EHOW money making vs Hubpages--My Experiences/Observations

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Missing Link profile image69
    Missing Linkposted 13 years ago

I got in on EHOW towards the very end just a few months before it imploded.  I was making decent money right away----MUCH more than what I make per adsense per hubpages, etc.  However, I disliked a number of other things about EHOW. When EHOW imploded there were a number of other things about that time that were disturbing--things EHOW did, the way they did a number of things, etc. that upset many people.

Overall I like Hubpages quite a bit better even though the money is not nearly as good. Looking back at EHOW something shady must have been going on per earnings---why was I making so much more there...as were many others?  I looked into the Demand Studios thing awhile back but they already had enough writers at the time and didn't seem to be interested in adding new ones.  In other words I was rejected even though I have a BA, etc., etc.

Was anybody else a casualty of the EHOW implosion?  What was up with the money being so good?

Thanks!

2. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

LOL! eHow didn't "implode" as you suggest. As I explained in another thread, eHow was and still is owned by Demand Studios/Demand Media. While you guys were writing RevShare articles, there were thousands of writers behind the scenes writing directly for Demand and receiving upfront payment.

The "implosion" that you talk about was simply Demand exercising their right to change the way they did business on that site, ie pay upfront fees only for articles written by their own freelance writers and edited by their own editors. Quite frankly, IMHO, there was too much poorly written garbage up there on eHow, and I believe that's why they changed their model.

There was nothing "shady" about the high pay--that's simply how they do business. I write quite a lot for them. 400 to 500 words on titles that I choose nets me $25--sometimes more. They have professional editors reviewing every single article (3 to 5 years verifiable editing experience), who ensure that total garbage doesn't make the cut.

I get paid twice per week LIKE CLOCKWORK directly into my PayPal account. They have an editorial team there to help when there are issues, and writer enrichment programs to make us better writers.

They're far from perfect, but are the best of what's out there right now.

Missing Linkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ok.  Though they may have kept out a lot of "garbage" per certain writers I also believe they rejected many excellent ones.  Do you know why?

Why don't you move your hubs to Demand since they pay alot more? This is a sincere question and not a smarty pants one smile

I've moved on per their rejection of me.  I was somewhat perplexed though as I graduated with honors from college, have been in the military, have worked for government agencies in three states where I had to write extensively, etc.  ??  I submitted a resume, writing samples...

Thanks!

1. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not having seen any of the applicants, no. I don't know why. I've also seen many non-eHow people apply who are professional journalists, etc. that have gotten turned down. 

I can't, and even if I could, I wouldn't. First off, I don't create the titles or the format over there, so it's not a simple matter of just moving the content. And their TOS requires that we write unique content. I wouldn't ever mess around with that. Even if I took my hubs down, the cached versions would still be around, who knows who copied the whole hub or parts of it, etc. It's too good a gig to mess with.

But most importantly, I write here, at Demand, I have my own blogs, write occasionally for a few other sites and do work for private clients. When it comes to the Internet, no one should ever have all of their eggs in one basket.

Besides, I make pretty good dough here at HP with my hubs. smile

I'll message you.

1. netlexis profile image63
          netlexisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Diversity is extremely important. Like Irohner, I write all over, including my own sites and Demand Studios. If there's anything the eHow episode has taught me is that Internet content businesses can change on a dime. My motto, besides diversifying, is never be never assume things will stay the same and always keep my eyes and ears open for change.

1. lrohner profile image68
            lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So, so true!

2. JulieBMack profile image62
            JulieBMackposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep, I agree!!  I also have my OWN blog which they will never take away because it is mine--- MUAAAHHH!  However, I also earn no money there.  smile

3. brettb profile image59
    brettbposted 13 years ago

Demand Studios are making a stack of cash from being in the right place at the right time. They were profiled in The Sunday Times a few weeks ago. They are sucking traditional publishing companies dry with their business model.

