Hub Hopping Is A Joke

Jump to Last Post 1-38 of 38 discussions (169 posts)
  1. raisingme profile image76
    raisingmeposted 13 years ago

I was really excited when I saw this new feature because I thought it was a great way to support, get to know and interact with other hubbers...But...for the most part, with some exceptions it is a load of garbage.  When I think of all the painstaking time I take putting a hub together...and I know that the majority of others I have met in my three months here do the same...well...all I can say is what a load of tripe!

1. Sylvie Strong profile image60
      Sylvie Strongposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I mostly flag hubs when they are obviously spun content.  There are a lot of them.

2. David 470 profile image82
      David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I lot of them seem to be low quality/quantity, but not all of them are.

3. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Raisingme, have you noticed the button in your "my account" section?  It says

"Help us out - hop some".

so the whole point of the feature is for us to help HubPages stop the garbage. 

Sally questions why we should have to help with policing but I disagree. 

As Hubbers, we are provided with a free platform to write and earn money.  In return, HubPages takes a cut of our earnings.

If HubPages had to employ enough staff to do all the policing themselves, they'd have to take a bigger cut of our earnings to pay their salaries.  Which would you prefer?

4. Sylvie Strong profile image60

You know, one thing that strikes me was that I thought hub hopping was supposed to be a "Stumbleupon" kind of feature to let us randomly sample hubs that we would otherwise not see.  I like that idea.  But they seem to be weighted towards newer hubs and I sometimes see the same ones over and over again.  This leads me to believe that Hubpages sees this as more of a community hub auditing function.  I wish it were truly random...sort of an Ipod shuffle for hubs.

1. profile image0
        Norah Caseyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sylvie,

The hopper should be showing hubs that are published within the last three days. That is a good point about the 'stumbleupon' idea, I can see how that would be useful and fun for readers. I'll bring it up at the next meeting. Thanks for the feedback!

5. readytoescape profile image60
      readytoescapeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Raisingme, you’re not far off with your observations in that a lot of  “garbage” is posted here, however I kind of view Hub Hopping as flipping through a magazine.

Page after page quickly flashes by until that one interesting title catches your eye. Though I must admit I do more page flipping than reading, I barely allow the Hubs to load before I click Hop, but I have found a few exceptional articles and authors I otherwise would not have come across.

6. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love seeing new hubbers and ones I know.

HubHopping makes me feel like a frog, and that's Kewl smile

But should you not like it, simply don't hop, maybe roll  smile

Cheers

1. miss_jkim profile image74
        miss_jkimposted 13 years agoin reply to this

~ Hop -N- Roll ~

Interesting concept!    yikes)

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Raisingme,

Don't look at it that way. Look at it as getting through the tripe to the good stuff. Anything you run across FLAG and move on.

It's an excellent tool for catching new hub writers and flagging hubs that are junk. smile

1. HalJordan profile image57
      HalJordanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cags, you're my buddy but please don't encourage people to flag hubs.  Some of these people have never read the TOS and some of them cannot even WRITE let alone judge others, ya know?

3. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

I thinkd hubhopping is just a way to get a glimpse at some new hubs or even some old ones I reckon. But in any case if you see one you like, then you can comment, or click on the hubbers name and get to know them better maybe even become a follower.

4. bayoulady profile image69
    bayouladyposted 13 years ago

I do hubhopping more to catch spam than find hubbers. It is in our best interests to keep this wonderful venue a respected site. The button says"Help us out." But I have stumbled upon some writers that I am now following. It's a wordsmith safari.I saw my newest hub on there a few nights ago. (and(not bragging) mine are good hubs.)

5. saleheensblog profile image59
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

i like hub hopping.I haven't yet flagged anyone though the content were too short and below standard.I rather sent them pm to make them aware of the facts.I think it helps us to make the hubpages a better place by mutual co operation.
    [sorry for poor English]

1. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not flagging things that are violations of the content standards isn't helping anyone.  By flagging a Hub, not only does it allow the Hub team to take it out of being active (which makes the whole site look better to Google) it also allows them to send an email to the Hub authors about why, and how to fix their Hubs.

So if anyone and everyone flag hubs then that makes Hubpages look better to Google.  Does that mean then that the people who put making a little money a priority theoretically make a little bit more money?
        My concern is that no one can quote "the rules" chapter and verse.  My concern is also that the people that flag hubs don't even do it in an organized fashion.  There could be hubs that should be flagged that have been here for years but because these under-qualified vigilantes don't even work in an organized, orderly fashion only the people who somehow fall under their scrutiny get flagged.
        My concern is that people can't be objective.  If I argue with people in the forum then they could go out of their way to flag MY hubs while a bigger offender skates because they are well-liked or stay out of the spotlight.
        Tell you what though, when I DO get another full-time job I will let everyone who wants to work for HP for free know.  They can come and at least TRY to do MY job for free.  Either way you won't get paid and you won't necessarily be qualified!
        I just think MOST people need to just worry about their OWN hubs.
        Mind you, I know my non-kiss-@ss attitude could get me banned.  I have seen people get banned for NO REASON recently so I would not be surprised if this account is gone in a couple of days. . .not that MOST people will really learn anything from that if it DOES happen.

