Clinton slams Quran burning

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (61 posts)
  1. pisean282311 profile image61
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

US diplomatic chief Hillary Clinton welcomed late on Tuesday condemnation in the United States of a Florida pastor's plans to burn hundreds of Qurans on the anniversary of 9/11.

'I am heartened by the clear, unequivocal condemnation of this disrespectful act that has come from American religious leaders from all faiths... as well as secular US leaders and opinion makers,' Mrs. Clinton said as she hosted an iftar meal at the State Department to celebrate the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

Mrs. Clinton's spokesman Philip Crowley earlier denounced Florida pastor Terry Jones's plans to mark Saturday's ninth anniversary of the September 11 attacks by burning Qurans as 'provocative' and 'un-American.' 'We would like to see more Americans stand up and say that this is inconsistent with our American values,' he added.

'The potential act of burning a Quran... is contrary to our values, contrary to how civil society has emerged in the country.' The small Florida church's planned open-air burning ceremony triggered a wave of concern and condemnation from military leaders that the incendiary move could spark outrage around the Islamic world and endanger the lives of US soldiers.

1. lady_love158 profile image61
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Where was her condemnation of this? Where was the Muslim's condemnation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piss_Christ

Or where was the condemnation of the phony liberal progressives when this piece of "art" went on display?

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/offices/comm/c … donna.html

How was the National Endowment for The Arts treated after this? They were awarded MORE taxpayer money!

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
        dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

this is a discrace. They used endowment monies for this?

hmmm.....

2. AdsenseStrategies profile image62
        AdsenseStrategiesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Two wrongs don't make a right.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Does anybody remember if dear Hillary condemned the guy who threw the shoes at Bush??

At any rate, I don't care if Hillary and Obama both slam the book-burnin' guy.   He has as much right to do it as Obama had the "right" to SLAM evangelical Christians and SLAM my generation's parents who actually taught decent values to their children (ya know, those "old, worn-out ideas), and to further MOCK the Bible like he has.   And MORE right than he's had to appoint some of the creepy people he's appointed into office and especially into our school system.

Hillary should take Obama and both of 'em MOVE to one of those Muslim Nations that they keep defending so much at the expense of American's honor and sovreignty.

1. skyfire profile image81
        skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree about equal rights. But what will be your reaction if bible gets burnt instead.

I'm of opinion that this whole hoopla is over-rated.Why bother about burning any book? burn bible,quran, text-books.Who cares?I didn't paid for the books.

1. profile image0

If the Bible gets burned in another Country, then it would just be one more clue of how anti-American they are.
          If the Bible gets burned here in America, it's a sign that the burner is anti-Christian,  and unpatriotic, and should (in my view) be fined or prosecuted UNLESS it's on his private property.  Same with the flag.  I think it used to be illegal to burn a flag (unless it's to give it a proper "demise" if it's torn and too tattered?).   But now even that, I reckon, is covered under the new liberal definition of "freedom of speech" or "pursuit of happiness" or some such nonsensical interpretation.

1. wildorangeflower profile image61
            wildorangeflowerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are an amusing character Mam! The bible is owned by Americans???

1. profile image0

No,  they could be also anti-Ireland or anti-England or anti-Whatever-Nation-is-also-a-Christian-one.
              The U.S.A. just happens to be the usual focus of anti-Christian sentiment, as I'm sure you know.

1. Greek One profile image63
                Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In a nation where church and state are supposed to be separated, what makes a nation a Christian one?

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
                  Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"In a nation where church and state are supposed to be separated, what makes a nation a Christian one?"

The majority of the citizens who have claimed to be Christian.

Just because the State does not impose a certain religion on us doesn't mean we cant have a religion.

oh.. so if the majority agree on something, the minority doesn't have rights.. or the ability to live peace and without harassment from the masses? 

That sounds like a recipe for that heavily armed revolution you've been anticipating and stock piling weapons for

smile

2. wildorangeflower profile image61
                wildorangeflowerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Majority of Americans are not like some who think that they are the center of the universe. Most Americans I know (myself included) are tolerant people and these things are happening all over the world in less publicized manner.

3. Ron Montgomery profile image59
                Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...anti-carp

2. Shadesbreath profile image77
            Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are just totally and unfathomably amazing to me. Your world view is just a half step from totally terrifying.  I can only hope that reason, kindness and intelligence prevail in the tumultuous times at hand. I really don't want to leap back eight hundred years and have to redo all of the same stupidity the West presumably learned from already.  Imagine how much worse the Inquisition could have been with modern weaponry... or, I suppose you would fancy it would have gone much better. 

"The Christian resolve to find the world evil and ugly, has made the world evil and ugly."
            -Nietzsche

Nietzsche was insane.

