Christians and Catholics

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (55 posts)
  1. G Miah profile image78
    G Miahposted 13 years ago

What is the differenece between Christianity, Catholics and Roman Catholics? I've always wanted to know. Are they different religions or are they the same religion but different practicalities like Sunni and Shi'at in Islam?

1. profile image58
      exorterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

one of the main things I hear about the Catholics and other Christian churches is the baptizm. The sprinkling of water instead of dunking the person under water. 
      other Christians do not salute Mary, or pray to her.
      there are other differences but there are some differences in all churches.
      one of the nicest Christian I've known was a Catholic.

We are the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
      Off hand I do not remember just where that is

2. profile image50
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You should have put this question to the Protestants or JWs or Mormons; the consider Catholics as heretics. There are 32000 + denominations of the Christians and I think they are sometimes described as different religions; each one considers themselves as the Only-True-Christians and describe the others as heretics.

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree completely with your comment. smile

1. mythbuster profile image72
          mythbusterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow - has this ever happened before??

You two agreeing?

smile

Yes, but as I recall it was only one other occasion. smile

1. mythbuster profile image72
              mythbusterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's still awesome to my way of thinking lol thx for clarifying

2. dutchman1951 profile image60
          dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

quick some-one take Earnest's temperature!     smile

I did more than that! I hooked myself up for blood pressure, did several meditations and cut my hair. smile

2. profile image58

per - paarsurrey -There are 32000 + denominations of the Christians and I think they are sometimes described as different religions; each one considers themselves as the Only-True-Christians and describe the others as heretics.

all churches do not feel that way, In the church I go to your taught that if you do not have something good yo say about some one, then do not say anything.

3. profile image0
        brotheryochananposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No there is not 32,000 denominations of christians.
        Since most of the denominations go like this example here:
        # Armenian Catholic Church
        # Belarusian Greek Catholic Church
        # Bulgarian Catholic Church
        # Chaldean Catholic Church
        # Coptic Catholic Church
        # Croatian Greek Catholic Church
        # Ethiopian Catholic Church
        # Georgian Catholic Church
        # Greek Catholic Church
        # Hungarian Greek Catholic Church
        # Italo-Albanian Catholic Church

These are all catholic churches not separate denominations.

and the orthodox churches are listed the same way:
        # Bulgarian Orthodox Church
        # Georgian Orthodox and Apostolic Church
        # Cypriot Orthodox Church
        # Church of Greece
        # Albanian Orthodox Church
        # Polish Orthodox Church
        # Orthodox Autocephalous Church of Albania
        # Czech and Slovak Orthodox Church

These are all the same denomination, just named by their country

and the anglicans are listed the same way:
        # Anglican Church in Central America
        # Anglican Church of Australia
        # Anglican Church of Burundi
        # Anglican Church of Canada
        # Anglican Church of Kenya
        # Anglican Church of Korea
        # Anglican Church of Mexico
        # Anglican Church of Papua New Guinea
        # Anglican Church of Southern Africa
        # Anglican Church of Tanzania
        # Anglican Church of the Southern Cone of America
        # Anglican Episcopal Church of Brazi

These are all anglican churches not seperate denominations.

There are other similar breakdowns:
            * Polynesia
            * Anglican Church in Central America
            * Anglican Church of Australia
            * Anglican Church of Burundi
            * Anglican Church of Canada
            * Anglican Church of Kenya
            * Anglican Church of Korea
            * Anglican Church of Mexico
            * Anglican Church of Papua New Guinea
            * Anglican Church of Southern Africa
            * Anglican Church of Tanzania
            * Anglican Church of the Southern Cone of America
            * Anglican Episcopal Church of Brazil
            * Church in the Province of the West Indies
            * Church in Wales
            * Church of England
            * Church of Ireland
            * Church of Nigeria
            * Church of Uganda

* Church of the Province of Central Africa
            * Church of the Province of Melanesia
            * Church of the Province of Myanmar
            * Church of the Province of Rwanda
            * Church of the Province of South East Asia
            * Church of the Province of the Indian Ocean
            * Church of the Province of West Africa

these are churches in their province perhaps the same denomination, i would think so.