People don't always write for the best paying sites. Think of all the suckers slugging away on InfoBarrel. They love that place, but they weren't very happy when I told them they could be making 3-4x as much cash if they moved to HubPages!

I experimented a bit with infobarrel as some were speaking highly of it and it's potential.  However, I got very few visits to my articles there.  I get MANY more visits to my hubs here on HP.

2. jpwriter profile image61
      jpwriterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, I'm one of those "suckers" slugging away on InfoBarrel.  You're right, I do LOVE it.  The thing is that IB is newer than HP or eHow, so its page rank is lower -- for now. 

I view InfoBarrel as the most honest rev share site around and THAT pays off.  Hub isn't better, it's just ranked higher.  I think diversifying content is the best thing to do.

I wrote for eHow.  All of us who wrote there were lazy because we could be.  No one had to try to rank or really learn keyword research/SEO techniques.  People come to IB and complain cause they don't earn, but they are not using the right techniques.  We help in the forum.

@MissingLink - the deal w/the high pay is that eHow likely had a combination payment method.  It could be just Adsense income, but I think it's more than straight ad revenue perhaps including views, # of backlinks, etc.  Just a guess.

eHow was full of crap though and used very deceptive practices along their journey to closing the WCP.  I left my articles there are make good $$ each month.

MissingLink - didn't you get auto approval for eHow when they closed the WCP?  If you had a certain 80% approval rate at eHow you were accepted for Demand.  That's how I got accepted for DS.  I want to write for Livestrong but don't have an MA degree and a BA, 2 AAs, lots of experience isn't enough.

No i did not get accepted to Demand.  That entire episode caught me by surprise.  I was new to EHOW and a bit of a cheerleader and then one day many of my articles were missing. Shortly thereafter I found out about the huge changes, etc, etc.  Had I known all of that was going to happen perhaps I would have been more careful with some of my articles i.e. length, quality, etc.  EHOW kept much of my stuff but i was so turned off I removed all of it.  I was making good money there though.  I may try to get back in with Demand in the future.  I wish I had gotten involved with EHOW much sooner as I would have made lots of money.  I got involved like 3-4 months before all the drama.  I worked so hard per EHOW and was a cheerleader and than afterwards felt like a fool.  Thanks for your input!  Sorry late to respond but I just discovered some of these recent forum entries.

3. cosmopinkice profile image61
      cosmopinkiceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am also one of those suckers too-- however,

If you average my earnings between ehow and infobarrel per article, per month -- The earnings were falling about the same up until the past couple of months. Now I earn more at infobarrel.

The difference is, you have articles that earn and some that don't. You can't put one or two articles and expect immediate earnings. You have to know what you are doing, unlike how ehow was when you could just slap up anything.

4. JulieBMack profile image62
    JulieBMackposted 13 years ago

I began writing for eHow long before they were even editing articles (2008).  I had a bunch of ideas for How-to's and then simply got tired of that format.  In the time I wrote for them, I had no idea about keywords.  I did learn and continued to write for them. Then, they starting getting more particular about content (which was a GOOD thing!).  Eventually, I no longer felt like writing how-to's.  Then they moved strictly to DS and I have not really wrote for them much.

As far as earnings, I earn a lot ore from eHOw - BUT I have more articles, they have been in Search engines longer.  So, it is hard to say really.  So far I have not earned squat here - but I have less than 25 articles and have only been here for about 2 months...

eHow is a nice little passive income for a site I no longer write for - don't know ho long that will last! smile

5. johnshade profile image60
    johnshadeposted 13 years ago

infobarrel is a new site in the long run its going to have better earnigns because the rev share is more generous

6. profile image0
    BenjaminBposted 13 years ago

I never tried writing on ehow before or even signing up,but thanks for the conversation pointing out infobarrel as I am always wanting to learn new sites to use for creating more links to my hubs which I feel are boosted well by having links coming from as many unique places as possible.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)