Future Career

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (50 posts)
  1. Denise Handlon profile image85
    Denise Handlonposted 13 years ago

When you were a child what did you want to be when you 'grew up'.

Me: I used to play 'school' and wanted to be a teacher. (which I am not-I'm a nurse).

1. warchild75 profile image63
      warchild75posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wanted to be a policeman,dont think i would fancy that these days,i'll stick to fixing cars!!

Denise Handlonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile  true   Hey, I wonder if any of the hubbers is a police officer.

2. profile image0
    miolunaposted 13 years ago

I wanted to be a trainer as I was a gymnast

Hello mioluna--did you reach that goal?

3. Joe Badtoe profile image61
    Joe Badtoeposted 13 years ago

I wanted to be taller and older

both came true :-)

1. MPG Narratives profile image60
      MPG Narrativesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile

2. Denise Handlon profile image85

@ Joe - You are a funny man, LOL   Love it! 

What about YOU MPG??

4. richtwf profile image62
    richtwfposted 13 years ago

I wanted to be a professional tennis player.

5. Moxyl profile image71
    Moxylposted 13 years ago

I wanted to work in a candy shop so I can eat candies all day long smile

see my note posted below.   smile

6. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

I am not sure if this is weird - but I never had anything I wanted to be when I was a child.  I never even wanted to go any special place or do any special thing.  Maybe it was because I read a lot from my sister teaching me to read before I was five - she wanted to be a teacher, no tv or computer etc etc so teaching me became the game.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And it's interesting that you chose the name Alternate Poet because you are both an alternative to the traditional and poetic!  All that reading was not wasted!

7. Denise Handlon profile image85

So, the sidebar here should have been--and did you reach that goal or any part of it.

@Moxy--boy does that bring to my mind the Lucy episode of her working in the chocolate factory and eating all of the chocolates rolling down the line.  LOL

8. Lilybett profile image61
    Lilybettposted 13 years ago

I wanted/want to be a house wife, married with a family.. Still working towards that goal. on the way i'm becoming a fashion designer.. as a back up haha but my dream is to have children. It's odd because i wasn't brought up for that to be my main goal in life

Hope you achieve your goal.  Kids are a blast!

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
        couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have a friend who says "if I knew having kids was going to be this much fun, I could've saved a lot of money on drugs."

9. mrfluffy profile image60
    mrfluffyposted 13 years ago

I wanted to be a jockey, but when I hit 6’1” at eleven, I had to try a few other things. At forty-three   I still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

That's funny--Hey, I wanted to be a jockey at one time in my life as well. (seriously), but that was in the day when girls weren't jockeys.  Until the first came along...first name Robin, can't recall her last name.  Oh well. I still enjoy horses.

10. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

I wanted to be a dancer and a singer. None of it came true. I never wanted to be married with children. I have 3 of them! Talk about irony of life!

That's funny--I never wanted to be a nurse and ended up putting in 25 yrs so far...Yeah, life and its irony, what can you do?? LOL

11. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 13 years ago

I wanted to be a writer ever since the 4th grade when I won a local writing contest.  The accolades and attention I received really did a number on my ego back then...lol  But then life happened, high school, military, college, family etc. I got excited about writing back in 95' when one of my screenplays took 2nd place in a regional contest and later optioned for quite a few pennies. It was never produced but that's all it took to ignite that passion for writing again.

Cool!

12. Gordon Hamilton profile image94
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 13 years ago

I wanted various things in my latter childhood but have been assured by far too many family members and friends of the family for it not to be true that I had three ambitions as a pre-schooler. I don't recall it but apparently I wanted to be one of the following:

1) An astronaut (what little boy in the 70's didn't!)

2) A Church of Scotland Minister (because apparently I thought that my working week consisted of getting up in the pulpit and talking about God for an hour every Sunday morning!)

3) A burglar (this one was never explained!!!)

These were all when I was under the age of five, so I suppose that it is little wonder I became a full time writer. At least I've always had an imagination! smile

PS - Apparently my grandmothers in particular used to hate me being asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. "Burglar," was a rarely anticipated answer...

13. Denise Handlon profile image85

@ Gordon H--How funny (burglar).  That beats out my wanting to be a HOBO at age 9.  Although my mom laughed I had a perfectly good explanation--you got to travel around seeing places, sleeping outdoors, and enjoying the fruits of everyone's labor--I envisioned me 'picking' veg and fruit off of people's property (w/o getting caught of course). 

