Children and wearing make-up and nail polish ...

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (25 posts)
  1. richtwf profile image61
    richtwfposted 13 years ago

Ay what age would you permit your daughters to wear make-up and paint their nails?

1. amberjones21 profile image60
      amberjones21posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am a mother of four boys but if I had a daughter, I wouldn't let her wear nail polish until 7 years of age and no makeup until at least 10 years old.

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I'm not a parent so I cannot answer your question. However, I am going to address the issue that you placed this topic in the wrong forum thread.

DO NOT delete your post. I have reported it to HubPages Staff to move it to the correct category. Please do try and label the category properly.

1. luvpassion profile image62
        luvpassionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Starting young is ok at home, according to my mother, but she wouldn't allow it in school til I was in Jr High. She always said boys are so hormonal they think a girl wearing makeup is on the prowl. smile

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Like I said. I reported. DUH! It was originally put in the Extreme Hub Makeover Forum.

You would have known that if you were here sooner. tongue

(((Hugs))) tongue smile

1. luvpassion profile image62
            luvpassionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

(((Hugs back at cha))) tongue

2. richtwf profile image61
        richtwfposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the correction Cagsii - appreciate that. Something new I've learnt as a newbie hubber. Cheers!

3. Lily Rose profile image86
      Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

I just painted little flowers on my daughter's nails yesterday - they are 4- and 5-years old.  I wouldn't do full on solid colors at this age at all - just cute tiny flowers or a light sparkly color is harmless and they get super excited about it. 

Makeup?  Not until they are 30!  lol

1. profile image0
        Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Any age,really. From all evil things they might want to try nowadays ( and they will),  I think this one is the most innocent.

4. kirstenblog profile image77
      kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I wonder if something like makeup would be a good rebellion thing for kids, if the parent kind of pretends they disapprove (or really do)? In my family make up, purple hair and anything else similar were great ways to explore my identity and the only restrictions were money and what the school would allow. This being the case when I felt the need to rebel I tended toward more extreme and unhealthy activities like smoking. Perhaps it is good to give kids a way to rebel? I mean if you have liberal parents how do you rebel as a kid?

5. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years ago

Kids should know your position, your opinion. How things stand with you. If I, myself, wear makeup for whatever reasons, how can I say no to my kid? You have to talk before you say "no". You always have to explain your "no". You should not restrict stupid things, but should guard from dangerous or irreversible (like tatoo, for example) things and explain why. If you cannot restrict completely, make like an age limit (you are not doing it until 16 or 18 years old or smth.), hoping that they will be mature enough at that age not to do it anyway.

6. Disturbia profile image59
      Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

I've never understood why some parents get so upset over kids wearing makeup or nail polish. I was delighted when my girls started to play with makeup and finally stopped finger-painting each other.

The only concern I have is the chemicals used in some cosmetics and the potential harmful effects.  But then, I'm not exactly so sure about what's in finger-paint either. .. LOL!

1. profile image0
        Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lol, ideed! Yes, so often we, as parents, so diligently are chasing rabbits, but do not see snakes, staring right into our face!

2. breathe2travel profile image74
        breathe2travelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I, too, am concerned about the toxins/chemicals in most lines of make-up.  When my daughter is old enough to wear make-up (we haven't set an age, but will determine by her maturity level) - I will definitely shop for the "natural" ingredients... and read the labels!!

I started painting my daughters toenails probably when she was 2... looks so cute with sandals.  smile

7. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

when they can buy and work for it, but I will advise them that it is not good for their young skin. My baby, I will tell her to wear only on occasions after she can work for it.

8. IdiditAlready profile image60
      IdiditAlreadyposted 13 years ago

What a question.  I have two boys and never even pondered that question.  I was about to reply and then realize I have no clue.  But I know I would raise her the best I could which in the end is ALL we can do.   

ONE!

9. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

When my daughter was little I'd let her wear the nail polish intended for little girls if she wanted to.  Little girls often like a flavored lip gloss, so between the children's nail polish and her always having a lip gloss; I think that was enough to make her feel kind of nice about having "a child's version" of "make-up".   She got to wear real make-up for her dance recitals and Halloween.  Once when she was four and accepting a ballet award at dance school, I actually dusted on just a hint of blush for the event.  She had a nice, white, dress and she's really fair; so I thought it may make her feel a little special to just have that little dusting of blush.

