World War II - A religious perspective.

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (42 posts)
  1. Rishy Rich profile image72
    Rishy Richposted 13 years ago

6 million Jews in a single war... So what was Yahweh thinking? I knw there are people who thinks that the Biblical God can be a pain in the ass. He punished the Egyptians like a sadistic demon before just because they preferred a different lifestyle..."Yeah either u vote for my Heaven, or I will burn u in Hell"...those were good old times for the Jews. You punch a Jew slave & Bam! God sends a Super Hero to kill you or punch u back. You kill another slave Jew & God sends ten plagues as revenge. You chase & trap them beside a river or a sea & there u go...God creates a brand new road in the middle of the sea.

So where was this Yahweh during WWII? & what was he thinking?

1. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are painting yourself into a corner with this. By hypothesising that the Yahweh of Abrahamic religion (perfect by definition) exists, you are rendering any actions (or lack of actions) that can be attributed to Yahweh, as perfect by definition.

In other words you can change the definition of 'Yahweh' to imperfect, or you can assert that Yahweh does not exist. But you can't say Yahweh exists and is imperfect. That's a contradiction in terms. It's the equivalent of saying: this perfect being is imperfect. Moreover if you change the definition, then you are no longer referring to the god of Abrahamic religions, rendering your question irrelevant to those religions. If you assert Yahweh does not exist, then you render your question meaningless.

Another issue is that your determination of the perfection/imperfection of any given action or lack of action, in the context of the entire history of the universe, is relative. To make an objective determination you would need to know every consequence and every outcome of every action of every moment of the past, present and future. In other words you would need to be omniscient. I think it's reasonable to tentatively suggest you are not omniscient and are therefore incapable of making an objective determination in this context. The most you can do is determine what actions or inactions appear to be perfect/imperfect from your point of view.

Therefore there is no argument here. Only an observation that: events in recent history don't appear from your point of view to be the result of perfect action or inaction. No more no less. That observation tells us exactly nothing about the truth or falsehood of the statement 'god is'. To imply otherwise you would need to turn a reasonable observation into a fallacious argument, which alas is exactly what you have done.

Rishy Richposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I will be as short as possible:

1. "Yahweh exists" is Jewish assumption not mine.
        2. "Yahweh is perfect" another Jewish assumption, not mine.
        3. Perfect/Imperfect should not be a major concern here as even a Perfect being may not involve itself in Human circumstances. My concern was the Actions of Yahweh not his state or condition.
        4. The argument is based on the Jewish assumptions & claims that how Yahweh interferes with Human environment when something wrong happens to His subjects (Jews).
        5. If u find it Fallacious argument then just dont waste ur time in this thread (unless u have an intention to hijack this thread).

1. Don W profile image82

1. Doesn't matter who's assumption it is. If you use it as the base of a hypothetical argument, your argument needs to be consistent with it.
          2. same as above

3. The 'Yahweh' of Abrahamic religions is also described as a personal god, i.e. involved in human affairs. That's one of the attributes that distinguishes the Yahweh of Abrahamic religion. Indeed you've adopted that assumption yourself for the sake of your argument. If you want to say no such being exists, fair enough. If you want to say a deity exists but does not have the attributes of the Abrahamic 'Yahweh', fair enough. But you can't hypothesise that Yahweh exists and is not involved in human affairs without changing the definition of 'Yahweh', 'involved', 'human' or 'affairs'. If you do, then by definition, you are not referring to Yahweh of the Abrahamic religions.

4. Exactly. As such you are hypothesising that those assumptions are true for the sake of argument. So your argument needs to be consistent with them. If it isn't all you've done is create an inconsistent argument, which demonstrates nothing relevant. 

5. By that logic people should not discuss anything they consider fallacious, and if they do their motivation must be to hijack the topic. That's self defeating. Clearly you find the concept of god fallacious, yet you are discussing the subject. Therefore (by your own reasoning) you are wasting your time and your motivation is to hijack the subject. If that's the case, then you have relegated your question to nothing more than a trolling exercise. If on the other hand your question has a serious intent, then what you've said is false and you and I are neither wasting our time nor hijacking anything.

I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with what you are trying to conclude, i.e. a deity doesn't exist. I'm merely pointing out that the argument you are employing does not conform to a basic evaluation of logic. If your argument is that god-belief is inconsistent, fair enough. But presenting that in an argument which is itself logically inconsistent is probably not the best way to go about it.

I have to disagree but you can continue with whatever you think.

1. Don W profile image82

You seem unable or unwilling to address the issues with your argument, so I won't persist in pointing them out.

