Text Capsule Didn't Save

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Whitney05 profile image84
    Whitney05posted 15 years ago

When I was working on a hub earlier today, I saved the capsules and clicked the done editing button, but the text didn't actually save, so I had to retype everything into the capsules.

This has happened several times lately and a number of times throughout my HP times. I'm not sure if it's a fluke that happens or if there's a bug somewhere... Just thought I'd raise the flag.

1. larryfreeman profile image78
      larryfreemanposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi Whitney,

Thanks for reporting this.  Which browser are you using? 

I'll see if I can reproduce the problems so I can let you know what's up.

-Larry

2. 49er profile image61
      49erposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Usually, I do most of my writing in a word processor and save it on my computer. Once I have it more or less complete, I add it to hubpages or wherever.

This way you always have a backup of your writing, if something were to happen to hubpages or you run into a technical difficulty.

1. Whitney05 profile image84
        Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Internet Explorer

I have done that as well. Definitely prevents from losing work when the capsules don't save right, but I haven't done it in a while. I may have to start again though. This is why I started writing in Word first- capsules losing work, but I haven't had a problem in a while, so I quite.

2. Dorsi profile image87
        Dorsiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

This is a very good suggestion.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

Whitney, I'm like you and type directly into the capsules. I don't know why, but I find it more stimulating if I create the Hub on the fly, as it were, adding my capsules and photos as I go. I used to have frequent problems with text capsules not saving - I'm pretty sure it was my connection rather than HP that was the problem - but I haven't had that problem in a while (touch wood).

3. crashcromwell profile image66
    crashcromwellposted 15 years ago

I had the same problem with my hubmob submission this week. Half my article didn't post, and I had to recreate it. It's the first time it's happened to me.

@crashcromwell:

Thanks for posting this.  I'll check to see if anything new is causing a problem.

@Whitney05:

Thanks for the additional information.  I'll keep this in mind as I look for the source of the problem.

-Larry

4. thranax profile image71
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

This isn't a good thing, it should autosave fine. What I found best was to keep the text in a document hard copy like Word or Notepad. Copying and pasting them into your hubs allows a backup in case of this happening saving tons of time and patience!

~Thranax~

5. Julie-Ann Amos profile image65
    Julie-Ann Amosposted 15 years ago

It's happening a LOT here.  I've one hub that seems screwed because of it and don't know what to do.  The page sometimes works and sometimes shows garbage.  But I am having a real hell of a job just posting a hub lately.

Hi Julie-Ann and everyone,

I am very sorry to hear about recent problems.  Which page is it?  I'll take a look.

Also, I am almost finished testing on IE with the long hub issue.  I will have an update on the other thread later today.

Thanks very much for your patience with these issues.

-Larry

1. Julie-Ann Amos profile image65
        Julie-Ann Amosposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi sorry Larry.  It's my kiva hub

6. Isabella Snow profile image84
    Isabella Snowposted 15 years ago

Hi Larry, it's been happening a lot to me lately as well, and today it actually deleted things that were already saved in draft form.

I had to re-do it, as I don't copy and paste due to the glitches that creates. Not only that, it shuffled my capsules and images around. As I said, its happened before but this time it was a lot.

I'm on a Mac using the latest Firefox, which is the only browser I can use with HP, as far as I'm aware....

It was this hub http://hubpages.com/hub/5-Signs-Youre-a-Politician

Something to note: My other hub which I published today didn't have any problems. The difference in the two hubs is that the one I've linked to here was saved in advance and then finally published today -- whereas the other was created and published all at once. If that matters.

If not... I've no idea. sad

7. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 15 years ago

Isabella, I think it may be a connection problem when it happens to me. If my wireless connection gets low or the internet connection gets slow I have the same problem. I hope it is just the connection. agvulpes has had similar problems too, but when he checked his connection was slow. Any time I see the little "working" wheel go for a while without saving it is usually my connection that is at fault. I hope this helps.

8. Isabella Snow profile image84

Even if i did have a slow connection, which I don't, I don't see how that would re-arrange my capsules and reverse their order, or delete some capsules that had been previously saved the day before...

9. Isabella Snow profile image84

Doing that doesn't render correctly for some OS/browsers.

But even if it did, it shouldn't be necessary. It's an extra, time consuming step that can be very, very off putting for some people, particularly if more than a couple of capsules are being used.

10. packerpack profile image58
    packerpackposted 15 years ago

Reading this Hub gives me an impression that this problem is has become very prominent lately but fortunately I have not faced it yet. Could be because I am using "Fire Fox" ! Sometimes this problem may occur because of slow connection. Fire Fox is best in the business, it is lot faster and safer then IE.

I would suggest you to switch to Fire Fox and to make it even more fast, read one of the Hubs of ahmadnaim titled "How to hacking Mozilla Firefox any version, XP and Vista". It really works

11. LondonGirl profile image82
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

If you don't like copying and pasting from Word, you could write text in a capsule then copy that when you finish, before you save.

