Do you know anyone with Emetophobia-The fear of vomiting?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Jenniferfields10 profile image61
    Jenniferfields10posted 14 years ago

I've had a severe and crippling case of emetophobia for 30 years. Although I've found a disturbingly high concentration of people like me in Europe, I'm curious to see how many people in the U.S. suffer from this affliction. I'd also like to know if they got over it and how.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i think i have that.

i will go to any length to avoid throwing up, even if i know it will make me feel better. if i see it on tv omgsh....just the other day i was watching 'space cowboys' and close-up shot a guy starts blowing chunks all over it about made me die, blechh.

2. fishtiger58 profile image68
      fishtiger58posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am 51 and don't think I will ever get over it. I simply don't want to be around it or have anything to do with it. However when I was younger and was going to start a family, I asked my mom what I was going to do about this problem and she told me that when it's your kid it's different. And she was right, I was so upset that my kid was sick that I just wanted to help him and I dealt with the fact that he was vomiting. I still was very uncomfortable but when it's your kid it seems to take a less important role. When my hubby is sick however I sleep on the couch.

1. profile image51
        jensheart110377posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Me too!  Our son vomited for the first time about 2 weeks ago, he is 3. And I found myself staying in the room with him, but making a loud, "Ooh" sound every time he did it. My husband said to me, "honey, you can't do that, you will scare him"  So just when I thought that I was doing a good thing by staying, I felt that I still looked like more of an idiot than my usual running out of the room, or the house for that matter. I pace downstairs when my husband is getting sick and I turn the dryer on. My head and heart wants to help him but I physically can't move.. It's awful..

1. profile image0
          cosetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you know what's strange... i can't stand the sight or sound of people vomiting but when my son was two, he had pneumonia really bad. so i was sitting on the couch about to take his temperature and he projectile vomited all over me and i didn't even flinch. which proves these phobias are all in the mind. i still can't stand the idea of vomiting and haven't in years. i cringe at the thought of Ancient Rome and their vomitoriums yikes gaaah!

3. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

yup. I got over it when I was pregnant, and had sever morning sickness. I threw up a minimum of 7 times a day every day for the entire nine months. Most days it was more. I was hospitalized twice due to dehydration, at the beginning of my pregnancy, I lost 15 pounds...I learned to choose what to eat based on how bad I knew it would hurt coming back up.
      Since then, I am not so worried about it. I still hate it, but the fear is gone. I honestly didnt know anybody else was deathly afraid of vomit....I thought I was just wierd...I guess I got lucky, sort of, I dont have any ideas how I would have gotten over it wihtout the whole pregnancy thing. sorry.

1. profile image51

This is my 2nd pregnancy and I was actually hoping to have morning sickness, and never did. I actually idolize people who do have it and can function, because to me, throwing up is the worst possible thing that can happen ever!

4. profile image51

Hi, I'm 32 years old and am emetephobic. I haven't vomited in 26 years. It's an awful feeling, to have something like vomit take over your life.

5. profile image49
      Panicposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Contrary to the popular misperception, emetophobia is not at all uncommon. It is, in fact, the sixth most common phobia. Given this fact, it really is surprising how little this fear is discussed.

2. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

What kind of problem is it?

1. Jenniferfields10 profile image61
      Jenniferfields10posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The fear of vomiting.

3. fishtiger58 profile image68
    fishtiger58posted 14 years ago

Omg, is that what it's called. I call it pukeaphobia. I have run out of schools and churches and home when someone is vomiting. I don't want to hear it, see it, smell it, and certainly don't want to clean it up. Thought I was the only one in the world with this problem.

1. profile image51

Nope, i have it too, although I can clean it and see it after. I did stay w/ my son when he threw up for the 1st time 2 weeks ago, he is 3. I was TERRIFIED but I knew that I couldn't leave him.. But like you, I have run out of many places, people looking at me funny.. It's so embarassing!

4. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I thought you got a queasy feeling and you knew it was time to head to the head. I never really had a choice if it was coming it was coming.

My wife has a weak stomach. One time I was driving along and I sneezed and blew snot all over the steering wheel. My wife threw-up. Well I stoped and cleaned the truck and was ready to start over. We drove about two miles and she threw up again! I said what now and she said she thought about it again!

1. Sara Tonyn profile image59
      Sara Tonynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's really gross but it's also hilarious! lol lol lol

5. Greg Cremia profile image60
    Greg Cremiaposted 14 years ago

I had a friend who felt sick to his stomach so he put his finger down his throat to induce vomiting. He tore his esophagus while throwing up. He was on steroids and his tissues were too thin to handle the pressure.

The stomach bile leaked onto his internal organs and killed him.

I have always done whatever it took to avoid vomiting and after this I feel justified in doing so.

6. easybusinesslinks profile image59
    easybusinesslinksposted 14 years ago

I can understand how someone would fear being pukey, all them chunks bursting forth from your stomach and spraying out your nose and mouth, I was sick on my birthday a few weeks ago, not fun at all!

7. Michaelle profile image59
    Michaelleposted 13 years ago

Hi Jennifer,
                   I used to feel that way, but there are a number of effective cures for this. The best is an acupressure treatment. Place your thumb on the inside of your wrist and measure about 4 thumb widths up the arm, sliding your thumb up and holding it there. It is in the midle of the inside of the arm. ( 4 - 5 inches from the wrist fold)
          Now press very firmly and hold for a slow count of 30. Repeat on the other arm. Then repeat both. This works.

I recommend obtaining a small handbook on acupressure for more tips and to see exactly where the point I have referred you to here is
    (it is called the Heart Governor/Constrictor/Pericardium/ no 6)
          Best wishes!

8. lelliottxx profile image58
    lelliottxxposted 13 years ago

<snipped link - do not promote your hubs in the forums>

i know excacily how you feel hmm

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)