And thank you for giving me permission to continue thinking what I want, but it's unnecessary. It's already recognised as a human right as laid out in the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights. This protects people's right to believe whatever the hell they want to believe and to express that belief, regardless of whether someone else thinks it's delusional, strange, unbelievable or just idiotic.

You'll also be glad to know it protects your right to think it appropriate to use the death of more than 6 million human beings to try to score some cheap points in the god/no god debate. What an amazing thing freedom of thought and belief is.

Its weird how you think there is no argument & still want me to argue with you. Im not sure whats wrong with u but I think u do need to work on your attitude bcoz when it feels like arse, looks like arse & smells like arse, it has to be an arse! But I have seen such idiotic nonsense attitudes before, so I wont mind.

I am not willing to address whatever issues u have mentioned earlier...not bcoz they are too brilliant to counter but because they are not worthy of addressing...but u can continue to think whatever u want...I can see u hav done PhD in Declaration of Human rights.

1. Don W profile image82

It's called a discussion and it's what a public web forum is for. Sometimes you may encounter someone who actually disagrees with your point of view. Sometimes they may even criticise your point of view. If you are not prepared to be disagreed with, or have your argument criticised, or if you don't want to discuss something, then why start a discussion about it in the first place? I find that weird to be perfectly honest.

Stranger still is the name calling. You start a discussion, someone disagrees with you, you are unwilling to discuss the subject itself, and instead respond with name calling. If I've insulted you, please point out. If not, then why throw insults?
                  If by any chance you realise I haven't insulted you, and if by any chance you realise my pointing out of the flaws in your argument was to help rather than attack you, then please ask yourself whether or not the defensive attitude you have adopted is actually warranted.

1. profile image51
                    paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think it is not a humane act to start name calling.

2. The Darkened One profile image61
                    The Darkened Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

@Don

It is true that people will disagree with each others point of view in certain topic & thats how an argument forms but what so far I have read from both of ur posts, you are not sticking to the topic. Rather answering the topic question you came up with your silly conclusion that there should not be such argument. I think your love for God is hit heard & this is why you are trying to conclude the argument is flawed.

2. The Darkened One profile image61
                The Darkened Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lolz...I apparently dont see any problem with the argument. Of course there are problamatic people who loves to create problems in every single case. A perfect God interferes & disturbs the balance of nature just to free his chosen people somehow vanishes after 4000 years & keeps his mouth shut while his chosen people were tortured to death in greater level by the nazis. This undoubtedly creates the question whether there were really any intervention from that God earlier..its as simple as that. Why is it so difficult to understand?

2. profile image0
            Rookie70posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are so articulate, and I love your intelligent responses. Mind if I copy and paste your argument for my personal use?

3. profile image0
            Rookie70posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow, I found another articulate debator.

2. profile image0
        WizardOfOzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That was very long-winded.  I will keep my curious question short.  Are you trying to say that an omniscient being, in seeing everything in the eternal context might consider  millions of followers dying just part of the deal!?

1. Don W profile image82

No. I don't think a theist would say it's 'part of the deal'. But I think a theist could easily argue that although we know an event is 'bad', it's impossible for us to objectively determine what the ultimate consequences of that event are in relation to the universe, if any (think the butterfly effect). In the context of the entire history of the universe we'd literally have to know everything to determine what the consequences of any given event are. For the theist god is omniscient so that's not a problem. But we obviously aren't. This is simply a modern, and more technical version of "god works in mysterious ways". But it's consistent with the assumptions of the Abrahamic religions, which the question in the opening post is not.

1. profile image0

You say a lot but you appear to fail.

You assume too much and you confuse personal assumptions to be logical assumptions.

Moving on,

you say, "No. I don't think a theist would say it's 'part of the deal'. But I think a theist could easily argue that although we know an event is 'bad'"

A theist is but a person who believes in God or gods.  My point should be illustrated here, to those who actually do know logic, as opposed to say, those who can spell the word. 

Don, I am a theist.  I do not see any logic in what you are saying.

1. Don W profile image82

I thought it was clear from my previous comments that I'm talking about the Abrahamic religions. If that's not clear, let me make it so.

If you subscribe to any of the Abrahamic religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam) the argument I suggested is consistent with the main assumptions they make about god, i.e. personal, only one, creator, involved in human affairs, omnimax. These assumptions are what distinguish the Abrahmic religions from other forms of theism such as deism or Hinduism etc. So if you are talking about a different form of theism, then obviously the above is not applicable. My point is about the form of theism represented by the Abrahamic religions. From the start that point has been that the implied argument in the OP is meaningless in relation to the Abrahamic religions, because it is not consistent with there assumptions. So it just sets up a straw man and then knocks it down.

