OMG!! who still uses a land line

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (48 posts)
  1. xixi12 profile image68
    xixi12posted 13 years ago

I just visited a friend, heard the phone ring(gri..gri..) and what do I see a green land line telephone. Maybe i have followed the new technology tides and just assumed everyone else has. who still uses a landline and why?

1. waynet profile image67
      waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do!

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do because it never runs out of charge, never gets lost, never falls in the loo and stops working, and I can call New Zealand without going bankrupt.

3. Ivorwen profile image65
      Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I use a land line and much prefer it.  Cell phones hardly work in my house, especially on cloudy days.

2. TamCor profile image77
    TamCorposted 13 years ago

We still use a landline...and we actually use it more than we do a cellphone, believe it or not! big_smile

Our adult kids prefer their cellphones for their main means of communication, but the only time our cellphone rings is when our kids are trying to find out where we are, hahaha... lol

3. travel_man1971 profile image63
    travel_man1971posted 13 years ago

We don't own a land line here in the barrio (Philippine countryside). Most people use cellular phones, nowadays.
    And you cannot change the ring tone of a land line (just the usual and irritating..kRIIINGGGGGG!!!! Hahaha!)

1. TamCor profile image77
      TamCorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you can--we can pick from several different ringtones on our phones...but maybe it depends on the model you buy! smile

4. thisisoli profile image73
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I've not had a land line in a long time now, of course when my cell phones battery runs out things can get a little awkward sometimes tongue

5. VictorG profile image61
    VictorGposted 13 years ago

Heh, I haven't had a land line in over 9 years now, which is almost how long I haven't had cable either.

Not that they don't have their place though, because there are sometimes when a cell phone might not work, but a land line will. However, I haven't really had any major problems since I dropped my landline...

6. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

I have both and would not be able to function if either of them was gone. My work depends on my cell and my family depends on the land line.

7. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

when I'm home I use my landline over my cell. it's easier to hold and probably safer to use. I only use my cell when I'm out if I need it. I'm not one of those who walks around carrying their phone like it's part of their body. hmm

8. mrfluffy profile image60
    mrfluffyposted 13 years ago

When I'm home I still prefer to use my landline, even if it's just to stop me pacing back and forth and wearing out the carpet.

9. Pcunix profile image92
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

We still do.

I use a Google Voice number so that I can drop or change that at any time, but cell phone reception is not great here and I just do not trust Internet based phone services (having had the horrible experience of being without phone AND internet for several hours).

Femto cells use the Internet, so they wouldn't be reliable either.  Antenna booster systems are expensive - I'll stick to land line for reliability.

1. Disturbia profile image60
      Disturbiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have both, but I could live without either very happily.

10. emievil profile image68
    emievilposted 13 years ago

My family still use a land line. It's cheaper than the cell phone. All of my friends still have land line. Plus we can call anybody anywhere in the country who's phone line is under the same company for free - no long distance charges smile.

11. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

We just dropped our land line.  I didn't really want to, for reliability and radiation reasons, but since we don't really talk on the phone (I hate talking on the phone), there was just no reason to keep giving the phone company $50 a month and pay cell phone bills too.

12. Lily Rose profile image84
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

I couldn't live without my cell phone, but I hate talking on it - it's not comfortable.  I don't think I could be without my landline.

13. anime_nanet profile image59
    anime_nanetposted 13 years ago

OMG! Who still post threads like this one

14. lakeerieartists profile image62
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

Landline at home and one at work.  Yep I still use them a lot.

15. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

yep still have a landline - and regular and prepaid cells and skype and a short wave radio and a megaphone.

each has its own uses.

OMG!

16. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

I live in a foothill area where cellphone service is spotty and sometimes non-existent. We sometimes have electric outages which would make a cell phone un-rechargeable, but the land line still works for emergency purposes even with electricity.
    out.
    Only use cell phone when traveling (in a service area). Thinking of giving up the cell phone.

17. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

I don't even HAVE a cell phone.  Too annoying!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just cancelled my cell account.

18. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Lots of people have a landline.  A no-frills landland account always offers security a lot of other kinds of phone offer.  Of course, landline lines fall off the house in storms too, but hopefully, then, the cell phone works.

19. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Nope, no land line.

I have fibre optic internet, so don't need a telephone line.

20. Jayne Lancer profile image91
    Jayne Lancerposted 13 years ago

We still have a landline. My husband's mother won't dial a mobile number, and since she has no idea of how to use a computer (let alone understanding how to send an email), the only other option for her to contact us would be by snail mail.
    Actually, I believe she's the only person who ever calls on our landline phone.

21. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 13 years ago

I have never had a landline, since I moved out of my parents' house at 18.

22. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 13 years ago

We have a landline at my house.  But no cell phone, no TV and no cars.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you live in the city?

23. prettydarkhorse profile image55
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

I use landline.

24. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

We just dumped our landline recently, but bought a bluetooth cordless phone system that hooks to both our cells.  The best of both worlds!

25. profile image0
    SirDentposted 13 years ago

No cell service where I live.  Land lines are the only way to go.  Also no internet service except dial-up or satellite.

26. edmondpogi profile image60
    edmondpogiposted 13 years ago

would you believe... i do not own a mobile phone??

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"OMGosh"

I do, but hardly use it.

1. Lisa HW profile image63
        Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Same here.  We have fiber optics, computer phones, land lines, a few cell phones, whatever...   Barely use of any of them except for one, same-old, cell phone (but they're all there as back-ups to all the rest of them.   lol  ) All we need now is a couple of tin cans with strings, and we'll really be all set.   smile

27. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

i have one for now...i'm (trying) to sell my house and when I do...i plan to get rid of it and just use cell...and get rid of a few other devices too...basically to cut down on costs of items i need and use but find the costs are getting higher and higher and i don't want to pay for it anymore....there must be a more cost efficient way to stay tuned in...and i'm researching ways.

28. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 13 years ago

I would only use a land line because I believe cell phones are potentially a danger to your health.

29. jenblacksheep profile image69
    jenblacksheepposted 13 years ago

I have a landline but seriously considering unplugging it. The only calls we get are automated machines, people doing surveys, wrong numbers or my Grandma (and she can learn to call my cell). Much cheaper to use my cell to make calls too.

By the way, it crushes my soul to use the word 'cell' since I'm from England and they are not called cells here.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What are they called?

30. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I only have a cell = so when I want to I can pretend I'm "breaking up" and "the reception is so bad today!"  and get out of a long conversation or answering needless questions.  I recommend this to anyone else who hates to talk on the phone.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yep...and with cell phones, sometimes you can't really tell when it disconnects...i find it doesn't 'hang up' the way a landline does...so someone could be going on and on...and you're gone...poof...like magic!

1. mega1 profile image79
        mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

oh - you bad!  You mean you actually hang up and then they call back and you say "Oh, wow, my phone just cuts out sometimes.  Bad reception out here in the country!"

Thing is, it is true, I do have bad reception and sometimes I'm the one who gets cut off and I'm still talking, don't realize until I get no answer for awhile. Or, maybe I'm just a blabber sometimes and other people are hanging up on me? oh.  Other times, I can't be bothered - caller i.d. is a godsend.

..yep...it comes in handy when i need it...not with a friend...but someone who is maybe just wasting my time...it's just good to know it's there when u need it lol

31. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I still have a landline, we use a cordless phone with a base and can use it as far as out in the back yard (we are in a top floor flat). With the extortion the cell companies get away with I HATE cell phones. What ever happened to paying for your calls at the end of the month? I mean either its pay as you go and get stuffed if you forget to top up your phone or you pay some line rental for your mobile that you maybe use once a month for £20+ (thats one expensive phone call!). I just don't use cell phones cause they are too bloody expensive, at least with my land line I can call other land lines free yikes
    I text people with cell phones from the net right here on the computer, again free. My cell phone is topped up only because I save £5 every 3 months on my internet (£15 off by topping up my phone by £10 every 3 months) by having one of their pay as you go phones and I have it for emergencies mostly. Its really just to much to have a mobile going off while I have a que of people behind me at the shops and I am packing away my goods and paying and damn it the phone is ringing! Why couldn't they have rung once I am out of the store? or during the 10 min wait I had in the que before I got to the till. Gaaa! You totally pushed a button I think lol tongue

32. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

oh and I cannot let a phone ring. When a phone rings I have to answer it. Unless its a phone booth phone! I never answer those anymore! lol (watch the movie phone booth if you don't know why I wont answer phone booth calls)

...i don't have a problem letting my phone ring...call display is so helpful..as well as call block!

...my ex would run through the house to grab a call....i'd be sauntering on by it and he just couldn't understand how i could not bother answering it...it got me into truuuuuuble a few times...lol...but still have the habit.

33. evvy_09 profile image60
    evvy_09posted 13 years ago

I haven't had a landline in years. But next week I'm switching to one. Cell phones are too expensive for me right now and I can get a homephone and internet for about the same price. I'll get a cheap prepaid cell phone for long trips since I'm directionally challenged.

34. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

i despise all phones. i hope Alexander rots, er, where ever he is. or was it Edigraham Mabell?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)