Miracle Whip or Mayonaise?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (40 posts)
  1. heart4theword profile image61
    heart4thewordposted 13 years ago

Are you a Miracle Whip Person or are you a Mayonaise Person.  Seems like we all grew up learning to like on or the other?  Maybe you don't like either?  Just was thinking this might be a fun question to ask. 

Then there is regular Mustard, Brown Mustard or Poupon Mustard?
    Is there any you who have a preference about?  I know this might be a shallow topic, but had to ask?

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Miracle Whip is excellent compared to mayo.

As for Mustard- Golden's Spicy Mustard will do. smile

1. B.T. Evilpants profile image60
        B.T. Evilpantsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Shallow topic? Au Contraire! This is a topic of unfathomable depth, at the bottom of which we may find the holy grail, the meaning of life, perhaps even the true location of Waldo. This subject is near and dear to my heart, and I have contemplated  it much over the years.

Personally I prefer Miracle Whip for tuna salad and egg salad, but the real deal is awesome for burgers and sandwiches.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image73
        Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like them both, but prefer mayonnaise.

Also, dijon mustard or brown mustard are both preferable to the traditional American chemistry-set-tasting "yellow mustard."

3. PhoenixV profile image63
        PhoenixVposted 13 years agoin reply to this

miracle whip I think

4. Keyttle profile image59
        Keyttleposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mayonaise, but not just any, has to be Best Foods Mayonaise.

Best for potatoe salads, dips and sandwhiches in my opinion smile

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

These are American brands right?
      I like them all smile

3. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 13 years ago

Miracle whip is an abomination. Mayonaise all the way!

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Be very careful of which you speak.

You have trampled upon holy ground.

Miracle whip is the only true path to a delicious sandwich.

4. Ohma profile image59
      Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Mayonnaise absolutely. Hellmans only mind you.

1. libby101a profile image59
        libby101aposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree 100%! Hellmans is the only way to go! MMMmm yummmy!

5. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

Hellmans popular in the North
      Duke in the South, (bit too gloopy for me )

6. profile image0
      girly_girl09posted 13 years ago

Ok, it may sound really gross, but Veganaise is AWESOME. No one believes me until I make them a tuna or egg salad with it. You would never know the difference, although I think it tastes even better. Much healthier for you, too!

7. SandyMcCollum profile image63
      SandyMcCollumposted 13 years ago

Mayo, definitely!

When I was a kid we ate Miracle Whip and I didn't hate it then but didn't really like it, either. Ever since I'm on my own I only get mayo for the house and when I taste something someone else made with MW it's so obviously different. Miracle Whip is a dressing to add spices to, mayo is for sandwiches.

8. heart4theword profile image61

Enjoying your feed back:) 

Have to share with you a small story:  One day I had ordered a sandwich for my husband, and asked the lady to put poupon mustard on his sandwich.  At the time our daughter was small...she tugged on my shirt and said, mom why would dad want poop on his sandwich:) 

Really never thought about other countries not having access to our brands of Mayonaise or Miracle whip?

9. KCC Big Country profile image85
      KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I can't stand Miracle Whip....has to be Kraft Real Mayonnaise.

10. Rafini profile image81
      Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Hellman's Real Mayonaise is the only mayonaise I'll eat on a sandwich.  Although, egg salad, tuna salad, and potato salad have to have Miracle Whip. hmm

11. Canklefish profile image82
      Canklefishposted 13 years ago

Miracle Whip on some days, Helmann's mayo on others... Simple as that

12. kids-toy-box profile image72
      kids-toy-boxposted 13 years ago

I prefer mustard to mayo.

1. Sab Oh profile image57
        Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No need to choose one or the other. Put 'em together!

13. Just_Rodney profile image71
      Just_Rodneyposted 13 years ago

Fellow victims of Mayo in all forms!

Having tasted MW Hellemans and C&B both traditional and the light versions.
      I have come to this conclusion and after many many t=years, still prefer making my own.
      My ratings on the types of oil I use I must in all honesty plumb for the Virgin Avocado oil, maybe a bit expensive, hey but when you need Mayo, you need the real thing!!!!!!!!!!

14. Carrie.M profile image60
      Carrie.Mposted 13 years ago

To be honest I prefer the taste of Miracle Whip over Mayo but will always choose Mayo for health reasons. Have you checked the ingredients list of Miracle Whip compared to real Mayo? If I can't pronounce it, I don't eat it.

