Sarcasm

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (46 posts)
  1. Reality Bytes profile image75
    Reality Bytesposted 13 years ago

If your going to reply to someone's thread why be sarcastic?  If the thread is not interesting, move on.  Why do some hubbers think that other hubbers come to the forums to be lectured too.
    Maybe some hubbers think that they are are Better then others.

Maybe some hubbers do not even really write hubs but just hang out to spread sarcasm?

1. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, we do.

:-)

1. TamCor profile image81
        TamCorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree--a little tact can go a long way...I don't know why some people can't see that. 

And please--enough of the saying that this is the internet, and not real...whose fingers are working these keyboards and typing out the sarcastic responses???  smile

2. Haunty profile image74
      Hauntyposted 13 years ago

Some people have sarcasm as the primary means of making their case. Criticism must be their way of relieving some sort of internal pressure. I hope this comment does not count as a personal attack, but this is really very annoying.

Reality Bytesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Am I annoying?  What personal attack?

1. Haunty profile image74
          Hauntyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not you, but sarcastic people.

OK,  smile  I have no intention to offend

I cannot get past the first condescending remark that is made. 

"What is wrong with you"

"just google it"

Remarks like that make me disregard what follows. 

Insert smiley here  :smug:

2. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think criticism and sarcasm go hand in hand.  I'm very critical but sarcasm is only found if and when I'm extremely angry - when I don't really care if the analytical mind and critical side of me coincide or not.

3. timorous profile image82
      timorousposted 13 years ago

Sarcasm has its' place.  Sometimes a thread is just being taken way more seriously than it ought to.  Or if someone makes a comment that is just plain dumb.

This is where sarcasm comes in to save the day smile

Still..one must be discreet and choose the right interjection.

4. Ben Evans profile image64
      Ben Evansposted 13 years ago

Sarcasm is used often when another person wants to get the upper hand in a discussion.  Most don't understand how to use it but to be just down right nasty and mean.  When people do that it doesn't make them look smart.

I tend to think people just are getting angry and not trying to discuss.  There are people who are just downright mean.  Sarcasm is a way to put down another person.  It can at time be an effective means of communication when it is directed away from a person and outside the discussion.  There are very few who can do this in a manner to not be mean.

5. mega1 profile image78
      mega1posted 13 years ago

I will never again use sarcasm on HP.  I promise.  Never.  Really, never.

6. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 13 years ago

I believe he (she?) is talking about my reply in this thread.  He/she can correct me if I'm wrong:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/50663#post1161595

Although, in fairness, I did not say "What is wrong with you?"

smile

It is not just your reply in my thread.  I spend a lot of time alone and on google.  Some of the things I write about require quite a bit of research.  Whether or not you appreciate my hubs is irrelevant. There is a lot of research within them.  I do spend most of my time here alone with HP and google.

Occasionally I enter the forums (usually through the questions on my hub) to interact with other human beings.  It was not you or your post that started this thread it was me and how I felt.  I do not wish to argue with anyone I do not need that,  I do not wish to offend anyone that is not my purpose.

I have truly enjoyed my time at Hubpages,  I have learned an enormous amount of things while I have been here.  Hubpages has been one of the most proud achievements within my life at this moment. Everyone please have an awesome weekend and I wish the best to each and every one of you. 

PCunix you are far more superior to me.  Does that make you feel better?

1. profile image0
          PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am not offended.  I enjoy sparring in the forums and it takes a lot more than that to get my dander up.  I just found it amusing that you asked about a "rumor" and phrased it in a way that was obviously critical of the President, even though the facts were easy to find.

You have an awesome weekend, too.  smile

1. mega1 profile image78
            mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am not being sarcastic when I say I like you a lot better as a human, than as a cat.  This coming from a kitty may sound sarcastic, but no.  I am not clever enough today to be sarcastic!

Also, Reality, I will pass on to you the advice that was given to me when I first entered the forums:  don't take the things people say very personally - unless someone is definitely talking just to you and being mean.  Then, don't get mad, get even!  there is a lot of give and take here - and is what makes it all so interesting and addictive I believe.

I do not wish to "get even".  I have the feeling that I am a pariah in these forums and I have accepted my place in life.  So be it.

1. profile image0

See, I think if you were to browse through the threads in the political forums you would find that you are not the only person who has been at the receiving end of sarcasm and ridicule.  It happens to all of us who participate, which means you are not a pariah unless you decide to feel like one.  I acknowledged that I used sarcasm to respond to your post; but you have not yet taken responsibility for the original tone and implications of your post.  Now, you are playing the victim.

All of that is fine and dandy.  You are free to feel and do as you wish, of course. Just don't be surprised if not everyone joins you in believing you've been victimized.

I understand that you have defined my tone and implication.

I was not implying anything.  I was working on a hub when I heard that the POTUS was considering meeting directly with the leader of Iran.

