Politically correct or insulting?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (64 posts)
  1. purpleangel47 profile image60
    purpleangel47posted 13 years ago

When speaking of intellectually challenged individuals, how do you feel about these terms: mentally retarded; retarded and mental retardation?

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think intelluctually challenged has anything to do with real mental retardation or the mental disorders that now have specific names. I would rather use a specific name if needed to identify the disability, not the person. the person is not the disability/disorder.

to me when I hear the term intellectually challenged, I think of people who no longer think for themselves. people who don't really form their own opinions but follow the status quo or whatever so and so says..

1. alternate poet profile image67
        alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree - those christians huh !! ?

2. purpleangel47 profile image60
        purpleangel47posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Intellectually challenged; mentally challenged  broad terms I know. But I prefer them even though  many people think they just clean up the language.
        I have a huge problem with a person being called retarded - but I can understand why the term mental retardation is kept alive: it's singles out a particular issue and provides a focus for funding or other help that this group of people may need.

2. David 470 profile image82
      David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think it can be offensive to some extent. The plain word "retard" I would find most offensive though. I think mentally challenged is the best way to word it.

I like mentally challenged. But if I'm not mistaken, the DSM-IV classifies it as mental retardation and breaks it down by levels.

3. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you referring to the Tea Tards by any chance?

Moving on Ralph Deeds .....

4. profile image59
      logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Congress!

5. waynet profile image69
      waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Those are fairly descriptive and exactly explain whomever you are describing, but this then becomes a label, something to categorize and that to me is not really fair, whatever happened to everyone using their name instead of being labelled as whatever!

I hate politically correctness and all it stands for, especially when we should be free to think and say what we want!

My names Wayne, not ginger pubes!....breath.....and relax!!!!!

2. WuldUStilRemebrMe profile image61
    WuldUStilRemebrMeposted 13 years ago

Those are old terms.  I don't like them.  I say, challenged and when I want to be really clear I say, mentally challenged.

Challenged works for me ....

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Politically correct speech just creates weak people.

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
      schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes we don't need to 'diagnose' everything and everyone........

1. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

MM i need you, im scared of you like that  lol  It's going okay i hope!  ahhhhhh sorry looked at avatar again LMAO

change is hard, I'll get use to it one step at a time

purged tons in my last two 'challenged' hubs, issues arose but thrilled I am discussing this on a worldwide web with you

ha

ask me if I care

oh, business and fun always - will email you this year!  ok this week, girl cant catch up, but feeling powerful with MM to the rescue.  Bet you get to rescue tons of hot guys  big_smile

Kiss

ODAAT

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
          schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

may I ask who this is directed to? cool hmm

2. purpleangel47 profile image60

Politically correct doesn't create weak people  Cagsil - it gives a foundation of respect for people who may not be linked to "normal" genes. And I want to make it clear that I think the conceptt of normal is waaaaay overrated and probably non-existent.
      Now having said that, the problem in my opinion with worrying about politically correct terms is that while we may use the term, if we still treat the person as if they are a pimple on society's butt, what good are we doing?

4. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

Most of the 'old' terms get superceded because what they name is used in a denigrating way and so the word gets that negative connotation.  There is nothing intrinsically wrong with retarded except its use as an insult.  Same goes with black, homo, the short form of homosexual, even pleb the short form of plebian.

Challenged is vague and an almost irrelevant description that could be seen as actually insulting for someone who is different.  Most 'challenged' people are not challenging anything, they are happy to be left as they are in my experience.  Just to illustrate the problem.

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You know, sometimes I read your comments and I scream at my computer, "NOOOOOOOOOO, YOU ARE WAYYYY TOO INTELLIGENT TO BELIEVE THAT!"  And then I see comments like this and a few in the last few threads I've run accross your remarks in and I realize why I still respect you even though sometimes I think you miss it all. 

<cheers>

Er er er er - thanks    -   i think?

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
          Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, totally.  You rule dude.  Even when  you piss me off.  You are at least balanced.  SO, where we disagree, well, we do. But I can see you are at least exploring the same questions.

5. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

I haven't heard those terms used in public in years.
    "People with intellectual disabilities" is the terminology used by the Special Olympics. Seems like a good standard to me!

Do they mean religious fundamentalists ?

6. Mighty Mom profile image77

We have quite a few mentally challenged people in the forums (especially recently).
    Present company excepted, of course.

1. profile image0

there's always me and lots will tell so, for me big_smile

No Kim - You are a mental challenge,  not the same thing big_smile

1. profile image0

dang, sad

7. Mighty Mom profile image77

They do but they don't know it big_smile

8. WuldUStilRemebrMe profile image61
    WuldUStilRemebrMeposted 13 years ago

The best way to find out, would be to ask a person who has the disability.  Then you will find the answer.  Unless of course someone here speaks up and who happens to have the disability.

