For atheists and agnotic only : where you ever in religion?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (35 posts)
  1. pisean282311 profile image64
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

where you ever in any religion and what made you become atheist or agnostic?

1. BRANDONHEATHTART profile image60
      BRANDONHEATHTARTposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the atheists will laugh at your spelling and use it as an excuse to perpetuate their cause and all of their lack of mistakes....  but, let them make fools of whomever and call that scientific - where knowledge abounds and saves us all from none other than ourselves....

as if arrogance has nothing to do with the self..... or their community...

GOOD LUCK with this forum, but atheism is a religion, etymologically speaking.  they represent a community, and stick together in their aims.  that, by the most strict origins and definition of the word 'religion', constitutes their being called "religious" and therefore, in and involved with a religion called - ATHEISM.

AND YES, they, some of them, were perhaps once involved in the church, some were muslims, some were hindu.... et cetera. 

and i was once...an atheist...  it's just HIP to be.

1. BRANDONHEATHTART profile image60
        BRANDONHEATHTARTposted 13 years agoin reply to this

guess what, they have no proof that there is not a god...and use pain and suffering as a counter argument - and that is just one of many faulty sophisms purported by them. 

so, if evolution is true (which they love to hold fast to), why do they not choose to evolve and stop perpetuating pain by railing on spiritual people?  why not SUFFER the believing community and adapt by being kind, to their kind?  if an atheist wants to be that, would you ever pick on them for it????  hurt their feelings????  on purpose????  but you will inevitably with your "offensive beliefs"...

but love and let live...

2. profile image0
        Texasbetaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you know what etymology is? I don't think so. You are incorrect.

In early ancient Greek, the adjective atheos (ἄθεος, from the privative ἀ- + θεός "god") meant "godless". It was first used as a term of censure roughly meaning "ungodly" or "impious". In the 5th century BCE, the word began to indicate more-intentional, active godlessness in the sense of "severing relations with the gods" or "denying the gods", instead of the earlier meaning of "impious". The term ἀσεβής (asebēs) then came to be applied against those who impiously denied or disrespected the local gods, even if they believed in other gods. Modern translations of classical texts sometimes render atheos as "atheistic". As an abstract noun, there was also ἀθεότης (atheotēs), "atheism". Cicero transliterated the Greek word into the Latin atheos. The term found frequent use in the debate between early Christians and Hellenists, with each side attributing it, in the pejorative sense, to the other.[18]

In English, the term atheism was derived from the French athéisme in about 1587.[19] The term atheist (from Fr. athée), in the sense of "one who denies or disbelieves the existence of God",[20] predates atheism in English, being first attested in about 1571.[21] Atheist as a label of practical godlessness was used at least as early as 1577.[22] Related words emerged later: deist in 1621,[23] theist in 1662;[24] theism in 1678;[25] and deism in 1682.[26] Deism and theism changed meanings slightly around 1700, due to the influence of atheism; deism was originally used as a synonym for today's theism, but came to denote a separate philosophical doctrine.[27]

Now what about religion? By definition, religion must have a supernatural aspect, which Atheism does not. Read a book for once.

2. Mentalist acer profile image61
      Mentalist acerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Though my education of religious dogma,I saw a human face relating the laws of God and took this to mean that I too could make the laws of God into my interpretation,as these human faces had to be doing,for they were no more in the presense of God than I,the prophets who wrote the original Bible nor did they or I hear Jesus speak...so I listen to the threat of having to accept Jesus as my savior ,and then the Golden Rule and get confused;)

1. profile image0
        Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And this is the premise of why many have chosen to become agnostic and even anti or a/theist. I find you are very correct Ace, because it all is expressed by faces and by books. If anythings be the shortcoming of theology it is the two. As for the "acceptance" part, again, this is untrue -which further adds fuel to an already explosive/corrosive entity. Accepting a man -even divine- and not the gift of the man is, I am certain, what has caused all of the problems.

Ironically, by their teachings, it is easier to say, "accept the man as 'G/god' or else..." than it is to accept the gift from the man, understand what it means and enjoy it. They have turned a perfect thing into yet another human thing. Something new to adore and worship, to exploit, crow about, cry about, fight about. And in all ways -for or against- are equal theist and atheist.

1. Mentalist acer profile image61
          Mentalist acerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I accept Jesus as one of many,just as he taught that we are all the Son of God;)

3. profile image0
      Amie Warrenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was very religious, but the proseletyzers and the hypocrites drove me away. I got sick of being told stupid stuff like that a Mickey Mouse as the Sorcerer's Apprentice night light would bring demons into my house. I got sick of people making fun of those who didn't believe as they did, and berating people who didn't make fun of them. 

I generally got sick of living in fear of going to hell, when I was already living in hell, and no matter how much I prayed or asked for help, I was not allowed OUT of hell.

Funny, but as soon as I stepped away from religion, my life got better.  If there is a God, he has rewarded me for being intelligent enough to get away from the crazies.