15. brianzen profile image60
      brianzenposted 13 years ago

Mayo, and especially with dill relish.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image73
        Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

YES! Dill relish is vastly tastier than sweet relish. I had no idea that dill relish even existed when I was a kid. I didn't even bother looking for it when I first started doing my own grocery shopping. Imagine my joy when I first encountered it at a barbecue while I was at university.

1. mom101 profile image60
          mom101posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mayo. Of course.

16. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Mayo if any of that kind of thing.

I had a friend (HAD a friend lol ) who would invite me to lunch at her house.  Lunch was a store-brand tuna sandwich with Miracle Whip on store-brand bread.  If she made a cheese sandwich it was Velveeta slices with Miracle Whip on store bread!  mad  THEN - she asked if I wanted to coffee and put the remains of the pot of her morning coffee out of the refrigerator to re-heat!  Whatever she served she'd explain, "It's just as good."   mad  I learned that when I visited her I should eat lunch first and accept only tea at her "den of hospitality".  lol  lol

1. heart4theword profile image61
        heart4thewordposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Velveeta, now that is another subject of discussion.  Haven't heard anyone talk about that one for a long time:)  I remember my mom using it to make macaroni and cheese, and grilled chese at times.  When I was a kid, didn't know of any other options!  You just ate what was given to you:)

17. profile image0
      china manposted 13 years ago

choose your fat poison - both will get you in the end, the rear end mostly big_smile

1. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol   The funny thing is this is how she ate all the time, and she was as slender as anyone could be.   (Of course, I have no clue if she's had had a heart attack and dropped dead by now.  lol  )

18. Sab Oh profile image57
      Sab Ohposted 13 years ago

For true mayo joy, try Kewpie!

19. evvy_09 profile image60
      evvy_09posted 13 years ago

Miracle whip!  Though ranch dressing is better. NOT buttermilk ranch but Hidden valley original. smile As for mustard I love honey mustard but yellow is good on scrambled eggs.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4007894.jpg

P.S. I just love being able to put pictures in with my posts.

1. mom101 profile image60
        mom101posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ooops. Just saw the mustard part.
        When dad and I would get a corn dog, i would smother mine in mustard. ........

When I was 14 or so, a family member was expecting her first baby...I helped give her a baby shower, One of the games was the dirty diaper game. I made the diapers (napkins folded and pinned as would a diaper be). The dirty diaper was you got it...It had a squirt of mustard in it and the person lucky enough to get the dirty diaper won the prize.......I had eaten so much cake, drank way too much punch, nuts, chips, tuna salad and was feeling a little "puky".  But we were playing the game, and guess who got the dirty diaper. Oh yeah.

I have not liked mustart since.

20. FloBe profile image64
      FloBeposted 13 years ago

Definitely Miracle Whip--nothing better than a toasted tomato sandwich with Miracle Whip on it!

21. Aficionada profile image78
      Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

Miracle Whip?  Never ever.  Never, never.  Never ever ever never.

Mayonnaise absolutely. Hellman's if possible.  But we have also amazingly found some generic (store) brands that are almost as good, at least for tuna or chicken or ham salad.

Mustard?  preferably not Ballpark (yellow) mustard, but it's okay on a rare occasion.  Unfortunately I've had to give up mustard, but almost any other kind (Poupon, German, others...) is good for those who can eat it.

Relish fanciers - try piccalilli.  Mine's homemade from green tomatoes.  Mmmm!

22. sabrinaaq profile image61
      sabrinaaqposted 13 years ago

MAYONAISE ALL THE WAY!

23. kerryg profile image83
      kerrygposted 13 years ago

Real mayonnaise for me!

Miracle Whip is not quite as awful as Cool Whip, but it's bad enough. tongue

24. sim0n30 profile image60
      sim0n30posted 13 years ago

Always mayo!

25. heart4theword profile image61

For those who use Miracle Whip, did you convert to "Miracle Whip Lite?"  and now there is a "Mayo Lite" for the mayo people...any of you convert?  Just curious:)

26. restoremyheart profile image61
      restoremyheartposted 13 years ago

I like cream cheese on my sandwiches!

27. writinginalaska profile image77
      writinginalaskaposted 13 years ago

can't stand MW,  that stuff is disgusting.  Mayo for me please and spicy brown mustard too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)