'they' are constantly speaking up in these forums, they are seriously intellectually challenged and they can be found spouting retarded right wing christian views constantly in the religious forums.

1. profile image0

but how do you really feel?

1. WuldUStilRemebrMe profile image61
          WuldUStilRemebrMeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

All I can add is, find the light, turn off the light, give me a light.  I need a smoke.

2. Friendlyword profile image60
        Friendlywordposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Here is an instance where you need specific labels. Mentally Challenged is not going to cut it here.

Retarded =  lack of brain developement

Brain Damaged  =  lack of mental ability due to brain injury.

Mental disease  =  Seeing and hearing dead people.

9. Mighty Mom profile image77

Kimmy! So lovely to see you!!!
    If anyone dare make disparaging remarks about you in ANY way you just send them to me and I'll smother them with my MM cape!!!

I agree, you can also direct them to me for a serous sarcasm scalding big_smile

10. mythbuster profile image72
    mythbusterposted 13 years ago

Hey Kimberly! *hugs*

11. Mighty Mom profile image77

It's been an exceptionally exhausting day here on the old HP forums, Kim. You know AP doesn't usually get perturbed, but today has even tried his patience!
    But you're here now, so let's have some fun!!!

1. profile image0

kewl, lets go

I feel a thread coming on......  cool

Hah !!  Wasn't the last one you started about everyone getting to bitch about everyone else - and when I played you buggered off and left me facing the wrath of the sith on my own !

1. BRANDONHEATHTART profile image61
          BRANDONHEATHTARTposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, a good for instance is saying that the world needs to learn to practice "tolerance."  OH, I see - so you are only willing to go to the extent that you "tolerate" my presence.  But what are you, then - too wise to understand me?  Too good?  Too, I don't know - INTOLERABLE? 

It may be better to be intolerable in the sense that it generates the impetus through which others seek to understand others - the intolerable.  I am finding that the greater degree of communication (whether good or bad you can discern) here in the forums takes place between believers and "non-believers" - to an extent both are intolerable...  but I understand the Atheists' intolerance of an idea that they are awaiting a voice from the sky on, yet, I cannot tolerate the notion that the only problem in the world comes from Faith communities - an idea put forth by the Atheists in which, they are being anything but politically correct .  In fact, are they not calling believers IDIOTS?

They often DO have good reason, but it only perpetuates a sentiment from the Right that creates more discord.  That is not particularly Intelligent.

We should tolerate pain, but not what causes more of it - so the Atheists and the Believers should really attempt to understand one another.

Finally - friends - I understand the Believers are often suffering, as are the Atheists - most of all at the hands of one another.  And I understand God to be something more than what we can imagine, unless we imagine that IT would never hold us accountable for being all the more intolerant of hating one another.  Both the "know" and the faith camps have their good and bad points - understood!  But both can be RET@^&E.D.  N@$$&#S and CR$#%^@S etc, etc...regarding the heart and soul of us all.  GET OVER THE POINT BEING MADE!

Is that not "politically" correct - or am I just being intolerable?  Understand? 

E.D.  -  erudition deprived...  we should all include ourselves in this HUMAN RACE(ial) SLUR...

AND JUST SO WE ARE ALL CLEAR AS A CHURCH BELL - I HATE THE USE OF ALL THE TERMS USED TO MAKE THE POINT...$%^&*(*&^%^&*(*&^%$%^

Hi - brand on heath tart -
            What on earth are you ranting about ?
            and why is the rant directed at me  ?
            and why is your name CAPITALISED, it is very annoying.

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
              Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're having a hard time understanding what he said?

That doesn't surprise me at all.

Good morning  'one-line Jim'  how appropriate you being here in this thread big_smile

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
                  Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It only takes one line to sum you up.

2. Joe Badtoe profile image60
                Joe Badtoeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Alt P

Have you noticed that the right wing christians are really getting to grips with irony?.

Keep on keeping on brother our work here is thriving :-)

2. BRANDONHEATHTART profile image61

AltPoet - it's not directed at you - cross my heart....
              "You" as used in the "rant" is general, but not specific... "you" is as much me as is much anyone.

Loved the Dimitri Martin use of my name, by the way smile  Brand ON .... 

I often write as much with pen and ink as I do with the keyboard.  I happen to write all caps when I print my name...it just carries over so I don't lose my own connection to the passe P&I format.  And I am sorry that it annoys you, but never is what I write either ad hominem, or rant, non sequitor jargon.

