Thinking About Leaving

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (42 posts)
  1. Cordale profile image71
    Cordaleposted 13 years ago

So let me sum up my hubpage experience. I read up for about a week on how to accomplish goals and get traffic and make money on hubpages and was ready for the challenge. And quite excited to say the least!

So I did some keyword research and hit on a topic that I found successful and got 6,000-7,000 views a day to my hubs within 3 weeks of being here.

So I should be making money right? WRONG. You guys say you are supposed to make 2-5$ per 1,000 impressions? Well.. I was making around .40$ per 1000 impressions.

To top it all off I constantly asked for help on these forums and sent private emails to respectable members and got NO help and NO replies.

I cant stand but to think I deserve to make some money for these impressions I've amassed.

Would I be wrong to switch platforms?

I love you guys at HubPages and still believe you guys are up there with the best just not sure if I'm a good fit!

It's not you it's me! haha

Just curious if anyone out there has an opinion that could help me.

1. thisisoli profile image70
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The value you get per 1000 views is dependant on your topic, but I definitely wouldn't move to another platform.  Getting traffic to Hubpages is way easier the easy than other sites in my experience, and the Amazon modules save you a huge amount of time.

If you don't have any Amazon modules up yet, you should definitely get some up there, Christmas is coming and you will see an increase in profits.

I wouldn't get downhearted just yet, as Ryan said, it takes time for Hubs to mature.  You seem to have found a good niche, now you just need to exploit it.  It might even be worthwhile buying a domain which compliments your hubs!

$2 - $5 is an average per thousand views, the easier the traffic is to get, the more chance there is that you will get less per click. By the sounds of it you are not doing too badly though, especially for someone relatively new to the game. I would definitely stick with it!

Cordaleposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks buddy. You are my referrer so I'm sure I've made you a few bucks these past few weeks! wink

I added Amazon Capsules. 260 clicks. 0 Purchases. I'm not complaining about this though because I'm not TRYING to sell products.

Your saying take time for my hubs to mature..? They are mainly all number one for the keyword I tried to get.

Buying a domain is a new game for me and not quite sure if I'm ready to go down that rode yet! Still trying to get my first paycheck!

2. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know about emails. But here are the forum threads that you have started:

1. (8 posts)
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/51320

2. (7 posts)
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/52418

3. (9 posts)
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/52447

4. (4 posts)
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/52566

5. (16 posts)
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/52807

6. (6 posts)
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/53048

7. (4 posts)
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/53411

8. (2 posts)
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/53629

9. (4 posts)
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/55376

10. (10 posts)
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/54568

11. (6 posts)
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/55040

12. (8 posts)
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/55409

I don't see the problem. You always received a reply. You could have been happy with the replies you received. You could have shown appreciation.

2. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Well, firstly, your hubs haven't even been given long enough to mature.

My hubs dont reach their full earnings potential for at least 6 months!

Secondly, you need to learn how to select keywords for your titles and subtitles. You have full control over how much you earn per 1000 impressions, but you do need to learn how to optimise.

There are some fantastic hubs on the topic. Start with this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJIAh9uCt4c

I chose all competitive keywords with 1,500 + google traffic a day and got to #1 using the strategies I learned here at HubPages. Not only that but I believe I had the best page for the keywords to start with!

And explain to me how hubs earn more after 6 months even when they are already at the top of the search engines?

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you sure?  You do know that Google tailors its search results to suit the individual, so what you see isn't the same as what everyone else sees?

WryLilt has a good point - if you're getting good traffic but the ads aren't relevant, you won't make money because the readers have no reason to click on ads. 

The same goes for Amazon - you have to pick your product with care, so your Hub is virtually selling what is in the capsule. For instance, if I was writing about the Black Madonna of Tenerife, I wouldn't feature books on travel, books on Europe or even books on Tenerife - I'd look for books specifically on the Madonna.  Nothing else will sell.

I've tried to deal out all of the bad ads I was getting. I actually dedicated an entire day to it. There are literally too many. The more I took out the worser the ones that came up.

My amazon product picks couldn't have been better. But thanks for the input smile

By the way I loved reading your hubs! It's you guys who helped me get this initial success in the first place!

