, I hope you jest.  Lord grant that woman a smidgen of wisdom please.

1. Paul Wingert profile image61
          Paul Wingertposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just as the Bible is a poor immitation of the Jewish Bible and the Jewish Bible is a poor immitation of the Book of the Dead used by the ancient Eqyptions (founders of the modern western religions). The Jewish Bible, The Holy Koran, and the Holy Bible all say the same thing (I read through all three) and I concluded if you took out all the death threats and bigotry, these books can be summed up in a few pages.

2. Daniel Carter profile image63
          Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow. That really smacks of a supremacist attitude. You imply that nothing is sacred except for that which YOU value as sacred. Can it be any wonder then, how others don't have respect for Christians when so many Christians don't have respect for other religions?

2. profile image0
      Jake Gene Barnesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

All I will say is this:

If I purchase a copy of the Koran, then I am the rightful owner of that property.

If I then choose to burn that book... well... it's a waste of money, but ultimately MY decision to make.

NO ONE has the right to tell me what I can and cannot do to MY copy of the Koran that I purchased with MY money.

1. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
        Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Owning Truth, is a very difficult proposition ... Do you understand ?

1. pisean282311 profile image63
          pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

owning truth or what you think is truth?...your faith says that it is truth but does that mean other person should also think so?...in same way if other person says bible is truth...you might disagree with it...

3. Abhaque Supanjang profile image71
      Abhaque Supanjangposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The answer is so simple - what about if your holy book were burnt by others ?

1. profile image0
        jomineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What is "holy"?
        If the fellow has paid the money to get the book, he can as well eat it, who cares?

2. TMMason profile image61
        TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It has been, and pissed on, among many other examples of "Art", and "free speech", it is to be expected in a society where people are free to do, and say as they wish.

Which in Isalm is not so... welcome to America and freedom.

He, or they, can buy it, he or they can burn it, piss on it, wipe their asses with it, or any other thing they wish to do with your holy book, or mine.

And there is nothing you can do about it... welcome to the club.

It is called freedom.

1. deblipp profile image61
          deblippposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are ignoring the question, though. There is absolutely a legal right in the U.S. to burn books. The question was --'how offensive is it,' not 'is it legal.'

1. TMMason profile image61
            TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Courts have ruled it is freedom of expression, and freedom of speech... that is what counts.

We, Christians, do not like our book burned it all... but we do not kill and slaughter and burn and stone people over it. That is not your right to do regardless of how you feel about their actions... too bad.

You do not have to like my rights, for them to be my rights... that is just the fact of it.

And my answer was the answer to your question... they have the right to do it... period! You do not get to slaughter and burn people and churches because they do it.

4. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Burning any book religious or not is an offence against man and literature. Books are nobody's enemy.

5. profile image0
      darknight444posted 12 years agoin reply to this

zd

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

No more or less insulting or offensive -- desecrating anyone's sacred book or flag or icon is the height of disrespect.
    Should America be held to a different standard? Yes.
    Other countries don't have the same Constitution we have.
    Obviously they feel differently about a lot of things -- the value of human life, for one.
    Here we have something called "freedom of religion." As Americans we have an obligation to uphold that.
    Burning Korands is much more than a cheap publicity trick (and unfortunately, it's working). It's a foolhardy act.
    Like waving a red glad in front of the bull in a bullfight.
    Not very smart.
    And finally, pretty despicable behavior coming from a "man of God."  That's not my God.

3. Traqqer profile image67
    Traqqerposted 13 years ago

We shouldn't do things like this for the same reason we would find it offensive if someone burned our flag in this country. This country is made up of people of different cultures and we have to respect each one, even if we don't agree with certain beliefs. That's what makes this country great.

I heard a pastor once say some very wise words. Rather than preaching that we should pray for each person in this country to follow God, we should all pray that our governmental leaders have the wisdom to uphold religious tolerance and freedom to allow everyone to decide what they want to do with their lives.

4. Cleanclover profile image43
    Cleancloverposted 13 years ago

Burning newspapers is much more less controversial and beneficial than burning quran ;-)

5. hipriestess4u profile image60
    hipriestess4uposted 13 years ago

ignorance is no alibi, maybe the good pastor of Jesus should read the Koran before he burns it, however I stand by his right to do it.  Just as I stand by the Right of the Muslim community to build a mosque near ground zero. 

