Would you go without makeup for even a day?

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (51 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Amie Warrenposted 13 years ago

I used to think I wouldn't do it, but now I do it a lot. I used to get up every morning, have a cup of coffee, shower and do my hair and makeup. I was always dressed, never slouched around in sweats unless I was sick.

When I first was left with nothing, no job, the first thing to go was the makeup. When I looked at what was essential, it just wasn't. I pared down to a good face powder, blush, lipstick and mascara. Now I regularly go out sans makeup and don't feel self-conscious at all. A lot of people who see me tell me I look healthy...well duh! You can actually see my skin!

I would have never thought I could live without being made up and dressed to the nines, but I'm so much happier now not being obsessed with my looks.

1. TamCor profile image81
      TamCorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's so funny that what you've pared down to is more than I have ever worn all of my life, haha! big_smile

I never could stand lipstick or powder--it felt suffocating to me, lol...I know--I'm weird...lol

Now I have to hunt down mascara if I need it for a special occasion, otherwise I never put anything on my face but soap and water--and it's SO nice, lol.  big_smile

2. Mikeydoes profile image44
      Mikeydoesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Girls without make up are a much bigger turn on, to me at least. I never liked make up and actually a lot of the time make up makes me throw up a little in my mouth! Keep it up and I hope more girls get the memo.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image61
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think you can look beautiful without make up..
      but if it makes you more confident, should be good. 

I don't wear make up, but sometimes I like to learn how to do it too.

4. JosiePosie76 profile image61
      JosiePosie76posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I get up at 5 a.m. every day....  Then I take the kiddo to band practice....  Off to work after that...  Then pick kiddo up from school...then to football practice he goes....  Then supper...and some days it's band..and football...  I go without makeup ALL the time.....lol  Just not enough time in a day....  Ya know...  smile

5. Bredavies profile image60
      Bredaviesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hardly ever wear make up! Until now..I am breaking out and I need to hide these pimples. sad

6. jillfil0 profile image59
      jillfil0posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Makeup only enhances beauty!

7. DjBryle profile image68
      DjBryleposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes I always do! I only put on make up during special occasions. It helps my skin breath freely. All that I use regularly are soap, water and a moisturizer...  and a dab of loose baby powder when my skin feels oily. smile

2. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

The only makeup I ever wear is blusher and highlighter, so it wouldn't make a vast difference if I went without.

I have tried wearing full-on warpaint in the past but it made me look like a drag queen on day release from the local mental health facility.  Some women just don't suit makeup, and I'm one of them.

3. Joy56 profile image68
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

yes makeup takes second or even third place in my life now.....

4. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

i like to get into the wife's stash now and again. I play dress up. wink i can never get those thongs on right tho'. hehe

1. Denise Handlon profile image86
      Denise Handlonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL

5. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

@ ralwus ... lols big_smile

As for me - yes. Often. You can't improve on the being green smile

1. MPG Narratives profile image60
      MPG Narrativesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lols to ralwus and frogdropping. big_smile

6. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

No....I needs my make up

7. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

I never wear makeup, unless I'm going to something fancy
    sometimes If I'm in the mood, I wear some:
    mascara, eye shadow (eye liner sometimes) lip gloss, and a bit of foundation.

8. Bail Up ! profile image60
    Bail Up !posted 13 years ago

My first recollection of wearing makeup was when an Avon lady came knocking on my door years ago to offer a free makeup consultation. When I looked in the mirror I looked like raggedy ann. From then on the bare minimal for the ocassion as far as I'm concerned. Practically Nude on a daily basis.

9. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

I'm not a big fan of makeup. I only wear a little bit in the morning because my face looks like crap when I'm half asleep.

10. relache profile image74
    relacheposted 13 years ago

I wore a bit of makeup daily when was in high school (mostly eyeliner, after all it was the New Wave years...) but once I went to college and majored in costuming, I stopped.  Learning just what went into cosmetics and learning how badly they thrash your skin turned me off to it.  Of course, when I chose to "dress up" I have the ability to do as subtle or elaborate a makeup job as I wish, and at a near-professional caliber too.

11. profile image0
    Wendi Mposted 13 years ago

I began wearing makeup at 13 years old...Ironically that was the same year I began drinking alcoholically.  It seems all my insecurities surfaced at the same time.

I spent 30 years drinking while perfectly coiffed.

I quit drinking 4 years ago, and (again) ironically, that is when I stopped wearing makeup...I have never felt better or prettier, and my self-esteem is completely intact.

LOL, I am sitting here typing this post and reading it to my husband at the same time.  Without a beat he says "Wearing makeup makes you drink!"

12. IdiditAlready profile image61
    IdiditAlreadyposted 13 years ago

My wife rarely wears make up except when we go out.  She's gorgeous. 

I like the natural look except when we go out.  A little eye liner, lipstick and (under eye stuff) just adds the BLING to the night.

ONE!

13. Lifeallstar1 profile image61
    Lifeallstar1posted 13 years ago

I go without make up most of the time. Its ok if I'm going out to a club or something but even then I might where a little eye make up. I'm more obsessed with my hair. Love playing around with it!