If I attack anyone, it ought to be me, hence, "YOU" is used like a conversation in the mirror - "WHAT IS THIS BUT MY REFLECTION?  WHO AM I TO JUDGE OR STRIKE YOU DOWN?" _  mjk

Cool big_smile

12. ddsurfsca profile image71
    ddsurfscaposted 13 years ago

I am mentally challenged and I hate being called that.  I am deslexic, ADHD, Polish, nearsighted, blonde and female. I believe that qualifies me.  You can call me whatever you like, but hurt my feelings and I'll cry.

Being blonde and Polish is just a challenge for your lucky man !!  ADHD  and dyslexic are not mental disorders they are little things given you by the chance of nature to make your life intersting.  Being a nearsighted female just makes it easier for guys to get close to you and makes you popular, the only problem I see in your list is that you are a woamn - which could be classed as a disorder  -  women always want dis in order, dat in order and will never understand that men want their heap of stuff kept in dis order !!  big_smile

13. JayDeck profile image61
    JayDeckposted 13 years ago

I happen to know one of the developmentally disabled individuals behind the "Ban the R word" campaign, here in New Jersey. When speaking clinically, we usually use DD where it applies. The problem with the "R" word is that it is almost always used as a pejorative. If you asked my friend, he'd probably just want to be called Bill.

I am sure you are right,  but  'developmentally disabled'  -  is worse than 'intellectually challenged' in some ways I think ?  This is a tricky subject isn't it.

14. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I don't really think it matters.  Give it a few years and whatever term we decide to use now in polite conversation will have the same negative connotations as all the others.

15. Mighty Mom profile image77

In the "biz" they say "people with disabilities" not "disabled people." So those whose disabilities are brain-related are termed "people with intellectual disabilities."
    I personally don't think the word "intellectual" is either accurate or appropriate.
    Call me a snob, but it sounds like we're talking about someone who couldn't get into Harvard.
    "People with learning disabilities" or "people with mental disabilities" (as opposed to physical disabilities and emotional disabilities) would, in my mind, be more accurate.

16. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

Any use of any label of a "special needs" individual will eventually become an insult, or in some way derogatory.

It's hopeless to try to change it.

When i was younger "Retard" was bad and "mentally handicapped" was ok.

Then I used the term in public about 2 years ago and was almost thrown out of the room!!

Now I hear people insultingly using the term "special needs". It's hopeless to keep the idea PC.

1. kephrira profile image61
      kephriraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree. The word retard has a specific meaning - certain faculties being retarded and therefore not developing as usual - it becomes an insult not because of the word itself, but because of the way people have used it.

You can't keep changing the terminology every 5 minutes because someone somewhere used it in a nasty way.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image73
        Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"The word retard has a specific meaning"
        Actually, it has two, depending on pronunciation. If you say retard, it's a verb, and it means to slow something down. (Musicians will recognize the abbreviation "ret." which is shorthand for "retardando," which means "When you get here, slow the tempo down."

If you say retard, it's a noun, and a pejorative (which has the added baggage of insulting not only the person you're trying to insult but also an entire group of innocent people).

1. kephrira profile image61
          kephriraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know why you assume I'm trying to insult someone. But you're right, I meant 'retarded'.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image73
            Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I was unclear.

I meant to be using 'you' in the generic sense, not referring to you, personally.

17. Jeff Berndt profile image73
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

Once upon a time, the word "moron" was a clinical term.

Now it's a pejorative, and people can use it without being accused of insensitivity to folk who are actually cognitively impaired (though they're still being rude to the person they're calling a moron).

But I disagree that all terms for disabilities will always become pejoratives over time. Once upon a time, "dumb" used to mean only "unable to speak." It eventually became a pejorative, and a synonym for stupid. For some reason, though, "mute," which also means "unable to speak," has not become a pejorative. People say "That's a dumb idea," but I've never encountered the sentence, "That's a mute idea."

1. BRANDONHEATHTART profile image61

I heard a woman tell her husband that she wished that she could use the remote control to the TV to put him on mute- he replied, "same goes for you".

AND THEY LIVED HAPPILY EVER AFTER...

18. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

With a specific, real person they have specific, real condition you can refer to such as Downs or fetal alcohol or simply low IQ.

1. Joe Badtoe profile image60
      Joe Badtoeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The last one (low IQ) applies to right wing fundamentalist christians. This is self evident and does not require research. The proof is voluntary usually in the form of self righteous posts.

sits back and waits.......

19. Mighty Mom profile image77

True. And this thread is rapidly becoming a moot (not to be confused with mute) point.
    However, I'm impressed that not a single poster has yet resorted to calling another posted a REtard. Quel restraint!

20. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

no matter what, even though I feel as though the word retard is just as valid as handicapped or special needs...

... I've just heard it too many times in an insulting manner for me to think that it would be ok to say.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)