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations. I think you did the right move.

2. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was raised pentecostal christian and was turned off by the hypocrisy, especially when I suffered from depression.  It was hard to let go of all the crap I had been indoctrinated with, but I am much happier away from it all, than immersed in it.
        My relationship with God was very one-sided - he did not seem interested in helping me.
        I've been to hell and back too, so I don't fear hell - I think christians exploit fear.
        The cliches and the fake hype are irritating

4. pylos26 profile image69
      pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I never became either...but I was in a tent revival meet once in cleveland.

5. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Can't answer.
      Why?
      There's no such thing as an atheist!

1. earnestshub profile image79
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep! "Atheist" is another word like "sin" smile

A better word is realist. smile

1. qwark profile image60
            qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ty Earn...

6. TerryGl profile image58
      TerryGlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The fact that some dirty old men chose to violate young children in the name of God. The church has simply been a vehicle for men to take advantage of young children.

What's better. Preaching the religion way or apologising that grown men have stuck a huge something in a very small place. Facts are facts. Look at the act itself and put yourself in that position.

Anyone who follows or believes in religion with such vehemence should direct that to the wrong doers, those filthy caped crusaders in God's name, because at the moment they are keeping silent about it and simply condone the act itself. Even the Pope is apoligising.

That's where religion lost me. Support the Lord and support the servants who pillage and rape. Sorry, but thats where it lost me...

2. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 13 years ago

I used to be religious but then realized that one day for no reason at all, billions of galexies were formed out of absolutely nothing.

1. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And for no reason,  OR   from any cause.

Yea, That certainly was compelling new evidence  ????

1. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It makes perfect sense to me.wink

1. Mikeydoes profile image43
          Mikeydoesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am an atheist, you are on the right path about religion is not for you, but a universe from nothing is only a theory and not proven. I suggest you don't just stop there, it may be right but its not science if you don't prove it. Be more open to other possibilities. Stopping where you are at is pretty much a belief and in some way a religion.

1. profile image0
            Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually you may find that devoting your life to true religion can be fufilling in this life and in the life to come.

2. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You know? I don't know what sounds more Fantastic... that there is a creative energy that some people call God who created the universe, or that the universe just happened out of absolutely nothing.

1. Shadesbreath profile image79
        Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think both are equally fantastic, because both require something to have come from nothing.  One requires the universe to have "just happened" and the other requires God to have "just happened" before he made the universe.  Both require a spontaneous occurence.  The only difference I see is that one has at least SOME evidence to support it where the other does not.

2. Beelzedad profile image59
        Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yet, the latter has a lot of hard evidence to support it and when understood makes sense. The former has only dogma to support it. smile

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

i have my own beliefs and values...but they are just mine...i don't belong to any formal group and don't feel i need to.

when you see me around the religion and philosopy threads...i'm joking around most times...i can't take the arguing over beliefs very seriously....i guess i don't see an answer to most questions or statements posed to satisfy the mix of beliefs in the world...i figure ...some people are looking for the same thing but just taking different roads that eventually join together somehow.

..believe in what you want as long as no one is harmed along the way.

back to part of the question...was raised in a catholic family...generations of the faith and culture.

1. profile image57
      exorterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you about the threads, a question is asked and it gets hy-jacked into going different dirictions

4. Never_Forget profile image58
    Never_Forgetposted 13 years ago

I think Atheism is just as ridiculous as religion. Both sides rely on "faith" and not proof or facts. Both sides are convinced they are right. Neither side can prove anything.

I am agnostic, and former Christian. I believe that something obviously created us and this world we live in, but I don't think we have the brain capacity to even comprehend such a thing. Furthermore, I don't think it matters. Live and let live, do unto others, and all that good stuff.

Im more atheist then agnostic. I would more or less say nothing created us, but there very well could be an an instinct of life and evolving. Some driving force started and wanted to live, or perhaps we are in a sconce project, there is no telling what is right. I'm probably wrong and we will never find out in our life time. Which is a great thing. Think about it, if we knew the meaning of life, life would suck.

Think of it like money. When you have it all what else is there. We just take it for granted when we have it.

Money is fine, if you have it understood as a commodity.
        I have made a lot of money and it opened up a lot more possibilities for me. Study, travel, family time etc.

It can be used to buy time for self growth, shared amongst the needy or for paying for food parcels for example.

Some people with money know how to use it.
        Bill Gates is a fine example of what to do with your money. smile

Agree with you there.

2. profile image52
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So the Atheists seem to be more confused than the Agnostics.

2. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am ex-christian, now agnostic.  I lean more towards scientific evidence than supernatural experiences

3. profile image52
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is an open forum; so I would respond.

We can only know our Creator-God Allah YHWH from his attributes that are reflected in and around us; otherwise we cannot comprehend Him.

5. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

I will never understand why there are those who claim to be  atheists.
    According to the English definition of atheist, it is impossible to be an atheist.

6. pisean282311 profile image64
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

thank you all for response..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)