hubber profile score dropped from 90s to 65

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Evan Hutchinson profile image69
    Evan Hutchinsonposted 13 years ago

Despite the fact that my traffic in that time span is up from 500 views a day to 5400 views a day. Wtf? Apparently hubber score is useless. Oh and my average hub score is up in that same span of time too.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hubber Score measures more than just traffic, it measures the totality of your contribution to the community over time.   Here are some examples of things that are not good for the community:

- Following indiscriminately,  in sprees, or more generally, for purposes other than keeping up with what a Hubber is doing on HubPages
      - Creating hubs by duplicating content from other sites
      - Commenting primarily for promotional purposes
      - Creating hubs that receive a poor response from readers (view duration, thumbs up and down, etc)
      - Creating work for our moderators, by not adhering to the rules

Some things that are good for the community:

- Producing high quality, well written hubs
      - Genuine participation, in Q&A, forums, or comments
      - Helping us police the site by rating, flagging, hopping, etc.

2. profile image0
    Uma07posted 13 years ago

IDK Evan.I read a couple of your hubs and they seem original all right.But this thing doesn't bother me now.I recently noticed when I am on HP it goes down but when I finish publishing a hub and am away for a day or two, it goes up.

3. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 13 years ago

If I was going to bet on what has happened, I'd bet that you have been linking to the same domain repeatedly across the majority of your Hubs.  Even if you keep it to just one ot two links per Hub, that sort of behavior is one of the things that will eventually trigger a "spam" designation on an account.

http://hubpages.com/faq/#overly_promotional

1. sofs profile image76
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

HP scores are an enigma.!!  90 to 65 is unbelievable!.. with hub scores going up smile

2. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So if I put an RSS that includes my most recent hubs on my stuff, will, over time, that backfire on me?

1. sunforged profile image68
        sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

no - relates to external sites only

4. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 13 years ago

Yep... looks like something spammy to me.  You are now no follow which means that your links has no value in terms of seo.  With such a drop in authorscore is not a good sign.  Either spam (your traffic is excessive and doesnt appear natural to me) or/and you have been suspended for some reason.  Have you any links that can be crawled to a suspended account?  If you have, then you need to resolve this issue quickly and close the link.

You might even have been identified as someone who uses automation to drive traffic.  Rssfeed automation?  Comment kurhana (or whatever the spelling!), article spinning?  All these can affect online reputation.  HP is a mini Google and will reflect in a small way what seems to be happening in a wider context.

The good news is ... Google and hubpages values good content, so you dont have to work too hard in getting traffic, this will come naturally!

Evan Hutchinsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

what's 'automation'? Like, paying people or something? Bots?

2. Evan Hutchinson profile image69

And sorry, my traffic is all natural, and I have tons of high-traffic hubs on Google. 100 percent real people visiting.

1. profile image0
        shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It seems that when there is a big elevation in traffic, the HP system flags the possibility of spamming other sites.  For example, making comments in forums with a link to a hub - excessively, creating lots of articles in other sites with hub links - excessively, creating rssfeeds and submitting to lots of aggegate sites - excessively.  Bulk emailing links - excessively.  This is about overly self promotion.  Yes, the traffic is organic, but the intention is about self promotion for the purpose of adsense clicks.  It is this that HP and google want to stop.  Self promotion in order to game the system for serps is frowned upon whereas good content is supposed to be showered with lots of google love.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php … amp;ref=mf

I dont know if that is what you have done and, frankly, it is none of my business.  I am just telling it as it seems.

Hope this helps and good luck!

That makes sense. I just found a hot niche and started milking it. I started cleaning up some of my worse hubs and knocking out a lot of external links and my score is rising again.

5. sunforged profile image68
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Relache seems to have identified the likely culprit.

If all of your car hubs, are linked to your car blog and that makes up an identifiable portion of your hub portfolio - then those page can easily be seen as being landing pages only intending to drive traffic or juice to your blog - this is penalized by the hub system.

Also the dozen or so car hubs I peeked at are incredibly short, a great quantity of low -quality hubs with external links to the same site (sites) i likely to be penalized also.

If it was my problem , i would delete a bunch of those low quality hubs that only took you 5 minutes tops to make(perhaps the bottom 20 that are not receiving traffic?) in your car theme or as an alternative make an effort to add much more info in text and relevant media and diverse outgoing links. Perhaps combine a few of the low quality hubs into some larger more value filled hubs.

- that's your likely culprit, no reason to wonder further until you correct that known problem/violation with your current portfolio

Thanks Sun, Relache and everyone else. I've started killing off all of the low-traffic external links and I'm going to work on killing off crappy hubs afterwards as well.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)