Baby's first bad habit

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (24 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

My ten and a half month old daughter has learnt something I was dreading - how to say no!

She can't say the word yet but from watching Mummy and Daddy shake their heads every time she's naughty, she's learnt that means no. So she's doing it back to us - anytime she doesn't like something!

What was your child's first bad habit that they picked up from you?

1. Polly C profile image90
      Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Believe me, the 'No' gets worse and more frequent!!

I can't think what bad habits my children have picked up from me, though I'm sure there are plenty - but I do have a 2 year old that mutters 'for god's sake' every time things don't go his way - he picked it up from his 10 year old brother (who also thought he would teach him to box tonight!)

WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hahaha 'for god's sake'. That's hilarious. Although probably not for you. smile

So who won the boxing match? tongue

He did (the little one), because he got his brother in a painful place so he ceased to see the funny side! We were not exactly encouraging of this toddler boxing lesson, so weren't very supportive when things went wrong smile

At least David beat Goliath this time. smile

2. alternate poet profile image66
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is not BAD habit it is the first step in the pursuit of freedom !

1. Aficionada profile image80
        Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow, AP.  I totally agree!

It's one sign of awareness of self as a separate entity, and it's actually pretty awesome and delightful.

One of my aunts used to love hearing the stories about how my first son would toddle away from us down the hall, then turn around and shout No at us for who-knows-what reason.  She called him Little No, with the strongest affection.

I know my children had/have bad habits, but it's hard for me to think of them that way.  Most of these traits are developmental milestones or phases.  With the exceptions of Waynet's stories, of course. Yuckkkkkkkk.

1. alternate poet profile image66
          alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for expanding it big_smile  I was too busy on my WASP thread to take the time myself big_smile

Waynet is the most disgusting hubber here !  I am beginning to get a real affection for him.  He is the (better) opposite of my first wife who went into a screaming 'dirty boy' fit when she investigated the giggling coming from our bathroom and found our 'just started talking son' and his year older sister exploring biology by watching him pooing in the bathwater!  I don't think he ever really recovered from that and similar devastating experiences - the getting screamed at, not the pooing!

3. purpleangel47 profile image62
      purpleangel47posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow ... still trying to think of the FIRST bad habits my daughters picked up from me - they are now 25, 24, and 21. But my grandbabies now, they don't tax my brain cells too much. smile
      Sometimes I forget one of them are underfoot until the curseword is out of my mouth then - Oops!
      Well, my granddaughter Angel, two at the time was sitting on the floor looking at one of her books while her Mom and I were talking. She was calmly turning the pages and happily chatting to herself. She had trouble turning a page but  kept trying a few times, then suddenly she yelled "dammit!" After we came back into the room and stopped laughing, we had our first - and thank goodness last - curseword talk. smile

2. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

My son's nearly ten years old now, but his first bad habit as a baby was raiding his nappy for some lovely turd balls, I caught him rolling it up into balls and eating the poop....he laughs when I tell him this, but it's true I say!

That is..ummm...a bit revolting? Can't say I've experienced that yet (and probably never will now) though there has been some occasion when he has decided to take his own nappy off at the worst possible moment...smile

1. waynet profile image68
        waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lol... yes that is what my daughter used to do in the shops and then throw the nappy at people passing by.....I can't remember how many times I had to apologize to people.

3. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

He learned all his bad habits from his father big_smile!

Exactly what I was going to say!

Maybe he had a bit of dung beetle genetics in him...

4. Mighty Mom profile image77

Waynet -- Did you say he learned the turd ball habit from YOU?

1. waynet profile image68

Funny you should mention that as I do remember being a bit of a baker back in the day and I specialized in cakes and sweets and I used to make chocolate truffles and I rolled them into balls and I'm sure my son saw me create these choco treats!

Just....he thought he found some in his nappy!

2. waynet profile image68

Doh!!! didn't read the question too clearly, now everyone will think I have a tasty turdy rolling habit....

Laughing so hard right now. *Gulps air*

5. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

I never said "no" to my babies, always redirected.

6. Mighty Mom profile image77

Oh no, we would never think that about you, Waynet.
    Still, I won't be partaking of any of your "baked" *wink* truffles all the same big_smile.

7. Mutiny92 profile image64
    Mutiny92posted 13 years ago

when my son was little, I was sitting on the bed with him and my wife.  I asked "where's mommy?"  and he looked at her and blew kisses.

My wife asked "where's daddy" - and I was expecting the same treatment.  Unfortunately, he looked straight at me and gave me the big "L" on his forehead with his fingers for "LOSER"...

He couldn't have been 18 months....

I guess he learned that one early!

1. wordscribe43 profile image91
      wordscribe43posted 13 years agoin reply to this

OH, my... that's PRICELESS!  lol

8. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I've told this story online in the past (so if, by any chance, anyone has already seen it, please overlook - but I think it's funny).    When my sons (at the time, 3 and 8) would be playing and get into a verbal squabble, my husband or I would call into the living room (or whatever other room they were in other than where we were), "Separate."  My thinking was they could either decide to end the squabble or else stop playing for awhile, until any hard feelings blew over.  Usually, because they had been happy to play together until the squabble, they'd decide the squabble wasn't worth ending the play and resume playing happily.

My daughter was somewhere between nine and eleven months or so), when I had her in the shopping cart, and she started to open one of the packages that I didn't want her to get into. I nicely took it from her hand, and she looked up at me and yelled, "Separate!"  (as clear as if a thirty-year-old had said, and with far more displeasure than her father or I had ever shown when we said it to her brothers). 

She had apparently learned that if someone isn't happy with what someone else does the thing to do is call, "Separate!"   smile  I never really knew when she figured out that "separate" (for us) was specifically related to our squabbling sons, but I still think a baby who yells, "separate", as her way of showing she's not happy is pretty funny (and impressive, if I do say so myself  lol  ).

9. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

Very cute story Lisa HW! 

It reminded me of a couple of incidences with my kids.

One is when my son was little and my mom kept him while I was at work.  They had an outside dog that often barked at things and my dad would holler at it to "shut up".  Kevin seemed to pick it up and used it a bit too often in other situations. My dad finally told him that he could only say "shut up" to the dog.   He caught Kevin saying it one time when he shouldn't and as he cut his eyes towards Kevin to scold him, Kevin quickly grabbed the back door and added, "dogs" to the end of his "shut up".  smile

The other time was when we had been teaching Michelle, my daughter that it was more polite to say "hush" than "shut up" or "be quiet".   My mother had called on Christmas morning when Michelle was 2 or 3 yrs old to ask Michelle what Santa had left for her.  I was video-taping and Michelle turned to me and said sternly "you be hush".   She obviousl wanted me to be quiet.  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)