6. travelespresso profile image68
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

I'm with you on your point about quality raisingme.  I've hub hopped a few times now and have been appalled by the standard of the hubs.

However, I'm always happy to be proven wrong so I just did some more hub hopping.  I only hopped four hubs - one was marginal and I flagged three others.  They were very short and very promotional.

7. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I don't mind it, but I have to be in the mood for it.  I've seen lots of good Hubs when hopping, but one thing is a good-sized, well written, Hub may be about something I'm not interested in (and so have trouble reading).  On the other hand, the atrocious ones take little time to recognize and flag, but can be depressingly or aggravatingly discouraging, in terms of what we run into.  Again, though, there's no need to linger and think about those obviously atrocious, quickies, in barely coherent English.

I've seen some really, really, well written Hubs; so just keep hopping until you run into some.  It will restore your faith in Hub-manity.    smile

1. bgamall profile image67
      bgamallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have a lot of good sized boring hubs about things crucial to our democracy. But people would rather shop. smile

8. Lady_E profile image63
    Lady_Eposted 13 years ago

Diane Inside has explained the feature well and once in a while I have read and rated a few of them to support too.

Give them a chance, we all have to start somewhere... smile

1. sofs profile image77
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hub hopping is the only way i get to read things other than what interests me. Of course the are hubs with just pictures and a little text or just hundred words in a hub with a few pictures,  but there are times I come across a gem or two!! I have enjoyed them and posted my comments there.
      Actually I feel it should also showcase old hubs that would make it quiet interesting!!

2. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My "thing" isn't someone who's just starting to write or just learning the English language.  My "thing" is the load of obviously spun, incoherent, single-paragraph, Hubs that are obviously a sleazy attempt to earn money doing something other than putting in an honest effort.    hmm

9. raisingme profile image76
    raisingmeposted 13 years ago

I have come across some good hubs and even some great hubs n' my hopping.  The majority however have not been and I've summoned up my courage and flagged them.  It may well be that hub hopping not only will give me the opportunity to read some great comment but also to make sure that Hubpages has quality content.  That can only benefit all of us in maintaining a reputation as a not only a good place to write but also to seek good and relevant information - not to mention some great stories and wonderful humour.  So I will keep hopping as your posts have raised some good points.

10. Sally's Trove profile image79
    Sally's Troveposted 13 years ago

I do hop Hubs now and again looking for a fresh voice or an old friend, or looking for nothing and therefore being open to a pleasant surprise.

For the most part, I'm disappointed. I skim through the Hops and neither flag nor read fully. Just pass by.

Mostly, it's a waste of my time. In the last month or so, I found one or two Hubs that I wanted to comment on or engage with the Hubber. Out of a hundred Hubs hopped, maybe one or two were worth something to me. That's no reason to continue to hop.

I don't think Hub Hopping is a joke. I see that it's an approach that HP has to making this site more worthwhile, but I don't understand the purpose when so many of the Hubs that can be hopped are well, substandard at the very least in terms of their command of the language.

Maybe the HP community (meaning you and me) is the guinea pig in testing ways to make HP successful in the future. And that's OK with me, mostly. But HubHopping is not a feature I'm going to spend any more time on.

11. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

Just a link to the official announcement, where flagging was mentioned as one of the reasons for introducing this:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/38023

1. Sally's Trove profile image79
      Sally's Troveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You bring up an excellent point. Does this mean that we members of this site should have an expected role in policing inappropriate content (above and beyond voicing opinion)? There's something wrong with that. Do we get paid for this role? Of course not. Should it be a role that HP pays a staff for? Of course.

Does this mean that HP can't police its own site without the unpaid help of its members?

These are changing times where almost anything goes. HP relies on its members to do a lot of work for them, like bolstering its Help pages, but that's the internet way these days.

This policing thing is another matter...or maybe it's not.

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have not used this feature even once. Somehow it always struck me as a bit sticky. No reason to be getting one's feet wet.

12. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

Hub hopping seems to performa ll the functions mentioned above - and what is wrong with members filtering out the garbage from our site where it is in our favour not to have c**p content and spun articles and duplicate stuff etc etc.  It also gives new hubs a boost up or down on their path through life, not a bad thing if anyone has teh time to do it.  From my own observations I like to keep tabs on the slowly increasing number of holier than though religious hubs that seem to be intent on taking over.

13. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

hub hopping is a way to grade hubs and relieves the staff of grading them
    I'm frustrated by so many short hubs....ugh!sad

14. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

Siite. My followers give me enough hopping and I ain't goin' outa my way to look for flagging. hub hopping sucks and kudos of you to say so.

15. travelespresso profile image68
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

I love the concept of hub hopping, mainly because I might have the opportunity to "meet" and read the works of other hubbers. 