It's not a question of weeding out the bad ads.  You can do that to some extent, but if they're replaced with worse ones then the problem is with your Hubs, not the ads.

There are two possibilities - one is that you don't use your keywords enough, so Google can't work out what your Hub is about and therefore serves irrelevant ads.  The other is that there are no Adsense advertisers relevant to your subject.  You can fix the first one, but you can't do much about the second.

My problem is the latter. I wrote very well for my keyword "credit farming". However my keyword phrase has the word credit in it making it vulnerable to 100% ads on credit scores.. credit numbers.. improving your credit..

So yeah, not much control there.

According to the Google keyword tool, practically NO ONE is searching for the term "credit farming" - so although you may be getting good traffic, it's possible you're not attracting the readers you want.

Personally I'd be cutting back on the use of the word "credit" and focussing on "tips".  There are 14,800 searches for "Halo tips" but almost no competition - which sounds good but could mean there are no advertisers!  However, there are a couple of "tips" books on Amazon that would be worth offering.

I don't believe that is updated. Halo Reach came out last month and here are my keyword search finds.
                  halo reach credit farming :6,594
                  halo reach credits :3,105
                  credit farming halo reach :1,176
                  halo reach farming :725
                  halo reach fast credits :683
                  credit farming in halo reach :539
                  halo reach credit farm :449
                  halo reach credit :408
                  reach credit farming :398
                  halo reach farming credits :319
                  how to farm credits in halo reach :297
                  halo reach credits farming :297

So people aren't searching for credit farming?

2. thisisoli profile image70
        thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your hubs will slowly gain in the rankings for keywords other than those which you chose.  This will get you more traffic and more earnings.

If your current kywords aren't earning anything try putting yourself in the mind of someone who would search for those words on Google.

Are you looking for information, or are you looking to buy something?

Are you the kind of person who would click on an advertisement?

After you have read the information on your page will you still be looking for more information?

Etc.

If you put yourself in the readers shoes you may be able to increase sales, and clicks.

3. Diane Inside profile image74
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

Hi, I tend to agree with them, let your hubs mature a bit before you make that decision.  Maturity does matter.

You seem to have found a good topic for a lot of views but that doesn't mean anything if the views are from people who don't click on the ads.

I'd try and find another way to address your niche, but encourage clicks to relavant material.

I don't know the solution, other than just trial and error.  But give it time.

4. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

40 cents is more then I EVER made. I am sorry I do not have good advice, but it looks to me people are trying to help. I think its a good idea to wait, give it some more time. Patience is hard, but it usally pays off in the end.  Oh, yeah..  "Its not you, its me." Thats was way funny.  lol

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Is all that traffic going to your Halo hubs?

Some guy earlier had the same experience with his Capcom hubs.

The conclusion reached on that thread was that gamers don’t click gamer ads.

Even more importantly, a second conclusion was reached:

Blissfully redirect all that traffic to your other hubs.

No guarantees, but it’s worth a shot! smile

Yeah, I've interlinked them all and get around 2,000 HubPage traffic per day because of all of link clicking between my hubs.

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Not that I gonna cry big_smile

Aww Thanks Misha!

7. nocreditneeded profile image60
    nocreditneededposted 13 years ago

I'm not sure that this is entirely on topic, but I think it's at least a little bit on topic. Clickthrough rates are higher for people who search for phrases that include the words "how to" and "best." Get a higher clickthrough rate on your ads, and you make more money. Hope that helps.

8. Whitney05 profile image84
    Whitney05posted 13 years ago

You just have to give the hubs time to mature before you really start to see the income.

paradigmsearch is right, if you're getting most of your traffic to the gaming hubs, you're not going to see substantial adsense revenue. Some of my best trafficked hubs are gaming hubs, like halo.

Do give it some more time before deciding what you're going to do. If you quit without giving it time, then that's up to you.

9. xobliam profile image60
    xobliamposted 13 years ago

I've only been here for a week and likely don't qualify as the best advice but I think what's happening in your case is that you get lots of traffic from a few people interested in the one or two topics you cover.

When I personally find a site I like and return often I usually never click the ads. At least not after the initial visit.

I'd die for seven thousand hits on my blogs which currently get me about 1000 and get the average 5 bucks daily you mention. And I have a lot more than 32 pages. You are doing something right...