Other than that, if she'd been a kid who wanted to wear make-up at eleven to thirteen (she wasn't) I would have done what my mother did -  be OK with her having a light (but only light) lipstick and maybe a hint of blush.  No more than that. (Nailpolish - fine as far as I was concerned).

If she'd been a kid who wanted to load on all kinds of make-up at 15, I probably would have wished she'd go lighter on it; but I wouldn't have seen it as a horrible thing.  At 16, I think it's time parents let their daughters experiment with/wear whatever make-up they want.  I, personally, think it's good if a kid knows that there's a place for "day-time"/school/business make-up and a place for "party make-up" - but there are worse things a high-school aged daughter can do than wear too much eyeliner.   smile

I think my daughter learned where and when one make-up/nail-polish is appropriate, but also got to feel nice about having something like a pink tint on her fingernails once in awhile.  I pretty much think she learned that make-up isn't a big deal, but it's something that girls and women just kind of like as a way of feeling a little bit nicer.  There's a big difference between "a hint of color" and "grease paint on a seventh-grader".

10. alternate poet profile image67
      alternate poetposted 13 years ago

In my opinion most responses here miss the basic point - makeup is first about physical attraction, second about commodity.  Anything that makes a child a more physically attractive object is less good.  It is easier to see the point I am trying to make in kids beauty pageants - made up to look adult and striking sexual poses can only be less than a good idea.

Although kids make up is not directly about sex, it is indirectly.  The over-emphasis of everything sexual in everyday life increases peer pressure on kids to do the same, ultimately the cultural obsession with sex is one facet of problems in relationships.

Maybe no direct correlation, maybe not such a big issue but it is an issue I think.

1. Disturbia profile image59
        Disturbiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I understand your point and I agree that our society places too much emphasis on physical attraction and sexuality.  Personally, I don't agree with beauty pageants in general, especially those that exploite children.   

I don't know about anyone else's views on makeup, I just know my own. I don't attach too much importance to shades of lipstick and I don't take eyeshadow very seriously either.  To me, it's all decoration and people love to decorate themselves.  At the end of the day, doesn't it all still wash off with soap and water?

11. profile image0
      Anouserposted 13 years ago

18 for make up

12. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

40 years old

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

..hey droppin' by to say hi!....congrats...you must be pretty proud...

1. Greek One profile image64
          Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi there

Yeah, proud.. and sleepy

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
            SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

.....that's nice.....

13. SharonTheWriter profile image61
      SharonTheWriterposted 13 years ago

Hey All

I am a mother of three; two boys and a girl.  I am the sibling of six others; two sisters and four brothers.  I've been an educator since 1995.  I've taught ages 11 and up.  I am also an avid learner and have a huge passion for media impact on society.  I have some pretty strong opinons on the topic but all based on what I've seen and learned through psychology, marketing and holding mini research projects for the development of a program I feel is very needed for all ages.  There is a ton of professional research and a lot known about what is relative to this topic which is sexualization.  The problem is, the research isn't getting talked about, statistics given etc. for various reasons but largely because the interruption it would cause in money flow for major businesses.  It doesn't take alot of looking to find information about it.  Sexualization of a Nation is a good book. 

Everytime I see a "little girl" with makeup on it makes me a little sad.  And this is because of what is going on in their heads to prompt them to wear make up.  Now, there are exceptions.  It is natural to a certain degree for girls to want to experiment with make up and such.  But for a large majority it is because they are trying to look like something that has been portrayed as real that is not and as what other's want. 

What making little girls look older actually creates in the minds of others is frightening.  A lot is known about the increasing rate of molestation etc of children and it largely is associated with girls being portrayed as older and people getting mixed up on what is grown, what is not and the boundaries become blurred. 

As for my daughter, we do our nails and such together and have "girl fun".  She and her little friends do makeovers and experiment with different looks including their hair.  She is ten.  But she knows she is not allowed to wear makeup in public at all.  In middle school, she will be allowed to wear lip gloss and a bit of mascara.  She will not be allowed to wear larger amounts until she is 16 or so.  Right now, we talk alot about being beautiful on the inside.  But it is hard to convince anyone of that when society says it is everything else that matters. 

Just my two cents! ;P
      Sharon

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)