However, each time I've done it, I've been incredibly disappointed with the blatantly promotional hubs.  They are also very short.  The first few times, I just hub-hopped through them, but this past week I got fed up with that and flagged some.  However, I don't like the feeling I experience when I flag hubs - I feel like a snitch!  Now, I'll probably just not go hub-hopping.

16. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

I dunno....  I understand the idea of not wanting to be a snitch, but honestly: how will the staff know about spam Hubs or overly promotional or otherwise sub-standard Hubs, if they are not alerted to them?

Look a few posts back at Marisa Wright's post.  We have a free publishing platform here, and we can earn money here.  If the staff has to do all the reading and rating that they ask us to do, then we probably would receive a smaller percentage of Adsense earnings (which I am counting on receiving one day, but not yet smile).  Marisa said it better - read her post.

A short while ago, I was reading some questions in the Answers section.  I came across some spam.  Did I flag it?  Absolutely yes.  There were about twenty or so of the same kind of "question" that were nothing more than ads for a call-girl service.  Did I feel like a snitch for reporting them?  Of course not.

No one really enjoys tattling.  But it seems to me that it is really nothing other than a form of housekeeping.  Maybe not particularly fun, but necessary.  (And for me it's a lot simpler than washing the dishes.) big_smile

[Before I posted this, relache's answer showed up - superlative insight, as always.]

17. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

I really don't look at hopping as a chore because I only do it when I feel up to it.  Sometimes I had rather just check out the new hubs, but either way, it is important to help out the staff as there are so many new hubs published each day.

But there are other reasons to use the hopper!  Sometimes I find an article written by a newcomer which would be so much better if the author had a little help formatting or arranging the layout. 

It is a shame when potential is discouraged simply for a lack of help from fellow hubbers.  I agree it is important to flag hubs.  If the flags are undeserved there is no harm done.

18. Aficionada profile image79

But Hal, the only thing that flagging does is to call something to the attention of the staff and then they can act on it or not, after they review the specific Hub (or question/answer or forum post).  The flagger can write out specifics in some instances (I don't remember whether it's true in all instances).

The label of "sub-standard" may be a subjective one, but there are some factors that are more objective than that.  And, in the end, it's not the opinion of the one who raises the flag that counts - it's what the staff thinks after they review the Hub.

That's true.  Nevertheless, you are still drawing the admin's attention to certain people according to YOUR priorities.  If TWO people both break a rule and YOU only flag the one you don't personally like then YOU have now acted subjectively and that is not fair.
      Whereas if you don't get involved then not only are you not doing their job for FREE but you are no longer acting unfairly/subjectively.
      From what I hear, there is enough "subjective" action being taken so as it is.
      Again, I hesitate to say too much because I have been told and in some cases SEEN people get banned simply because they even SUGGEST things along these lines.  Did you miss that guy who was on here saying he was going to investigate rumors of unfairness?  he has been banned. All things considered lately I think everyone should just worry about themselves.   
      I guess now that I am opening my mouth we will see what happens.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow! You're willing to risk losing a whole hub at the risk of getting banned?  I once risked over a hundred articles to make a point about corruption on a writing site. And lost them too!

I've risked more than that but if i gave you details it would mean more trouble.

2. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The only way you can 'know'another person here is if they regularly forum post, and generally-speaking, forum posters write good hubs, so falling out with someone on a forum is not going to make you flag their hubs because there is nothing to flag.

I sometimes hub-hop and I'll flag every single violation that I see, and not feel even the tiniest bit guilty about it.

These are the people who give Hubpages a bad name. When you go to do backlinking and find the whole of Hubpages banned from a certain site because of spam, we know who sent them there. They'd probably just been hit with a thousand copies of a sub-standard hub with two lines of spun content promoting rubber-soled sandals or whatever.

So yes they affect me and this is my business and it is for many others here too.

If we all hub hop and catch the new crap  when it is within a day or two of being published, it can't then be replicated throughout the internet because it'll most likely be unpublished pronto by the staff.

1. Sylvie Strong profile image60

I disagree that forum posters generally publish good hubs, at least in any greater percentage than the rest of our community.  I sometimes notice a hubber on the forums and will find that they also write great hubs.  But I've seen the whole range.

2. raisingme profile image76
          raisingmeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.  100% but I sure would like to see more quality hubs in 'dem hoppers.  The feature itself is great because sometimes it is nice to take a break from putting a hub together and just do a little hopping.  The thing that is so neat about HubPages is that it is set up to be a win/win.  If we keep the quality up in here, we all win.  If we support each other we all win.  If we get ideas from reading another hubbers hub, we win and if there are good quality hubs that we can link to that support our hubs, we win.  It isn't much different to flag call girl hubs and the like than it is to pull weeds from one's garden.

1. IzzyM profile image86
            IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think the hub hopper only shows new content but am willing to stand corrected, and there are some gems in there too. If we continually see more bad hubs than good in the hopper, then we begin to understand why the staff need a helping hand. What a huge amount of work they have to do!
            And OK I am not getting paid to flag, but I am getting 60% of the page earnings on my hubs (their platform) and it only takes a few minutes of my time.