My mom tried to explain that it was considered trespassing and stealing, but I didn't see it that way.

I haven't gotten to the 'hobo' part, but I have been around as a travel nurse, so I guess that comes close.  smile

There's been some very interesting responses here along with some twists in fate.

14. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 13 years ago

That's funny.  I wanted to be a hobo, too.  Also a singer, dancer, philosopher, shill, gun moll, actor, call girl, oh and my favorite to this day - cat burgler or super spy.

Wow! That is funny...we could have been on the road together.  Oh, yes, and I also wanted to be a mom (which I am), a ballerina (which I was for awhile), a jockey, a cowgirl, a gypsy (THAT I HAVE BEEN travelling around all over), a priest (go figure) and a nun! (glad that never happened). 

cat burglar--see Gordon Hamilton's post above.  You two could have made a team!  LOL

15. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

I wanted to be a nun like Sister Maria in The Sound of Music.
    On some unconscious level, tho, I must have also wanted the hot Captain Von Trapp. *Christopher Plummer -- hubba hubba*

Oh, MM--I just mentioned that in a reply to CPCafe, hahaha.  I remember that movie.  I enjoyed it, BUT as you probably recall, she left the sisterhood for motherhood. 

I wanted to be like Sally Field in the FLying Nun.

16. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

i wanted to stay at home like my mum
    been at home for seven months now and just got a job- too much of a good thing

That's funny...or is it?   smile   or   sad    ?       It's a hard choice-stay at home or work.

17. Denise Handlon profile image85

Anyone else interested in adding their 'what I wanted to be when I grow up' information?

18. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

My brother was an altar boy and he used to "give us communion" with Necco wafers!!

I wanted to be a carpenter age 10.

Later a singer- which I still want to be. American Idol take me! smile

that's interesting about the brother/alter boy.  We used to play church and communion too with those same wafers, lol lol

Do you sing anywhere now???  church or band?

19. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I wanted to teach~ yes

help others~ yes

own a bookstore~ not yet [even working in one would be fun]

20. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

My mother told me that when I was very young, I always talked about being one of two things: a flight attendant or a nun. Thankfully, neither one panned out. smile

That's interesting...YOU could have been the flying nun (flight) attendant, lol

21. Denise Handlon profile image85

Anyone else out there that wants to confess their early career dreams?

22. timorous profile image82
    timorousposted 13 years ago

I recall wanting to be a disk jockey at a rock and roll radio station.  I was too timorous though. sad

Funny.  smile    Well, what about now???  Never too late.  smile

1. timorous profile image82
        timorousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nah..not interested.  Most rock radio sucks..too narrowly formatted. mad

lol

23. Denise Handlon profile image85

What a bummer--of all the thousands of hubbers and whatever number happen to follow the forums, only 20 people (myself included of course) have answered this question.  Disappointing.

24. timorous profile image82
    timorousposted 13 years ago

That's unfortunate, Denise.  I guess they're too embarrassed to admit to any childhood dreams, or they can't remember.

Of course there's nothing stopping anyone from making something up or being wildly inventive...

25. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 13 years ago

Just wanted to be a teacher... Never was a regular one.. just on and off.

26. Denise Handlon profile image85

Thanks timorous for your support.  smile

Sofs-that's cool.  Actually, that was what I originally wanted to do. I think I may still do it after I retire from my job.  I always thought I'd be teaching somewhere for the Peace Corps.

27. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 13 years ago

That's awesome, I love to teach..somehow Never ended up doing that.. but now when I get an opportunity to teach I never let go...
    May be some day, I just want to read stories to little kids, just to make it more amusing and lively...I dream on...

28. Denise Handlon profile image85

I LOVE reading stories to little kids.  It's one of my favorite things to do.  In fact, my daughter, who is an elementary school teacher, has invited me to her school on several occasions to play 'story lady'.  I always enjoy it (and the fact that her students don't know that I'm her mom...and then, after they find out they just are 'amazed' that Mrs. A has a mom...hahaha.  You know how kids don't see teachers outside of the classroom as having other lives!)

29. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 13 years ago

That is so cute... I wish I could be there with you... smile
    Kids are so cute... love em..

Me too.  Having fun visiting my grandkids and kids this Halloween w/e.  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)