I did it! I submitted my first manuscript!

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Chaotic Chica profile image60
    Chaotic Chicaposted 13 years ago

I can't tell you how nervous I am! It's truly a nerve-wracking experience to send your written baby out to be critized but I'm so sure that it's worth it. I mean, why else do so many of us do it? smile  I know not to keep my hopes up too high that it will get accepted the first time out but it sure would be nice! LOL I'd love to add my name to the list of hubbers that have published books!

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Keep positive and if you want it bad enough, it will happen for you.  Good luck and I really do wish you well smile

2. sarovai profile image72
      sarovaiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

congrats. all the best.smile smile smile

3. vox vocis profile image81
      vox vocisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good luck!

4. IntimatEvolution profile image67
      IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's is a wonderful accomplishment!  Wow-wee!

2. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

is it an adult content related book?

Might you provide us with an excerpt?

smile

3. Chaotic Chica profile image60

Thank you all so much for your well wishes!

GreekOne~it is adult in the way that it tells the tale of how an abused woman gets free and starts a fresh life on the right foot. The following is from the first chapter~

Finally understanding what people meant when they said that their lungs burned when they could not breathe, I was appallingly aware of my vision fading.  Panic was a gross understatement describing how utterly helpless and inept I felt.  Thousands of random thoughts and racing questions ran through my throbbing head at break-neck speed.  One screamed louder than the rest.
        I’m blacking out!  My God, my children are going to wake up from their nap and they are not going to have a mommy!

4. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Congrats, good job!

Chaotic Chicaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you!

5. Denise Handlon profile image85
    Denise Handlonposted 13 years ago

Wow!  I'm thrilled for you and we don't even know each other! lol

Congratulations and keep your fingers crossed...or legs crossed...or something like that!  smile 

Wishing you the best.

LOL Thank you!  (I'm even keeping my stomach crossed-or at least in knots!)

6. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

So cool! Congratulations on taking the plunge. Would you be willing to write a hub about your experience -- the writing and editing process of the manuscript, how you decided which publishers to submit to, any help/guidance you received, etc...

It would be oh so helpful to other aspiring published authors!

CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN!
    MM

Thank  you! I had not thought about writing a hub about it but I certainly think it wouldn't be a bad idea! Thanks for the tip.

7. ladyjane1 profile image70
    ladyjane1posted 13 years ago

Congrats, I would be interested in knowing how you edited it? Did you do it yourself or did you hire someone? I have always been curious about that....good luck! Cheers.

I wrote the rough draft, edited that, sent that off to friends, took their collective advice and edited again, and again, until I thought it would be something I would like to read and then sent it on it's way. smile

8. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 13 years ago

Congratulations, and best of luck to you!

Thank you very much! I will certainly keep everyone updated on how it all goes!

9. Chaotic Chica profile image60

{{{{drum rolls}}} And the verdict is in......THEY LIKED IT!!!!! They sent me a contract and everything!!! There aren't enough emoticons to portray just how super stoked I am!!!! After the fully refundable author investment is covered, production begins and it should be out in about a year, give or take a few months depending on circumstances!

10. Flightkeeper profile image69
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

You are awesome Chaotic! Way to go! Yahoooo!

Thank you, thank you! I certainly feel awesome!! I mean, I knew I liked what I wrote but you never really know what an actual proffesional is going to think, you know? And she was suprised to hear that it was my first time submitting it, too. Usually they say to expect to get turned down several times before finding someone to take you on, especially if you haven't published before. God is good and so it Karma and my mother (for having me spend so much time at the library!) and evertyhing and everyone else that conspired to make me write this! Haha! (I'm a little bit giddy, in case you couldn't tell!)

1. Flightkeeper profile image69
        Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's true, you have to go through so many rejections before you find someone who will publish.  At least that's what writers have told me.  Make sure your lawyer goes over the contract with a fine tooth comb.

Can I ask who the publisher of your book will be?

I have already had the lawyer review and everything is on the up and up. I am going through Tate Publishing.

11. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

I don't want to be the fly in the ointment, but just because the contract is legal doesn't mean it's a good deal for you.

The existence of a "fully refundable author investment" is the red-flag of death if you are looking for a conventional publisher, the type who will truly market your book, get it on bookstore shelves and all that stuff (and I don't care what their website says about having a "relationship" with major stores--having a conversation with an editor via email once counts as "a relationship" too, but it doesn't mean squat when it comes to getting your book published).  If they are taking money from you up front, well, I'm sorry to seem mean, but, of course "they liked it."

Real publishing houses don't take money from writers. Ever.

Neither do real agents. 

If you are wanting to self-publish, and they have presented themselves as a self-publshing outlet for you (like lulu.com) fine, but, given the scads of "scam" alerts you can easily find on them via Google, I suggest that, if you haven't sent them the money yet, you do a bit more homework.

(The fact that they got back to you in 11 days is another red flag.  Real publishers are buried in slush piles that take months to get through.)

1. galleryofgrace profile image70
      galleryofgraceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I second everything Shadesbreath says !  A reputable publisher will not respond in 2 weeks and definitely will not ask the author for money !~
      These are called vanity publishers. They prey on writers who simply want to see their name on a book, which is vain.
      Lulu is a much better choice or even Amazon.

I advise everyone not to pay a publisher- it's a scam.

1. Petra Vlah profile image60
        Petra Vlahposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I could not agree more with both Shadesbreath and galleryofgrace; I hope your contract is real, but it does not look like that to me. No way a reputable publishing house will ask you for "authore investment" - it sounds like vanity publishing, sorry to say

12. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 13 years ago

This is every writers dream ,I think , I don't know you at all , but I have fingers crossed for you. Good luck .

13. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Great job CC! smile

14. Flightkeeper profile image69
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

How much are they asking from you Chaotica?  Have you done a search on Tate Publishing?  You want to make sure that you are dealing with reputable people and I agree with Shadesbreath.  A normal contract usually gives you a check and not the other way around.

15. KCC Big Country profile image86
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I'm thrilled to death for you, but I agree with Flightkeeper and Shadesbreath.  I wouldn't be too quick to sign anything.  I too thought 11 days was a bit quick to have a reply.  I wish you the very best, just be careful.

16. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

I would strongly suggest giving Tate a good googling.  If you want to self-publish there are far cheaper ways to do it.  Tate typically charges about $4000.  Lulu or Createspace are free and acheive the same results.

17. profile image0
    Don Bookerposted 13 years ago

Don't be taken advantage of, i've no doubt you are a very good writer but don't enter into anything with a publisher who charges a writer to publish. Self-publish by all means but do extensive research first. This is NOT the way to go.

18. europewalker profile image81
    europewalkerposted 13 years ago

Congrats and good luck!

19. Chaotic Chica profile image60

Thank you all for your compliments and your concerns.  I found Tate publishing through the Writer's Guide and looked them up further online.  Of course it hurts a wee bit to be knocked off the cloud a bit but honest feedback is never bad.  This was my very first submission so I really was not sure what to expect and I kind of thought I stumbled onto a really great thing.  I think perhaps I will do a bit more digging at your suggestion and I really do want to thank you for giving me a heads up. smile

20. Jo Deslaurier profile image68
    Jo Deslaurierposted 13 years ago

Congratulations! I love your positive attitude; persistence is key and you have it in spades!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)