Church says Mormons can't lead its Scouts

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

Church says Mormons can't lead its Scouts

BY TIM FUNK - The Charlotte Observer

In shopping around for a Cub Scout program for their two sons, ages 6 and 8, Jeremy and Jodi Stokes decided on the one at Christ Covenant Church in Matthews.

The Stokeses, also of Matthews, weren't members of the evangelical megachurch, but they had many friends who were. The Cub Scout pack at their own church doesn't have a program for 6-year-old Tiger Scouts; but Christ Covenant's was big enough to take both their boys.

The couple even signed up to be Scout leaders - he would lead the Bears, she'd help with the Tigers - when they discovered the church needed more adult help. And when the Scouting officials at Christ Covenant found out Jeremy Stokes was an Eagle Scout, they were thrilled.
    read the rest..
    http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/10/21/ … -lead.html

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

they need to tell the Church, thanks for the use of the facility, but we will look other places. They are Boy Scouts, not Church Scouts..!

Does not mater as to their denomination.

2. Stump Parrish profile image62
      Stump Parrishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How many who support the action by the church in regards to Mormons also shield their children from that evil Faux News Network and Glenn Beck? Did they ask to have the mormon votes against homosexuality in California labelled invalid based on their differing beliefs? The BSA works with and serves children of all faiths. Again this is an attack on christianity that is supported by the christian religion. You gotta admire their atheistic tendencies and reactions. They have no problem dismissing a multitude of christian religions in addition to all the other belief systems past and present and yet, they cant understand how anyone could disbelieve their version of the same story. The uncontrollable need to measure the male appendage of everyone's personal, invisible, friend, has caused more deaths than any other basis for killing another human in history and, ya'll show no signs of giving up the measuring tape any time soon.

3. pylos26 profile image71
      pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just don't make good sense...Jodi and several of her sister wives could really have made a difference in the "lack of leadership" problem in the scout "tiger" program.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image73
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

Huh. I wonder how the BSA will ultimately handle it.

If it were up to me, I'd tell the church that they have no business telling someone they can't be a scout leader because they're a Mormon (or a Catholic, or a Buddhist for that matter). Either they stop the religious discrimination, or they lose their charter.

Also, the Mormon church and the BSA have a very close relationship. I wonder how, if at all, this situation will affect that relationship. Can a non-Mormon be a scout leader in a unit chartered to an LDS church?

1. profile image57
      exorterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mormons was coming to my house having Bible study with kids here at the house, at one point they told the kids that Jesus was a man that was taught by  God, I had to interrupt at that point and I read a couple of verses of the  Bible, Isa 9:6 being one, they agreed with me that Jesus was the Mighty God, then proceeded to say again that Jesus was a man taught by God so I stopped every thing, I would not want a scout leader for kids that might lead them from the true word, That is not discrimination, that is just making sure the kids will be taught right

1. Diane Inside profile image73
        Diane Insideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree here, I mean if this is a church with different doctrines then why would they let someone who has different beliefs and teachings lead their children. just seems logical to me.

I mean this is a church. If an atheist were to try to be a scout leader he should be rejected also.

You can't tell a church what they are going to teach their children it is wrong. That is for them to decide.

1. Stump Parrish profile image62

I understand the desire to remove the atheist from a situation where they might be called upon to teach about religion. I mean it's been shown recently that most atheists know more about religion than the followers of said religion. Can't have your kiddies learning the facts about your religion, right? It's your right to shield your children from anything that you don't personally believe in, fact have no place in their education do they?

Well you can think what you want , but If you had a scout troop that is composed of children from atheist families, do you think they would want a person who was teaching them religion leading them.

I don't think so.

1. pisean282311 profile image63
              pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well you have a point...now if someone asks me i would call christ as plain human...now a christian family wont want me to teach this to their kids..it is understandable...

thank you pisean  thats all I'm saying.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
            Wesman Todd Shawposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL!

Why keep any reference to the beliefs of others from the presence of children? Are you that insecure in your beliefs that youy assume the kids are? Fact of life...People have different beliefs and it is their right to have em. People learn about others by experiencing diversity. Do you fear the differences in people or is it the chance to gain some knowledge these differences provide?

No I do not fear anything, It is the preference of the parents to teach their children religion, specifically their religion.  Once the children get older they may decide to believe differently and thats fine. But if the parents decide to expose them to the teachings of their beliefs what is wrong with that?

Children get plenty of education outside of church activities as well. But this is specified as a church "religious" activity. It is meant to teach the values of this religion.

It is not keeping them from the reference to the beliefs of others it is teaching the beliefs of this religion.  They can learn about others elswhere. In a different setting.

3. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

the Boy scouts of America claim to be founded on Christian beliefs..so they would also have to turn down Muslim,Hindu, Jewish and any other non christian to be the leader..right?
    maybe its time to change the rules or have another religion make up a group...roll

1. Druid Dude profile image59
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Must be a lack of pedophiles in the LDS. Naah, couldn't be. (Double slam, compliments of Druidhatesneofascisthitleryouthgroups.com smile

1. Stump Parrish profile image62

Just out of curiosity, is the homosexual preacher in Atlanta a pedophile or just a persecuted christian. He's guilty of statatory rape but has already said "MY Bad God" and deserves forgiveness, Right?

The BSA states on their website that they work with all faiths. The problem is not the BSA it's the christian church trying to force the BSA to abandon it's principles and history. The BSA has chapters in Mormon churches...end of story.

3. Stump Parrish profile image62

The BSA states it promotes a positive faith environment, it does not state that it promotes a narrow minded christian agenda. This is an inter faith dispute that has caught the BSA in the middle in god's name, can I get an amen?

4. Stump Parrish profile image62

Go to the BSA home page, copy and paste the statement that says the BSA was founded on Christian beliefs...it exists just like the proof that America was founded as a Christian nation...in the minds of a lot of diludional people who refuse to fact check, They hit 2 or 3 religious sites and based on no differing opinion claim to know the gospel about anything. If you have a question about the BSA, why would you go to a sesame street sight for verification? Rah, Rah, Rah, go satan. Just saying ya know?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)