Suicide hub

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (23 posts)
  1. saleheensblog profile image61
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

I am writing an almost 5000 word hub on "Suicide, depression, prevention of suicide and depression".The work is half done and not yet published.The entire content aims to prevent suicide.
    Now HP shows
          WARNING: Advertising has been disabled on this hub based on automatic content filters.
    What to do?

2. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

The thing is as I understand it the filters trip on certain words. They can not tell the difference between "You should commit suicide" and "you should not commit suicide" it only knows suicide.
    I have read that other hubbers with help type hubs that trip these filters have had some success with asking for a review from the staff.

saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am thinking of mailing the team. God knows what will happen. Can I send a mail without completing the hub. I have written almost 2000 words and I am in the midst of the hub.

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What will happen? They will laugh at you if you contact them prior to having completed the hub.

opps, you are right. sad.I will complete it first then.

can you give me another suggestion?tongue what will be better,writing one hub of 4000 word or splitting it into 3 hubs? tongue 1.causes of suicide and depression 2. signs of suicide 3. Prevention of suicide.

1. John Holden profile image60
            John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Based on very little experience I'd say go for the three and link them in both directions.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
            rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

maybe take a look at the hubs on the subject and see which ones had their ads removed. I doubt very much if HP would laugh at you for asking questions about your warning.

if you have enough content to write 3 separate hubs, that sounds like a good idea. also make sure you target an audience. who are you writing for? that will help you write and figure out a good length for the hubs.

I have enough material to write half dozen of 1000/1500word hubs on the related topic. I have to work on making each of them look complete and worth reading to the reader. thanks you for the suggestion. smile

3. profile image0
            TopUniverseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am looking forward your long hub. Any way better to split it.

4. profile image0

Please see my response to Jane above. I did not mean that they will laugh at you for seeking guidance; however, I do not think they are happy to moderate a hub that has not yet been completed. Therefore, I suggest that you wrap up the hub a.s.a.p. and ask for moderation. If all goes well, you can subsequently expand it, and at that time you will better know what guidelines to follow.

WE thank your for your suggestion, I got your point. And trying to finish the whole series ASAP.smile. But I think I need at least 20 hours to type 5000 word that's the problem.

2. Jane@CM profile image61
          Jane@CMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If he is already getting a disabled ads on his unpublished hub, of course he should email the hub team.  They are there for these types of questions.

1. profile image0

They may be able to tell the OP what is wrong with the hub currently. However, they certainly cannot clear a hub that has not yet been completed. If the purpose is to have the hub manually reviewed and then cleared, it will have to be completed, so they can know what they are moderating.

3. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

IMHO 5000 words is too long for one hub.
    If there is a logical place to break yours into at least 2, I would do it.
    Look forward to reading what you've got. It's an important topic, for sure! MM

4. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 13 years ago

I had a similar problem with my hub on child abuse.  Filters pick up words like, sexual abuse, etc, and flag the hub.  It is a hub on recognizing signs of abuse, in order to help and protect children, and had ads removed because of the words the filters caught, not the actual intent or content.

5. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I suggest that you read this story...

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/201 … ephen-Lumb

Very recent, current in fact. And that will help you to understand why online powers take a dim view of some darker subjects.

Yes the boundaries are a bit too strict, but I understand them nonetheless.

ps. I had about 600 AdSense impressions per day effectively taken away recently when my Serial Killers series tripped the filter, so I understand the frustration. Dissapointing I know, but we just have to pick ourselves up, dust down, and move on to the next project.

6. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 13 years ago

You cannot write on a number of subjects because of the Google stop words. I read some where that you have to remove the 'offending word' to let your hub pass through the filter, that would mean you cannot write about suicide or paralysis or death or drugs or  any of the  ills plaguing the society.

7. A la carte profile image61
    A la carteposted 13 years ago

Your hub is too long but this has already been discussed. I noted that there were hundreds maybe thousands of hubs on this subject so maybe you need to think about a series of articles as well as the format. I am not an expert but I wonder if HP is the right place for such a comprehensive and in depth article.I am not meaning to offend at all just posing the question that a shorter article linking to a site where your longer article was maybe more appropriate and also allow those advertisements through might work for you.

I really appreciate your suggestion but I don't know any other place to submit such a long hub so I decided to split the hub into parts.

8. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

I would think that you can overcome the google filters by re-wording the offending parts and using substitute phrases.  If suicide trips the filter then it could be replaced with "killing yourself"  if this still trips then "stop living" or better choices maybe.
    If ou took this route you might need to 'refer' the terms you are using in the opening, like Hupages (HP) or whatever.

I don't know if this would work, it is just the way I would go first.

9. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 13 years ago

The automated filters has picked this up.  You could carry on and publish it, at which point HP will take a look at it as a matter of course in their own time, or contact them first.

What you need to ask yourself, however, is:

'Before making any single decision, you should ask yourself the question: Is this going to be beneficial for my page's visitors?'

If so this is good content, and you have really questioned yourself as regards to the moral issues surrounding the subject, it will be allowed.  You will feel that you have done a good job. 

What you need to understand is that when you produce a hub like this, you have a duty of care.  Your recommendations can have a direct effect on the reader's well being.  I dont think you would feel too good, if you have written something that might trigger a suicidal response.  Always, therefore, refer people to good resources for further help.  For example organisations like the Samaritans, mental health services and a professional who might be able to help - preferably for 'now'.  I am sure you can find helplines.  Some people are reading these articles because they are feeling suicidal or depressed now.  Why else would searching for a hub about these types of mental health issues - the feeling they have is the trigger for the search.

You need to put a disclaimer in place.  I did this with my psychology 101 articles.  People need to know what professional standing you have.

As regards to a big hub or three smaller - I feel it is better to have three smaller as people might feel overwhelmed by the information if in one go.  Remember to place the resources for help in every one of your hubs.  If you are writing about it, you have a duty of care.

Thank you very much for your kindness. It really helped me. And you have answered all my unasked question like you suggested a Disclaimer and referring people to suicide prevention hot line.

On this topic I am certainly not looking for a vast amount of page view but for a a moral boost that I have done something special. The hub I am writing is on request of a fellow hubber who actually requested me to write a poem on someone's lonesome and suicidal tendency. I wrote a poem on his request and later he told me that one of his friend has a suicidal tendency. Immediately after that I set my mind to write a hub on suicide prevention and started my research. This is an opportunity for me to save a life. smile

Finally I have decided to write a series of hub on the base of all of your suggestion.

10. saleheensblog profile image61
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

Thank you everyone for your kind inputs. You people are angels smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)