Why am I not making any $ from adsense?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (42 posts)
  1. profile image0
    scrampyposted 13 years ago

I've got the adsense pub id on my account settings.

I've installed tracking and am getting traffic to my hubs.

It's been receiving traffic for months now but I've not seen a single click associated with the hubpages adsense domain tracking.

Am I making money but don't have it configured to be able to see it? (I don't think this is the case)

Or have I done something else incorrectly and I'm not receiving the revinue from the ads?

Someone please help?

Thanks!

2. saleheensblog profile image61
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

you need search engine traffic who may click on your ads.

1. profile image0
      scrampyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is traffic visiting my hubs.  I know this because I have google analytics tracking for my hubs (installed as per the instructions on hubpages)

1. saleheensblog profile image61
        saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you need spontaneous clicks by those traffics, only traffic won't help if they don't click on the ads

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's actually not true. You can get earnings from no clicks. I have hubs that do it all the time. You're paid for impressions also.

1. saleheensblog profile image61
            saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ohhhh thnx for the reminder, i read it earlier but I forget these things as i don't have practical ideas

You're not paid well for impressions. That's what sucks. wink

1. profile image0

How does someone set up pay for impressions on hubpages?

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

What do you mean you've installed tracking?

What are you tracking?

1. profile image0

I am tracking visits to my hubs using google analytics.  This is a setting in the account settings on hubpages.com

How much of your traffic is actually coming from search engines?

Example: mine is presently around 71%

1. profile image0

the traffic from search engines is 89.88%

That's what I'm saying... I get good organic traffic, but seemingly no conversions. 

There MUST be something else wrong.  with 30-50 visits per day to my hubs, someone must have clicked an ad in the last 6 months. 

*sigh*

1. Susana S profile image94
            Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you use adsense channels to see your clicks on HP? If you're using analytics, HP has to be set as your primary domain to see adsense data. It could be that you are getting clicks but you have no way of knowing at the moment.

Or it could be an issue with your adsense/HP set up. I would remove the adsense ID here and start the process again, making sure you give permission to link the accounts.

You don't need to set up anything special to get pay for impressions, it's part of adsense. But the earnings are so minimal its really not worth worrying about!

1. profile image0

Thanks for your reply Susana,

Ah, adsense impressions.  I thought it was impressions paid through something else.  Yes, they are very low paying so nothing I'm concerned about.

I'm going to set up dedicated analytics for it to double check, but I've been getting results for ages now so I figure the tracking seems to be working.

I will also set up the adsense again, double checking the process as I go and re-start the channel to track the earnings.  I figure that if I've made a mistake somewhere it's likely that's where it'll be found.

Much appreciated!

4. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Might it have to do with Hubber score?  If a Hubber's overall score is under 75, doesn't that mean a major effect on outside traffic?  (In other words, pretty much none from searches?)   With only 20 Hubs in quite a stretch of times, I can see, too, how so little activity may not help either.

I was going to get to that next Lisa. lol

1. profile image0

I receive between 30-50 organic visits per day to hubpages. 

I have another 50+ websites which get a fraction of this traffic and earn money.

Why does hubpages not generate ANY income... I mean not one red cent!

I figure there has to be something wrong. 

Maybe I don't fit the criteria?

But based on my experience with adsense there's got to have been some clicks on those ads.  Why have I not generated any $ from it?

Maybe I've made an error in the setup of the adsense code?

I'm sure I've followed the instructions.

1. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How are your Hub topics inducing people to buy things?  How are the ads drawn to those Hubs meeting a need that your reading audience wants to fill?

Why would anyone buy something off a Hub that is talking about sales leads?  Or which talks about muscle building?  Think about the answers to those questions and you should be able to figure out what you need to do to monetize your Hubs.

1. profile image0

I'm humble enough to consider I could improve my work, but I don't believe the quality of my hubs is the cause of my adsense problem.

Please write your "whatever" somewhere else. sad

1. lrohner profile image69
              lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not exactly a "humble" comment from someone who professes to be. roll

Remember that HubPages gets 40% of the impressions, so you should not expect to see the same type of return that you might on other privately held sites.

1. alqx profile image58
                alqxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The point is, he's not getting any commissions at all, rather than reduced commissions.

It is highly improbable that a steady flow of traffic for six months would generate zero clicks.

1. profile image0

Thank you!

2. profile image0

I receive zero return from hubpages Irohner.  I made that clear.

60% of nothing is still nothing.

Even posting total crap will occasionally earn a click or 2 on adsense... especially as I published the majority of my hubs almost 12 months ago, AND they receive regular traffic. 

I am humble because I am asking for help, and because I know my hubs are not perfect.  I did not expect to be told so often that my content was not up to scratch when the issue I face is obviously a technical/setup problem.

I guess some people only feel self worth when they see themselves as better than others.   