I see.  So if they are cutting you in on the advertising then you are willing to do a job for which you are not qualified and not paid.  OK.  It's a money thing.  Well, nice of you to be honest about it.
              Again though, the unemployment rate is high, if you wouldn't do it for free they would have to hire and train someone to do it the RIGHT or at least THEIR way and they would have to PAY them.
              Again, if you can quote the TOS chapter and verse then I will gladly take back my "unqualified" comment.

2. HalJordan profile image57

When was the last time--if ever--you saw a call girl hub here?

One man's "weeds" are another man's wildflowers.

Nothing personal but we all need to be careful about assuming we know enough to flag the hubs of others.

I try not to judge as I am unable to quote the TOS chapter and verse especially when things change as time goes by here at HP.

I know things that were okay months ago that are NOT okay now.

Anyway, I have writing work to do.

"Judge not lest, ye be judged".

1. KCC Big Country profile image86
              KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The last time I saw a call girl hub? A few minutes ago and I flagged it. 

You have to understand that flagging a hub does not take it down.  It simply notifies HP to look at it. It's up to them to determine if it truly violates the TOS.  Knowing that should ease your mind about the severity of flagging.  I'm quite sure if someone is inappropriately flagging things that are NOT in violation, HP will notify them.

I know that flagging a hub doesn't automatically take it down BUT it DOES draw attention to it BEFORE drawing attention to perhaps a more "deserving" hub that no one has seen yet.
                I would never pretend to know everything about what HP does nor would I assume anything about their actions.  I would like to think you are right . . . I would LIKE to . . .

2. raisingme profile image76

I have seen more than one call girl hub and recently.  I flag nothing that is not in violation of the rules and guidelines by which we have been respectfully asked to abide.   Those are in place not only for the well-being of HubPages but that of those of us who choose to participate here as well.  There is no point making an agreement with anybody if you aren't going to keep the agreement.  Through some very valid and insightful posts on this forum I have come to recognize that as a member of the hub team, which all hubbers by agreement are, I have to be a team player, I have to have the best interest of my team at heart and I have to do what is required to keep this a safe space for those of us, including me, who put a lot of time and effort into their hubs.  Three lines of promo is not a hub.

You have seen "call girl" hubs?  Define the term "call girl" please!  I have not seen these and I think you are possibly not using the correct words here.
                If you can quote HP TOS chapter and verse and don't mind doing the work of others for free then so be it!  be my guest!
                Otherwise . . .

3. relache profile image73
              relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In answer to your question, just a few hours ago.  And I flagged it.

Define "call girl" please!
                I wouldn't mind seeing a link either.

1. profile image0

Why is it so important to you? Why do you persist? What is your hidden agenda? At the face of things, you have stopped making any sense a long time ago.

1. Pcunix profile image90
                    Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ditto.

2. HalJordan profile image57

I am simply being polite and responding to someone speaking to me.  I believe that elsewhere the person who originally used the phrase "call girl" said she was NOT from America so I thought perhaps there was a breakdown in communications.
                    I have no hidden agenda.
                    Notice how I never took a personal shot at anyone either.

2. profile image0
                  EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You really have to ask?

http://www.writeserve.com/callgirlhub.GIF

Wow.
                    I will assume that you didn't photoshop this.
                    That is just wild.
                    I have monitored HP for going on two years and never saw a hub like that!
                    Mind you, the person to whom I directed the question has yet to respond but-hey-whatever.
                    OK. 
                    I just think it's funny that so far no one has said: YES! I can quote the HP TOS chapter and verse!
                    In which case, all I would suggest is that you be very careful.  After all, look how un-objective most people are just discussing the issue! 
                    Flagging a hub that literally advertises prostitution--anywhere where it is NOT legal--is ONE thing but flagging hubs because YOU happen to THINK it's "crap" or it could potentially cost you two cents of theoretical income is another thing entirely.
                    "Judge not lest ye be judged."

3. HalJordan profile image57

OK.  My point is you know OF the person NOT know him/her personally.
          As to your new comment: When I get a full-time job again I'll let you know and you can maybe do it FOR me even if you WILL be less qualified.
          I try not to automatically assume I know what "craps" as you ut it--is.

3. Sylvie Strong profile image60

You seem kind of defensive.  Bad hubs are being called to the attention of Hubpages and it is improving our community.  That Hubpages makes some attempt to deal with these issues is why, in my opinion, it is superior to several comparable sites including Squidoo.  The flagging procedure is admittedly not systematic and some hubpages may escape notice while comparably poor hubs may be noticed and flagged (and, as you say, someone may flag your hubs because they dislike you).  But so long as the actual review of each individual hub is done fairly by Hubpages, I don't have a problem with this.  In other words, if I go on a vendetta and flag all of your hubs because I dislike you I may be singling you out but if your hubs are of genuinely bad quality then it still improves the community even if there are other bad hubs that aren't getting flagged.  I have also heard anecdotal reports of Hubpages treating certain hubs or hubbers unfairly but at least some of these reports are from people that I think may be having trouble looking at their own experience objectively.