My suggestion to you is to start a blog on that Halo stuff if you don't already have one and to lead the traffic from here to there. Dang capitalists we are....

Secondary to that I would keep writing hubs but become way more diversified in topic choice....

good luck....maybe you can lead those 7000 to my blogs and i can start making real coin with this online madness....

Yep, first 2400 impressions today and no clicks! Woopee! I've tried started a blog before but was never satisfied with how it looked. HubPages just looks so clean it was more then appealing to me. Just disappointed because I thought I struck gold but found tin hmm

10. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Hate to burst your bubble, but upon reading what you and others said above, here is my input:

â–ºWhat terms are you ranking for? The longer they are, the more chance you have of moving up. For instance if you rank number one for "Red and blue striped socks" over time your hubs will mature and hopefully move into #2 position for maybe "red striped socks" and then if you're really lucky and get lots of backlinks, maybe even "red socks." Make sense?
    â–ºGaming is a hard one to convert. I have a few gaming guides each with at least 10k hits total (one at 25k hits total). They don't bring me as much as some of my other, lesser viewed informational hubs. I believe it's because gamers are more savvy to the internet and don't click adverts - they either have banner blindness or simply know they can get better results in the search engines or asking in a forum etc.
    â–ºSee if you can change some wording in those hubs (the halo ones, right?) to get better adverts. The ones I saw were for books or for forex trading and getting out of debt! Although I must admit my own game guide hubs often have non relevant adverts. But if you can maybe add the word 'game' in there more, you might get a few more online gaming relevant adverts. I often have WoW or Evony adverts on mine.
    â–ºYou've been on HP for two months and written 32 hubs! Sorry but that makes me laugh. I've written over 200 on all accounts (originally joined in January) - the thing is, you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket.
    I'm currently working on testing three things out - one is with sales hubs and one is with a certain area of long tail keywords, while the third is something I think people regularly type into google that doesn't get a lot of hits. DIVERSIFY!

And the only time you emailed me was regarding a chat room, that I can remember. Sorry if I ignored anything else you sent, I don't remember any questions. But if you have any, feel free to contact me. smile am on that chat room atm.

1. Your right, and I do pull traffic from hundreds of different searches. Maybe it will increase?
      2. I was hoping this would be wrong but it is slowly turning to be true hmm They click on my page to get the info, not to buy things.
      3. I thought about this, but if you notice my main hubs ALL revolve around this idea of credit farming and that is a phrase I MUST utilize to maintain traffic. It brings me crappy ads but crappy ads > 0 Traffic.
      4. Quality > Quantity every day Wrylit. Good Quantity is good though! I'm just looking to learn how to utilize traffic now before it becomes a more serious problem in the future. I'm just gonna post some similar articles elsewhere and see how they perform with adsense!

And yes, you were not one of the people I talked about with the emails!

11. LSKing profile image69
    LSKingposted 13 years ago

You've been here two months, like me and I think that you're doing great with your traffic. Do you have a blog? If not, you need one so that you can pump up your earnings. Just like WryLit said... " don't put all your eggs in one basket "( I actually wrote a hub about this today ) Please update us in the future because, I think you have a great future with your hubs!

12. thooghun profile image93
    thooghunposted 13 years ago

It took me a long, long time before I started seeing a healthy increase in CTR,  my marketing efforts and other monetization meters.

Wrylit is spot-on. I don't rely on impressions, but on high paying keywords and improving my on-page conversion techniques. My most profitable hub is among my least viewed.

You could try taking a break and coming back in a couple of months to see how your hubs have done. But I'd urge you to reconsider, there's always something to be done and hubs are never beyond hope.  When you do come back and see the steady progress you've made passively you'll be kicking yourself in the back for not having kept at it (my case).

Only time and a steady stream of organic traffic will tell, and it's really far too early to tell. Some of my hubs take 4-6 months before literally exploding.

My advice, for what its worth, is to keep at it.

13. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 13 years ago

Traffic is no guarantee of earnings.

Competitive terms are really hard to earn with because of all the competition.  If you pick saturated topics on top of that, you stand even less of a chance to earn.