Regarding content: I find it hard to consider taking advice from someone who's profile states that they write about just "whatever" in their hubs.  (relache)

1. relache profile image72
                  relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My "whatever" (which happens to include some high traffic topics) earns enough money that HubPages pays my monthly rent and most of my living expenses.  You may think that my advice was talking down to you, but if you think you can just throw any sort of content up on the web without considering or adjusting it to serve your readers needs or your own (which in this case is earnings), then you shouldn't act surprised when the writing doesn't function the way you wish.

2. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe that the drop below 75 means that all your hubs become "no follow".  So if you're using them to backlink to stuff (whether it's your other sites or to other hubs), then they lose most of their, ahem, "link juice". 

However, if you've written a hub about sky blue pink dongles and someone types the term _sky blue pink dongles_ into Google, there's no reason why your hub can't be top of the first page no matter how low your actual author score is.

Note to HP experts out there: please correct me if I'm wrong!

3. thisisoli profile image70
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A drop below 75 doesn't affect hubber score, it only changes your outbound links to nofollow.  This basically means that websites you link to no longer get any benefit from your site.  However it has little affect on your traffic or earnings on that particular hub.

1. Research Analyst profile image72
        Research Analystposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's good to know!

2. thisisoli profile image70
        thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oops, a drop below 75 doesn't affect traffic performance or earnings*

5. Susana S profile image94
    Susana Sposted 13 years ago

You're welcome smile Let us know when you get it sorted.

1. profile image0

To continue the discussion...

I've checked, and confirmed that the hubpages affiliate settings are correct for my account.

I've followed the instructions to set up the "linking" of hubpages to my adsense account.  The "affiliate code" did not change so I believe my account's been set up correctly all the time.

The affiliate code is in the format: ca-pub-******************** (where * = numbers)

It's interesting how on my adsense account it says my affiliate code without the "ca-" in front.  I wonder why...

Does anyone know what the "ca-" means?

I've thought about this for ages and it's just not worth my while publishing on hubpages if I cannot get commissions from adsense.  But I've heard it's a great way to do it, it's just I cannot seem to get it to work!

I continue to believe that with the number of visitors I'm not getting clicks.  If so, then hubpages is not nearly as good as I've heard. 

Any other ideas?  Is there a direct way of getting a hubpages rep to check it out for me?

Thanks for all your help!

You should be able to see by now (or at least within 24 hours) if adsense is recording page impressions from your hubs. Click "top channels" in your adsense reports overview and the page impressions should be there. If it is recording impressions then it should all be set up fine. I find it's worth adding each hub as a url channel to see exactly where earnings are coming from.

P.S. I use adsense for content with hubpages, I don't think adsense for domains is correct?

1. profile image0

Thanks Susana S,

Yes, I am receiving impressions now through adsense.

It is adsense for content.  I am using url tracking through adsense setup to determine if the impressions/clicks are from hubpages or somewhere else.

It is now working and I will continue to monitor how much I make through this method now. 

In the end it was something simple... I kinda knew it would be!

Ok cool, glad you got it sorted and hopefully you'll see some clicks now!

6. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

each prefix relates to the adsense method it belongs to

adsense for content, adsense for feeds, adsense for domains etc.

ca - is the content network

1. profile image0

Thanks sunforged... didn't know that!

7. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Have you added HubPages to your list of sites that are allowed to have you publisher id on them in Adsense setup?

1. profile image0

I have added hubpages.com into my adsense chanels through adsense setup.

It was not there so I think this may be the solution.

Thank you CMHypno smile

I believe I may have been earning from hubpages but not seeing the clicks because I did not have hubpages.com in the adsense chanel tracking (for domains). 

The good thing is that I will have been paid for these clicks, I just couldn't see where they've come from.

Good suggestion!

8. dilshanh profile image66
    dilshanhposted 13 years ago

Relache's comment seems to be more sensible in your case

1. profile image0

I disagree.

9. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Relache's comment may indeed be pertinent to some extent.  Scrampy, it did not say the hub was sub-standard, the comment was that the subject matter may not promote ads the reader is interested in buying.

I found some of the ads on your hubs to be pertinent, but only some.  Others (Direct TV on a sales lead ad) give the reader nothing to look at that they came to see.  You must consider why the reader is there, and what they want.  If it is not to buy something, then they won't check out an ad for anything.

I also suggest that you read up on optimizing your hubs for Adsense.  The layout needs changed, with more text capsules and perhaps a photo or two, for better adsense placement of ads.  While some of the ads are well placed, many are not placed well at all for optimal click through.  Adsense ads clear at the bottom of a hub may never be seen at all; they need moved up via more text capsules.

That does not however, explain no clicks at all.  I would have thought that you would get at least something over the months.

1. profile image0

Thank you wilderness (and Relache), I will be tracking my progress over the coming months to determine what changes need to be made. 

It was simply impossible to make any adjustments to content or layout without some statistics to measure the effects of the changes.

Scrampy

10. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

And your status should say "Active".

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)