Without the constitution the United States is a third world country ruled by Tyrants, oh wait....they've already subverted the
    constitution and we are a third world country ruled by an Oligarchy headed by a British Subject.....we are under tyranny,
    in that case burn the Koran and knock down that mosque....or don't build that mosque and don't burn that koran......what difference does it really make, the powers that be keep the sheeple ever ignorant and hateful.  That's what it's really all about, keeping people angry and fearing the limit we call death.

Got to fear for our very lives, otherwise there is no place in this here Good US one nation under god, no we've been under the eye of the Illumined ones.  Enslaved and we are all serfs because the federal reserve owns each and every one of us and the British crown owns the Federal Reserve.

So all this bantering about hate, whether it's illegal aliens or muslims wanting to practice their faith in piece, comes from those who have sworn to protect us, they no longer care to protect us from ourselves, and as all of this shit hits the fan, we will find we are our own worst enemies.  Nothing like looking into the face of god when you wake up in the morning.

Krishna says to Arjuna, "in the end when I show myself, Wholly,
    man will see how perverse he has become."

Now that's what I call the 'last' judgement.

6. Shil1978 profile image87
    Shil1978posted 13 years ago

Well, both are condemnable and shameful acts!! I don't think sane people participate in either. It is unnecessary provocation.  I hope better sense prevails!!

7. Traqqer profile image67
    Traqqerposted 13 years ago

It's just a childish act by a man who doesn't have whole lot more time on this earth. That pastor needs to grow up.

They say "youth is wasted on the young." Well, in this case, "wisdom is wasted on the old."

8. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Interesting responses, as also other replies in another thread.

I find the action, neither appalling or even relevant. It is one single book, burned for a singular reason and that person did not HURT anyone in the process of doing it.

If it's seen as a sign of disrespect, then those who see it that way should get over themselves and see it from a different perspective other than the self-absorbed view used.

If a person wants to burn a flag, regardless of what country it is from, it is their right and freedom to do, as long as no one is hurt during the action. It's their individual right to protest if they so choose and it isn't anyone's place to tell them different, because it isn't anyone's place to infringe upon their individual right to life and right to choose.

I'm already getting sick of hearing about this subject and people need to seriously grow up.

9. Haunty profile image75
    Hauntyposted 13 years ago

I think most people would do well to not talk about the Koran as long as they know virtually nothing about it.

1. Cleanclover profile image43
      Cleancloverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's what i said. Burning newspapers is better. big_smile

2. kephrira profile image61
      kephriraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you assuming that anyone that doesn't Islam or the Qu'ran must be ignorant?

That is remarkable arrogance on your part if you are - it is basically saying that anyone who doesn't hold my opinion is ignorant.

I don't like it because I do know about it, not because I don't.

1. Haunty profile image75
        Hauntyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't understand this question. Islam means "surrender", so you're probably suggesting that I should surrender to the opinion of the hub-majority. wink

10. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Oh come on bible or quran is just another book written on paper. And none of us in this forum paid for that copy(which was burned). So why bother if someone burns it ? It's loss of those who paid for it.

Just because bible preaches love doesn't mean it's peaceful towards rest of the religions and ideologies. And same goes with quran, just because it is loaded with keywords like "peace", "surrender" doesn't mean that it is in peace with other religions/ideologies.

No matter how you interpret these verses they end up showing islam's no-tolerance policy towards those who don't subscribe to islam.

As for burning scripture part goes, it's quite common here in asia. Pakistani's burn flags of USA/India/UK on regular basis. And some religious nutcase in india do the same.

http://islamicterrorism.wordpress.com/2 … -in-dhule/

11. Rod Marsden profile image67
    Rod Marsdenposted 13 years ago

People tend to forget that there were Muslims in the Twin Towers during 9/11 who also died. Whereas a mosque at ground zero is something I cannot condone, the notion of burning copies of the Koran in remembrance of 9/11 is also not a good thing.

1. raisingme profile image75
      raisingmeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

People tend to forget whatever it serves them to forget!

1. Rod Marsden profile image67
        Rod Marsdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well then raisingme we need to ring the bells and remind people. Since you are here you can help.

12. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Many people say that the loe of money is the root of all evil.

I don't think so.

In my opinion, Self justification, for doing something that we know is not the right thing to do,  is the root of all evil.

Just a thought.

1. profile image0

Jerami,
      actually it's God who says the love of money is the root of all evil.
      Guess HIs thoughts aren't always our thoughts, huh?