1. Isabella Snow profile image84
      Isabella Snowposted 15 years agoin reply to this

And if I have 6 capsules, I should go through this after every single one, which would mean having to save the hub as unpublished each time as well since thats the only way you can be sure it saved?? I think it would be easier and less time consuming to just fix the problem....

If something that has already been saved and looks perfectly normal one day, and then the next time it's edited -- even if just opened to look at and publish --  it deletes previously saved text and shuffles images all over the place, something is wrong.

I'm sure Larry or someone at HP will figure it out soon enough.

And *to Larry* -- I've just gotten the latest FF today, I didnt realize a new version had been released this week, so maybe it could have been my computer. It didnt tell me there was a new version, for some reason.

12. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 15 years ago

Thanks for raising this issue. I've had problems with this also. Only in addition to text capsules, my biggest problems are with video and link capsules not saving.
    Another problem I've had is I'll be 99.5% done with an entire hub -- everything assembled (or so I think) and ready to publish. I press the "Publish Now" button and nothing happens. I press again. Nothing happens. Ok, so I press "Preview." I hear noise, but what comes up as a preview is not my full hub. It is about 1/20 of it -- usually just the initial text capsule. Everything else is GONE. Then, I get a message that says, "Sorry, this hub is no longer available. To continue working you must sign back in." Needless to say, when I sign back in to work, the hub that comes up is the 1/20 version.
    Very, very frustrating!

13. Whitney05 profile image84

Larry... I didn't learn my lesson, and it did it again... I'm using firefox on a mac  this time.

I saved the capsule, saved the hub as a draft (or whatever). And the capsule I had last edited reformated itself and deleted most of what I had added and changed.

Hi Whitney05,

Thanks for letting me know.

What is the title of the hub.  I'll keep it on my list of hubs to investigate to see if I can reproduce what's happening.

-Larry

14. Whitney05 profile image84

Well, this is a different hub than the last one. It's my newest hub- Porcelain Doll Collection.

15. Whitney05 profile image84

Larry, I think the problem is that it is taken extra long at times to save the capsules, so if you don't wait until the "working" flash at the top disappears before saving, the capsule does not save any changes.

I have been working on the same hub for about an hour, and finally took notice that that could be the problem. It typically doesn't take long to save a text capsule, so I usually don't pay much attention to it.

I am still having problems saving the capsule. I keep getting the error:

16. BristolBoy profile image63
    BristolBoyposted 15 years ago

I have had a similar problem with saving when I was working on my hub on Tremough Campus.  I would enter text in and press save, and nothign would happen.  Sometimes I would get the saving bit at the top, but othertimes the text box would disappear, but the rest of the hub would stay light (like it does when editing a part the rest stays lighter).  Even waiting 10 minutes didn't make any difference so I just pressed refresh and had to redo.  Happened a couple of times but not since - but then again I haven't made any major changes/worked on any hubs.

Just for the record I am using the latest Firefox with Vista.

17. Whitney05 profile image84

BristolBoy, I had the same thing (or similar thing) happen, where it freezes when trying  to save. I sat for ever, and eventually it saved. Where the background is still grayed out, but in the text capsule, some of the options such as "save" had disappeared and the others were a little larger than normal. It happened a few times.

I'm using firefox on a mac, in case it's needed. I'm going to try to fix it when I get home with IE on a PC. I just need to delete a paragraph and move a section to another capsule. I ended up adding the text I wanted to add to a different capsule, and the other capsule saved fine.

18. sunstreeks profile image80
    sunstreeksposted 15 years ago

I've been having similar issues with capsules moving around after I publish. Last night I had an issue with polls. I had a few in a hub. One didn't save even though it was there before I pushed save unpublished.  I went back to edit and re-make it and saved it unpublished, went to check that it was there now, it was, but the poll below it was now gone and it was there just moments before I had to fix the other one.

Fixed that one and had no problems after. But ya I've noticed capsules are having problems "sticking"

19. Whitney05 profile image84

I fixed that one capsule problem at hoe on my PC using IE... I'm hoping not to encounter any problems today, I was pretty fed up with the internet by the time I started having that problem. I most definitely just turned it off after trying for ever to get it to work.

20. Whitney05 profile image84

Apparently today's not my day either... Larry, have you looked into this?

Hi Whitney,

I will spend more time on this issue tomorrow.  I'll let you know if I see anything.

When I tested it before, I wasn't able to reproduce the problem.

-Larry

21. Whitney05 profile image84

I finally got the capsule to save when I took out the link that I had within the text. The link was to another hub I have. I didn't try it when I got home, but I'm about to try it again.

Edit: It still didn't work. I added the link and a few words. The capsule took forever and wouldn't finish saving. I hit the done editing button, and the words saved but not the link. I went back in and removed the link and finished the paragraph I was started. The capsule didn't have any problems saving without the link.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)