Journalism Assignment

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I'm working on a 1500 word assignment for Journalism. My topic is:

Discuss whether defamation laws and press freedom are compatible

Anyone have feedback or ideas on this to get me started? smile

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you are reporting "negative" facts which can be documented and backed up (especially with multiple sources)it cannot be defamation.
      Freedom of the press is not license to publish anything that one hears or surmises. It requires integrity and careful consideration-- especially when dealing with  stories that may harm someone's reputation or business.
      Defamation laws are important to protect individuals and freedom of press is important to protect society.

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the feedback. I think I've gone with the side of "Defamation laws are compatible with press freedom" now to tell my teacher why. big_smile Eurgh I hate assignments. I'd rather write a 1500 word hub!

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
          Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know whacha mean.

I know a lot of sleazy tabloid publications would not necessarily agree with your premise-- but 'the press' can have no credibility if it doe not adhere to basic principles of integrity.

The more garbage that gets published in the guise of 'journalism', the more people will distrust any written news or commentary. "The Press" will have no value to be a societal watchdog if it loses total credibility.

1. profile image0
            china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bit late in my opinion.

When we debated this they made me take the position against 'freedom' of speech in the media.  It was a position remarkably easy to defend even though I didn't agree in my heart.  Rochelles citing of 'sleazy tabloids' illustrates, I have the same opinion of the christian tabloids such as the catholic herald.

When we look at what is commonly in the media it cries out for something to be done; in my opinion the place to start would be to attack (or resist) the b@llsh@t and lies first. The focus should be on proveability where the proof must exist before words can be published, this would require fact, opinion and speculation to be publicly labelled I think ?

2. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Two things I'd also mention - there is the idea of protecting your sources.  (can't remember how it goes, but I believe you have the right to protect your sources, is it)  But, just because your source (say an opposing congressman)  says the congressman is an a$$hole does that mean you should report it?  Even if there's supporting evidence?  It's my opinion that the attitude should be reported, but not the word.

I guess my second goes with the first.  I'm a firm believe of:  You don't have to just because you can.  So, just because, as a reporter, you have the right to report who Paris Hilton went to bed with last night, does that mean you have to?  I mean, honestly, whose business is it anyway?  Or, let's think about whether or not Brett Favre is ever going to retire.  Should it be reported as factual (that he will retire, again, this year just because a source says it's true?  Or, should the reporters go directly to Favre for the answers before running a story on his ever changing mind? 

Just my thoughts......hmm

2. dutchman1951 profile image59
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

here is a link for you

http://www.eff.org/issues/bloggers/lega … defamation

complete on-line articles on the exact subject

hope it helps

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Thank you. Getting there... slowly.

3. FranyaBlue profile image74
    FranyaBlueposted 13 years ago

Hi WryLit

I just wrote an essay on this last week.

I took the opinion that it is not compatible because of things like the chilling effect, also, there is no risk to any claimant wishing to strike up a case against the journalist/editor because in this case the journalist is guilty until they can prove themselves innocent and don't forget 'no win no fee' the claimant wouldn't even lose money for trying. Also, many big companies are known to always take people to court and they are just too big to go up against.

If you need more, I would be happy to send you the lecture slides on it.

Good luck.

4. profile image0
    BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years ago

Wry- I see the problem that the press are only interested in readership so they press,press,press to the limit. So called stars court this for there own ends and publicity but every so often one of the stars shouts out defamation. Its a double edged sword and some people get what they deserve.

You could use the analogy that google likes fresh content to keep your hubs going, its just like the news really, except some journalists try "cramming" the headlines and when this happens the only recourse is to shout defamation.

5. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

Defamation laws can supress freedom of the press because many small media outlets can't afford the litigation, whether they win or lose.  You aren't always awarded costs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)