I might seem defensive to you because this is a "favorite" topic of mine. 
          I see you agree with me.
          Your comments show that you acknowledge the inequities involved here so I need not say any more.
          Thank you.
          (I like how you try to find a silver lining in the cloud.
          It's a good way to live.)

19. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 13 years ago

There is also a huge division in the types of hubs published on the site, and the authors publishing them. Some Authors publish purely to get ideas and/or works exposed to the world. Others are here for the sole purpose of generating income.

Some do both or portions of both.

The values and qualities of these hubs vary exponentially, so who is really to judge what's good or bad and from which perspective outside of the base TOS?

20. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

“Hub Hopping Is A Joke”

It is just helping out HP. This is a good thing.

This has already been stated.

Let us let this thread die.

21. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

Everyone complained about the spam, low quality hubs and so forth.

HP gave us the tool and the power to maintain the site with quality hubs, great content and a reason to stay.

You asked for it, you got.  Now, there's only complaining that it's not good enough. 

Hard crowd to please. 

Enough already!

1. Marisa Wright profile image84

Well said.

22. Set's All Set profile image66
    Set's All Setposted 13 years ago

Finally people are starting to figure it out! Others are just gracious that their masters "allow" them to clean up their house. This is a technique called crowd sourcing.

You get people to do the work for you.

Are you saying you would rather HP take a larger share of your hub revenue to hire more people to police the new hubs?

1. Set's All Set profile image66
        Set's All Setposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm saying you should pick up my slack and police the news hubs for HP.

In case you couldn't read between the lines, you cannot force people to care about the maintainance of their apartments if they are renting. They have landlords for that.

Crowd sourcing. Look it up. HP makes more than enough to pay for a larger staff. Next thing you know, they're gonna ask for a "member's fee" to pay for their hosting. Give me a Fing break. If you want to buy the bull, go right ahead. In fact, do it out of your morals.

Spend the next 8 hours policing hubs. The OP is right. Hub Hopping is a joke.

How do you know what they make and what their staff costs are?

You don't want to help, don't.  I don't do it every day because reading all the junk is depressing, but I do it now and then to help get rid of the bozos.  Ten minutes is not going to kill me.

You're right. I don't know how much they make. Regardless, free work is free work. They use hub hopping to outsource their work. Sometimes, it's not about spending money but saving money.

I am not hating. In fact, I commend HP for introducing Hub Hopping. I'd do it too.

They had a problem. They are implementing the cheapest solution. Some of you Hubpagers are like patriotic Americans blinded.

If I could get a bunch of suckers to make/save me some money, I'd do it too. 10 minutes of work is still work. It's 1/6th of an hour's pay.

1. profile image0

That is pretty rude. You too are sounding like a broken record.

If you go check his hub, you will see he has some agenda that he thinks could get him banned, so it is probably his own stuff he is worried about being flagged.

agenda? you mean the same as your? Making money.

No, I mean that you sound like someone who wants to test boundaries - rattle the bars and see how far you  can go.

2. Set's All Set profile image66

If telling it how it is is rude then thank you for the compliment.

2. Pcunix profile image90

It makes US more money too.  Do you not understand that you are helping yourself?

Why when suckers like you can pick up the slack?

Okay, you win. I was hub hoping for 5 whole minutes. It was such an enlightening experience, I almost achieved nirvana. Anyways, I gave myself a pat on the back because I was being a good boy. I wanted to share my overwhelming positive experience. I can see why you guys are so into it. Such a feeling of ecstasy!

I can't take more than a few minutes of it either.  It is depressing because even most of the stuff that can't be flagged is junk - junk that clutters the web, will never be recommended  by anyone and will never earn a dime for the illiterate and hopelessly ignorant authors.  It is enough to make you dislike the whole human race at times.  I understand.

But it does need to be done.  So I hold my nose and  put in a few minutes.

I completely agree with you. That is why during my 5 minute orgasm, I rated every single hub UP.

Spam needs to be addressed and If you feel you have to take it onto your own hands, then good for you.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

You act like a 20 year old kid!  Instead of the mature 24 year old you should be!  LOL!  No wonder, I should have read your profile earlier.  Never mind kid, I now understand!  Hoo!

And now I am a 99 year old man named Randy Godlose! Isn't the internet a wonderful thing!? Talking like this means you win on the interwebs! ROFLMFAO! GOHOMOO!

Apparently, some of us are already picking up your slack.  I understand your point, I used to write for Helium and their rating system SUCKS!  But I also understand the huge amount of text which must be reviewed if we want this site to continue to earn us and HP money.

Sit on your ass if you like, no one is expecting you to help make the site any better.  If you know what I mean  LOL!

You guys seem to be misunderstanding me. If you guys truly, deep down in your hearts, believe you are helping then thats great!