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know ?  It just doesn't seem right.
        I guess that this would be one of those things that I would have to question. 
          The manner in which we self justify in order to get the money?

How many sins are committed that money is not involved?
        Murders committed for jealousy,
        lust of sex, or power ????

I knew that I had Read  that money was the root of all evil but do not remember where It is written..

1. profile image0

1 Timothy 6: 10 says the love of money is the root of all evil.

However, I think you may be right after all, in that it means that the love of money is the root of many kinds of evil, but is NOT the only source of evil.

My apologies for confusing this subject.

1. Jerami profile image59
            Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No problem..  If I had remembered where this was written or if I had had the initiative I would have looked it up.
               Thank you or finding it or me.

This is an example of something that I have mentioned before.
            Many people will read something that one of the disciples said and  take it as if Jesus was the one that said it. Forgetting that the disciples were just people who sometimes embellish upon a point due to the situation at hand.
               I don't think that this can be said for those things that Jesus said. I believe this is why Jesus often spoke in parables. 
              When Jesus spoke in definitive terms, they meant exactly what was spoken.
               But that is just my prospective.

I also apologize for posting OFF the original topic.

2. pisean282311 profile image63
        pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

@brenda money is human creation not gods...money is mere mode for transaction...how can something which is means be root of evil...root of evil is greed and money,gold,politics and even religion are means for that greed...so we see some many religion ,politics nexus...that is root of evil...money , power , gold , politics ,religion are neutral ..how one uses it matters and alas most use it for greed...

13. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

I think, as with a lot of things, it is down to intent.

If someone burns the Koran in their fireplace in the privacy of their own home to keep warm

or

Burning a Koran in a public place to make a gesture

In the second instance, that person must be aware that they are being provocative and wanting to whip up a reaction,  In the first, they are just trying to keep warm!

1. profile image0
      luabuposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is burning the Koran any more insulting or offensive as certain other countries burning the Stars and Stripes or the Union jack and effigies of our democratically elected leaders?
      hi all /good thread/good variety of ideas
      i always try to answer the question

my answer is no it is not

a political or democratic symbol     v   a religous symbol

what is being insulted in both cases are peoples beliefs embodied in the effigy or book

burning or destroying these things is a childish thing to do
      i can't play with it so i'm going to break it

it is also a conscious act to send a message of threat to the person who  holds that symbol dear/good subject but to answer the question /the answer is no

1. profile image0

religous conviction burns religous conviction

nothing new here

here's a guy burning some papal bull he found objectionable
        maybe i could burn some papal bull myself
        it looks highly flammable

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4254746.jpg

14. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

If burning the Koran is more offensive then burning the stars n stripes for instance, maybe we need to come up with an equation for when its ok to burn the Koran.

If M equals the Koran being burnt
    and X equals the stars n stripes being burnt
    and Y equals the value of insult that will be attained by burning said symbol

we can calculate how may stars n stripes can be burned before we can burn a koran. Something like

if M=X/2 then X/2=MY so we can deduce that for every 2 flags burned we can burn on Koran?

Sounds reasonable don't it? Perhaps a mathematician out there could refine the formula for ascertaining when it is OK to burn a Koran?

15. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

On balance it would be more reasonable and useful to the world if we burned the people who burn anything that increases the heat of hatred and division.  You know, just like the christians did when they took over 1500 years ago and continued doing so until common sense took hold and they had their vicious teeth pulled.

1. kirstenblog profile image79
      kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Burning people instead? Well they did manage to rid the world of those pesky witches! Or did they? hmm

1. profile image0
        china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

From the numbers that post in these forums I guess they missed a few, they must have diguised themselves as christians big_smile

I think they must be pretty red in the face now! lol
          Seems like more then a few to me, tho some of it is going to be peer pressure surely big_smile

2. profile image0

mao was a top class book burner
          no need to respond on this china man/approx 55000 women were burned in europe as witches /not a witch among them
          a bit shallow and insensitive lads if you ask me

what we call up our way gobshites

Just thought you might need this, from the dictionary smile

Joke
            noun
            noun
            a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, esp. a story with a funny punchline : she was in a mood to tell jokes.
            • a trick played on someone for fun.
            • [in sing. ] informal a person or thing that is ridiculously inadequate : the transportation system is a joke.

verb (intrans.)
            make jokes; talk humorously or flippantly : she could laugh and joke with her colleagues | [with direct speech ] “It's OK, we're not related,” she joked.
            • [ trans. ] archaic poke fun at : he was pretending to joke his daughter.

16. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

We could between us formulate a rock solid solution for all the problems of the world and it would mean squat. This is a forum, not to be mistaken for real life smile

1. profile image0

did you look where you guys were having the chat kirstenblog
      its called burning the koran 
      i take your point and conceed
      glad you were only joking
      i was just back from the hub about evacuating christians out of iraq
      i come to hubs not as a social networking pastime but with a zeal to change and influence
      usally i do this in a ham fisted way
      this may have been one ot those times

I treat my hubs with much more seriousness then I do the forums. When I am motivated and itching to work I write hubs. When I am bored (like today) and unmotivated thats when I hit the forums. Having been around for more then a year I have yet to see anyone change their beliefs because of the forums. Sometimes someone will have read a hub that really got them thinking and they post here to see if others are equally provoked into thought, for rebuttals, ect. But in the forums, the religious will always be religious, the atheists will always be atheists and those in the middle will always have fun in the middle wink

1. profile image0

kirstenblog
          i view the forums differently
                  you get immediate response/people off their guard/more energy/more people listening in /its the market square /its standing on the box
                 look how we tangled/ i have an idea of what i think you are like by your response to my firs onslaught/our interaction has been real and evolving/ i like the forums better/thats where the work gets done
          luabu

Oh I can have a whale of a time getting tangled with someone who is not trying to convert me to their way of thinking but just wanting to challenge and be challenged. I am a writer after all wink
            Gotta love having the chance to sharpen my writing wit big_smile
            I just have seen so many get upset and leave, folks I really liked chatting with. I have seem the same arguments over and over again in the space of merely one year. Talking about serious issues seriously was getting me no where, so I am going the other way wink
            Perhaps by being silly will bring these things back down to size. Well anyway, it is nice to chat with someone willing to actually debate smile. I am sure from time to time our writing wit will be tested by the other and I shall look forward to seeing how you change in the time to come smile

1. profile image0

nice one kirstenblog you have me social networking already !

Oh, you gotta watch out for me, I'm wily! lol wink

2. profile image0

So you will be apologising to me for the gobshite insult then - so that I don't have to go into the whole turnip head routine thingy ??  big_smile

1. profile image0

if it saves me from the turnip head thingy then i definately want to apologise
          china man

1. profile image0

Where in Ireland are you ?  I inspected over 150 bridges in the North and travelled down to get the ferry through the South from all sides, although all roads seemed to lead to Dublin as far as I remember !

17. kawsar ahmad profile image60
    kawsar ahmadposted 13 years ago

Just remember burning God's book is between you and God and God takes account of everything. When a muslim says dont do it its because he cares for Allah's book but he also cares about what might happen to you for doing such a thing as burning Allah's book. Try to see why we might be averse to it and that its not only about us but we do worry what on earth will Allah do to us if as Muslims we dont try and protect his book

18. profile image49
    Muslim guyposted 13 years ago

Lets connect this and terrorism.

We all know that there is a bunch of pathetic losers you say they are muslim, but they aren't? (some of you may dissagre but thats another matter) they think violence is an answer.
    Now lets pretend they see Americans burn the quran. what do you think they will do?? 9/11 and all that. so, in a way Islamic terrorism is the Quran burners fault.

P.S Quran is spell "Quran," not Quran.

1. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Great stuff! smile

19. profile image49
    feyselposted 13 years ago

im planning to burn the the bible,after all its just a book!,how do u christians feel about it.i mean for me its a fiction...........i know u wanna kill me.............

1. Flightkeeper profile image68
      Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why should any Christian want to kill you, we're not extremist Muslims.  What's more important are the words.  Books can be reprinted.

20. profile image0
    darknight444posted 12 years ago

ohh you re speaking aboute israel
    muslims are againste israel not againste judaisme
    and thy burn the flag because it s the representation of e nation that murder and kill muslims and took there land ,no matter what is ther religion ,
    you will find no muslim burn the torah or the gospel

but burn the holy coran if you wont it youre choise and you will be held  responsible but what ever happens to you blame only youre self

burn it if you wont but you have only youre self to blame

21. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

"Burning the Koran"

They can only burn the Quran written on paper it has been printed on; the Quran written in the memory and hearts of the Muslims would still exist; no harm could be done to it.

1. profile image52
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this
  22. Mathew James profile image78
    Mathew Jamesposted 12 years ago

Allah shall deal with the person who burns the Qur'an according to Allah's desire on them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)