Racial profiling?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)
  1. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Tell me if this is an example of racial profiling:

I'm white, obviously, and so are my three daughters. One night my youngest daughter and her white friend were on their way home to our house when they were pulled over by the cops for no reason. We lived in BFE at the time, so the girls had cut through the "bad" section of town to get to the interstate. This part of town is comprised of blacks and Hispanics.

When the girls were stopped, three other cop cars immediately joined the first. My daughter phoned me from her cell, and I asked to speak to one of the officers. They refused to talk to me. They also refused to give me or the girls a reason as to why they were stopped. The cops shone a flashlight around the car but didn't search them. They asked the girls what they were doing in that part of town. Don't you have a right to drive anaywhere you want?

The next day at school, I mentioned this to my students. The same thing had happened to several of the whites who had been in that part of town taking black or Hispanic pals home after a basketball or football game. The cops thought the only reason whites would be in the "bad" neighborhood was to buy drugs.

So is this reversed racial profiling??

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this
      1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Kimbo! the reason I called the neighborhood "bad" is because there is so much crime there. Also, I've heard it from my students who lived there. Several years ago, I was teaching night school and had a student in my class who lived in that neighborhood. He walked home every night after class, and it was in the dead of winter. I felt bad for him, so I decided to start taking him home every night. The first night I did, he begged me to let him out at the "border" of the neighborhood. He feared for my safety! I wasn't afraid, however, and insisted on dropping him off at his door. I never encountered any probs, either.

1. profile image0
          kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am glad, but you are very lucky.  The cops never body searched you even with a minor?  Proof of your kindness and it's outcome proves the reverse of your question, meaning Even more proof of no racial profiling.

I believe when we saw such obvious strangers on our streets, it wasn't their colour, just prey, it's so not cool.

I have so much respect for you and love you but totally hate your score today

kiss

racist teacher!  lol

2. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

It doesn't strike me as "racial profiling".  I think it was "drug profiling" or even "higher-numbers of people profiling".  If the neighborhoods are "bad" neighborhoods, I'm guessing drug dealing is a big thing there.  Usually, no matter what kind of neighborhood you live in, people are told "If you see anything unusual....".   Maybe the police just noticed the increased cars and "saw something unusual".   If it was more obvious that the kids didn't look like most of the people who live in that neighborhood, I'd think that would suggest "visitors". 

Maybe, too, if the police knew there had been an event that night, they were just looking for kids who may have alcohol (or drugs) in the cars.

In my town (suburban, predominantly, white) I've had police stop when I've been walking at dusk or at night.  They'll ask if I'm OK.  Once one of them said I shouldn't be walking out at night.  He said, "It isn't safe.  I wouldn't walk, and I carry a gun."  Well, it isn't guarantee safe; but my biggest concerns when out walking at night are usually mainly running into raccoons or skunks.  I know there's crime everywhere, but my point is that police sometimes can just ask people what's going on to make sure they get a reading on anything "funny".

I didn't see at not being allowed to walk when and where I want - only that it isn't usual to see a woman walking at night in my town, and that the police were just checking out something that wasn't usual.  Maybe, too, they wanted to make sure the girls were OK.

I almost think it isn't what race the "locals" tend to be.  It's probably that the neighborhood isn't great.  I'd assume if teens (of any color) were in some neighborhood where mostly elderly people live, they may be stopped too.

3. mikelong profile image62
    mikelongposted 13 years ago

I would say that the first aspect of "profiling" that I see in Habee's statement is towards the "black and hispanic" areas of town as being "bad"....

So, there isn't drug dealing or use in the "white" areas? There isn't crime there?

Secondly, this demonstrates how economics works to continue segregation....

Third, the fact that Habee pointed out that those with minorities in the cars with them were especially targeted shows that ethnic association still is a major thread in our society....

When will we get passed this nonsense...

1. habee profile image93

Right! It's like the only reason middle-class whites would be in such a neighborhood is to buy drugs. Heaven forbid these white kids actually have black or Hispanic friends!

4. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 13 years ago

I'd agree that it's more "checking out something unusual." However, I don't know how the laws read where you are, but here you can't just be pulled over for no reason. When I was a teenager that meant that I -- and a lot of my friends -- got pulled over for really stupid things. One of my friends got pulled over because her turn signal was the wrong color (yellow and supposed to be amber)...we both worked the closing shift, both minors, and she took me home close to midnight. I was about the only white person in my apartment building, everyone else was Mexican, and we were teenagers out late so I'm sure he just wanted to make sure we weren't drinking or anything. He also pulled her over right after she dropped me off, so he probably wanted to make sure I wasn't coming right back outside with any illegal goods purchased there (there had been a meth bust there not long before, so I guess that was a reasonable assumption).

I doubt there's really much that can be done about it since the police have never hassled us (in your daughter's case, it sounds like that might be questionable) and I suppose I'd much rather they're actually watching. Just recently there was a shooting here in a guy's home, his wife had really bad eyesight and he died quickly afterward so they had no idea who did it. The police pulled over three teenagers (ages 14-19), probably in a similar check to the ones they used to do with me and my friends, and the kids were acting extremely strange. The officer talked to them until one broke and said the murder weapon was in the trunk...the officer said he didn't expect that at all, he just knew they were acting funny and decided to talk to them for a bit.

5. elayne001 profile image77
    elayne001posted 13 years ago

I believe there is racism and profiling going on all the time - it is part of being human - and very hard to overcome - here is an experience I wrote about I had here in Hawaii.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Blatant-Racism- … arking-Lot

when I lived in Tonga for thirteen years, I was often the only blond blue-eyed girl in a large group and felt how it was to be the minority - but I love the Polynesian people - I married one and my children are biracial. We just have to overcome our prejudices and not see everything in colors - however difficult it is. You should see my two blonde blue eyed little granddaughters with their Tongan grandfather - we have had quite some interesting comments and looks. Pretty sad.

1. habee profile image93

Bet those kids are gorgeous!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)