Please, do some extra work for me as I don't like to do charity. I'm beginning to sound like a record because you guys clearly don't get it.

Maybe HP will give you gives shiny little "accolades" for hub hoping. You remember when you were in 1st grade and the teacher gave you a sticker for doing a good job? Funny how much that meant then and now, right?

And you seem to be misunderstanding us!  As for accolades for helping the site be free from spam or anything else which is detrimental to this site, I would not participate at all if this were done.

As already stated, my short time on Helium revealed to me how this type of requirement for rating stars turned into it being mandatory in order to get paid for one's work.  The writers become trapped!

No, the funny thing is that you can do something which benefits not only the owners of HubPages, but yourself as well.  You don't seem to mind them allowing you to use their tools to publish your stuff.  But some are givers and others.....

... take advantage of givers.

See the reason why I commend HP?

2. readytoescape profile image60

I’m not really sure I give a crap one way or the other if the “site” is better. No one really cruises this “site.” The majority of people, other than those that are members of the site, come to us from outside, primarily Google, Yahoo and Bing.

For those that are using this site for marketing and/or for profit are here because it is basically offered for “no investment” and all know it.

They also know that the majority of “their” revenue comes from outside of the “site” so your standing on the side of “sitting on your ass” comment has absolutely no value to anyone that does not care about Adsense revenue or Ebay and Amazon Sales.

I don’t really care one bit if you made 12 cents from Google today, and you might stand to make 14 tomorrow, but don’t play the holier than thou attitude to people that just don’t give a crap if you make a nickel from your drivel but are tired of seeing such junk on a sight that is supposedly designated for writing articles not marketing campaigns.

So if the site goes down due to spam, adult content, etc. you will still be able to publish here? 

But if you only make 12c a day then no wonder you have this attitude!  No one is forcing you to do this either!  Sit on your ass with the other kid if you like!  LOL!

I do make a few bucks here  and it takes very little time to look at a few hubs.  I do find some I am interested in occasionally and also find crap to flag.  Suit yourself!

Just because you have failed to make any money or get traffic don't assume others have the same experience!

1. readytoescape profile image60

I didn’t say what I make here, nor do I care, the only one making real money on this site is its developer. So what, you make beer money.

I publish here as a hobby, and a place to portfolio some work that is easily accessible to potential clients, that’s it. For this “privilege” I trade the Adsense revenues generated by what I choose to publish here to the site owners, period. 

But don’t make out as if you are appalled someone doesn’t care for the site the way you do, and then ostracize them for it.

We all know there is a lot of garbage on this site, you know it, I know it, everybody knows it, including the people that post that junk. If you want to police it, go ahead, but don’t attack those that either don’t want to or don’t care about what you might or might not earn here.

No one has attacked you that I know of!  And neither have I stated I was appalled at those who didn't help try to make the site better.  Do nothing, I certainly don't care. I only gave my reasons for doing so.

Okay Randy, perhaps I misinterpreted this:

“Please, do some extra work for me as I don't like to do charity. I'm beginning to sound like a record because you guys clearly don't get it.”

Certainly read as if you were degrading anyone that wasn’t looking out for “your” best interest. I never thought it was a direct attack at me but it is rather dubious.

Maybe you would like to reword the post to clarify?

You don't have the beginnings if a clue.  If Google sess the site as junk, we all get less benefit.

Okay Punix, what part of “I don’t give a crap about your revenue” did you misunderstand? What part of my previous post about garbage on the site did you miss?

My problem is not with keeping the site clear of Junk, like all the marketing crap many have published, no real information just place marking for affiliate links, my opinion of course, all of which is as important as all the Auntie hubs that are on here.

As the attitude that you marketers believe everyone should care about your “market,”
                I’m sorry to tell ya, some of us don’t give a crap and think your marketing stuff is junk too.  Some us have all tried it, that’s why it is accepted, but again as I said in the earlier post its just flipping pages.

Unlike the high quality articles you have published here. I'm sure. 

And nice of you to donate your entire adsense to the site!  Is there enough to buy a beer with?  LOL!

In other words I don't give a crap whether you give a crap, or not!  LOL!  This is getting boring though, AP was right!

Now see right up till now there have been no attacks on either side, just a debate, which apparently now you have perceived you were losing.

I have one word for you after reviewing your published work, EDIT.

As to what your opinion is I have to agree with you, it’s crap.

I will however agree with AP, it’s a bore, have a nice night.

I'm not a marketer.  I agree with you that there is too much of that kind of  low quality material.  Unfortunately, quality is in the eye of the beholder, so if it doesn't fall below a certain level, it gets to stay.

No, we are not going to change the world.  We just want to make HP  a tiny bit better.

You do that. Make HP a better place... For me and HP, You owe it to us.

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/4049/50749.jpg

And if GM fails, America fails. And if we leave now, the terrorists win. And if we don't bailout the banks, America dies. And if we don't stop driving cars, global warming wins. And if we don't buy iPads, the economy dies. And if we don't hop hubs, Google will hate HP. And if Google hates HP, ohhhh nooo!