These things take time.  As illustrated by the survey I have up on this Hub:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Improve-Your-Hu … od_1969509

Two months and a few dozen Hubs is " just getting started."

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Relache, have you ever considered putting a "How many hubs do you have" poll in there?

1. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That doesn't seem to be as material.  I mean, look how few Hubs Misha has vs his earnings.  I know people with many more Hubs than I and mine earn more.

1. WryLilt profile image88
          WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

True but it would be an interesting comparison.

14. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

Add a couple Amazon modules with products related to your Hubs.  You might be surprised.

I don't make much of anything from Adsense. 

But Amazon...that's where the potential is.

Once you figure stuff out you may want to wonder over to Associat-o-matic.  Couple that with Hub Pages and the like and you are golden.

Yeah I don't believe I have mastered the sales hub yet /: I did howver put amazon capsules on every hub and get around 60 clicks a day to amazon. 0 Products purchased. It's just frustrated to think I'm having success.

15. Randy Simonato profile image60
    Randy Simonatoposted 13 years ago

Very interesting and I must say with the passion I have for just drawing traffic to my work alone I'm not too worried about a paycheck.  I wouldn't count this technically as a job replacement but surely as a rewarding hobby.  I understand your frustration but also believe that if you enjoy it and you can draw that much traffic you should stick around.  Good luck

Thanks buddy! You're absolutely right. It should be rewarding in itself to know I've helped 70,000 people with information?

I am however here for money, which is not seeming to flow to frequently in the adsense account lol.

16. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Hi Cordale, I say hubs usually mature in six months. Once people find what they are looking for in the hub, they don't click ads anymore. It means your hub is almost complete with information that they are looking for.

Congrats BTW, thats a lot of views!

I hope you can still stay here.

1. Don Simkovich profile image59
      Don Simkovichposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good comment, prettydarkhorse. Maybe that's why I'm starting to do well with Adsense on a regular basis (in my opinion). My Hubs contain good quality info yet I also write them with the thought "as the reader continues to research the internet" . . .

17. Whitney05 profile image84
    Whitney05posted 13 years ago

Patience is a virtue.

Gaming hubs don't pay in Adsense.

You're getting credit loan, credit score, etc ads because credit in regards to finance is a more popular searched term than Halo credits. There just aren't that many credit farming advertisers in comparison. Try focusing on Halo more.

Side note:
    If you give them all the info they want, they have no reason to click. Try to leave out a few things, or just skim on all the basics on the topic.

1. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

good side note. My hubby is always looking up game stuff, and yeah, if you tell them all they need to know..they are going to LOVE your hub, but not click on anything else.

18. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

Cordale, if your focus is making money right now, you're right, you need to bail. But if you're willing to start in the late winter after the snow is gone and till the earth start cultivating your garden so that you can reap the rewards in the summer, then you're doing just fine.

If you expect a solid income in less than a year, you've deceived yourself. For all the reasons that others have stated.

It took 15 months for my first Google Adsense payout. That's slow. But I was delighted. And to my great surprise, after the first year, I have a hub that has gone almost viral. There are links to it almost everywhere. I couldn't have expected that. It wasn't even a subject that I was truly devoted to, just based on a horrible experience I had and how I over came it.

So we can deceive ourselves and believe what we're doing is a waste, but in time, if we do good quality work, the internet will find us and we gain some credibility. New kids on the block take a little time to get to know, that's all. I'm still a new kid.

19. Don Simkovich profile image59
    Don Simkovichposted 13 years ago

If you're thinking of leaving after a few weeks, I guess I should have my head examined as to why I stick around. I must be nuts! You accomplished one major goal by getting 6,000 views in a day! Wow! That's great. How many of those views came from search engines? I'm sure others have asked that.

Getting traffic is the number one step and the money will follow. Yesterday, I had 7 clicks on my Adsense ads and some days I've had up to 14 . . . on about 200 page views per day.

I'm also going to create an ebook from one or two of my Hubs - don't know whether or not I'll sell it or use it to promote my business Hubs. in other words, you can leverage your articles in other ways to give them value.

Stick around. Hubpages is a wonderful platform.

Wow, thats impressive. Congratulations! I think I just found a bad topic. Time to reinvent what I write about!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)