Get over this 32,000 denominations garbage

1. profile image0
          china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are right in some ways - perhaps par should have said 'brands' ?

1. profile image0
            brotheryochananposted 13 years agoin reply to this

flavors lol

these are all the same denominations. There are 23 denominations that are main. In this age of newness where gods word is being revealed, again, stripping off another layer (knowledge is increasing) offshoot churches for lack of a better tag are being formed as many people don't want to be associated with the older denominations. That is fine and the way it should be, but to infer christendom is so scattered as to have 32,000 denominations is rather absurd as anyone who bothered to look further can see but bible haters would rather purport a falsity than a truth so long as their belief is supported. There have been others who tried the same statement and i jumped on those also.
            Then also, catholics, 7 day adventists, mormons and others, which are in the list are not christian and cannot be included this knocks the number down considerably.
            Basically to be a christian you have to be saved as per the scriptural pattern on the name of jesus christ and believe that he rose from the dead, admit your a sinner, ask forgiveness and invite Him into your life to guide it according to his purposes.

1. Beelzedad profile image58
              Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are more than 38,000 denominations, all of them have stated they are a separate denomination. Clearly, you are quite wrong.

Yet, there are many Christians who would disagree with you, more than 38,000 different ones. LOL! smile

2. Beelzedad profile image58

That is correct, there are reportedly 38,000 denominations of Christianity who have declared themselves a separate denomination from the rest. smile

4. Dave Mathews profile image60
        Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A Christian is one who believes in God a Triune God, and believes that Jesus is the son of God who volunteered to be crucified for the remission of the sins of man, and that Jesus was resurrected back to life thus removing spiritual death and separation from Almighty God the Father. Any person who confesses their sinfulness to God, repents of their sin and accepts Jesus as their redeemer and saviour and is baptized becomes born again in Jesus and is instantly forgiven all their sinfulness and cleansed so that Almighty Father God then ses them as justified and acknowledges them as a child of God and a brother or sister to Jesus. Spiritually they will go to heaven when their earthly body dies.

1. profile image58

Triune God
          Father, Son and Holy Spirit
          check the Word of God
          Mary was overshadowed by the Holy Spirit and became with child, that sounds like the Holy Spirit is the Father

3. Christene profile image60
      Christeneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Catholic and Roman Catholic are the same thing.
      Catholics are Christians.

4. jreuter profile image80
      jreuterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

G Miah, if you really want the answer to such a question, I suggest you look elsewhere than a Hubpages forum,  but if you want generally uninformed debate and opinionated blather, you've come to the right place.

5. alternate poet profile image67
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The answer is simple.  Christianity pretty much started with Catholicism - in the time of the Roman Empire, there were two schools - one followed the eastern empire, the other the western.  As the Roman Empire started to collapse religion was used as the means to travel to and from other countries safely and so keep trade going.  The same happened with Buddhism that kept the Silk route going in Asia.

Following the Renaisance people started to question the dogma of Catholicism and so the Protestants began in Holland (I think) and soon spread throughout Europe. King Henry used the conflict between the two religions to make Britain Protestant and allow him to take all the Catholic church money and property, not such a small deal when you consider the church owned all the good stuff and land.

Then Protestants started to break up into thousands of different sects.  The issue that started it was whether the consecrated 'host' was actually the body of Christ, a hair splitting exercise on the face of it but deeply significant to how 'literal' these things are and how 'metaphorical'.

The things that divide the Protestants are more based on personal preferences and cultural differences - in my opinion.

1. aguasilver profile image70
        aguasilverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good reply, thank you.

2. Don W profile image83
        Don Wposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In it's limited usage Roman Catholic refers to the western church which alternate poet mentions (latin rite) but not the eastern church. There are differences is practices between the two. But in popular usage they mean the same thing.