"I am God"

Charles Manson

Carries the same weight with me.

1. Shadesbreath profile image77

If Charles Manson said, "Fish need water to breathe," it wouldn't make it any less true.

Very profound.

But he didn't say that he said he was God.

1. Shadesbreath profile image77

You entirely missed the point of my remark.  Completely and totally.

2. Jewels profile image82
              Jewelsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Shadesbreath - I totally agree with what you said here.  It's terrifying on so many levels.

3. Elpaso profile image60
              Elpasoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree some people would be quite happy with leading a crusade to kill as many people as possible, belief or behavior not a issue! Kill everybody! and let Gowd sort it out later.

3. skyfire profile image81
            skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So human rights are non-sensical? No wonder you hate it one side and demand at another.

Why it's anti-american? Bible wasn't written by any american author. More than 90% islamics are anti-american anyway. Last terrorist attack 26/11 shows that muslims hate british & american people. So why it's anti-american if they burn it in any other country?

3. bidmiks profile image58
      bidmiksposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Democrats in America think that the policy pacifism will make the Islamic world love Americans. That is the greatest deceit of all time. If you Americans will come to know and experience first-hand, what living with in the same country with Islam is like, you will burn the whole Qurans in the world. In the part of the world I live in (Northern Nigeria), men, women, children are lynched and houses and churches burnt every other day, at no provocation at all by those Islamic militants. And no body questions them. Mrs Cliton and President Obama continue to pacify them! They don't need your peace dialogue. They hate you anyhow, they hate your freedom! And want Americans and Westerners dead. They want you to be afraid of them and that  is whats happening now. Do you know how many bibles, men, women and children are being burnt every day in other parts of the world for not believing in Quran?

4. bidmiks profile image58
      bidmiksposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is the American President and the Secy of States now afraid of what a-Qaeda and other Islamic fundamentals will do? You don't need to provoke them by the burning of the Quran before they hate & kill Americans and Westerners. All you need to do to provoke them is to just be AN AMERICAN.

pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well they know something more than what you and I know..because their post gives them access to information which we dont have..afghan war is at crucial junction..usa is planning to withdraw...before that it wants to make sure that afghan government is well placed to govern..now they wont want to rock the boat and cause unnecessary trouble..

2. yoshi97 profile image56
        yoshi97posted 13 years agoin reply to this

What you speak of is Islamic radicals, which are definitely on the menu to be carpet bombed. However, true practitioners of Muslim don't do these things.

We can't seem to separate the fact that not all Muslims act this way, because only the radicals ones are ever seen in the news. Let's face it ... Muslims acting peaceful just isn't newsworthy or interesting, no more so than peaceful Jews or Christians.

Radical elements have taken over whole countries, as in Afghanistan and Iraq, but the people we are freeing from tyranny are Muslims too, and they appreciate our assistance more than you will ever know.

People don't choose to be oppressed ... they are oppressed because they are weakened too much to make a stand, and this is how radicals take over From there, the radical movement grows from those who are tired of being oppressed and give in to become oppressors themselves

By removing the radicals, you allow the true Muslims to emerge .. and I still maintain that they are a peaceful people.

Imagine how America would be if Christian Militias took over and started converting people in a neo-nazi movement to rid America of all non-Christians.

Can't happen here? Right! that's because we would never allow radicals to reach a strength where they could infiltrate and take over our military. Sadly, this has already occurred in other countries, which is why we find ourselves tearing down these regimes to free the people who are forced to live in them

Kuwait and Egypt are Muslim countries that are actively seeking to remove radicals (with our help) and while they have a ways to go, they have done well at diluting the vinegar that has set for far too long in the Middle East.

Match aggression with aggression .. but only to those who freely choose to be aggressive. The blood of the innocent can't be taken in vengeance, as they are as much victimized (if not more) that we are.

Trust me ... If you live in a country run by radicals, you *don't* speak out against the government, lest your family be slaim before your eyes. This is how radical elements remain in power - through fear.

There are no bad countries and no bad people .. just some bad people ruling with a lot of power.

2. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I heard Bill Clinton slammed a waitress on the weekend

let me guess...her answer was.....

and i supose you want fries with this!

no, it was "Shouldn't I lower your fly for this"

wounder what kind of Tip she got?  lol

2. Daniel Carter profile image61
          Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, actually it was, "Shouldn't you have a cigar for this?"

2. IntimatEvolution profile image67
      IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OMG!!!  That's just too darn funny.lollollol

Sorry- just don't get it.