14. lakeerieartists profile image64
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

I almost never wear makeup anymore.  I don't really see the difference that much.  Occasionally for a very fancy night, then only a little bit.  smile

15. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Doesn't anybody on here like make-up?   :mad"   lol

I've been wearing make-up since I was 16.  About what Amie said she'd pared down to (so it isn't "drag queen" kind of make-up, by any means).  I honestly think that wearing a light foundation with a suncreen helped fight of sun damage. 

If I'm home I don't wear make-up (unless someone is coming, in which case I may put on a little lipstick or maybe just a little blush (that type of thing) - or else, not.  It depends on who's coming.

When I go out I always wear it.  Back when I first got divorced and had my life messed up because of it, my thing was that I wasn't going to let it take away that "basic person" I've always been (which is someone who has always worn some make-up and never "dressed like a slob".  I don't walk around in "office clothes" or anything like that, but I have wanted to "hang onto" the "me" that didn't want to end up wearing no make-up, slugging around in sweats (or whatever my version of "sweats" would be), etc.  I'll be honest.  When I was in the midst of the divorce (and the anger directed at me because of it), there were people who probably wished I (as a person) would "disappear".  There were people who wanted to see me destroyed.  (Not many, but there were a couple.)  There was a person or two who would have liked nothing better than for me to be like them (no make-up, no work, sloppy clothes, etc. etc.).  My thing was I wasn't about to let those people see me  turn into what would have made them happy.  (Why did these couple of people want the me I was "destroyed"?  Either because they wanted me to pay for leaving a marriage they thought I should leave, or because they had always been just a little on the envious side and kind of delighted on seeing me lose what I had.)  So, 19 years later, I'm still me, wearing my same make-up, trying to look my nicest, having nice nails, wearing a nice scent, the whole bit.   On those times when money was an issue (I've never spent big money on make-up anyway, but I didn't buy cheapie brands either), I just started using the cheapie brands.  If you're careful they can be fine.

Some people can get away without wearing make-up.  I'm fair skinned, blue-eyed, and pale.  I need that little bit of color to make me look more lively.

1. Lifeallstar1 profile image61
      Lifeallstar1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lisa, I'm sure you're beautiful inside and out! I think it boils down to what we grew up with. Even though I have never been that much into make up, I'm always picking out what I'm going to wear, I spend time doing my hair, my nails, and I wear perfume(or scents) not all the time but most. I definitely like to look nice. I think that is what make up is for some people, as well. I see girls my age wearing less than my relatives did growing up. I see pictures of them and I'm surprised how much make up they had on to go to school. It was like the amount I had to wear when I was doing competitive cheerleading! My relatives said (the women) that make up was just part of getting ready. They still wear it but they don't wear as much as they used to. I wear creams with sun screen but just not foundation. My mother says she grew up wearing foundation every day starting in her teen years and for me not to until I really need to...whatever that means..LOL. I wonder if it's just something that when you have done it for a while you feel naked without it and that is why it feels awkward not wearing it for some people. I think whatever makes one feel good they should do. :-)

1. profile image0
        Amie Warrenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Seriously, southern women wear more makeup than northern women. Don't have a clue why, because it literally melts off our faces in the summer. I used to have to carry a HUGE purse just to get my makeup kit in it. I would redo my makeup a couple of times a day just to look "fresh". 

I really look better WITH makeup. My eyelashes are blonde, and my eyes literally sink back into my head with no mascara or liner, but I don't care anymore.  I heard that my ex told one of my old friends that I had really "gone downhill", and he told him that he thought I looked radiant and very beautiful.

16. PegCole17 profile image94
    PegCole17posted 13 years ago

In the late 70s I was selected to be a hair model for a salon where I worked. There was a fashion show and certain stylists lined us up and made us up quite thoroughly. When I looked in the mirror I couldn't believe what I looked like. Yikes! Couldn't wait to wash it off. Clowns would have been envious.

I still apply sunscreen daily and foundation for certain occasions but it is so much nicer to feel clean and natural. Besides I save about an hour of prep time from my daily schedule.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lifeallstart, thanks,you may have a point about people getting used to wearing make-up.  I feel horrible without.  My face doesn't like the air hitting it.  lol  I think, though, it has to do with a person's coloring.  My daughter is pale, pale, white-skinned; but she has dark brown eyes.  She looks great without make-up.  I, on the other hand, am the one who gave my daughter's the Irish-person complexion; and my light eyes just disappear.  Make-up can make my eyes look decent.  No-make-up makes them invisible.  I just like "decent' better.   smile  I just feel more awake with a little make-up on.

Amie, I think you may have a point,  I live in the North, and there are very few days each year when make-up "falls off" because of the heat and humidity.