I was wondering if anyone else had heard of the rumor.  I now see that I made a mistake.  I am not a victim nor do I wish to be perceived of as a victim.  I do not oppose the president but I can see how it appeared that way.

In the future I will refrain from opening any threads.  I will just remain in isolation with my hubs and my google.  I may comment on a thread but I will not interfere with the intellectual conversations that are beyond my intelligence.

1. profile image0

Look, let's just get over it.  It's not that big of a deal.  If you want to refrain from posting on threads, that's your choice, but I don't see any need for such a reaction.

Bygones?

2. mega1 profile image78

that was pretty good sarcasm there!

2. mega1 profile image78

ok then.  what's a pariah?  you mean an outsider?  I accept you completely!  does that ruin your score?  Haha  joke joke joke!

lol  don't you hate that?  when people insult you and then say joke joke joke?  I hate that.  But I'm trying not to hate.  seriously.  trying.

2. Haunty profile image74
              Hauntyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's the heat. wink

1. mega1 profile image78

but. but, it's not hot here?  smile  hmm  smile

3. profile image0

Are you calling me "catty," Mega?  How dare you!?   smile 

Like I said in another thread, I am such a mean girl. mad

P.S.  In case you don't know me well enough, I am not offended; I was just joking.

1. mega1 profile image78

no, you are not catty.  definitely not.  that's why I said I liked your real pic - or at least I think that's the real you - the pretty girl, better.  Some of us have to masquerade as kittens in order not to scare off friends.  You don't!  and that is not sarcasm.  it's trufe

1. profile image0

I wish I were as pretty as my kitty, but she has me beat. 

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4116/4891915614_003cbf89b6_s.jpg

See, I am actually human.

1. mega1 profile image78

oh.  ok then.

just kidding!  lol

7. alternate poet profile image67
      alternate poetposted 13 years ago

I hate to be sarcastic - but - some of the drivelling babble that gets posted is so inane and point-blank stupid that sarcasm is the only valid response.

What with castles in heaven spoken about, like, seriously, and with detailed descriptions etc, people screaming because Obama has TWO LEGS and goddamnit he WALKS as well so lets impeach him !!   what else is left other than sarcasm ??  you would want me to actually discuss these things with these strange people big_smile big_smile

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This.

8. Shadesbreath profile image78
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

"What's wrong with you?" and "Just Google it" aren't really sarcasm in my book.  Those comments, depending on context obviously, might come off as rude though. 

Some people just are rude, however, so whether they are doing it sarcastically or directly, that doesn't change the nature of human converstations.   

That said, since you can't control whether or not they "just move on" rather than leave annoying remarks, you can control how you perceive those remarks.  Just ignore people who aren't being civil, or that you feel aren't being civil regardless of their intent.  Easier to control what you can control than what you can't.

Good advice, much appreciated.

9. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

i am too sweet to ever use sarcasm

1. mega1 profile image78

reeeeeeeaaaaaallllllly!  Oh, suuuuuure.  I knew that!

2. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Greek, you have your moments! wink

10. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Wow, don't know what happened to bring this thread, but my take on sarcasm is this:

Sarcasm is a thin disguise for anger.

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
        Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It often does provide a civil, or seemingly-civil voice to outrage.  But it is also a tactical rhetorical option that can be effective in pointing out when an idea or concept (or person) has become so obstinantly entrenched in a bad policy or belief set that the only way to illuminate how illogical the grounds behind that idea or concept are is to do so with satire.  It's basically a tool to be used when reason and logic aren't working, a tipping upside down of the expected can sometimes get attention and results where rational arguments could not.

1. Rafini profile image82
          Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hehehe  I've noticed this, but usually it's coming from the person who's losing the argument which, to me, means they're attempting to disguise their anger - or not.

2. mega1 profile image78

I always interpret it as condescension and superiority - like older sisters - the way they say things like "you're really gonna wear THAT?"  and "sure, I really WANT to take you with me on my date!"  or "where did you GET that hairdo?"

11. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Yeah, what Shades said!

12. mega1 profile image78
      mega1posted 13 years ago

What about "BITE ME!"  is that considered sarcasm?  or am I getting off the track?

13. thisisoli profile image69
      thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Sometimes you just catch people in a bad mood. When I have had a bad day I say something along the lines of 'This information is in the FAQ' Not sarcastic, not particularly insulting, but not really as much help as I could have given either.

14. profile image0
      selrachposted 13 years ago

Time to bring out the video again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Mc7bTG3-c

1. Uninvited Writer profile image78
        Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I should join that, I can be quite sarky at times.

2. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I really, really love this video... lol

15. Uninvited Writer profile image78
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

All I can say is don't take what people say in a forum too personally.

16. qwark profile image62
      qwarkposted 13 years ago

I think there are times when sarcasm is appropriate. Don't you?
      Alt.Poet has it right.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)