3. richtwf profile image61
    richtwfposted 13 years ago

Foolish people ranting and raving about burning books. I personally think whatever you do - do it on your own conscience and do it if you really want to, but without drawing attention.

You have a right to do what you like, provided you don't break the law, and that your actions won't consequently endanger the lives of others.

I wish people would think, really think, before they spout out words which might endanger the lives of others.

4. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 13 years ago

Bill Clinton is a traitor and should be hung as such. He sold us out to China. Why do think they have the capability to put a nuke in Chicago now. Hang em high!

Who cares what that looser has to say.

And Hillary at the State Dept, home of the commies and progressives, betraying America for their own gains and Marxist dreams.

We need a whole bunch of rope to clean out that nest of traitorous vipers.

And I damn sure don't get Liberal and Progressive Feminists in this country.... teaching their daughters that a rapist pig like Clinton is a great man to be admired.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
      Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

not fire?

2. Daniel Carter profile image61
      Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But what's so admirable of the vitriol about Clinton? Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?

3. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why don't you sue him then?

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

the only people I've heard of that don't have a problem with it are a few people on this forum. 

even Palin opposes it and calls it religious intolerance.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pailin opposed it? She must have switched again. smile

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do have to say when I saw the clip of her late afternoon tweet, it didn't sound like the SP we usually hear..

whatever gains support, I suppose. if she meant it, good for her.

6. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 13 years ago

Political posturing aside ... the whole idea of burning the Koran on 911 just doesn't make sense.

It's being portrayed as a retribution to what Al Queda did to us on 911, as well as to the Muslims who cheered on their actions. As I was alive and with my wits that day, I also remember how many Muslims *denounced* those actions, and stated loudly that they disapproved.

Mob mentality never stops to differentiate between the innocent and the guilty. What of all those Muslims who sided with us on 911? Do you think they'll feel happy for doing so after we burn the Koran?

We have this whim for punishing all for the actions of some, and that's terrible justice.

Consider this ... Joseph Stalin killed hundreds of thousands for not sharing in his idealistic beliefs. For thinking differently, they died, and burning a book is nothing more than a symbolic murder when you realize how much the Koran means to Muslims.

We Americans find it difficult to understand why the burning of a holy book could have an effect on a populace, but that's because out view of religion is that it comes secondary to our own wants and desires, whereas for a Muslim, religion comes first.

True Islam does not preach anger or war, but how would we know differently, given the actions of radical Muslims. Still, we must see through the veil being pulled over our eyes and realize that Islam is not our enemy, nor are Muslims. Our true enemy is a group of people who pretend to be true Muslims, while their own actions defy their faith.

It's the radicals we need to give a message to - not the Muslim religion - and if we would stop long enough to consider that, then just maybe the Muslim faith would offer to help us remove the radicals themselves.

Why should any Muslim extend his hand to help us when we place them all in the same pot? It would be no different than calling Christians womanizers because some Christian sect decided polygamy was acceptable.

For all of the Catholic priests who have abused young boys, will we hold a Bible burning the next day? Surely, these children suffered no less than those of 911. While they might remain alive, they live with the anguish every day of what was done to them. And yet, no one strikes out in vengeance at the Catholic church. And they shouldn't, so long as the faith teaches these things to be wrong and the actions aren't committed by all.

Horrible acts occur all around us, and we should all be enraged that they occur. However, holding a whole religion accountable for the sins of the few is not the way to resolve this.

The radicals want us to hate the Muslims as it furthers their cause. By showing American hatred for Muslims worldwide, we make it easy for impressionable young men to abandon their true faith and join an organization sworn to hate all those who are said to strike out at Muslims.

A far better retaliation would be to invest heavily in Muslim communities that abhor the violence dealt to us on 911. In doing so, we could show the Muslim faith that we appreciate those who stood beside us, and that we can tell the difference between terrorists and truly religious people.

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image62
      AdsenseStrategiesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...it's also an insult to those Muslims KILLED in the World Trade Center offices

Yes, well said adsense. smile

Great post yoshi97. smile

2. profile image51

A very wise and rational post

With some points of the post; I start a new thread.

7. profile image57
    foreignpressposted 13 years ago

This has been said before but it's worth repeating: There's no law about burning the American flag, a Bible, or even the American Constitution. Likewise, there's no law re: burning the Koran.
       However, this issue is about subjugation and domination by the Muslims. In this country people have certain rights to include the burning of religious objects. But nobody should be threatened with death over it. The Muslims have forced entire countries (notably France) to kneel to Muslim dictates under the guise of diversity. Sharia law is legally used in Great Britain.
       Will the American people be the next forced converts to Islam? There's no question heads will roll before this is settled. Now, which side do you choose -- for there is no middle ground.