The nature of the assumptions made in the Abrahamic religions are such that when taken as true you can't logically point to objective reality as a way of demonstrating inconsistency in them. As soon as someone assumes god exists and is omnimax (even for the sake of argument) they can always argue that your view of reality is too limited (relative to an omnimax being) to determine anything objectively about that beings interactions with humanity. In effect it makes your view of reality inferior by definition. This is exactly why the assumptions of the Abrahamic religions are so powerful.

The only way to counter this is to deny such a being exists altogether, or argue that god is different to that described in the Abrahamic religions. If you do the former, the question "where was this Yahweh during WWII?" is rendered meaningless. If you do the latter, then by definition you are not referring to the god of the Abrahamic religions. The god of deism, pantheism perhaps, but by definition not the god of Abraham, not Yahweh. As such the question is irrelevant to those who profess belief in Yahweh as described in the Abrahamic religions.

(some edits)

1. profile image51
                paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Creator-God Allah YHWH has created us human beings and keeps contact with us to develop our qualities positively and evolves them. His contact with the human beings is personal.

2. Don W profile image82

This is superfluous to your actual question so I've added it separately.

The reason for the above criticism is that if you're going to argue against the the god of Abrahamic religion, then it's pointless asking a hypothetical question in which the assumptions of the Abrahamic religions are taken as true for the sake of argument. Especially if your intention is to show the opposite. Because if your argument is then not consistent with those assumptions, you've simply created a straw man. You may knock that straw man down, but it's meaningless and doesn't challenge those assumptions whatsoever.

Better to simply reject the existence of a deity, or reject the assumptions about said deity and offer an argument for your rejections than to try this approach. The Abrahamic god as a concept is logically too strong and all encompassing for this to work. Arguments like the one presented in this thread can easily be countered by anyone who has a basic understanding of the core assumptions of the Abrahamic religions and a bit of logic. So to be successful, this argument depends on a lack of understanding. In my opinion an argument which relies on lack of understanding to be successful is a poor argument.

2. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Rishy, why are you stirring the cauldron again?! hmm

Im making some magic potion honey? want some? smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

have you read Night by Elie Wiesel? whatever you believe, it's a book everyone should read at least once.

Nope. I will take a look.

3. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Being enslaved by the Egyptians was "good old times" for the Jews?

Compared to Nazi concentration camp that really was 'good old times'.

2. I am DB Cooper profile image63
      I am DB Cooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Did anyone see that story yesterday that claimed archaeological evidence doesn't support the story that the Jews were ever enslaved in Egypt?

I am aware of that fact.

4. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Neither is what I'd call a "heyday" for the Jewish race.

May be...but again how many races had God to make them a road in the middle of the sea? How many races had a moses & a God who would send ten plagues to kill their enemies? Yeah, those were good old times whether u agree or not. Besides the recent archaeological findings suggest Egyptians built monuments & pyramids with architects rather than slaves. And unlike Biblical tortured slaves, they were highly paid & respected in the society.

1. Richieb799 profile image74
        Richieb799posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Of course they had architects, but who do you think chiselled the tonnes of limestone and dug deep into valley walls to built the temple of Abu Simbel...Slave workforce! they also only used basic hand tools for this too

2. profile image0

Architects draw plans not build pyramids.  Not taking sides here, just sayin, architects ain't builders.

Actually the Egyptian architects were different than todays architects & are comparable to builders as well. The mummies & remains of the builders/architects indicate that the builders of pyramids & most famous Egyptian monuments were Egyptians in origin... not Israelis neither from any other ethnicity.

The commodities, jeweleries & papyrus found in those buried chambers also suggest they were paid, well fed & taken care of by the Pharaoh.

Their belief system was different than ours. WHIPPING & KILLING wasnt necessary...THEY WERE ACTUALLY GLAD TO BUILD PYRAMIDS FOR THEIR PHARAOHS.

2. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mom: good gosh there is nothing "ethnic" about being a jew. Jew is a religion.
      The ignorance of some amazes me.

1. profile image0

haha, it amazes you?  I find that ignorance is one of the most common qualities!

5. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

The Jews have a right to love the Creator-God Allah YHWH and be loved by Him.

6. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

The Jews also have a right to love the Creator-God Allah YHWH and be loved by Him.

7. janni321 profile image57
    janni321posted 13 years ago

Lets assume that all the stories about jew during egypt time are true. In WW2 the Yahweh seems to be unhappy with jews like he left them alone on the face of earth. Why? Because Yahweh turns his favors to Christians and then Muslims

r u a Muslim?

1. janni321 profile image57
        janni321posted 13 years agoin reply to this

doesnt matter

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)