A Music Capsule?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image0
    TransScribblerposted 13 years ago

What are the chances of HP adding a music capsule? There are some hubs that I would like to be able to add music to, rather than having to include a video clip.
    What do we think, Hubbers?

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pages that play music are one of the most widely reviled web features to the Internet public to the point where search engines rank down pages that do so.  HubPages needs to steer clear of anything that smacks of it.

On the music file source side of things that don't auto-play, it's a copyright nightmare and an extreme server burden.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

I would love to see that.

The problem is that HubPages does not want to host audio and video, this is because of copyright concerns. They want to use embedding, which is possible with YouTube. The closest thing for streaming audio only would be podcasting sites.

1. profile image0
      TransScribblerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh well! I will still put it on my list for Santa this year smile

2. camlo profile image86
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The thing about using YouTube videos is that they often stop working. If I didn't check my music Hubs every now and then, I think I'd hardly have a working video on them. So, I've often wondered why we couldn't have a more convenient 'audio capsule' as well as the option of using embedded videos (there's obviously no problem with my own videos) ... but your answer explains everything WE. Things would get very complicated indeed for HP.

3. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Sorry - not a big fan of the idea.

In my mind, pages with music take longer to load and are annoying.

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A capsule with streaming audio, similar to YouTube videos, does not create "pages with music." The audio does not load until the player is clicked upon. Auto play and auto repeat should definitely not be allowed.

1. WryLilt profile image87
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Alright, that sounds better. Still not a huge fan though. smile

However I personally don't listen to music, something that everyone else seems to do.... so am probably in the minority!

1. profile image0
          Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They could also be used for text read out loud. But I respect your opinion.

4. saleheensblog profile image61
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

I would love it as I love music. We get videos from youtube but what will be the source of music?

5. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

People will want to upload music files themselves, but HubPages isn't going to allow that. So the source will be podcast and free music sites that generate the HTML code needed to create embedded players. Same principle as YouTube.

6. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

Creating mini music videos is not that hard to do. From there, it's easy to post on youtube and then embed into a hub. It's more interesting than just a music file playing. If you do choose to create a music video, make sure you're not violating any copyrights for that piece of music, or even in many cases, the performers. Copyright violations are a HUGE issue on the internet. And as a composer/songwriter, I'm keenly aware of just how devastating copyright infringements can be.

The easiest answer for including music in hubs is simply to go to youtube, find a piece of music you like there and embed it in your hub. If you have an original composition of your own that you want to include, then create the music video yourself. As I said above, it's not that difficult.

7. Peggy W profile image96
    Peggy Wposted 13 years ago

Interesting idea but am sure that the copyright laws would be the prime concern.

8. SimeyC profile image89
    SimeyCposted 13 years ago

There is an Amazon 'widget' that allows for a 'sample' of a song, or a list of songs to be played - for me this would make hubs where I am reviewing a band a lot better, and also allow me to 'sell' the song by giving a free sample.

1. camlo profile image86

A license isn't required for a sample?

1. SimeyC profile image89
        SimeyCposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As it's an amazon capsule that you can get from their affiliate site, Amazon are the ones who have to deal with the license issues - the Amazon capsule can be embedded in a web site - it would have to be changed for Hubpages though....

1. camlo profile image86

Sorry, realised exactly what you meant after I'd posted my last message.
          Yes, that wouldn't be a bad idea. Sometimes I'd like to include a song on a Hub that doesn't have a video on YouTube, so that would be a good alternative.

9. GmaGoldie profile image81
    GmaGoldieposted 13 years ago

I agree with SimeyC - the Amazon capsule could be modified to include the Amazon widget for the "sample" song.  This would be a big help to Amazon and to the reader.  Great ideal SimeyC.  It clears us of copyright but allows another tool for communication.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)