Of course, I was raised hearing this from my mother:  "Oh, sure.  Men are attracted to you when you dress nicely and have make-up on, and then once you get married they start to say, 'Do you have to wear that?'.  So,  little by little you stop wearing nail polish and stop wearing make-up, and then, next thing you know, they go out and find a woman who wears make-up and dresses up."  (To the best of my knowledge, my father didn't have time for that; but I know my mother resented being made to feel like he didn't think a little make-up was attractive, because she said it made her feel nicer to wear it.)  I don't blame her either.  In pictures of her when she was single and working she looked like she could be in those forties classic movies.  I've often wondered if one reason men don't like their girlfriends and wives to wear a little make-up is that thing about not wanting other men looking at them.   mad  (My mother said my father would say, "It doesn't look right on a mother."   mad       lol  Maybe my mother brainwashed me.   lol  )

17. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 13 years ago

My mom never wears makeup, so I never really learned how to apply it, and never really feel the need for it either. I think it's fun to play with, but I only wear it a few times a year. (And at least one of those is Halloween!) I'm sure somebody like relache with professional skills could do something nice, but my random experimentation has never really found a combination of makeup that looks better on my face than my real face does. tongue

18. Diane Inside profile image73
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

Make-up wouldn't help me. So why bother.

19. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

I refuse to go out in public without at least mascara and lipstick. And of course my MM cape big_smile.
    Except when camping -- the one time I blissfully go au naturelle.

20. Scribenet profile image61
    Scribenetposted 13 years ago

I buy makeup and different colours of lipstick and then hardly ever wear any of them, except the natural ones...lol

21. bottle profile image58
    bottleposted 13 years ago

I prefer to makeup myself cuz i will be more confident after making up. so i am very happy  to going out .

22. Sunny Robinson profile image70
    Sunny Robinsonposted 13 years ago

I actually go without make up everyday.  Every now and then, I will throw on an eyeliner, some eyeshadow, and chapstick.  I think it gives a certain tone to the day.  Wearing make up means I'm expecting company, want to go out, or getting ready to go all professional for a meeting or a job.  And even then, it is bare minimal.

I agree with relache; even while I have no professionalism in cosmetics, I fully believe make up does more harm than good to people's skin.

23. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 13 years ago

Got to whack it on it is a habit feel naked without it

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/1261478_f248.jpg

1. jillfil0 profile image59
      jillfil0posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You could have at least used the one where she shaved her head!  LOL!

24. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

There have been a couple of real emotional times in my life where wearing make-up seemed like a big hassle if all I was going to do was cry it right back off.  So, during those times, I often went without and it became a habit.  I realized I had gotten into a rut and longed to feel prettier again.  I'm back to wearing a foundation and a bit of eyeliner.  I might spruce that up with some Burt's Bees colored lip balm.  I've never been a mascara person.

25. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I never wear any make up anymore.  I feel ridiculous in it now.  The other day I went to an event and put on some lipstick - on the way I wiped it all off!  Just can't wear makeup now.

26. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

you'd look silly anyway with that finger up there like that. hehe

1. mega1 profile image79
      mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just do that for special picture-taking occasions.  really.

I'm a natural beauty - also have natural curly hair - I don't need any improving with makeup!  But I can see why a lot of the other hubbers here (men and women) could use a bit more makeup.  Just to make themselves less scary!  No, I take that back, we should all just be ourselves, and accept each other, no matter how scary it gets!

1. blondepoet profile image67
        blondepoetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What a women you are.....
        What self esteem....
        I love to hear a woman talk like this......proud, bold, strong.
        Love ya Megs xoxox.
        P.s All women take note don't underestimate your beauty. Go girls.

27. Jeff Berndt profile image74
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

I go without makeup all the time.

smile

1. blondepoet profile image67
      blondepoetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And it suits you wonderfully.

28. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

No, I need to have my make up damn it!

29. Fashion Lover profile image60
    Fashion Loverposted 13 years ago

I didn't wear makeup until I went to college but I only put on some foundation and blush.  That's about it. I didn't even wear mascara! To this day, I have never worn an eyeliner or an eye shadow. I just don't feel comfortable with the thought of putting them on becuase it would be "too much". Yet, I see almost every girl out there wearing them and they look amazing! So I'm trying to be brave and experiement with make up more :-)

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

some girls don't need it. and if that's you on the link you provided in your profile, you are one of them. gorgeous. I enjoyed looking at your blog.
      welcome to HP. smile

1. Fashion Lover profile image60
        Fashion Loverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much! This is my first time being on hubpages and I'm loving it! :-)

30. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 13 years ago

Other than some lipstick I hardly wear any makeup..I have not seriously looked into the mirror for some time... used to be so high on make up when I was in my teens.. I wonder what happened.. just grew out of it I guess!  sad

31. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

f*** makeup!
    (sorry that's the George Carlin in me talking!)

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/3926173_f248.jpg

32. ponx profile image80
    ponxposted 13 years ago

Yes I would certainly!I don't like make up.

2 reasons:

1. Natural beauty with smart outfits looks more sober.
    2. Make up spoils your skin.

33. Denise Handlon profile image86
    Denise Handlonposted 13 years ago

I don't wear make up.  If I do get 'made up' I'll put some mascara and lipstick on.  Out here in the boonies there aren't too many opportunities to get dressed up.  But, I prefer no makeup.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)