Trash from the inaugural on the Capitol Mall

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (25 posts)
  1. SparklingJewel profile image67
    SparklingJewelposted 15 years ago

Estimates are that 130 tons of garbage  were left by the  Obama crowd.

HMMMM??? what stinks here?

1. Teresa McGurk profile image59
      Teresa McGurkposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Estimates are that eight years' worth of bad policy writing were left in the White House. . .

. . . and you're worried about the paper coffee cups a bunch of freezing people left in the trash cans in DC?

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Amen.

2. Paraglider profile image88
      Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

What an opportunity! (Where there's muck there's brass, as they say in Yorkshire).

2. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 15 years ago

Republicans seem to take their talking-point marching orders from Rush Limbaugh and Matt Drudge.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

You have 2 million people, you are going to have garbage.

4. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

MAN, I wonder how many cell phones, watches, rings, wallets, necklaces, etc... were lost!

I'm with Paraglider, where are my galoshes, let's go spelunking through the garbage!

5. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

Spelunk, spelunk...

(nice word!)

6. SparklingJewel profile image67
    SparklingJewelposted 15 years ago

my point was that those who act the most concerned about the environment...aren't.

I say yes, some thoughts about the right are correct from the left's view...can you not do the same?

Is there no shame in an obvious show of lack of concern for the environment and self responsibility?

Geez, how hard would it have been to pick up after oneself? seriously folks.

1. Teresa McGurk profile image59
      Teresa McGurkposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Seriously, Sparkles, this is all you can find to talk about?  Would you like someone to say that the behavior of the crowd at Obama's inauguration was shocking?  They rioted, protested the arrival of the president-elect, had to be arrested for disruptive behavior -- oh, no, wait: that happened during Bush's swearing in, not Obama's. . .

1. SparklingJewel profile image67
        SparklingJewelposted 15 years agoin reply to this

And  it happened at this one too! bad mouthing the outgoing president...more signs of immaturity and lack of self responsibility.
        So, anyway, I find substance in this line of discussion...self responsibility...if more Americans had it, more of it, the country would not be in the mess it is in. Instead of blame games and diversions from the points of importance, more Americans need to desire to acquire self responsibility and caring about the environment.
        I can raise my hand as one needing to take more self responsible actions and actions that show caring more about the environment...how about you all? big_smile

If more people raised their hands and took more actions like picking up after themselves... that would be real mature growth and CHANGE! big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

2. gamergirl profile image84
      gamergirlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

SJ, you know I think you're sweet, but please look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrTiR-CowAA

Yes, there was a LOT of littering.  Put millions of people in an area for a day and you'll see trash.  It'll happen alot, especially if the trash cans overflow every five minutes.  Anyway, watch the vid.  A whole lot of people stuck around and - without being affiliated with the inauguration at all - helped clean up.

I don't know if you've ever worked concerts, state fairs, flea markets, etc.. but people generate a LOT of trash.  Not everyone cares about the environment, and a lot of people take for granted the fact that if they don't clean up after themselves, someone's probably going to get paid to clean up after them anyway.

This is NOT just an American problem.

It's a problem with humanity - we're getting pretty lazy.

So please, don't imply that it's solely Americans who are trashy and can't take care of themselves.  That Youtube video I linked above shows it can be and was done.

7. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 15 years ago

First, not everyone on the left cares about the environment. Yuppies toting their eco-friendly water bottles is just one small segment. Most everyone else generates trash when they drink and eat.

Second, trash accumulates and overflows. Having been to more than one street festival/parade where attendance far exceeded expectations and capacity, trash tends to get piled up and around receptacles.

It does seem like an odd thing to point out, though. Maybe you live in a rural area. It might be messier, but cities are far more efficient when it comes to energy and pollution than rural areas, though.

8. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Also, I sincerely doubt that every one there was left-leaning or a Democrat. There are actually people out there who want to be part of history and can put aside their differences for one day.

9. Uninvited Writer profile image79

I know everyone should pick up after themselves. I agree that people have to start taking responsibility for this. But, where ever you have a large crowd garbage will be left behind. It doesn't matter if it's a concert, an inauguration, an outdoor service by the Pope, etc.

10. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

"So please, don't imply that it's solely Americans"
    Think she was implying that it was solely democrats.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

This is the obvious conclusion you come to when you have reached Christ consciousness striving and become one with the wherewithal that is what makes you unique and one with the godhead as you take every opinion into consideration and listen to all sides of the equation and are open to all possibilities.

Right wing, christian, republican, family values are the best and need to be enacted as laws at a local level - and they don't litter. big_smile

1. BDazzler profile image78
        BDazzlerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Wow ... and all this time I thought you just didn't get it! big_smile

lol I get it just fine................ lol

11. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

I walk in a much used park. It is fairly clean but there is a bit of litter here and there, which I sometimes pick up. It is all very middle class there, but no one picks up litter except me and park maintenance. The only thing I can come up with is that it is beneath their dignity, and they
    would rather walk in trash than be associated with maintenance.

You should see the trash in the UK. We have run out of landfills and it costs you more to throw your rubbish out than the fine for dumping it on the side of the road.

And still we buy over-packaged crap. sad

We are all stupid.

12. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 15 years ago

This is like one of those annoying little signs that someone always has to pin up in every break room that says something like, "CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELVES YOUR MOTHER DOESN'T WORK HERE."

God I hate those.

Watch for the new inspirational book from the same author entitled "Do Sweat the Small Stuff!"

Coming soon to a Barnes and Noble near you.

Now put that latte cup in the trash, you liberal scum! (your mother doesn't work here) big_smile

13. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Oops...I guess me putting up a sign that says "Clean up after yourself, it's the mermaid's day off" would bother you smile

http://www.femailcreations.com/itm_img/122621.jpg

14. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 15 years ago

I guess it depends where you plan to put the sign. smile

15. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

Does anyone know if any of the 2 million people happened to drop a fibre-board back panel of a 1930's Philco People's Set wireless? It's a shot in the dark, but I'm on the look out for one...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)