3. profile image50
        fingerpointer6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes i agree i am a cathlic my self and us cathloics are very holy we belive in jesues and the bible i agree very well

2. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 13 years ago

I am not familisar with all the differences, but I do know Catholics pray to many different saints which most open Bible churches do not do.
    I suspect all the christian faiths believe much of the same, it is the practices that differ.

3. aguasilver profile image70
    aguasilverposted 13 years ago

God has hidden His 'church' amongst the 31,000 plus 'denominations' and done so for their security!

catholic (small 'c') means universal, Roman Catholic is a brand name like Baptists or Pentecostals.

God has true believers in ALL of them, but not all members of a 'Christian' denomination are actually true believers, in the sense that Christ dictated, i.e. not all obey His commands.

All the dross we have added to Christ's words will be burned off when we meet Christ in any case, and what remains, will determine what relationship we have kept with Him.

1 Corinthians 3:11-13 (Amplified Bible)

For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is [already] laid, which is Jesus Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One).

But if anyone builds upon the Foundation, whether it be with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,

The work of each [one] will become [plainly, openly] known (shown for what it is); for the day [of Christ] will disclose and declare it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test and critically appraise the character and worth of the work each person has done.

1. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is my belief that your post explains the concept and purpose of the Beast and False prophet as described in Rev. 13 and the two witnesses that God sent to prophesy upon the Earth.

Both for the same length of time.

People SOMETIMES  say that a day = a year in prophesy  and THEN; when it is necessary for their "interpretation" , A day is just A day ????   It can not be both!

That is a major stumbling block.

4. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

"God has hidden His 'church' amongst the 31,000 plus 'denominations' and done so for their security!"

How long a bow are you prepared to draw in believing this myth again? lol lol lol

He hid it?????
    He, the omniscient had to hide it? lol lol lol

This would make a great comedy!
    Oh that's right! It has!
    lol lol lol

1. aguasilver profile image70
      aguasilverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nonsensical reply again Earnest.

From the beginning of time God has kept a remnant hidden.

Genesis 45:7 (Amplified Bible)

God sent me before you to preserve for you a posterity and to continue a remnant on the earth, to save your lives by a great escape and save for you many survivors.

Jeremiah 23:3-4 (King James Version)

And I will gather the remnant of my flock out of all countries whither I have driven them, and will bring them again to their folds; and they shall be fruitful and increase.

And I will set up shepherds over them which shall feed them: and they shall fear no more, nor be dismayed, neither shall they be lacking, saith the LORD.

Romans 11:4-6 (Amplified Bible)

But what is God's reply to him? I have kept for Myself seven thousand men who have not bowed the knee to Baal! [I Kings 19:18.]

So too at the present time there is a remnant (a small believing minority), selected (chosen) by grace (by God's unmerited favor and graciousness).

But if it is by grace (His unmerited favor and graciousness), it is no longer conditioned on works or anything men have done. Otherwise, grace would no longer be grace [it would be meaningless].

I'm beginning to wonder if you paid attention during your two years bible study...

2. dutchman1951 profile image60

Hay Earnest… Imagine 31000 hidden..? In Genesis?

and all this time every Biblical scholar has been teaching it was God revealing himself to Joseph and his Brothers in Egypt,  who were truly sorry for their sins. I believe they even mention that it was to show Gods devine forgiveness for those truly sorry. That he ws Implying he would also do it for Israel. That he cleared the room down to only the truly sorry folks, and nothing was hidden?????????  Just Joseph and his brothers...selectivism???... hmmm.....

don't ya just love Sunday school... you can take 1 whole compound sentence, make up a whole lesson about what God said, with literary license of course- and then paint it red for official doctrine!!!

man the stuff Jesus supposedly said???????

Bring your GPS  Boys,  we going to need it- cause this place has got it all over the outback!!!!!!!!   

Gas up the Rover Boys- Jesus is just down the road a bit!!!!!!

Hey...Did I not  just not pass a sign that said “Please don’t throw Jesus over this fence?”

