Woo-hoo! Just had my first copied hub!

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (32 posts)
  1. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Well they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but Hubpages found not one but two copied hubs of mine. Fixing the problem seem to be straightforward enough. The first webmaster has already fixed the problem and am waiting on word back from the second. Meanwhile, well done Hubpages staff for making the whole process so painless - and the ready filled out out DMCA complaint form will be an absolute boon to those of us who find a webmaster who is anything less than helpful!
    Thanks again...I had no idea you had such helpful measures in place until I was notified of having copied hubs myself.

1. lender3212000 profile image60
      lender3212000posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've started to notice that several of my hubs have been copied as well. Unfortunately, mine have been copied by someone in another country which makes the process of going after them rather difficult. I still haven't decided if it will be worth the effort to chase them down. Most search engines seem to be pretty good at determining with one is the original anyway.

2. Ultimate Hubber profile image72
    Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years ago

Congratulations!!!!! big_smile

LOL! tongue

3. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

you're having better luck than me. One I think I'll have no problem with once they see I contacted them. The other seems to be out of India and is a pain. I was alerted of two today. I haven't filled out a complaint form yet, trying to get them to remove it, but what a rude administrator!

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Look under My Account  ~> Copied Hubs. It should tell you the offending site and off to the right is the DMCA file which you can click on to open and find all the details already filled out. Hope you don't have to go down that route - me neither as my printer isn't working.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes, I checked that. plus on my own I found two other sites where it is.. mad 
        the ones listed are articleswap.biz and bwebcentral.com. it doesn't look easy to contact the webmaster. if anyone has dealt with them, let me know. these article swap sites are ridiculous. they just go steal articles and post it. hmm

HP doesn't have DMCA info on these two sites.

4. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I don;t know if this helps but I found this email address for bwebcentral - privacy@BWebCentral.com

yes, I found it also and sent him a message and also informed him that I was including a link as I found numerous HubPages articles in their RSS feed.  I'm not entirely sure how those sites work, but it seems all they do is swap articles they find on other sites?  That doesn't seem ethical to me without contacting the author. 
      http://feeds.feedburner.com/ArticleSwap

thank you for taking the time to help me. smile

5. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

I hope things will be sorted for you Ms Rebekkah and Ms Izzy, I have five copied hubs but I can't seem to contact the webmaster of each sites. What will I do if I can't contact the webmaster and it is not a google blog?

well, at least they're not making $ off your hub, but they still stole your content.  I don't know what else to do if you cannot find a contact.  Did you try the http://whois.domaintools.com/  ?   this should give you the site owners name.

did you try contacting HP?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
        prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I sorted the ones with the G blogger already. Thanks, I'll check that site and contact the HP if nothing happens.

6. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Well that sucks Izzy hmm

Just filed three DMCA's this week. Don't think the site owners are listening. Next stop the big guns.

Hope you get sorted smile

7. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Wow, the copied content just keep on adding everyday. I have thirteen already, just sorted out three and everyday I have a duplicate notice.

these article swap sites.  I have two hubs copied on the site, articleswap.biz which feeds it to other social bookmarking sites, etc and feeds to search engines. it references our exact articles, so it doesn't seem like it's copied content to me.

people post articles there like they would on stumbleupon, etc., so I don't get why I'm getting a warning if it works like those other sites. hmm

take a break pretty, go enjoy your weekend. smile

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
        prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In my case, the entire hub was copied in all cases and everyday it is just adding two to three copied hubs.

I'll go to Dallas Zoo, I will take a break, HOORAY

Have a good weekend Ms Rebekkah, thank you!

8. SandyMcCollum profile image64
    SandyMcCollumposted 13 years ago

Does HubPages regularly look for copies of articles that have been posted on other sites? How do you know if you work was copied?

1. YoJDawg profile image72
      YoJDawgposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Usually when you go into your account there will be a notification saying that a hub of yours has been copied. I had a few copied as well....2 of them were from myself on my blog, whoops.