This whole "spam is killing HP" thing is BS. I don't deny that it's bad but you take it to a new level. You guys are on a mission. Like a religion. No, more like a cult.

You're acting like you're gonna change the world or something. Haha. Big dreams man. Have at it though...

23. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

A. The HubPages staff has made it perfectly clear what they want flagged and what they don't. Just click the "Flag" button sometime and a very explicit list pops up.

B. Yes. This is a free writing platform. It is also a privately held company. If HubPages doesn't want cr*p on their site, they don't need to have cr*p on their site--and they don't need to explain it to anyone. Full stop. I'm shocked that anyone thinks differently.

C. Anyone who thinks that having low-quality hubs and hubs filled with cr*p on this site isn't hurting them, whether they're here to make money or here to just be read, they are truly beyond help.

24. IntimatEvolution profile image67
    IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years ago

I think hub hopping gives us an idea of how many bad hubbers, and spammers try to break into our market.  But this is like all things in life, you have some people who care about their work and others who don't.

25. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

Is this the very boring post that nobody is talking about ?

It is now!

26. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

I like hub hopping. I have found good and bad there. The really bad I flag, the others I pass-by or vote up and leave a comment if it was very good and interesting to me at that time.

Online you don't get to hold anyone's attention for long unless they are enjoying your article.

A lot of good short stories and poetry appear there too that I seldom run across elsewhere.

I don't watch all the new hubs as they arrive, and am always looking for a good read and hub hopping often provides it. smile

How dare you try to make a difference, Earnest!  That's simply unamerican!  Wait a minute...........!

27. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

I don't hub hop often but I have come across several hubbers that I think are very good & would never have found without hopping.  I do rate up, comment & sadly flag a few here & there.

28. Kyriana profile image68
    Kyrianaposted 13 years ago

I'm with Jane

I've hubhopped as sort of a thumbing through a magazine feature and read and rate the one's that are about topics that I like.

I have also flagged (after checking criteria for flagging 3 times to make sure I was right to bring the hub to someone's attention).

It seemed like letting someone know about a violation was a good idea.

See?
      YOU are making sure the actions you are taking are correct.
      I applaud that.
      IF you choose to do something someone ELSE gets PAID to do then that's your business.
      Wait.  I guess I have to take that last part back because anyone you flag would say that it's not your business to flag them.
      Oh well, at least I can still give you points for NOT simply assuming you know all the rules!
      Now maybe we all need to get back on topic!

29. Gypsy Willow profile image66
    Gypsy Willowposted 13 years ago

well having read the earlier posts, I don't know what the fuss is all about. I found new writers, interesting hubs but I did flag one after reading the rules. I shall hub hop more often.Sorry Hal!

Well, at least you read the rules instead of just assuming you knew all the rules.
      of course, you also did the job someone ELSE gets paid for but that's your choice.
      I try to mind my own business outside of the forums.

Nobody else gets paid to do the job. Like I said, if HubPages had to pay staff to do the entire job of moderating, they would have to take a greater share of ad revenue to pay for it.

There's no such thing as a free lunch.  I think it's a fair trade.  If you don't, you're always free to write elsewhere.

I won't argue the obvious.  if we do not "ban" each other then obviously someone DOES get paid to do it.
          Taking a larger share of the ad revenue would be but ONE solution.  They could also do OTHER things but--yes--I see it's a money issue to you.
          If you think it's a fair trade then so be it.  I just hope you do as others do and actually consult the rules before deciding to take action.
          I choose to generally mind my own business since I am not getting paid nor have I (like everyone else here in this forum) been trained.
          Caring for HP has nothing to do with it.  If an untrained person makes too many bad decisions regarding flagging hubs then they are just making more work for the HP staff. 
          What if everyone makes enough bad decisions that HP has to hire someone else to deal with them?  THAT will cut into your future theoretical income as well.  But anyway, I didn't mean to distract anyone from the actual topic.
          I am just sharing my opinions about WHY I choose to mind my own business and not set myself up as a "judge" of others.

You seem to be conflating two issues.  People get banned from the forums because of actions they take in the forums.  NOBODY gets banned just because someone flagged their Hubs.

If they write a few Hubs which are found to break the TOS then those Hubs get unpublished, that's all.  If the breach is really extreme, they might get their account suspended but it is possible to recover from that.

You talk as though the TOS are terribly complicated and beyond the understanding of most Hubbers.  They're not.  They are vague, which is annoying, and unreasonable, which is also annoying - but they're not hard to comprehend, and it's not  difficult to remember the basics even if you can't quote exact "chapter and verse".

30. Denise Handlon profile image85
    Denise Handlonposted 13 years ago

Ahh, yes, there's nothing like an exciting topic to debate...
    Raisingme-aren't you glad you brought up this subject?  LOL

1. raisingme profile image76

Actually I am, though I may have worded it differently.  I learned a lot from others' viewpoints that resulted in my having a different perspective of hub hopping - a more positive one. 