Oh-wait that was A Rabbit…yea now I got it!    wink
      Dam Sunday school had it wrong again!

3. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ha ha.  More like christians not only fight with other beliefs, but they fight within - hence the most fragmented religion in history

5. earnestshub profile image81

http://www.edkrebs.com/herb/petoons26/3444.jpg

6. earnestshub profile image81

http://www.edkrebs.com/herb/petoons27/BoothEaster.jpg

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

7. earnestshub profile image81

Here is a recent photo. smile

http://www.edkrebs.com/herb/petoons40/bogeyman.jpg

1. dutchman1951 profile image60

good one,....he he he

Homer Simpson improved on the script, but I can't recall the name of the episode just now. smile
        Morning... need caffeine! smile

no, this is perfect....lmao

8. earnestshub profile image81

http://www.edkrebs.com/herb/blessed.jpg

this picture looks spooky...

Not very photogenic the current man-god. smile

1. alternate poet profile image67
          alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The devil is in the detail big_smile

Yep. like the miniature dead guy on a stick is a bit of a give-away too! smile

1. cceerpp profile image57
              cceerppposted 13 years agoin reply to this

@earnestshub Bigotry leads to nowhere. Do not speak unless you can improve on the silence. This is just nothing but unpopular noise making.

2. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He looks like Hannibal! SCARY!!!

2. earnestshub profile image81

If I do not return to the pulpit this weekend, millions of people will go to hell.
      -- Jimmy Swaggart

3. cceerpp profile image57
      cceerppposted 13 years ago

I have dealt with these issue quite extensively. You can kindly check out my hubpage on that. Thanks.

St. Cyril of Jerusalem: "And if you ever are visiting in cities, do not inquire simply where the house of the Lord is--for the others, sects of the impious, attempt to call their dens 'houses of the Lord'--nor ask merely where the Church is, but where is the Catholic Church. For this is the name peculiar to this holy Church, the Mother of us all, which is the Spouse of our Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God" (Catechetical Lectures 18:26 [A.D. 350])

4. pylos26 profile image70
      pylos26posted 13 years ago

wonder where the dude got his shinner?

5. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

A 'Christian' religion is generally those religious groups/churches/ etc which accept the divinity of Jesus.  The are of course other religions that included Jesus in their faith in some form, but these have not historically or generally, been termed as being of the 'Christian' faith.

The Roman Catholic religion, under the leadership of the Pope, is one of these many groups which believes in the divinity of Jesus.  It is of course one of the largest and histrionic groups.

What's interesting, other than the fact that the Leafs won't make the playoffs, is that the RC does not consider themselves a denomination of Christianity because they believe theirs is the one true doctrine above all others. The irony is hilarious. smile

1. Greek One profile image63
          Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Leafs WILL make the playoffs... just not sure when.. such is the mystery of faith.

Many groups consider themselves the only  'true' doctrine of course, but objectively speaking without any comment as to which is more right or wrong, they are one of the 'Christian' faiths as the term has generally been understood.

(Plus, everyone KNOWS the truth keeper of the faith is the Greek Orthodox Church :p)

I couldn't agree with you more, so much was stolen from the Greeks and taken as their own.

you will note that the colors of the Greek flag are blue and white...

which match exactly those of God's hockey team

The resemblance is striking, but like most of Greek history, it's all just myth. smile

no compulsion to believe in either religion

smile

6. 2uesday profile image65
      2uesdayposted 13 years ago

Once upon a time England had Catholicism as a faith, the head of the church was the pope. Then the then King of England wanted to divorce his wife and remarry and the pope refused to agree.

The King then made himself head of the Church of England, what followed was the destruction of many monasteries and that forms part of our history. Not sure any on wants to know that but that is how we started to have a different type of faith as the main one in the England. I think (not sure)to this day the monarch is not allowed to be a Catholic or to marry a Catholic.

That is the limit of my knowledge on the subject, so it is not much use questioning me on it, sorry.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)