9. CYBERSUPE profile image60
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

Thanks YoJDawg, I was wondering that same thing as Sandy

10. michifus profile image57
    michifusposted 13 years ago

Hi Izzy and all - Wow - great new feature, although I must say that I am a little put out to find that 5 of my hubs have been copied.

bwebcentral and Articleswap take the entire articles and preserve the links. This could be a good thing, somewhat like an unauthorised version of yousaytoo. We all have the original content, so this is what counts with google. Make sure that you have a few links to your other hubs in each hub you write, so if it gets uses, its good promotion I guess.

I don't know if the adsense on the articles will still be credited to me - will try to look into it further, but it looks like they might.

As for the other thieving swines who have just taken articles for their own illegal gains, I guess Ill start with the DMCA complaints!

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can't imagine you will get adsense credit.  That account is tied to your profile page and HP, so without those two google will not have the information to pay you with.  The URL has obviously changed as well.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Here's an interesting thing. I've just viewed the page source of both my hub and my copied hub, and both carry the same adsense and analytics IDs as each other.

11. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I had one copied, but I got notified by another hubber, not by the site. I think it was fairly recent though... and luckily only took about 5 hours to get taken down.

12. michifus profile image57
    michifusposted 13 years ago

Its our own fault - we are just all too good here on hubpages.  Lets us all take a moment to bask in our collective magnificence.

They can take our content, they can steal our images, but they will never take our FREEDOM!

1. IzzyM profile image87

LOL brilliantly said!
      Actually mine it seems were copied months ago - like February - and I only just got notification the other day(the copyright 'c' appeared on the affected hubs).
      One is sorted - the other ignored me but at least they have linked back to the article even if they took the entire content.
      The entire content of a SALES HUB is no big deal without the sales items!
      Weren't Whitney and Relache asking for the removal of the copyright symbol once the problem had been rectified? I had no idea up till now that they stayed.

13. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Just got two more little red copyright symbols today! It is turning into a full time job! One that quite amused me was a new hubber left me a comment some time ago saying how helpful he/she had found my article and when I went to look at their account there was only 4 very short hubs on the same subject.  Had they written them first and then found my hub, or had I indeed been 'very helpful'?

1. Jane@CM profile image61
      Jane@CMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think we are all indeed very helpful to a small few on the site...the bigger problem is outside.

14. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I've just had my notification of my third ever copied hub. You got it. bwcentral.

Strange this is, I can view the hub duplication warnings on bwebcentral, and edit the hub if I choose, through their copy. If I sign out of Hubpages, I sign out of their copy too. They carry the same ads. What is going on? How is that possible?
    Oh and the original hub has gained 5 new backlinks from bwebcentral.

http://www.trendscape.com/site/bwebcentral.com
      if you read through the page, you see a link to the owner.
      also one of Habees articles on how to find shark teeth.

it gives an ip address from scottsdale, arizona.

1. IzzyM profile image87

That's great Rebekah, ta smile
        Unfortunately I haven't a clue what to do at this stage, so I've passed the link on to hubteam if no-one had done that already. They asked under the DMCA report file for further info on the site if anyone found it. I see they are hosted by godaddy. No use complaining to them?

2. Bard of Ely profile image79
      Bard of Elyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Izzy, I have exactly the same situation and worry: one of my hubs is now on bwebcentral including links, ads, comments, a copyright notice they ignored and even the warning from hubpages for my eyes only that the hub has been copied! Not only that but I can navigate within this duplicate site and am naturally very worried! And how on Earth has this happened? How can bwebcentral get access to our hubpages like this?

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Seems there was a logical explanation, after all:

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/1283696

15. dawnM profile image57
    dawnMposted 13 years ago

yes that just happened to me, it was a hubber that was stealing hubs and posting on another site, sweetsusieb saw one of my hubs word for word and allerted me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)