1. yoshi97 profile image56
      yoshi97posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I choose the side of reason, where Muslims can be Muslims, Christians can be Christians, atheists can be atheists, and agnostics can be agnostics.

This country was founded on religious freedom for all - and with religious freedom comes recognition that there are those who can believe differently, and those expressed beliefs should never be forced on another.

Muslim radicals took a swipe at us, and for that they should be hunted down, but radical Muslims do not represent all that is Muslim, no more than whales represent all that swim in the seas.

I stand firmly behind anyone who wishes to rid the Earth of a radical element that seeks to murder others, but I stand against those who would paint a whole religion as radical without learning that this just isn't their way.

Plainly said ... radical Muslims are not Muslims - anymore that child molesting priests are devote Catholics. We can't label the many for the sins of the few.

As for Muslims taking over ... No laws have been enforced on any nation that mandates a person must act according to Muslim laws, except for in those countries that have chosen Muslim as their primary religion.

Muslims don't want to take over any more than Christians or Jews do. They have a religious view and they want to be heard. They also want to convert people to their beliefs. However, there is nothing written that states 'All must become Muslim - or die'.

Extremism works both ways, and believing that Muslims are conquering the world is an act of radicalism in and of itself. Yes, it's a religion with many followers, but we forget one thing ... all those who practice Islam have chosen that path ... and we are all free to choose a path of our own liking.

And no, I'm not a Muslim (in case you were wondering). I'm an American, and I belong to a country founded upon the principle of religious freedom for all. My forefathers handed that heritage down to me in the Constitution, and as an American it is my duty to defend that cause to the end.

Radicalism is not a religion ... it's a cannibalism of beliefs. That's why I don't see radicals as deserving of the same religious freedom.

"Radicalism is not a religion ... it's a cannibalism of beliefs"...nicely put

2. profile image51

I agree with you.

Where did you get this widom from, man?

3. profile image51

Didn't Quran pronounce this through Muhammad:

[109:1] In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful.
        [109:2] Say, ‘O ye disbelievers!
        [109:3] ‘I worship not that which you worship;
        [109:4] ‘Nor worship you what I worship.
        [109:5] ‘And I am not going to worship that which you worship;
        [109:6] ‘Nor will you worship what I worship.
        [109:7] ‘For you your religion, and for me my religion.’

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … php?ch=109

While being steadfast himself to the truth of his belief; he conceded others free right to believe whatever faith they liked to.

Thanks

8. rebekahELLE profile image85

radical fanatics are insane.

this man has a past of extreme religious views. he's probably going to keep riding on all the publicity and sales of his book that some other fanatics will purchase.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/2010 … &tc=pg 

the thing is, a faction of Christians do want to take over.

9. Jewels profile image82
    Jewelsposted 13 years ago

Thank God, this fool has seen the light and is not going through with it.

Hi Jewels! smile
      I was relieved to hear the news this morning.
      His stupid pride was on display in the half truth he told about why he decided to change his decision, lying about an agreement he does not have.

1. Jewels profile image82
        Jewelsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

His 'following' is 50.  50!  I don't really think he understood what he was doing.  I'm thinking he will have a whooping headache for a good while.  Most of the world came down on him so hard.  He can't help but feel the effects of that. smile

10. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 13 years ago

As water flows through all seas, so does life flow through all things living. It is not a right of ours to determine if the seas should flow, no more than it is to determine the path life should follow.

But when we see the waters lower from drought, we conserve it, as it is precious. As we should do the same with life ... as it is precious as well.

One need not be religious to understand peace and harmony among men, but it's also true that a man who doesn't understand these simple concepts can't consciously consider himself to be religious.

And the man who denies religion yet lives a good life is no less sacred than any other. In fact, he might be more so, as he can see the path for himself.

**You won't find these verses in any book, though I think it's one of those things we should find. Who knows, maybe someone out there will make a nice wall hanging out of it. smile

11. rebekahELLE profile image85

yoshi, those are beautiful thoughts. I think those that come from within us are the most meaningful.

12. profile image52
    alessandrahettingposted 13 years ago

Clinton stabs anyone and then steps on their body to get where she wants to get. She has no soul.
    At least obama has her in a box so she can't do much harm.

Xtreme NO

13. profile image0
    cosetteposted 13 years ago

i don't know why the President and the Secy of State are both making official comments re: this. i think it just puffs up that guy's ego and makes him think 'ooh wow i have all this power'. not to mention attention. so some crackpot wants to burn the Quran - are they going to come out and make official statements re: every nutcase out there? why this one?

bcoz they dont want americans in countries like afghanistan , iraq and pakistan to pay price of this nutcase's action...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)