I had no idea it would take off like this and definitely did not expect the direction some would take with it.  I am encouraged that the majority are happy to contribute in a positive way to the community here and mighty relieved there were no arguments about the BIG FELLA!

31. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

I agree with Marisa.
    I think what some have not understood is the type of community that makes up a writers site. Many of us care for hubpages as it has cared for us. smile

32. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Yep, if you see rubbish rate it down or flag it.

No, I won't do it this.  Rating something DOWN is one thing.  It's a matter of opinion and that's ok.  I won't flag hubs though because I am neither paid nor trained to do so.
      Additionally, if it's a BAD flagging then I just wasted the time of the HP team and caused them MORE work.
      According to some of the people who flag hubs--HP staff is so busy they can't do their (paid) jobs to begin with so why potentially create more problems?

So don't do it!  Nobody cares if you do or not, as far as I can tell!

33. saleheensblog profile image59
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

flagged 8-10 hubs today,now i am sick.

1. Aficionada profile image79
      Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm smiling at this, but torn between saying "Kudos to you," "You poor thing," and "Get well soon!"

Why are you sick?  If you did the right thing, bad content will be removed and perhaps the writer will learn something.  Or perhaps the writer will not be permitted to spam the site, which hurts us all in the long run.

But if you made a mistake the Hub team will catch it and no harm is done.  A no-lose situation it seems to me!

I thought he was saying that reading or hopping the hubs that he ending up flagging had been a nauseating experience.

Then he can simply click on "Hubs" on the toolbar and choose "latest" for a different format which will accomplish basically the same thing.

34. profile image0
    Norah Caseyposted 13 years ago

Each member of the HubPages team has a required hopping quota to meet each month, and we have a contracted team member whose sole job is to hop hubs. Our engineers have been building new and improved filters to flag any content that *may* require moderation, which has greatly increased the moderators workload and seems to have made a difference in quality. There are certainly areas where we need to improve, such as low quality/spam requests and our turn around time on forum flags. Maintaining quality on a user generated content site is incredibly challenging, so any help we can get is greatly appreciated.

The only instance in which I expect a hubber to flag content is if a complaint is brought to us about TOS-violating content on the site. Rather than wait until your own hub/forum post/request is moderated, I would ask that you flag other violations at the time you see them.

1. profile image0

What you are describing here is very informative, and a great conclusion to the thread. In my opinion, Hub Hopping has nothing to do with "crowdsourcing." There are simply too many new accounts being opened and too many hubs being published every day to make it realistic for staff to review them all. The only alternative would be some form of censorship prior to publication, and HubPages as we know it would cease to exist.

2. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey, norah, thanks.  It is a cool section with so many new hubbers and of course hubs, there really seems to be no need for discussion, to each his own I'm trying to say

Hub Hopping is not a joke as per OP, but confess sometimes pretty funny!

Thanks for info

cheers!

3. raisingme profile image76

Thank you Nora.  This thread cleared up my misunderstandings in the area and I can certainly see that it must be challenging staying on top of it all, or catching up even.  I will flag when it is appropriate and enjoy a good read when I find one.  I noticed today there was far more good and complete hubs than bad and incomplete ones.  It is a great community here of staff and hubbers and I am very grateful to have found my way on to HubPages.

1. profile image0

Thanks raisingme smile

It is a useful tool for finding really great content as well. I hope people don't see the hopper as just a tool for flagging/rating. It can uncover wonderful works on the site that might otherwise be overlooked, especially as content volume continues to grow.

35. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

Marisa, HalJordan has been banned.

He seemed like he wanted to be banned, IMHO!

2. Marisa Wright profile image84

How surprising.  He sounded suspiciously like Adult Content, who sounded suspiciously like someone else who had already been banned.

1. profile image0

At least you got the final word - and deservedly so. He probably knows the TOS better than most.

2. profile image0

Quite curious, indeed. wink

36. Aficionada profile image79

How did you find that out (about HJ being banned)?  I wasn't surprised, considering the way he pushed the envelope.  I looked at the one hub he had before it was taken down.  It really seemed that he was daring people to report him.  I didn't, but I could see why someone might.

1. profile image0

Norah Casey insinuated as much. I clicked on his profile, and it said he was banned.

I see.  Thanks for the info.

37. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 13 years ago

Norah, I agree that it can help uncover hubs that you normally wouldn't see, but I think most just use it as a flagging means... I hardly ever use the feature, as I never find anything other than low quality hubs consisting of maybe a paragraph or two.

I hate to say it, as it has a good idea behind it, but I think it was a waste of programmer time. :-/

38. SuziGravenstuk profile image60
    SuziGravenstukposted 13 years ago

Hey, Hub Hoppers, I am a newbie to Hub. I am concerned about consistent, objective criteria for rating a Hub.

I see several complaints about "short" hubs. What do you consider "short" and what do you consider satisfying length?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)