Is someone "following" you?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)
  1. J Sunhawk profile image67
    J Sunhawkposted 13 years ago

I've managed to pick up a few hubbers "following" me.

What's the proper response?

Send a thank you e-mail?

"Follow" them in return?

Ignore it?

Just trying to figure out hub etiquette...

2. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

Welcome to HP!

You will gain fans, er, followers, when one likes what they read.  You can visit their profile and read a few of their hubs.  Leave a comment or two and then decide if you like what you read or not.  If you like what you read, then it's always a good idea to follow.  If you do, you can receive notices in your email informing you that they have written new hubs which you can read.

If you don't like what you read, then you don't have to follow.  No one will take offense.  smile

The choice is yours -- it's always at the touch of a button!

1. profile image0
      china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes - welcome to HP.

I agree with Beth, I get notification be email, if the person leaves me mail or comments on my hubs I respond by reading theirs, if they don't I look at their profile and decide if I DON'T want to follow, if it a 'professionl' follow with no comment and the writer is not an obnoxious git then I follow them in return smile  Hope this helps.

2. J Sunhawk profile image67
      J Sunhawkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the reply, all. The Hub community is always helpful, and it's always interesting to discover the various nuances that make this community work.

3. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
    Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years ago

I did follow a few of my followers back. Only the ones I liked.

4. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

It is completely up to you.

You notice when you follow people, some people follow back and some people don't no one gets upset(that I know of).

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Some do, there was a thread a bit back where someone wanted to make sure that people he follows followed him and commented on his hubs or he was going to drop them.

5. Lily Rose profile image85
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

Why do people follow someone just to "return the favor"?  I just don't get it!  When I receive notification that someone is following me, I usually do check out their profile and if I see an interesting hub or two I'll read them and comment if appropriate, but I'll only follow someone if I truly think I'll enjoy reading their hubs and have the time to do so (isn't that the point?).  My time is very limited and I just can't be reading hubs all day, yet I do enjoy getting notofications when someone I'm following publishes something new.

Perhaps those that follow hundreds of hubbers don't get the notifications...

6. Jeff Berndt profile image72
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

Welcome, indeed!

A quick note to thank the person who's following you is always nice, but not required. If someone sends you fan mail, a reply is also nice, but not required.

You're never required or expected (or at least shouldn't be expected) to follow someone merely because they're following you. IMO, the only good reason to follow someone is that you genuinely enjoy their writing.

Just be nice to people and you ought to be fine. smile

7. SteveoMc profile image71
    SteveoMcposted 13 years ago

I suppose that following someone is a bit of a complement.  I like to have followers, have no problem with people that do not follow, and I have no problem un-following someone that I change my mind about.

I sometimes follow someone when I like their profile.  When I get my notification of new hubs from those I follow, I can quickly see if there is anything I like.   I read only a few of the hubs, but love getting the long list.   

The list always reminds me of someone I liked at one time and then I can visit them again.   

As far as I am concerned, you should follow anyone you want to for any reason you want to.  You can always change your mind, or you might get to know someone you otherwise would not. 

To follow or not to follow is not really the question, it is more like a whim.   Glad we have it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)